Maigahane Starts Over

Maigs

Welcome to foam rolling  :devilish:

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm going to try and convince my benefits office to let me use my Flex dollars on one of these:

DeskCycle440.jpg

We shall see. I'm technically just over the edge of overweight into obese right now, so I asked my doctor to write a letter for me saying they want me to get one, I'll see if it works, heh.

Maeghaan | Assassin

EQ Level 2 | NF Level 4

I started a blog: The Cognitive Itch
"Even in these chains, you can't stop me"

Weight loss goal: Drop from 247 to 160

36%
36%

giphy.gif

Welcome to wonderful, wonderfully painful world of foam rolling!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Maeghaan - I've seen those and talked about them with my mom, but I'm not sure how well they work. Luckily for me my job is very laid back so I take my lunch a few minutes early and then walk during my normal lunch time. If I make it to the gym in the morning I to 10k steps during the lunch walk.

I'm definitely more mobile today than I expected, probably thanks to the damn foam roller :mad-new:

However I did not manage to get up and go to the gym before work....because I suck. Monday mornings are hard :'( So I need to go after work today and they don't have Zumba on Mondays so I guess I'm trying to run. Going to wear my old shoes to see if that helps though I think they used to kill the outside bottoms of my feet...you know, that part that runs along the arch. We'll see I guess

• Like 1

Current Challenge:  Maigs Does a Montage

On another note: Spring has sprung! Highs in the 60's-70's for the next 10 days which is perfect for bike riding. So I need to get mine off the indoor trainer and ready to ride to work again. I don't remember if I've said but work is less than 3 miles away so a great distance for a beginning biker.

Also need to figure out where I'm going to store it since it's normal spot in the garage is taken up by new flooring....

• Like 1

My Force powers must be really dull right now, it took me a week to feel the OCR presence...

Slates: I'm in the midwest. We have three OCR's that I know of that have come through here; a local one, Warrior Dash, and Spartan Race. Unfortunately neither WD or SR are coming this year, though they are coming close enough I might be able to do a weekend trip for them if I'm feeling ready.

I'll have to see if there are any specialty running stores near me, neither of the ones you mentioned are :(

I did manage to get my ass outta bed at 5:30 this morning and spent 45 minutes at the gym. 30 minutes redoing week 1 of C25k (no leg/foot issues!) and 15 minutes of strength training. Then I went home and spent about 15 minutes stretching. I'm getting more flexible with "bent" stretches (butterfly, one leg straight out, etc) but have almost no flexibility with "straight" stretches (both legs out, touching toes, etc). I really need to work on that since I can't even touch my toes for more than a second

Midwest OCR people, unite!

I will reiterate what I tell everyone, all the time: if it sounds fun, you can do an OCR, right now, in the shape that you're in. Unless you're an elite-level athlete who expects to podium every time you toe the line, you're not competing against anyone but yourself. Do it if it sounds fun!

And I just looked and the next local OCR is late June. It's the same one I did before and I enjoyed it even though I was NOT adequately prepared. I might sign up for it once I feel less poor from the kitchen remodel and travel

ETA: Apparently I need to google more often. I found three more local OCR's, one in May, one in August, and one that ran last September and hasn't announced dates for 2016. The one is May is probably too soon, especially since it's a 7k, but I'll push for the June and August ones

ETA2: I just found this! Insane Inflatable 5k It's coming local too! I'm going to spend a small fortune in OCR's.....

Insane Inflatables was my first, and it was a blast. 

• Like 2

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

My Force powers must be really dull right now, it took me a week to feel the OCR presence...

Midwest OCR people, unite!

I will reiterate what I tell everyone, all the time: if it sounds fun, you can do an OCR, right now, in the shape that you're in. Unless you're an elite-level athlete who expects to podium every time you toe the line, you're not competing against anyone but yourself. Do it if it sounds fun!

Insane Inflatables was my first, and it was a blast. 

