Sara Kingdom is the Patrician of Ankh-Monkpork, Part III

Week 3: Day 5 & 6

[Vimes] gave Vetinari a look that said: If you take this any further, I will have to lie.

Vetinari returned one that said: I know.

"You yourself are not too badly injured?" the Patrician said aloud.

"Just a few scratches, sir," said Vimes.

Vetinari gave him a look that said: Broken ribs, I'm certain of it.

Vimes returned one that said: Nothing. 

Fitness Points

• 11 hours of sleep
  • -1 for bad life choices
  • Move Like a Snake: Rowing Interval Workout (5 points available)
  • Move Like a Snake: Workout Extras 
  • Merckle & Stingbat's Very Famous Brown Sauce: liters of water
  • Merckle & Stingbat's Very Famous Brown Sauce: Bonus (2 points for 3 liters of water, the odd extra point for some sort of effort)

Life Points

• All Control Starts With the Self: Meditation (5 points available)
  • All Control Starts With the Self: Desk Habit Trigger (1 point available)
  • All Control Starts With the Self: Bedtime Habit Trigger (1 point available)
  • If You Can Stand the Excitement: Make a Detailed Daily Schedule (1 point available)
  • Know What's Going to Happen: Five minutes planning on Task A (1 point available)
  • Know What's Going to Happen: Five minutes planning on Task B (1 point available)
  • Learn the Words: Duolinguo (1 point available)
  • 21 Productivity Bonus
  • 2 Adulting Bonus 
  • 0 Writing Goal Bonus

Total Points: 47 points

Actual amount of sleep is going to have to be independently verified by my activity tracker later.  There was so little of it that I can't tell.  That was half my fault, and half not my fault.  But it's going to make today tough.

(Merging in Saturday, since Friday was, um, a write-off.)

Week 3: Day 7

Death was standing behind a lectern, poring over a map. He looked at Mort as if he wasn’t entirely there.

YOU HAVEN’T HEARD OF THE BAY OF MANTE, HAVE YOU? he said.

“No, sir,” said Mort.

FAMOUS SHIPWRECK THERE.

“Was there?”

THERE WILL BE, said Death, IF I CAN FIND THE DAMN PLACE.

A Sunday non-Vetinary quote from Death, who's possibly the best damn character in the series who isn't Vetinari (or Vimes, or Granny Weatherwax, or maybe the Librarian... okay, top five, anyway, and I'd hate to have to rank them).

Fitness Points

• 7 hours of sleep
  • Merckle & Stingbat's Very Famous Brown Sauce: Bonus (2 points for 3 liters of water, the odd extra point for some sort of effort)

Life Points

• If You Can Stand the Excitement: Make a Detailed Daily Schedule (1 point available)
  • Know What's Going to Happen: Five minutes planning on Task A (1 point available)
  • Know What's Going to Happen: Five minutes planning on Task B (1 point available)
  • 15 Productivity Bonus
  • 5 Adulting Bonus 
  • 0 Writing Goal Bonus

Total Points: 40 points

Phew.  Busy weekend.  Survived.  And got some interesting news, which might move along those two goals I've been avoiding.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mistr said:

I re-read Men at Arms this weekend. More good scenes with Veterinari. I especially enjoyed Carrot and Angua getting to know each other.

I hope you had some recovery time this weekend and are ready to kick week 4.

That is a brilliant Vetinari book.  Mostly he's just pushing pieces around the board, but then suddenly he's not.  Carrot and Angua are both great characters, and I have a huge soft spot for Cuddy and Detritus.

This was more of a heavy work weekend than a recovery weekend, but I made it!  And kept just about ball juggled, except my workouts.  Oops.  I was pretty wiped from working, though, so we'll call that manual labor.

Week 4: Day 1

tumblr_n08gd2PlT71t751wmo3_500.jpg

Fitness Points

• 6 hours of sleep

Life Points

• 8 Productivity Bonus
  • 8 Adulting Bonus 
  • 0 Writing Goal Bonus

Total Points: 26 points

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Kishi said:

So hey remind me: if I were to hypothetically start Discworld, what's the first book? (for even I know that the first book is not the first book).

