Maigahane Starts Over

Maigs

In 2012-2013 I lost 40lbs going from 222.4lbs to 181.2lbs in about nine months. Unfortunately since then I've been slacking and need to get back on track. In six weeks I'm leaving for a trip to Italy and would love to be in shape to handle all the walking and stair climbing I'm bound to encounter there, and of course be skinnier for the pictures :)

Stats:
Female

5'9"

192lbs

Desk jockey

Weak as hell

Possible exercise induced asthma (will talk to the doc next time I go)

Newly vegetarian, leaning towards vegan

Recently joined a gym about a mile away and signed up for 6 sessions with a personal trainer

Fitness Goals:

Be able to do a chin-up/pull-up

Run in any obstacle course/mudrun race that comes though my area

Consistently ride my bike to work

Strategy:
Go to the gym before work every day alternating strength training and Couch-to-5k

Track food through MyFitnessPal

Have husband keep me keep me on track and remind me that it I did in fact want to wake up early despite how I feel at 5:30am

• Like 3

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

It looks like my sessions with the trainer will be Thursdays for about 30 minutes. We met yesterday and he kicked my butt. I'm feeling okay today but thanks to DOMS I'm guessing I'll have problems walking tomorrow. This morning I got up early and made it to the gym at 6 but since I had no real plan I just ended up walking on the treadmill for 30 minutes. It's certainly better than nothing but I need to make a plan for the gym.

Since Thursdays are with the trainer where he works everything (yesterday I did wall squats, pushups, TRX rows, planks, lat pulldowns, and full body rope slams) I figure that will set my alternating schedule

Monday - C25k

Tuesdays - Legs

Wednesdays - C25k

Thursdays - Trainer (and Core if I feel up to it)

Fridays - C25k

Saturday or Sunday - Arms

I prefer full body workouts when doing strength training so this will probably change but for now I just need an easy, basic plan

• Like 1

Welcome to the Ranger Corps. I'll be following along. Looks like you have some good goals.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Great goals.

I've done C25K. Follow the plan and you'll do great. I'm actually taking my 5-year-old through it.

Me, my wife, and sister-in-law all did it before starting a half marathon training program. And we all finished the 1/2 successfully. So no telling how far you'll go with this if you keep at it

Thanks! I've actually done the C25K before when I lost weight a few years ago. Since I have no desire to run for the sake of running I didn't keep going once I finished. But now that I've decided I want to do obstacle course races I'm giving it another try.

I'm struggling this time though because I have plantar faciitis and can't find a good pair of running shoes. Last time I did it barefoot at home but now I don't have a treadmill and the gym has a shoes policy. My heels are constantly aggravated now even though I run on the balls of my feet. The insides of my calves are also starting to really hurt, I think it's the muscle but kind of feels like shin splints but in the wrong place.

I always hear that you should get professionally fitted for shoes but I've had no luck. Out of the four times I've done it two pairs were returned almost immediately, one pair was okay at first but after a few months got really uncomfortable, I was only told to get on the treadmill once and he didn't even watch me, and the last time I got my current pair of shoes that are great for everyday wear but not for running

This is the right guild for OCR fever! Have you looked into minimalist shoes? Vibram five finger shoes are designed for running like barefoot but are technically shoes so the gym shouldn't give you any grief.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

This is a great set of goals! And wanting to to OCR is something a lot of us in the Rangers can relate to.

Do you have a c25k programme in mind? I really recommend Zombies, Run! c25k of course most of these are the same but this has zombies which really does help.

Current Challenge

Previous challenges:7, 6 5, 4,  3. 2, 1

I am the one thing in life I can control

The one I'm using is just called C25K - 5K Running Trainer by Zen Labs Fitness. I like it because I can put on music or video over it.

I had an insanely busy weekend that included a board gaming convention and a Pathfinder session as well as about 5 tax returns (I do them on the side). This week at work should be crazy busy too but after that I think things will slow down.

One thing I'm hoping to fix this week that's been holding me back lately: Get my kitchen put back together so I can use it again. We're remodeling and right now I have an island in my galley kitchen where we pulled out a cabinet so we can paint behind it and replace it but didn't take it out to the garage. It's blocking my sink, dishwasher, and other cabinets. So I haven't cooked all week, which really sucks. I don't even like eating out that much. So I bought tons of veggies to cook with and I'm cooking whether or not the cabinet has been moved!

