Maigahane Starts Over

Maigs

Things I'm learning in my first challenge that I need to keep in mind for future ones:

• I am not a morning person and will likely not get my ass out of bed an hour or more earlier than I have to just to go to the gym
  • I need more concrete goals. SMART goals
  • I cannot do all the things
  • Making my goal "Be able to do normal pushups" does not mean I can only do pushups for the month. I can still do other things....like squats!
  • Since I'm a D&D/Pathfinder nerd I should create a leveling system based on them
  • Since I'm a Type A person I should have a detailed schedule of what I'm going to do and when instead of trying to wing things. Maybe make a general schedule at the beginning of the month and a detailed schedule before each week

So on that note, this weekend I'm going to work on general schedule for the rest of the month and a detailed schedule for next week. And I'm hopefully going to start working on my leveling system but I need to make a character for a Pathfinder game Saturday that I've neglected given how crazy this last month has been. But work should be fairly quiet until the fall and home improvement stuff shouldn't be urgent anymore like it was this week

Lots of good observations here. Sounds like a solid learning experience. Those are never wasted.

The countertops look great. I love doing kitchens. Bathrooms are less fun.

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

Lots of good observations here. Sounds like a solid learning experience. Those are never wasted.

The countertops look great. I love doing kitchens. Bathrooms are less fun.

Thanks! Twice :) I really want to succeed at this whole fitness thing so I need to pay a lot more attention to what works for me and what doesn't than I have in the past. So my postings are probably going to be a lot of failures, observations on why I failed, and (hopefully) execution of doing better than before.

I'm so freaking excited about how the kitchen is looking and can't wait to have it done. The bathroom might not be too bad since we're probably not doing major work on the tub/shower. I think we'll probably replace the vanity and medicine cabinet and definitely the toilet but other than that we'll probably just be doing the paint and flooring like the rest of the house. I might try refinishing the tub and tile in the shower but that's still a big maybe. Need to do research first. The worst part will be having to go without the only toilet in the house for a couple of days while we paint and put down the floor (since we do things right and won't just paint around it)

• Like 1

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

Plan of attack for the week:

Sunday - Alternate workout trainer gave me (bench press, weighted lunges, rows, planks, lat pulldowns, wall squats)

Monday - 30 minutes on the elliptical

Tuesday - Bodyweight work (Pushups, squats, dips, reverse crunches)

Wednesday - 30 minutes on a bike

Thursday - work with trainer

Friday - attempt 30 minutes on the stair master

Saturday - Rest day

I'm trying out different cardio machines because I'm mainly stuck to the treadmill and need to broaden my horizons.

Done for today. I'm seeing progression on the "pulls" (rows and lat pulldowns) but I'm struggling with the "pushes" (bench press) and "holds" (wall squats and planks). I did really well with planks Thursday with the trainer so either I was worn out from the first half of the exercises or I need someone there to push me. I also did 30 minutes on the treadmill at 10% incline. I was only doing 2.5-2.8mph but I was huffing the entire time. Definitely something I need to work on more.

Wednesday I'm going to the specialty running store to get fitted for shoes so hopefully I can restart C25k next week

• Like 1

Oh, and another thing I need to remember for the next challenge; Measurements! I've never really cared what I weighed as a hard number but If I get to my "ideal" look I will weigh less than I do now, even with additional muscle. So I track my weighted as my progress even though I know it's flawed because it's easier. I tried taking measurements before but didn't stick with it but I need to do that with the next challenge. And some before pictures! I lost 40lbs before and didn't feel like I was any skinnier for it. Even though I went from barely fitting into size 15 jeans to almost being able to squeeze into size 9's my mental image of myself didn't change. So I need a concrete before image to compare to. I actually think I have one hiding somewhere...literally I hid a file on an old laptop. Not sure if it's one we still have or not but I'll try and look

• Like 2

And the weekly reckoning:

Gym: 2/6 Str 2x last week. Cardio 1x but I took a 30 minute walk at lunch every work day last week so while it wasn't strenuous at all I did at least move. We did install 3 upper cabinets yesterday, does that count as an extra workout? Unfortunately it was the same day as one of my strength training sessions so it doesn't feel like a separate workout

Food Tracking: 7/7. Up to 70 days in a row

Stretching: 0x besides the short after workout stretch with the trainer Thursday. Should have done a thorough stretch last night since I'm a bit sore today

I did manage to drastically increase my daily average steps lately. I went 8 days in a row over 10k steps when I used to hang around 6k most days.