So hypothetically Chris and I are winning you over? :)  Start with Guards! Guards! and from there, you can either read chronologically, dipping back for some of the earlier books, or mix and match approximately as series within the series, or some combination of the two.  If you're mixing and matching, what I'd do is hit these up early, staying in order within the thematic series, but not bothering too much about the order between thematic series:

City Watch Books: Guards! Guards!, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay (And you could maybe tack on The Truth, which is not a Watch book, but is a nice segue into some of the broader Ankh-Morpork books, and introduces some characters and developments you'll start seeing in later books.  IMO, it's also where the tone starts changing again, and the writing and the world feel like they've hit a new stride.)

Witches Books: Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad

Death Books: Mort, Reaper Man, Soul Music

Most of these are really, really good books, and they'll give you a sense of all the different characters and themes, and give you enough basic Discworld knowledge to read anything else you feel like in whatever order.  It's honestly pretty flexible, so you can go your own way.  He does a good job of keeping the books largely self-contained, despite the huge crossover.  I've done some reading way out of order, and it doesn't really suffer.  I'll just say, because you'll see these on a lot of "best Discworld book" lists and might be tempted to skip right to them, that Hogfather is helped by Soul Music, a certain amount of Death, and general Discworldiness, Monstrous Regiment ties in a little better after Feet of Clay and The Truth, and Night Watch is helped by at least three or four City Watch books.  (Of all of those, Night Watch is the only one that's not basically self-contained.  The premise relies on being somewhat familiar with the characters and the city for a real understanding of what's going on and the emotional punches of the subtext, and it doesn't hold your hand a lot.)

• Like 1

Week 4: Day 2

"A banker? Me?"

"Yes, Mr. Lipwig," said Vetinari.

"But I don't know anything about running a bank!"

"Good. No preconceived ideas."

"I've robbed banks!"

"Capital! Just reverse your thinking," said Lord Vetinari, beaming. "The money should be on the inside."

Fitness Points

• 6 hours of sleep
  • Move Like a Snake: Some Sort of Workout (5 points available)

Life Points

• 8 Productivity Bonus
  • 0 Adulting Bonus 
  • 0 Writing Goal Bonus

Total Points: 21 points

I do like the Moist von Lipwig books.  I need to get Going Postal back from my sister...

On 3/22/2016 at 9:45 PM, Kishi said:

So hey remind me: if I were to hypothetically start Discworld, what's the first book? (for even I know that the first book is not the first book).

What Sara said.

I actually started with Monstrous Regiment, and then got into the Guards series, but I'd agree a little extra background improves the read.  All of the Witches books I like.  Mort is my least favorite of the Death book (I prefer Reaper Man), but it does lay the groundwork for other Death books.  And yes, read other books before Night Watch. 

Starting with Guards Guards! you get the evolution of the characters (particularly Vimes, Vetinari, and Carrot). 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I shall implement your advice. :)

Woot!

4 minutes ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I actually started with Monstrous Regiment, and then got into the Guards series, but I'd agree a little extra background improves the read.  All of the Witches books I like.  Mort is my least favorite of the Death book (I prefer Reaper Man), but it does lay the groundwork for other Death books.  And yes, read other books before Night Watch. 

Starting with Guards Guards! you get the evolution of the characters (particularly Vimes, Vetinari, and Carrot). 

I didn't know whether to rec Mort as a starting point, because I heard a BBC adaptation of it, rather than reading the book.  I think it's not essential to start there, Reaper Man and Soul Music are enough to introduce the key points.  So yeah, you could start with Reaper Man rather than Mort, and go back for Mort later.