• Like 1

My wife has plantar fasciitis as well. Stretching and starting slow worked for her. She's dealt with it for years, and just finished a half marathon. I was actually reading this morning that compression socks sometimes help, too.

I had issues with my feet several years ago. I switched to zero-drop shoes and love them. But results vary from person to person. If you're having trouble with 5-finger-type shoes, try zero drop. If that doesn't work, try another. I would suggest finding a reputable running store and asking there.

Hmm, did someone say OCR? 

What area are you in? :D 

I also have plantar faciitis flare ups (as well as patellofemoral syndrome) after I hit miles 8-10, however I found that the right shoe helps a TON. Have you gone to a specialty running store like Road Runner or Fleet Feet? Those two in particular give free analysis and suggest 2-3 pair of shoes that are best for your build, stride, arch and prorated step. No pressure to buy since they're not on commission. I got a pair of adidas boosts 2.0 energies that I love and have used for road running ever since. I did a 10 miler without any real training behind it and felt fine this year vs. the year before where I wrecked my feet. 

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Slates: I'm in the midwest. We have three OCR's that I know of that have come through here; a local one, Warrior Dash, and Spartan Race. Unfortunately neither WD or SR are coming this year, though they are coming close enough I might be able to do a weekend trip for them if I'm feeling ready.

I'll have to see if there are any specialty running stores near me, neither of the ones you mentioned are :(

I did manage to get my ass outta bed at 5:30 this morning and spent 45 minutes at the gym. 30 minutes redoing week 1 of C25k (no leg/foot issues!) and 15 minutes of strength training. Then I went home and spent about 15 minutes stretching. I'm getting more flexible with "bent" stretches (butterfly, one leg straight out, etc) but have almost no flexibility with "straight" stretches (both legs out, touching toes, etc). I really need to work on that since I can't even touch my toes for more than a second

• Like 3

After managing to make it to the gym Tuesday I started feeling like shit and barely managed to just function in the afternoon/evening. Don't know if it was a cold or allergies but my throat hurt and my head felt....off center. Kind of like a ball that's weighted weird trying to roll around. Still felt like shit yesterday so I didn't make it to the gym then but today I'm feeling better and went to the gym to pay my trainer to kick my ass. He put together an plan for me to do once a week by myself so I'm not just fumbling like the other day.

No progress has been made in the kitchen but I've cooked everyday this week, making leftovers to take to work. Somehow after eating out for a week straight I didn't gain any weight and after cooking at home a couple of times I'm down a bit over a pound! Put's me down 10lbs for the year and 1/4 of the way to my tentative goal.

And I found two specialty running stores near me that I'm going to check out to see if they have suggestions for my foot issues. Not sure when I'll make it out to one since life is crazy right now but hopefully soon. I'd like to have a pair broken in before going to Italy since I'll be walking non-stop while there

And I just looked and the next local OCR is late June. It's the same one I did before and I enjoyed it even though I was NOT adequately prepared. I might sign up for it once I feel less poor from the kitchen remodel and travel

ETA: Apparently I need to google more often. I found three more local OCR's, one in May, one in August, and one that ran last September and hasn't announced dates for 2016. The one is May is probably too soon, especially since it's a 7k, but I'll push for the June and August ones

ETA2: I just found this! Insane Inflatable 5k It's coming local too! I'm going to spend a small fortune in OCR's.....

• Like 2

Steve said something in a post once about how he realized spending money on experiences rather than things was a priority for him. Sounds like you're in a similar place. Have fun going through, over, under and around all the O's in the CR's.

• Like 1

Tank - I've always agreed with Steve's comment, but until recently I haven't felt I could really spend on experiences. But then last year we sold our reasonably priced, but too big, and 30+ miles from work house and bought an even cheaper, smaller, MUCH closer to work townhome. Between the smaller mortgage, utilities, gas for cars, and paying off some debts with proceeds from selling we're in a much better place now. Not only do I have more money but I have way more time and things are more convenient. I can actually reasonably go to the gym after work (instead of driving all the way home to eat then all the way back or eating something convenient/bad). I'm close enough to work I can ride my bike and once it warms up a tad more I'm going to work to make this a daily habit.

