NikkiB Wakes Up

Mama mia, am I ever worn out this evening.  Left the house at 7a today and didn't get home from soccer game, referee training, and dance and and and until about 9p.  In the midst of that, I took various children to Sonic or Subway for post-game and mid-dance dinners because I hadn't planned super-well for family dinner and we were sufficiently out of the makings of bring-along foods.  (( sigh )) Will need to hit the grocery store tomorrow.  Fortunately, my work lunch is already in the fridge.

There was something of a potluck at work today for somebody departing, and I bargained with myself to have a tremendously rewarding piece of cake as dessert, after I made sure I had two servings of veggies with my own meal.  Didn't munch on the stuff that smelled good but wasn't going to be as meaningful an indulgence as the cake.  It was so good that I had no trouble not getting my own dinner from Sonic or Subway.  No, I thought, I need to finish getting my veggies and I've had plenty of carbs.  So I made myself a Glorious Eggy Mess (sauteed onions and mushrooms, wilted spinach, with two eggs cooked over medium in the middle, all of it piled onto a bit of smashed-up sweet potato and topped with shredded white sharp cheddar).  YUM.  So now I feel victorious and indulgent at the same time, which is awesome.

Utilized the 20-minute intervals here and there to walk around parking lots and soccer fields and got my 10k steps before dark.  Hard to say if I'll hit 70k steps for the week, but I will manage my 250 weekly minutes of activity with just 35 minutes in each of the next two days.  Manageable.  Praying for decent weather.  I don't mind being wet, and I don't mind being cold, but I am miserable if I'm wet AND cold.  Poor mastiff is getting better, but isn't quite up to longer walks just yet.  Hopefully by next week.  

I haven't weighed myself for these four weeks because I didn't have weight loss as a goal, but now I'm sort of wondering.  Looking forward to a good weekend!  

• Like 1
On 3/25/2016 at 10:21 PM, sarakingdom said:

Do you measure your activity minutes with your fitbit, as well?  I'm tempted to do a very simple gamified challenge like that, just to take a break from my multi-part ones.

Yes, I use the Fitbit because my Flex is already set up to do that and activity minutes are a specific thing my doctor wants me to aim for and I will be able to point to it as relatively objective record of my compliance and level of effort.  The sync of active minutes lags a bit behind the steps, which is sort of weird but not a huge deal.  It also won't "credit" any active minutes until you reach 10 minutes in the day, or some such bullshit that was really frustrating until I researched it.  (( shrug ))  I noticed that it tended not to register a TKD class -- one that would have me *dripping* with sweat -- as only maybe 7 minutes of activity.  So, you know, sometimes Fitbit won't know your life.  But not entirely useless as a data point. :) 

Had a pretty victorious week.  Though this challenge goes through today, the "week according to Fitbit" ended yesterday.  I'm happy to report that, despite not wearing it for an entire day, I was able to log ~72K steps and 343 minutes of activity for the week.  I guess I set up a challenge-within-a-challenge for myself.  

We enjoyed the fuck out of that roller derby event last night -- it was a double-header!  Really awesome atmosphere, splendid fun, delicious margaritas, and lots of "maximum effort" on display from the women on the track.  I might have a crush on Foxxi Brown, and definitely got Enigma to autograph my surgery scar.  I have ambitions to participate safely in Warrior Training 101 over the summer.  It's a 12-week session of "learn how to skate" and such, but no contact.  It's a 30-minute drive, but the weekly sessions should fit decently into the summer schedule, which tends to have fewer mom-bligations in it.  By fall, I am to be back in the TKD studio.  

Today, we woke up to snow on the ground.  Hardly anybody is home for most of the day, so I intend to putter around quite a bit -- little chores just for me (like blending up a batch of my homemade "body butter," prep cooking a bit for work lunches, and meal planning for the week).  I may approach it as a rest day, but I haven't decided yet.  Feeling a pull toward dusting off a yoga DVD or maybe even DDR.  We'll see.  Just aiming not to have a zero in any category, is all.

I feel like this was a successful challenge overall.  I've laid the groundwork with the doctor's instructions and a return to habits that help me feel good.  I think it's time to look at building in some Actual Workout activity, and do a bit of nutritional tracking to keep me moving in the right direction.  I don't have a specific weight loss intention (yet), but it's time to take measurements again.    In the *next* challenge, I'll start making weight loss more of a goal, because I've got some grief bacon to peel off for sure.  

• Like 1

I love how the Monastery has become a place of Combat Athletes (We have a rugby player in here and a hockey player accidentally said a thing that I chose to construe as interest, so there). I hope you end up having a lot of fun going out for that. :D

Anyway, rest or active, it looks like it was a good challenge to you and for you. Movement and nutritional work going forward are probably the better things to focus on for now; the rest can fall where it will.

