Granny Nogg Lifts Dust Bunnies

Granny Nogg

dust-bunnies.png

No I don't mean cleaning my house. No actual dust bunnies will be harmed in the making of this film.  Er, Challenge.

Compared to the average Warrior, I'm starting small and lifting amounts that are very light, hence the dust bunnies!!

I will be continuing what I started at the end of my 8th challenge:

Fitness--

Doing a modified Weighted BBWW workout, Tue/Thu/Sat.  Tracking my workouts in a spreadsheet and posting workout logs here in my challenge. Progressions in reps to 10, then increase weight. 

• Goblet Squats: currently at 3 sets of 5, at 5 lbs. 
  • Incline Push Ups: currently at 3 sets of 10, at 60 degree angle.  
  • Goblet Lunges: currently at 3 sets of 16, at 5 lbs. 
  • Dumbbell rows: currently at 3 sets of 10, at 25 lbs. 
  • Planks: currently at 3 sets of 25 second elbow planks, with some side raise planks thrown in
  • Jumping Jacks: currently on hold, as plantar fasciitis flare up recedes  -- So Disc Golf Putts in it's place
  • Bicep Curls: currently at 3 sets of 8, at 30 lbs.  

Diet--

• Track food daily with My Fitness Pal.  1700 calorie goal.  Post food logs in challenge thread.
  • Weigh and measure on Mondays, post stats and compare to beginning stats.
    • Weight: 176.6
    • Height: 5'8"
    • Underbust: 32.5
    • Waist: 31.2
    • Hip: 37.2
    • Thigh: 24.5

Life--

• Keep up with customer orders so I don't get behind with work
  • Keep up with dishes and laundry
  • Prepare for disc golf tournament in April
  • Like 8

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

So why the dust bunnies?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Because compared to what kind of weight even the female warriors here are lifting, mine weigh as much as dust bunnies. 

(I edited the first post to clarify that)

Because compared to what kind of weight even the female warriors here are lifting, mine weigh as much as dust bunnies.

We all start small. The desire to be stronger pulls us together... That, and bacon.

My problem is more with actual dust bunnies. I'm doing an adulting challenge.

• Like 5

Following.

And considering joining Warriors.

pssst don't tell the warriors  I said so, but the Rangers are the best guild, and with the kettlebell love I think you are a perfect Ranger

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Can't wait to see all your awesome progress!

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Don't listen to Elastigirl! You're in the right place with the warriors. No weight is too small to start with.

• Like 3

Nate the Strong

Warforged Paladin

Level 8 | STR-33 | DEX-11 | STA-18 | CON-14 | WIS-17 | CHA-14

535/365/610:1510

243/243/166/277:685

'He who conquers himself is mightier than he who conquers a city.'
'Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle;'

Granny Nogg, before I picked up a barbell, I also did the NF BBWW. :-)

Welcome to the Warriors - from loading up 5 lbs to 400+ lbs, we are all working on getting stronger! Some of us lift bunnies, some of us lift elephants.

Thank you! !

sent from my tiny particle accelerator

I'm gonna post my pre-challenge food logs here, because I don't want to use my battle log for it.

So today was a big event. The 12 step recovery group I belong to hosted it's second coffee house (not exactly annual because we didn't do it last year as there was a scheduling conflict). Let's call it bi- annual.

Anyway, if you were following me last summer, you'll remember my 50th birthday luau challenge. In which we built a tiki bar and a surf board and all sorts of beach themed decor. You'd also remember that my art studio is decorated in Hawaiian kitsch. So, when the leaders were meeting to talk about what theme to have for our coffee house, someone (not me) suggested a winter beach party theme. The others liked the idea, in which case I was like. .."yeah, gotcha covered in the decorations department. ..". Lol!

So I was on my feet for about 6 hours today, setting up the room. We had a blast, there were 106 people who attended, we served free coffee, cocoa, Italian soda, snacks, and desserts. Four local bands performed, we had a Skit Guys skit, Beach Boys trivia contest with prizes, etc. We had a blast, I'm exhausted, and I'm surprised at how many calories I ate today because it didn't feel like I ate that much.

I did my workout (and had a PR today), so breakfast was big. 1.5 cups of prepared oats with a little almond coconut blend and Splenda. I also made a homemade eggnog, with Eggwhite Protein, a couple whole eggs, and nutmeg.

Lunch was a cup of popcorn chicken. I'd planned on eating something out, and Allen brought me the chicken while I was decorating.

Dinner was a rotisserie chicken sandwich, a nectarine, a handful of pistachios, and two servings of homemade mango salsa and tortilla chips.

I was really good and passed up the cupcakes, but I did have two chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

Calories were 1843 out of 1700, steps were probably 10k or so (my Fitbit battery was flashing so it needs replacing). Protein was 114, fat was 69, carbs were 186, fiber was 19, net carbs were 167, and water was 6 cups.

881f9479a20b0cb4a03078f3701531df.jpg

cf9689f15ad330e39e99955256cb0b3a.jpg

e4a6584e749a36b063da51c19edf424d.jpg

• Like 5

Lifting is lifting, and comparing your lifts to others gets dangerous. I lift with a bunch of very strong dudes and it is really motivating to see them lift cars, and chunks of iron and stuff, but it is important to step back every once in a while and remember that what you are doing is impressive for where you are at. So dust bunnies maybe, but fierce ones. 

Also, awesome party decor, and great job balancing social life with a healthy life. I am working on that.

