Grayspeed Trains With The Force

Grayspeed

The fact that I've been a member of this forum for 6 months and haven't done a Star Wars themed challenge is ridiculous..

Main Quest.

My main quest is to develop my confidence and physical health/fitness to the point where my low self esteem no longer holds me back from living life the way I'd like to.

This challenge I'll be taking inspiration from one of the greatest franchises ever and training like a Jedi. The ever-present pushup goal is still here, and I'll be working on overcoming a fear of inversions, getting better at chinups/pullups, and being more organised with my workouts.

Quest 1. Hand Balancing. +2 DEX

The Jedi strive for balance, both in the Force and in their mentality. Also, they spend a lot of time doing handstands and levitating stuff. I want to do that.

In order to overcome my fear of being upside down I'll be practising hand balancing and general "upside down-ness" 3 times a week every day.

This article will be my go-to source.

luke-in-training.jpg

Quest 2. Force Push(up). +3 STA 

The force push is the essential force technique when in combat. It also looks pretty damn cool.

I'll improve my pushing capabilities by increasing the amount of pushups I can do in five sets to 82 total reps. As my current total is 76, this means an increase of 6 reps in 4 weeks. I incorporate a pushup test into my workouts once a week.

giphy.gif

Quest 3. Hangin' with Obi-Wan. +3 STR

Floors in a Galaxy Far, Far Away are pretty unreliable. Obi-Wan in particular spent most of the Clone War era hanging off the edge of stuff during important duels. Lesson learned: Jedi need to be able to hang on to stuff.

This challenge I aim to increase my Chin-up Flex Hold time to 25 seconds. As my current time is around 10-13 seconds this should prove quite the challenge. I will test this at the end of the challenge, allowing 3 attempts at reaching my goal time. 

Hang.png.89de39a1bc795d38a946258debed68f

There will be a mid-challenge chin-up flex hold test. Final goal figure may be increased (but not decreased) depending on results.

Quest 4. Creating a Holocron. +2WIS

A Holocron is a mystical object that Force users create in order to store their knowledge and wisdom. I'm no Jedi Master, but I think it's a good idea to start recording and taking notes on my workouts.

I will use this challenge thread to keep track of my workouts, including notes on progression (or lack thereof).

star-wars-rebels-path-of-the-jedi-kanan-

Grading

A (100%), B (75%), C (50%), D (25%), F (0%)

A

B

C

D

F

Quest 1

26 days completed

23 days completed

20 days completed

17 days completed

14 or less days completed

Quest 2

82 or more reps

81 reps

80 reps

79 reps

78 or less reps

Quest 3

25 seconds or more

22 seconds

20 seconds

18 seconds

16 seconds or less

Quest 4

Pass/Fail basis. If even on day is missed, grade= F

• Like 6

Level 19 Jedi/Assassin in-training. 

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

"Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not." - Uncle Iroh

Main Quest.

My main quest is to develop my confidence and physical health/fitness to the point where my low self esteem no longer holds me back from living life the way I'd like to.

This. This is my life in a nutshell and you've summed it up perfectly. You have a great theme, and great quests. Good luck and may the Force be with you ;)

• Like 4

Armbalances, pushups, all great stuff! I love that article, it had some great points about why it's so terrifying to try to balance on your hands, I'm bookmarking that one!

I'm also loving how well you put the theme into your challenges, early planning works :)

• Like 2

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Day 1

Not a very exciting day challenge-wise, I'm afraid.

Force Push(ups): Pushup test will probably happen either tomorrow or Thursday. I'm leaning towards tomorrow right now.

Hand Balancing: I found this video that introduced me to a modification of the crow pose that I found really helpful for getting used to moving my centre of gravity. Did about 3 minutes of this then worked Downward Facing Dog into my  minute mobility flow. What's going to be hard with this is making baby steps, but not using baby steps as an excuse not to progress onto something scarier. 

Holocron: No workout scheduled for today, but I feel the need to get sweaty so a mini cardio session (probably jumping jack intervals) may occur after dinner. I'll update if necessary. **Edit** Did a brief warmup then 20 minutes of jumping jack intervals(50 seconds work, 10 seconds rest), followed by stretching and a few more Crow Pose attempts. 

• Like 6

Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 16 | 17 | 18 |

I've been working on the upside down thing also.  One thing that really helped me with the crow pose is to have something below my head (like a yoga block) so I know if I fall forward I won't smash my face into the floor.  :playful:   I actually DID smash my face into the floor and couple of times so that didn't help with the whole 'fear of being upside down' thing.  

• Like 3

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

Day 2

Force Push(ups): Sets of 20|16|15|14|13 for 78 reps. Which is an improvement of 2 from last week  :)

Holocron: Warmup = Joint mobility, bear crawls, kettlebell halo, kettlebell figure 8, jumping jacks. I probably wont record my warmups as they are all pretty much the same, reps/duration varies based on how much warming up I need.

Lower and core superset - Goblet Squats (10), Alternating Lunges (10 per leg), Shoulder Taps (10 per side). 5 sets, no rest.