• Like 1

Good job upping those steps. DIY home remodeling should totally count as a workout.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I've been thinking since I hit reset at the beginning of the year that I need an alternate ego. Something where I can say "What would _____ do?", "_____ wouldn't eat that", etc. I haven't thought of a good alternate though, either as an actual character/person or even just a name that sounds like it belongs to someone kick ass (at least in the way I'm wanting, Lana Kane is pretty kick ass but not a ranger).

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Didn't make it to the gym today. I tried again to get up in the morning and that failed miserably. I'm spent most of the evening catching up on tax returns (I prepare them on the side). I keep thinking that one of these days I'll get basically caught up on everything but it just never seems to happen. I still haven't planned any details for our trip to Rome and that's in less than 4 weeks! I did do another 30 minute walk at lunch so I was more active today than I would have been before

Now that the kitchen is functional I'm going to try to concentrate on all the non-normal things I need to catch up on. I have my list and I'm hoping to get it all done by the end of this weekend.

The first OCR near me has a $10 off special for St Patty's day, not sure when it ends but I'm assuming the 17th. I'm thinking about signing up but I don't have anyone to run with. Last time I did this one (the only OCR I've done) I had hubs and another couple to run with but they either won't or can't run with me this time :(

So I think I've decided that my alter ego will be Viking, though I haven't settled on a name yet. I kind of like Gyda (Geeda with a hard G) as a name but I love Lagertha from the show Vikings. Will want to think of a good Viking name for Hubs so I don't have to refer to him as Hubs. I suppose if I go with Lagertha I can call him Ragnar :)

I did body weight work yesterday. My arm strength is so pathetic, I can't even do knee pushups :( My trainer has had me do them on my knees but only go down about halfway so I can keep good form. I did that yesterday and did 3x10. Also did 3x15 full squats (almost ATG), 3x15 reverse crunches, and 3x10 dips (with my knees bent so my legs took some of the weight).

Cardio won't happen today, it's board game night and I'm getting fitted for running shoes before that. Hopefully I find ones that work with my wonky feet and I can start trying to run again.

I had another observation to keep in mind for the next challenge....but now I can't remember what it was

• Like 1

So I am *this close* (hold finger and thumb about a millimeter apart) to signing up for the Insane Inflatable 5k in June. I put out a plea on Facebook for anyone to join me but I keep my friends list small on purpose, and due to moving away from where I grew up many of them live about 10 hours away from me so I won't hold my breath

• Like 1

I tagged the five friends who might be interested, and one already said she would run it with me and another sounded interested (and his wife was another one tagged). So I went ahead and signed up for the 8:30am wave. I'm now committed! And the friend who said he was interested said he was working on getting back in shape for the other one I wanted to run a week later so it sounds like I have a running buddy for that one too!

• Like 1

So. Many. OCRs! Got fitted for shoes tonight and was told about another one. It's the same day as the 7k one I said I'd probably skip. Might sign up for that if I can successfully restart C25k with new shoes

I ordered a pair of Sauconys. They didn't have my size in stock but the half size up felt good for being a tad big. Got complimented for my running form since I run on the balls of my toes instead of my heels thanks to Steve's article on correct running form :)

• Like 1

Blerg. My 20 seconds of courage failed me. I made it to the gym early to do some work before the barre class and ended up ducking out before the class actually started. Partly from nerves (I have absolutely no idea what Barre is and what to expect) and partly because it would have gone until 8 and I hadn't seen hubs yet and I don't like not seeing him all day. Of course as soon as I leave I get a text from him that he's working late and won't be home until almost nine. But I did get 20 minutes on the treadmill at 10% incline and another 10 minutes at no incline so not a complete bust of a day