• Like 2

Lifting is lifting, and comparing your lifts to others gets dangerous. I lift with a bunch of very strong dudes and it is really motivating to see them lift cars, and chunks of iron and stuff, but it is important to step back every once in a while and remember that what you are doing is impressive for where you are at. So dust bunnies maybe, but fierce ones.

Also, awesome party decor, and great job balancing social life with a healthy life. I am working on that.

Comparing your lifts to others is dangerous, how do you mean? Is it that it could push you to try something too heavy and hurt yourself? Or is it psychological, in the same way that envy or superiority is dangerous? Or do you mean both?

I know I'm lifting at my personal capacity and taking it very slow so that I don't get hurt. So! Let's call them. .. Fierce dust bunnies. Evil dust bunnies. BORG dust bunnies! Yeah, that's the ticket. :)

Balance - I used to think it was alternately overrated and unobtainable. But I've been working hard at pursuing it, and I do feel like I've made some progress. Today is my 4th anniversary in recovery. Not from drugs or alcohol, but things less easy to define sobriety in: codependency, food issues, and non-chemical addictive tendencies like shopping and crafting. I've seen damaged relationships repaired, good ones enhanced, and I'm tackling my social anxieties rather than running from them. Doesn't mean I don't make mistakes! Just there's fewer of them now.

Today we went to MC Sports to get a couple of 5 lb plates for my dumbbells. They're halfway in diameter between my micro plates and the standard plates that came with my weight bench. So I'll be able to shuffle plates around between my curl bar and dumbbell bar and not have to change plates between exercises.

While we were there, we took a look at their disc golf discs. They're carrying blizzard plastic, which means they're in a weight class that is lighter and easier to throw. The light ones weigh in the 130 - 150 gram range, which is what Allen and I like to throw. But usually we have to order them, because the standard 165 -180 gram weight class is usually all you find in stores. We didn't buy any today, but we made mental note that we could at least find a few Innova brand ones there.

Food log:

Breakfast was a miss today, I was running late for church and had run out of egg protein for my shakes.

Lunch we had at Costco, I had two beef brisket sandwiches minus the coleslaw and with just the bottom bun.

Afternoon snack was an ounce of beef jerky.

Dinner was cold antipasto style; baby carrots, sugar snap peas, a nectarine, gallo dry salami, ands jalapeño kettle chips.

Dessert was some chocolate.

Calories were 1640 out of 1700. Protein was only 59. Fat was 60. Carbs were 122 (ouch) and fiber was also low at 7. Net carbs were 115. Water was 5 cups, doing a little better in that department.

That looks like a kick ass party! I think you're now in charge of local NF meet-ups. :-p

Comparing your lifts to others is dangerous, how do you mean? Is it that it could push you to try something too heavy and hurt yourself? Or is it psychological, in the same way that envy or superiority is dangerous? Or do you mean both?

I know I'm lifting at my personal capacity and taking it very slow so that I don't get hurt. So! Let's call them. .. Fierce dust bunnies. Evil dust bunnies. BORG dust bunnies! Yeah, that's the ticket. :)

I tend to disagree with the "don't compare yourself with others" blanket rule that comes up every now and again. Comparisons can tell you how far it is possible to go, how much it is possible to achieve, what you need to do to be competitive within your age/weight/gender etc. etc. It's also a good way to stay humble, especially when you lift with people who are a lot stronger than you.

Putting yourself down because you feel that you can't compare to others is dangerous, when it isn't a joke, but I don't think that's really the case here. I don't feel an air of self-denigration in Granny Nogg's posts, just a sense that she is starting on a journey.

That said, the last time I defended comparisons I had a senior NFer have a pop at my most recent PB... so perhaps I should shut up.

• Like 2

subbed! looks like we have similar diet goals :D

also, i could stand to keep up with laundry and dishes as well...

• Like 2

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

That looks like a kick ass party! I think you're now in charge of local NF meet-ups. :-p

Comparisons can tell you how far it is possible to go, how much it is possible to achieve, what you need to do to be competitive within your age/weight/gender etc. etc.

I don't feel an air of self-denigration in Granny Nogg's posts, just a sense that she is starting on a journey.

Haha NF meetups. Closest ones are Chicago, 3.5 hours away. That being said, I do like entertaining soooooo - if the opportunity presents itself, I'm likely to go for it.

Journey, it is. I'm more likely to agree with you on comparisons, though that doesn't mean I'm not hella intimidated sometimes. But I don't usually let that stop me, in the end. I freak out a little, get over it, and move on. Self denigrating isn't my thing, I'm more likely to struggle with my pride, so a little humble pie is healthy.

Great photos. You throw a great party. It looks like a lot of work and even more fun.

Thank you, J. We had a blast and it was allot of fun using the portable tiki bar again. Btw, if anyone wants to build one for themselves, we blogged it and I can give you the link.

subbed! looks like we have similar diet goals :D

also, i could stand to keep up with laundry and dishes as well...

Similar diet goals are a good thing! I know I sure need the accountability here. Keeps me honest.

d6955fc41c9df30acacb1dc18efd03de.jpg

^^ My kitchen this morning. I usually take Mondays off because it's Craft Night (weekly ritual in which my daughter, daughters in law, grandchildren and assorted friends gather to eat/sew/color/craft). So today I'll get the kitchen cleaned, decide what to feed my guests, and make sure I take time to work on my craft project.

Monday weigh and measure stats-

Weight: 173.2

Underbust: 32

Waist: 31.2

Hip: 37

Thigh: 24.5

Not much change. Weight down 3 lbs, underbust is down 1/2, waist same, hip down .2, thigh same.

• Like 3