I was actually contemplating this yesterday. I found a 7k OCR nearby on 5/21. I'm definitely not in shape to just run a 7k, but a laid back mud run....maybe. If I sign up in March it's $45, April is $48, and May is $55. I might just go ahead and sign up this month and do it. They say right on the website that walkers are welcome :) Some of it will depend on me finding good running shoes though. On that note, I need to figure out when I'm getting to a running store

• Like 3

I was actually contemplating this yesterday. I found a 7k OCR nearby on 5/21. I'm definitely not in shape to just run a 7k, but a laid back mud run....maybe. If I sign up in March it's $45, April is $48, and May is $55. I might just go ahead and sign up this month and do it. They say right on the website that walkers are welcome :) Some of it will depend on me finding good running shoes though. On that note, I need to figure out when I'm getting to a running store

YES OCR!!!! 

Also, I'm not sure if the thought of doing the mud run in new running shoes was applicable or just that you needed to buy new shoes to train. Either way, I'm going to put this here for anyone reading who is considering training for an OCR. DO NOT wear nice running shoes to any mud run, pretty please! You will wreck your 100+ dollar purchase and might as well be wearing bowling shoes during the run to boot. If OCRs/trail running is something you're interested in, consider buying shoes specific to them. The best ones from what I've heard in my OCR network are Speedcross 3's, Innov8s and the ones I use myself are Reebok Supers. The treads help a TON with traction in the mud and in dirt and the drainage helps keep them functioning as shoes vs. soggy weights strapped to your feet. 

If it's just a one and done thing wear old shoes that you can donate after the race is done. 

I say sign up, you'll have a blast. The community is unlike any other type of race community I've experienced. 

• Like 1

Spaz Ranger

BATTLE LOG

You can have results or excuses. Not both

Slates - New shoes would definitely just be for training! My old shoes are actually the ones I wore to my first OCR. They're also my painting shoes. They somehow survived the mudrun better than the painting :playful:. Until they fail me or I get really into OCR's I'll probably wear then for the races. I didn't think about specific shoes for OCR's but traction would have been helpful on my last one, climbing up ravines out of creeks after 5 waves of runners doing it made for some very slippery slopes. I wouldn't have made it without the helpers at the top. I'll keep this in mind if I become an OCR fanatic

• Like 2

Strategy:

Go to the gym before work every day alternating strength training and Couch-to-5k

Track food through MyFitnessPal

Have husband keep me keep me on track and remind me that it I did in fact want to wake up early despite how I feel at 5:30am

Guess it's time for the weekly reckoning:

Gym: 4/6 Not shabby considering where I'm starting from and that I was sick Wednesday. STR 3x and CON (endurance) 3x. Had a lot of overlap since my cardio wasn't strenous

Food Tracking: 7/7 Probably don't need to update this. I'm on a 64 day streak in MFP so I think I have this one down. I am trying new vegetarian/vegan recipes though so I will have to work harder to add those meals. Most of my tried and true ones are saved

Stretching: 3x I didn't put this on my first post but I'm working on this. I think some of my past injuries have been in part due to a lack thereof. I'm also incredibly inflexible, I can barely touch my toes for a second. So I'm doing a 30 minute stretching video on Youtube I've found and mostly like (and I modify the two parts I don't) and try to do that at least three times a week

Next challenge I will try to have a more fun theme/layout for my tracking :redface-new:

• Like 4

I wouldn't be too jealous :) We have to at least have the new lower cabinets in by Thursday morning (when our new counters are getting installed) and we have no idea what we're doing. Plus this is a <1000sqft 2 bedroom house so all the stuff that was in my kitchen (including old cabinets) are sitting in my living room making my couch completely inaccessible. It will be worth it when it's done but it's such a pain in process. I hate clutter so having my house ripped apart like this makes me very itchy.

• Like 1

Good luck with that! I always like remodeling projects in theory, and I like the end result, but the process usually involves the BF and myself arguing and sniping at each other about how things should be done, heh. I do think I'm going to later this year slowly redecorate/surface remodel my bathroom, though. The peely wallpaper is getting on my nerves and it's boring.