Ended up satisfyingly active!  The weather cleared up just enough that I was able to stop at the middle school track on my way home from the grocery store.  Got in a walk/run session and have checked off nearly all the puttering tasks on my list.  The workout got me 30+ minutes of activity and it looks like I might hit 10k steps today despite myself.  AND...and, I cooked a delicious pretty effing primal late dinner for me and hubby.  Our anniversary is in a couple of days and we might not get to really celebrate, given what an ordinary weeknight is like.  The way this meal smells, I'd marry me.  

As for the roller derby...well, I've learned in the last year or so that PLAY is an important element in my life.  If that play happens to be tinged with a hint of violence and competition, then I just have to own it.  I do hope that I'll be ready to participate safely and relearn how to stay off the floor on quad skates, if nothing else. :)

• Like 1

So this a a gap week, right?  I kind of like the 4-week challenges...no fourth week slump was experienced.  In the crease before the next challenge starts, I have the opportunity to get some measurements done before 4/03. (Shark week is late, so there's bloating likewhoa.  Not gonna measure today, no way now how.)  I'm also going to force myself to use vanilla-sweetened almond milk in my coffee this week instead of half & half with honey.  I use a lot more almond milk to make it taste creamy, so I actually get close to a full cup of that if I have two cups of coffee, and it ends up cutting my caffeine consumption in half and provides a serving of calcium.  Not a bad thing.  Probably nets out better for nutritional density.  We'll see if I care to keep it up.

Through the NFA women's FB boards, I've joined a 30-week running group for "fats and olds."  Kind of funny, but it's all about a very gradual on-ramp so nobody gets injured.  Small improvements in my aerobic capacity are awesome and set me up well for returning to TKD or trying other adventures (like the roller derby stuff), so I'm going to follow it.  I also located through Breaking Muscle a 4-wk MovNat intro series that I think will do me a lot of good.  Each of those programs calls for four days per week, and I could double up if I want.  Still focusing on activity and quality of movement before adding specific strength work (soon!).  I'd also like to work again on bedtime/lights out time.  Plus tracking with MFP about 3-4 days per week.  That should be plenty.  

The tracking is already doing its job.  What I learned this morning is that a breakfast of steel cut oats, though delicious and long-lasting, just doesn't get me started on the right foot with protein or carbs (not enough of one and too much of another).  For just 14g of protein, I consumed 112g of carbs.  Now, that's not *bad* but it's definitely not the balance I'd aim for.  So I munched on a couple of pieces of bacon on the way to work for another 5g of protein.  And because bacon.  Today's plan very nearly gets me to 90g of protein -- something of a sweet spot -- but I'll be over 200g of carbs because of that baller start.  (( sigh ))  Though it isn't a firm goal for this upcoming challenge, I need to start nudging that number down toward 100g and make sure they're nutritionally dense carbs in order to support weight loss.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, NikkiB said:

The tracking is already doing its job.  What I learned this morning is that a breakfast of steel cut oats, though delicious and long-lasting, just doesn't get me started on the right foot with protein or carbs (not enough of one and too much of another).  For just 14g of protein, I consumed 112g of carbs.  Now, that's not *bad* but it's definitely not the balance I'd aim for.  So I munched on a couple of pieces of bacon on the way to work for another 5g of protein.  And because bacon.  Today's plan very nearly gets me to 90g of protein -- something of a sweet spot -- but I'll be over 200g of carbs because of that baller start.  (( sigh ))  Though it isn't a firm goal for this upcoming challenge, I need to start nudging that number down toward 100g and make sure they're nutritionally dense carbs in order to support weight loss.  

I always whisk eggs into my oatmeals.... it adds a little more protein. but I'm also going to start exploring tofu, too.

44 minutes ago, karinajean said:

I always whisk eggs into my oatmeals.... it adds a little more protein. but I'm also going to start exploring tofu, too.

Eggs in oatmeal?  Huh.  Interesting idea!

I've had good luck lately with "warm breakfast salads" -- just a randomized mixture of greens with some kind of meat, plus sweet potato hash, topped with scrambled eggs or eggs-over-medium.  Depending on the meat and balance of flavor, I'll top with a bit of cheese or sour cream, or drizzle with balsamic vinaigrette.  

This, from a person who feels very passionately about breakfast cereals.  I've simply moved that food to the end of the day...as a treat that's mildly less sabotage-y than cake or ice cream, if my macros are generally in line for the day.  

Warm breakfast salads? Intriguing!

And all the training looks really good too. I would probably change the name of the running group to "Running Group for Everyone" because gradual increases are good no matter what stage of age/body composition you're at.

Glad to see that tracking is making you more aware of things. Very good. You'll be in a good place to start with the next challenge.