Reason #847 why scales are a bad measure: Since tearing out the kitchen last week I had gained a couple of pounds. I wasn't worried about it all. We went out to eat a lot at first but I made decent choices. I figured it was mostly water weight from salt, maybe some extra muscle and if it was some extra fat, oh well it wasn't much. Yesterday I was still up a bit over a pound from my low at the beginning of the month. This morning I was down almost 4 pounds from yesterday. I weighed myself three times and got the same each time. I had 1900 calories yesterday so I didn't starve myself. I know from past experience that I'll stay the same weight for a while and all of a sudden drop a few pounds but this is more than normal. If it stays down, great, if not it was just a fluke and scales suck :P

• Like 1

Blerg. My 20 seconds of courage failed me. I made it to the gym early to do some work before the barre class and ended up ducking out before the class actually started. Partly from nerves (I have absolutely no idea what Barre is and what to expect) and partly because it would have gone until 8 and I hadn't seen hubs yet and I don't like not seeing him all day. Of course as soon as I leave I get a text from him that he's working late and won't be home until almost nine. But I did get 20 minutes on the treadmill at 10% incline and another 10 minutes at no incline so not a complete bust of a day

Reason #847 why scales are a bad measure: Since tearing out the kitchen last week I had gained a couple of pounds. I wasn't worried about it all. We went out to eat a lot at first but I made decent choices. I figured it was mostly water weight from salt, maybe some extra muscle and if it was some extra fat, oh well it wasn't much. Yesterday I was still up a bit over a pound from my low at the beginning of the month. This morning I was down almost 4 pounds from yesterday. I weighed myself three times and got the same each time. I had 1900 calories yesterday so I didn't starve myself. I know from past experience that I'll stay the same weight for a while and all of a sudden drop a few pounds but this is more than normal. If it stays down, great, if not it was just a fluke and scales suck :tongue:

30 minutes on the treadmill is better than zero minutes on the treadmill. Here's to finding 20 more seconds of courage for that next class.

Also, scales suck, I do not own one, and only weigh at the gym once per week.

• Like 1

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

30 minutes on the treadmill is better than zero minutes on the treadmill. Here's to finding 20 more seconds of courage for that next class.

Also, scales suck, I do not own one, and only weigh at the gym once per week.

There aren't any classes tonight I can make since I have to meet a tax client on the other side of town in the middle of Zumba but maybe the 10am Zumba class tomorrow.

I agree scales suck, but I have one and weigh myself everyday. It actually made me care about the number less because I see the daily changes, sometimes for a reason (sodium) sometimes for no reason at all. My pants are fitting loser than they were a few weeks ago so regardless of what the scale says I'm doing something right

Part of my problem is I put WAY too much on my plate at the beginning of this year; kitchen remodel, taxes, starting at the gym, going to Rome, starting with a new Pathfinder group that has two campaigns going and like detailed backstories, and the insanely busy time at work that only happens every other year.

Luckily work has now calmed down until fall, the guy running one of the Pathfinder campaigns is a SAHP and took pity on me so he made my character (though it still needs the backstory flushed out), I have my two worst tax returns done (in home daycares....) and my kitchen is mostly functioning (need to get the drain to quit leaking). If I could have one full day home alone I could catch up on so many things but I'm using basically all my vacation for the trip.

"Someday I'll get caught up" - Me, at least once a week for the last 12 years

• Like 2

Kind of sounds like you might need to recharge your batteries and tackle your To-Do list/busy schedule with a focus on priorities to help manage to stress.  Would hate you see you crash and burn!  You got this... almost into Week 4, and it's all smooth sailing!

[ Level ?? ]  Thunderlord of the Legio Thundaris 

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I did take the weekend to relax a bit. Friday night I did dishes, got the house cleaner, and did some work on tax returns. Yesterday I got one character put together enough to play last night and it sounds like we won't be able to get together again for a month so I can wait a bit on the rest. Today we got the drain to quit leaking (!)  and I made it to the gym for 30 minutes on the treadmill (20 minutes at 10% incline). And I did a (heavily assisted) chin up! I used the two thickest bands to assist but I had tried that before and it didn't work so improvement :) I need to work on my grip since I have problems just hanging there. There's a playground right across the street from me that I might be able to use but it will take some courage to do that in public.