Maeghaan | Assassin

EQ Level 2 | NF Level 4

I started a blog: The Cognitive Itch
"Even in these chains, you can't stop me"

Weight loss goal: Drop from 247 to 160

36%
36%

I actually don't mind the remodeling process except that I have no idea what I'm doing. Hubs on the other hand hates it and seems to think it has to involve lots of cursing. We managed to get the lower cabinets in last night, we just have to put in two spacers tonight. It went much easier than I expected, partially because our slab is so level we didn't have to shim at all! We had to cut two of the cabinets for the water lines, but that was even easier than I was afraid (and our cuts looks sooooooooo much better than the ones in the old cabinets).

You have my sympathy on the peely wallpaper Maeghaan. I'm glad we don't have any of that. Just 7 different paint colors in a two bedroom house. And not neutral colors either. Red kitchen, magenta bathroom, bright freaking blue in the main bedroom. It's all going to be grey in a few more weeks.

So working out has not happened yet this week. Sunday was my rest day, Monday was pulling out the old kitchen, Tuesday was installing the new one, tonight is Pathfinder night. But tomorrow I work with my trainer so I'll at least get some work done then. And hopefully we're done with the frantic part of the home remodel for a while so I can still work gym time in around painting and whatnot. The bathroom might be a tad frantic since it's our only one but we're doing that last so I have a while before I have to deal with that

• Like 2

Note to self: If you cross railroad tracks while taking your lunch walk don't assume you can cross back on the next street over....or the next.....or the next. You might be late getting back to work because you had to backtrack three blocks.

Also, try not to think about Fried Green Tomatoes when walking across railroad tracks

• Like 2

So much more patient than I am... which is a virtue, I'm told, but not one I'm capable of.  :P

Glad to hear the remodeling is going well.  As an amateur DIY'er, I'm looking forward to completed shots!

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

Nice progress on the kitchen. We re-modeled our kitchen 18 months ago and it was a nightmare. I think putting in new kitchen cabinets counts as a workout. That's stuff's exhausting!

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Worked with the trainer today. Unfortunately he didn't kick my ass like normal. I'd like to say it's because I'm getting stronger but I think it was just a light session. I did some heavy lifting on my own earlier today and loaded all the old cabinets except one into my car to donate to an eco store.

Food is still not great since I don't have things like a sink or stove. But I do have counters now!

ddd0b14ead2bab161f62e6426c3f99e8.jpg

• Like 3

Things I'm learning in my first challenge that I need to keep in mind for future ones:

• I am not a morning person and will likely not get my ass out of bed an hour or more earlier than I have to just to go to the gym
  • I need more concrete goals. SMART goals
  • I cannot do all the things
  • Making my goal "Be able to do normal pushups" does not mean I can only do pushups for the month. I can still do other things....like squats!
  • Since I'm a D&D/Pathfinder nerd I should create a leveling system based on them
  • Since I'm a Type A person I should have a detailed schedule of what I'm going to do and when instead of trying to wing things. Maybe make a general schedule at the beginning of the month and a detailed schedule before each week

So on that note, this weekend I'm going to work on general schedule for the rest of the month and a detailed schedule for next week. And I'm hopefully going to start working on my leveling system but I need to make a character for a Pathfinder game Saturday that I've neglected given how crazy this last month has been. But work should be fairly quiet until the fall and home improvement stuff shouldn't be urgent anymore like it was this week

• Like 2

Good assessment, how do you think your goals will look next challenge? Do you think you will tweak this challenge's goals?

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Well for one, in the next challenge I'll actually have goals. I looked back at my first post and I didn't have any short term goals. I don't think I'm going to add goals for this one but will continue to pay attention to what's working and what's not. My goals next time will depend on how my leveling system turns out. I might do one for each ability (Str - Do a standard pushup, Dex - Be able to touch my toes for 1 minute, Con - Be able to run for 5 minutes straight, Int - something related to learning a language, Wis - ?, Cha - ?).

I also need to figure out which works better for me, Destination Goals (do a standard pushup) or Journey Goals (Strength train x times/week). Obviously if I go with Destination goals I need to set ones that are achievable in a month which might be difficult to determine. But I think those are more motivating for me since there's an end in sight. Some of my favorite Destination Goals will either take me many months to get to (pullup) or they won't have a clear "I've done it" moment (visible arm muscles) so that makes them hard to incorporate into 4 week challenges

• Like 1