Minis & General Chat

Teros

Since we don't get a break anymore:

Time Travel - With people usually already having a decent idea of what they are working on; what would you like to attempt in a future challenge?  It doesn't have to be monumental. It doesn't have to be a year from now.  Just explain something that you are interested in doing/achieving in the near future.

Now that you have that thing, is there a way to break it down into incremental goals or is this a 1-time thing?  If this is something in the future, what can you do to prepare yourself (body OR mind) to tackle this future *thing*?

Since I have no idea if the format changes with points anymore, I'm personally going to count it toward 'Constitution'.  Adventurers are well-rounded, with their primary stat being Constitution. Therefore as you level up your life, that will be the bulk of your points.

• Like 5

Time to flex some muscles. Into the first week, let's add some fitness. This is, after all, nerdfitness.

a565503ffcbea220_push-up-1.preview.jpg

This weeks' fitness addition is pushups.  To determine how many to do, take your first and last name's first letter and see what letter of the alphabet they are.  For instance,

M = 1a2b3c4d5e6f7g8h9i10j11k12l13m = 13 of them
B=1a2b=2. 

So 13+2=15 pushups.  I need to do 15 pushups to my workouts this week.

Food, glorious food!

McDonalds and Subway

Dominoes Pizza, and Tennesse takeaway

Wait no. Not those at all.  This week's challenge is to get enough protein in your diet.  There's been plenty of see-sawing advice but the takeaway is that you should *aim* for 1 gram per lean pound of bodyweight.  When I did the figured in what I normally eat, I was pretty low. I know that I haven't been eating enough, especially with the extra workout that I'm doing.

Lunge Forward

Instead of the 'spelling game' that I almost suggested, this week is about lunging forward.  The same idea as the prior mini works here for how many you do but instead of first initials, it's last letters.

Mike Frist=  e+t = 5+20=25.

What I would like to do is eat that steak in the picture you posted.  Mmmmm.

Mini 1:

To be honest, I still haven't even figured out my goals for this challenge.  But a longer term goal is that I want to be able to take hours long hikes in the beautiful parks of WI, and to do that I have to build the constitution/stamina up from my extremely low level right now.  I am already seeing over the course of Feb challenge, my workout yesterday was far more intense than my workout at the beginning of the month.  So I'll just keep increasing duration and intensity gradually to build more con/sta.

• Like 1

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

And now I want steak... although I like mine the opposite way as pureleeawesome, I want my well done :P The cooks at The Keg, when I worked there, hated it when I ordered steak from them :P took longer to make mine :P haha suckers!

So time travel... hmm... on a totally not NF related goal, I'd like to go to another country for a week and being ultra touristy. On he NF side of things hmm... I guess I'd like to one day be able to say, without regret or without lying a bit, that I've been primal (I like cheese) for a year.

If I got the chance to go back in time I'd remove the item that inspired my Mom to name me what she did... I hate my name.

• Like 3

If I got the chance to go back in time I'd remove the item that inspired my Mom to name me what she did... I hate my name.

You've mentioned this a couple of times and I have been dying to ask but you might have mentioned what she named you in the Yak's Head once. Does it begin with A?

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Mini 1: In the spirit of Adventuring, I'm hoping to get more into hillwalking this year, starting with the 2333ft Tinto Hill. I'd planned to do that one in a challenge last year, but weather scuppered it.

• Like 4

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

Sometime during the last challenge I became kind of obsessed with the idea of actually being able to do an Honest-To-God pull-up. Given my current body mass to upper-body strength ratio, this goal is not going to be met, um, anytime soon. To achieve this goal, I'm seeing this as two goals meeting in the middle:

1) Decrease mass.

2) Increase upper body strength.

3) ????

4) Profit!

*ahem*

The weight thing will start moving in the right direction if I successfully navigate the challenges I've set this month. For the upper body strength thing, I'm following the plan in one of the Academy articles, which basically boils down to:

One-arm rows <<< Inverse rows <<< Assisted (or maybe jumping?) pull ups <<< Pull ups

At the moment I'm still in one-arm territory, but I'm consistently doing 5x5 with a 30-pound dumbbell. I think this week at the gym I'm going to try to find a good spot to try inverse rows, and see what kind of angle I can tackle those at. Eventually (not sure if I can do this by the end of challenge), I'd like to be able to do inverse rows flat, and then reassess my progress toward becoming a monkey.

• Like 2

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer - [ STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

So time travel... hmm... on a totally not NF related goal, I'd like to go to another country for a week and being ultra touristy. On he NF side of things hmm... I guess I'd like to one day be able to say, without regret or without lying a bit, that I've been primal (I like cheese) for a year.

Does visiting RI count?

S5e24_Finn_raising_eyebrow.png

It's not a bad name, just odd. But based on that laundry list in your family, that's fairly common to have more unique names.  My whole family is boring as sin for names.
  • Like 1

Oooh, I forgot to ask.

If we're someone designating points via NF Character Creator, how many points should we give ourselves for completing this mini? You only mentioned Con.

Info has been rare and there isn't a whole lot of chatting done between people at the higher levels. I was always doing 1 point any time there is a mini.  So +1 Con.

Sometime during the last challenge I became kind of obsessed with the idea of actually being able to do an Honest-To-God pull-up. Given my current body mass to upper-body strength ratio, this goal is not going to be met, um, anytime soon. To achieve this goal, I'm seeing this as two goals meeting in the middle:

1) Decrease mass.

3) ????

4) Profit!

*ahem*

The weight thing will start moving in the right direction if I successfully navigate the challenges I've set this month. For the upper body strength thing, I'm following the plan in one of the Academy articles, which basically boils down to:

One-arm rows <<< Inverse rows <<< Assisted (or maybe jumping?) pull ups <<< Pull ups

At the moment I'm still in one-arm territory, but I'm consistently doing 5x5 with a 30-pound dumbbell. I think this week at the gym I'm going to try to find a good spot to try inverse rows, and see what kind of angle I can tackle those at. Eventually (not sure if I can do this by the end of challenge), I'd like to be able to do inverse rows flat, and then reassess my progress toward becoming a monkey.

Bent

Over

Rows

This can be bar or dumb for usage, but I think have one bar makes it more...idk...conditioned correctly.

• Like 2

Bar means you use your whole body more equally so you even out your strength. I know I'm more likely to pull my weaker wide doing pull ups if I'm doing dumbbell rows vs barbell rows.

But use what you have if it is an issue and do what feels right ^_~ we all know ourselves better than we know one another. ^_^

And yes Teros, that does include RI ^_~

• Like 1

1) Decrease mass.

3) ????

4) Profit!

*ahem*

This is something I am working on! I do a combination of Inverse Rows and Assisted Pull-ups atm (btw, inverse rows you can scale by foot placement!). Muscle & Fitness Hers had a great 3 x /week exercise set up to work on this - I'll have to see if I can find it.

My goal in the future is to start a yoga habit. I dislike yoga. It's just not my thing. But between the strength and flexibility that comes with it, I need to at least find a happy medium with this.

• Like 2

My goal in the future is to start a yoga habit. I dislike yoga. It's just not my thing. But between the strength and flexibility that comes with it, I need to at least find a happy medium with this.

The One where Sylvaa begrudgingly stretchesTM.

• Like 2