Pushup progression - Max reps pushups. 5 sets with 90-120 seconds rest.

Chin-up proggression - Chin-up dropsets. Max chinups, then negatives until I reach 8 reps

Kettlebell/HIIT finisher - Kettlebell Swings (15), One-Armed Kettlebell Swings (5 per arm). 5 Sets, 20 seconds rest. Then basic Burpees - 5 reps, 10 seconds rest.

Then about 5 minutes of stretching, didn't attempt any balancing as arms were fried. 

Need to figure out a better way of typing out workouts..

• Like 4

Your spoiler shows 25% for progress on a one handed pushup.  What does 25% represent?  25% of a pushup?

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Your spoiler shows 25% for progress on a one handed pushup.  What does 25% represent?  25% of a pushup?

Yupp. 25% = halfway down, 50% = all the way to the floor, 75% = all the way down and halfway back up, etc...

• Like 2

This challenge I aim to increase my Chin-up Flex Hold time to 25 seconds. As my current time is around 10-13 seconds this should prove quite the challenge.

This should be doable.  I went from 7 seconds to 27 seconds over 4 weeks with 10 training days for them.

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Day 3

Hand Balancing: Did quite well today, rested my knee against a door frame to stabilise myself. Not really sure if I'm getting the form right, though. Will probably film myself to check.

Holocron: Trail running. Raining. Cold. Wet. Muddy. Awesome. Did about 25 minutes and took it slow due to intense muddiness. 

• Like 3

Trying a slightly different format for Day 4

Hand Balancing: Slowly building up time, could maybe get 2 seconds on a good day

Holocron: Took me ages to get warmed up today, no idea why..

Superset 1

Leg Assisted Pullups - Max reps (started at 12, went down to 7 by the end)

Jumping Squats - 10 reps

5 sets,60 seconds rest

Superset 2

Ball Pushups - Max reps (8 in every set apart form the last where I got 7)

Kettlebell Swings - 25 reps

5 sets,60 seconds rest

Funtime Finisher

One-armed Kettlebell Swings - 3 reps

Kettlebell Rack Sqats - 3 reps

One-armed Kettlebell Swings - 3 reps

Kettlebell One-armed Press - 3 reps

10 minute timer, repeat each side AMRAP.

I didn't enjoy the finisher too much, just didn't feel right. I usually do this as a stand alone workout when I don't have much time. I'll probably swap this for loaded carries or something next time.

• Like 4

Day 5

Hand Balancing: Did a few Crow Pose attempts at random and had varied results. Might increase the number of days for this one as 3 seems a bit low for something I could be doing every day..

Holocron: Day off. 

• Like 1

Day 6

Hand Balancing: Did assisted Crow Pose with my feet on a toolbox. Slowly getting used to the sensation of dangling my face over the floor

Holocron: Warmed up and did 5 minutes of Jumping Jack intervals.

Superset 1

Goblet Squats - 10

Eccentric Chin-ups - 8

4 sets, 60 seconds rest

Superset 2

Ball Pushups - 8

Alternating Lunges - 10 per leg

4 sets, 60 seconds rest

Superset 3

Chin-up Flex Hold - Max (roughly 13 seconds each time)

Kettlebell Figure 8 - 20

4 sets, 60 seconds rest

Then another 5 minutes Jumping Jack intervals and stretching

• Like 3

Haven't seen much in the way of the parkour rolls from standing (shown in your 2016 Fitness Goal graph).  Is that something you are working on?

Current Challenge 

Rolling was a part of last months challenge but I realised I need to overcome my fear of being upside down to make more progress, I was constantly leaning off to the side and landing on my hip once I got anywhere near vertical. I did get one (sort of) good roll from standing, but it really was a fluke.

and here's Day 7

Hand Balancing: Did wall planks for a change today. I felt a lot more confident getting into position than the last time I did them, which is awesome. Spent about 5 minutes shuffling around and trying different heights to see where I'm comfortable.

Holocron: 40 minutes on stationary bike.

**End of week 1 adjustments**

Hand balancing will be required every day

There will be a mid-challenge chin-up flex hold test. Final goal figure may be increased (but not decreased) depending on results

• Like 3

Rolling was a part of last months challenge but I realised I need to overcome my fear of being upside down to make more progress, I was constantly leaning off to the side and landing on my hip once I got anywhere near vertical. I did get one (sort of) good roll from standing, but it really was a fluke.

Try white water kayaking.  You can get over your fear of being upside down by being upside down in water when you get flipped over.

Current Challenge 

Day 8

Hand Balancing: Managed my longest Crow Pose yet! Definitely think I'm doing something wrong with my legs though..

Holocron: Trail running. Was tougher than usual today, mainly due to a runny nose and not having very much energy after work. I was scheduled to do strength training but it was such a beautiful day I couldn't resist the urge to get out in nature  :) . Also found a nice spot to do hill sprints and agility stuff, the fact that the trees there make it look like the planet Tython from SWTOR have a little to do with my excitement at finding this place..

• Like 4