I still have a ton to do but I'm feeling calmer about it now. I'm about to go grocery shopping and do some food prep for the week then I think I'll work on a couple more tax returns. Either that or install the last three cabinets so I can work on getting the rest of my kitchen stuff out of boxes, which makes it very hard to function when you actually cook (vs putting frozen stuff in the oven)

I work with the trainer twice this week (tomorrow and Thursday) but other than than I'm going to focus on the rest of my to-do list over exercise. Still going to take my lunch walks as long as the weather cooperates

• Like 2

Week three reckoning:

Gym: 3x; 1x Str, 2x Cardio. I took walks at lunch 4 times last week too

Food Tracking 6/7 I actually tracked everyday but didn't track everything. This is getting tricky as I'm trying out new recipes. I went vegetarian late last year and had just been altering existing recipes but now I'm trying new ones. I don't want to take the work to figure out how many calories are in a recipe until I've decided that I actually like it and will make it again. Yesterday's experiment was a success and I have another experiment in the crockpot for dinner tonight.

Stretching - 1x. Not even a great stretch but I did get out the foam roller for my back after some shoulder work

Daily steps - according to Fitbit my 28 day average is 10,230 steps. I've only had 8 days this challenge with under 10k steps, half of those at the very beginning

Weight - continuing to trend down even after my weird drop. I'm 13.5lbs lower than at the beginning of the year, 3.5lbs lower than at the beginning of the challenge and 3lbs away from my low weight when I lost 40lbs a few years ago.

Sanity - I prepped a crockpot meal last night for today so I can eat before going to the trainer. I have two more meals I can easily prep ahead for no-work dinners this week. I got three tax returns finalized last night leaving 3 left to do. My house is a tad cleaner though we didn't get the cabinets up. My focus tonight (after working with the trainer) will be getting our trip planned

Did my lunch walk today, then did a tour of one of our other facilities which put me over 10k steps and 45 flights of stairs (not really that many stairs, some just walking up hills). Then worked with the trainer who had me do more stairs with weighted sandbags on my shoulders, almost like he knew I was looking at rucking.

More importantly, I booked Pompeii and Colosseum tours for our trip! We have a basic itinerary figured out so all I have left to do is flesh out some details and buy some more tickets. Those two were the ones I wanted tours of, the rest we just need general admission so I'm not worried about them filling up. We're doing general walking around Sunday after landing; Pompeii Monday; Colosseum, Forums, Pantheon, and Trevi Fountain Tuesday; Vatican City with St Peters Basilica Wednesday or Thursday; and Borghese Gallery with more general walking around the other day; and flying back Friday.

Tomorrow a friend is hosting a game night but I might skip out on it and finish my last three tax returns. Wednesday is Pathfinder game, definitely going to that and nothing else will get accomplished. Thursday I work with the trainer again and will plan on getting the rest of the cabinets up unless I game tomorrow, in which case I'll be doing those tax returns.  Feeling much calmer over all and I have no plans with weekend besides lunch with a friend so hopefully I'll almost feel caught up just in time for this challenge to be done :P

Speaking of challenges: I've almost got my goals sorted out for the next one. Still no leveling up system but I have good SMART goals for D&D/PF ability scores. Haven't completely decided on my theme yet. I like the idea of Vikings but because I'm crazy the names are giving me problems thanks to the show. I like Lagartha and Gyda for me but I don't like Ragnar for hubs (he reminds me of a friend's husband I don't like). Bjorn is better but it's Lagartha's son and Gyda's brother so that's...weird. Rollo reminds me more of hubs but I don't want to call him after a candy I don't even like. Floki is awesome but his wife was Helga an I don't like that name. I'm probably putting way too much though into this....

• Like 1