Guards! Guards! is just loaded with amazing characters and a lot of fun stuff, and it's a very solid start for a lot of the major Discworld stuff.  There is a lot of evolution from there, each series has a lot of continuity for the characters within it, major life changes and new characters and things.  Outside the series, that won't be so evident, though the characters will wander in and out of other books with the odd mention of this or that.  (Like, they're major characters in their own books, and minor characters in other people's books.  It's a lot of fun.  You get to see most of these characters from a lot of different angles, not all flattering.  One of the real joys of the series, IMO, is this slow development of a very rich and complicated world, through a lot of different people's eyes.  There's a splendid realism to it.  And one of the other joys of the series is the buildup of a huge amount of kindness and wisdom and humanity in the writing.  In one or two books, they'd be good books.  In ten, twenty, thirty books spanning decades and a massive number of characters and themes, it becomes a different experience entirely.  And they're pretty cracking good irreverent adventure stories on top of that.  It's very cleverly done.)

Not to be derogatory, because to me it's a compliment: such a world honestly reminds me of the best fanfiction I read when I was younger, which I still go back and read every now and again. The thought of that kind of world, in all its complexity is... well, it's truly awesome to me.

• Like 1

Week 4: Day 3

I like the Going Postal movie.  This is somewhat controversial, because it departs from the book in ways that can feel significant to fans of the book, but are necessary to make a movie from it.  But it captures the book and the world and the tone brilliantly, and looks gorgeous, and has an immensely charming cast.  It is splendid and made of happiness.  (And, frankly, if it bothers people that some of the facts are different, well, Discworld's approach to its own continuity is the reason for the History Monks.)

And it has these goofballs engaging in postal humor while (mostly) in character, in an outtake that is possibly the best thing to emerge out of the making of the movie.  Of course Moist von Lipwig is a dancer.  I'm more surprised about Mr. Pump.

ObVetinari: That man put these clowns in charge of reopening the failed post office.  There's a very dry sense of humor at work there.

Fitness Points

• 4 hours of sleep

Life Points

• 6 Productivity Bonus
  • 0 Adulting Bonus 
  • 0 Writing Goal Bonus

Total Points: 17 points

• Like 1

I like the Movie too, and while I like some of the plot happenings in the book better, I do think they nailed it with the cast and setting.  The Hogfather is a pretty good movie, too.

For Mort, the book - it's not a bad place to start with the Death series - it is kind of the first big turning point of Death becoming much more, shall we say, humanesque?

9 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

I like the Movie too, and while I like some of the plot happenings in the book better, I do think they nailed it with the cast and setting.  The Hogfather is a pretty good movie, too.

For Mort, the book - it's not a bad place to start with the Death series - it is kind of the first big turning point of Death becoming much more, shall we say, humanesque?

The movie tidied things up a lot to fit into a movie.  It's one of those unfortunate but necessary things in adapting books.  The book was a huge cast, a huge timeframe, lots of flashbacks, a couple of elements that worked very well in prose but would have been very hard to do well visually (like the mail sorter, and Anghammarad).  Not including Anghammarad was a freaking tragedy, but if you're abridging things, none of the people or scenes he interacts with are strictly necessary for the plot.  First you cut that stuff, then you cut the stuff you can cover for easily, like slightly changing Reacher Gilt's role in order to take out flashbacks, but only in some minor facts, not in a way that makes him untrue to who Reacher Gilt is.  It's not the same story, precisely, but they did it well, and it's very true to the feel and intent of the book.  And, arguably, they hit that climax with even more of a bang than the book, because of the changes they made.  Hogfather was very good, and also extremely faithful to the book, I think, which was impressive.  It benefited from having some episodic bits that could easily be cut without losing important plot or characters.  It was a book that condensed well (although I could have done with some more Death of Rats). :)

• Like 1

Week 4: Day 4

Vetinari pushed open the double doors. "Voilà," he said.

"That’s some kind of musical instrument, isn’t it sir?"

"No, Commander, the word means, 'What is that in the table?'" said the Patrician sharply.