I'm also travel hacking for my trip to Italy, which I learned about from Steve's worldwide adventure. The flights costs a whopping $150 for both of us! (plus 80k AA miles). I have enough Marriott points for a free hotel but it's outside of the city so we're staying at an AirBnB for $350 for the week that is a 5 minute walk to the Colloseum and we're going to be able to walk almost anywhere we want to go...besides Pompeii which is a 3 hour bus ride :)

OCR's are going to be interesting though. I'm very out of shape and weak. I'm trying to work on the C25k but my shins/calves are acting up so I have to slow it down. And my arms are so weak I can't even do knee pushups right now, which is down right ridiculous. But I'm working with a trainer on the strength part and I just have to be patient with the running and keep trying. I did strength training last night and made it to the gym this morning for cardio but since my legs were acting up I only walked for the 30 minutes.

• Like 3

You're making progress, and that's what matters. It's working on the days you don't feel up to it that make the difference.

When training for my first 1/2 marathon I realized quickly that I would successfully complete it in the kitchen. Diet was key for me, and man could I feel it on runs when I hadn't been eating well.

I also will be getting my compression socks tomorrow for my shin splints. I'll let you know how it goes.

Definitely let us know how your trip goes! When are you planning to go?

Try Warrior Dash for your first OCR. From what I understand they are the Gateway drug of the OCR world and a good one to start out on. There are no penalties for not completing an obstacle, so if you try and can't do it no one will judge you.

We're leaving on our trip in 5 weeks

Warrior Dash isn't coming to my state this year :( I know they have come here in the past so I'm hoping they'll do it again. I have a friend who's worse in shape than I am and she did the WD and was able to finish. I did a local one 3 years ago (where my picture is from) and was able to complete all the obstacles though I needed a hand getting out of a few ravines because the banks were so slick. I actually came right in the middle of times for women which was surprising since I did very little actual running.

It's amazing how sedentary my typical day is. I have a Fitbit and in a normal day I get 5-6k steps. Today I did a 30 minute fairly slow walk at the gym this morning, then a 25 minute slightly faster walk over lunch. I'm already over 10k steps and it's not even 1pm. I need to get my ass out of the chair more often

Managed to kick my own ass today. I followed the plan my trainer gave me and pushed myself pretty hard. Each exercise has three sets, most had 12/10/8 reps

Lat Pulldowns: 65/65/70lbs

Seated Rows: 70/75/80lbs

Bench (machine): 55/60/tried 60 had to go back to 55lbs halfway

Planks: 3x30seconds

Kettlebell lunges: 30lbs x 10 each leg x 3 sets

Wall Squats: 3x30 seconds

I made the mistake of doing them in that order and barely made the squats after the lunges. For the future I'll have them mixed differently. I then walked for 30 minutes. Definitely going to need to focus on stretching tomorrow

We finally started prepping and priming half the kitchen today. Tomorrow we'll paint that half and maybe start thinking about pulling the cabinets out of the other half. Since we were painting I put on my old shoes and holy crap the pain in my heel lessened immediately. So as much as I hate to admit it I think my new shoes that I love are bad for my heel. I wore my old shoes to the gym and had only a little pain after an hour there

And since I love overdoing things I downloaded the Duolingo app on my phone and have started trying to learn some Italian for our trip. I took 4 years of Spanish in high school and even though it was 12 years ago with a not great teacher I have a decent baseline of how latin based languages work. I've already made it up to 8% fluent (tested into 19% fluent in Spanish)

• Like 3

You got this! Just be sure to do some kind of workout tomorrow, that also helps banish DOMS.

Will do Tank! Today was a rest day (if you don't include repeatedly climbing a ladder to paint where the wall meets the ceiling) but tomorrow will be an attempt at C25k. We'll see how my feet hold up but at the very least I'll spend 30 minutes on some sort of cardio machine.

I'm struggling with goals. Destination goals are easy. I want to lose 30ish pounds, I want to have visible arm muscles, I want to do a pull up. Destination goals are harder. When I get excited I want to jump all in and do everything. I know that's not smart and I should pick one thing but I really struggle with that because I feel limited by it. Saying "I'm going to do strength training three times a week" translate to my brain that that's all I can do. I also struggle with knowing my limits. I'm trying strength training three times a week and C25k three times a week with a rest day on the weekend. My gym also has group classes I want to join like Zumba, but when does it become too much for someone who is used to sitting at a desk all day?

• Like 1

You are for sure a Ranger with your desire to do ALL THE THINGS! I also shoot for three strength days and three run days a week, with a rest day on Sunday. What I would do if I were you would be to substitute Zumba for a run day so you're not overdoing it. Eventually you could get to the point where you could add a zumba class on top of your other six workouts, but you would need to start Zumba really small and eat a ton to make up for burning all those calories.