Fitness Points

• 6 hours of sleep

Life Points

• 12 Productivity Bonus
  • 0 Adulting Bonus 
  • 0 Writing Goal Bonus

Total Points: 28 points

13 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

The movie tidied things up a lot to fit into a movie.  It's one of those unfortunate but necessary things in adapting books.  The book was a huge cast, a huge timeframe, lots of flashbacks, a couple of elements that worked very well in prose but would have been very hard to do well visually (like the mail sorter, and Anghammarad).  Not including Anghammarad was a freaking tragedy, but if you're abridging things, none of the people or scenes he interacts with are strictly necessary for the plot.  First you cut that stuff, then you cut the stuff you can cover for easily, like slightly changing Reacher Gilt's role in order to take out flashbacks, but only in some minor facts, not in a way that makes him untrue to who Reacher Gilt is.  It's not the same story, precisely, but they did it well, and it's very true to the feel and intent of the book.  And, arguably, they hit that climax with even more of a bang than the book, because of the changes they made.  Hogfather was very good, and also extremely faithful to the book, I think, which was impressive.  It benefited from having some episodic bits that could easily be cut without losing important plot or characters.  It was a book that condensed well (although I could have done with some more Death of Rats). :)

YES. THIS.

I mean, I don't know the material in this particular instance of adaptation to film, but the concepts you talk about I do agree with, and I'm so glad someone else gets it. It seems like everyone I talk to is all about trying to cram as much of the book onto the screen as you can manage, when that's not how it works.

8 hours ago, Kishi said:

YES. THIS.

I mean, I don't know the material in this particular instance of adaptation to film, but the concepts you talk about I do agree with, and I'm so glad someone else gets it. It seems like everyone I talk to is all about trying to cram as much of the book onto the screen as you can manage, when that's not how it works.

I agree too, usually.  The things left out were more flavor, as Sara mentioned, than necessary to the plot.  There were a couple of scenes changed in their intent that I didn't quite agree with, but then again, I wasn't in the director's chair.  :)

• Like 1

Week 4: Day 5, 6, & 7

tumblr_nll0r8wYEJ1s39mh4o1_500.png

Fitness Points

• 22 hours of sleep

Life Points

• 8 Productivity Bonus
  • 0 Adulting Bonus 
  • 0 Writing Goal Bonus

Total Points: 46 points

I am reading Guards! Guards! because of you. I am physically missing it whenever I'm not reading it.

I haven't felt that way in a while.

So, you know. Thanks for that.

And as for you, well, didn't you have a productive few days. Excellent. :)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Kishi said:

I am reading Guards! Guards! because of you. I am physically missing it whenever I'm not reading it.

I haven't felt that way in a while.

So, you know. Thanks for that.

And as for you, well, didn't you have a productive few days. Excellent. :)

I was wondering how you were getting on with it.  You are having the proper reaction to that book, and I approve. :)  I recommend Men at Arms next, because you will probably die without more City Watch, and then some Witches or Death (or maybe Witches and Death) for variety.

Not my most productive challenge days, I guess, but I earned a little slacking this challenge, and what I got done this weekend, I worked hard on.  I mean, I helped my neighbor paint the pool.  (I finally got the sleep I've been needing this challenge.  Twelve hours last night.  Amazing.)

• Like 3
16 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I was wondering how you were getting on with it.  You are having the proper reaction to that book, and I approve. :)  I recommend Men at Arms next, because you will probably die without more City Watch, and then some Witches or Death (or maybe Witches and Death) for variety.

Not my most productive challenge days, I guess, but I earned a little slacking this challenge, and what I got done this weekend, I worked hard on.  I mean, I helped my neighbor paint the pool.  (I finally got the sleep I've been needing this challenge.  Twelve hours last night.  Amazing.)

Ooooooh, twelve hours, not twenty-two hours. I looked like, <(0 o 0<), when I saw...

16 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Week 4: Day 5, 6, & 7

tumblr_nll0r8wYEJ1s39mh4o1_500.png

Fitness Points

• 22 hours of sleep

12 hours makes more sense.

2 hours ago, buckswrath said:

Ooooooh, twelve hours, not twenty-two hours. I looked like, <(0 o 0<), when I saw...

12 hours makes more sense.

Ha!  Yeah, not all on one day.  That's 22 hours over three days, with 12 on the final day.  (When I miss a day, I've started scoring multiple days at a go.)

I had no idea there were Discworld movies. More to add to our household movie watching list.

Good for you helping your neighbor paint the pool. Hopefully that means that pool season will open again soon.

Also good job on catching up on sleep.