DrFeelgood IX: Course Correction

DrFeelgood

Try as I might I just can't seem to get my good fitness habits firmly re-established yet this year. It's been a busy and distracting few months, sure; but I compare what I've done so far to the same time-frame last year and I can't deny that my discipline was far stronger than it has been so far in 2016.

Whereas before I had much fat to lose and many noob gainz to be gained now I'm simply working to trim up and get back to my leanness levels before life went all haywire (mostly in a good way, but not for my fitness) in October. Instead of being excited at the prospect of finally getting healthy and seeing amazing results (last year) I'm muddling through irritation at having fallen so far so fast oscillating with just plain old malaise.

Since I can no longer rely on my former unbridled enthusiasm (or my IRL Gym Buddy who still lives in Iowa) I'm left to pursue fitness with sheer steadfastness (some dynamic amalgam of willpower and habit). To my credit I've stuck it out, and my efforts so far have been better than half-hearted--more like three-quarters-hearted. :) Still, I miss the momentum I had last year. I've got to be careful that disappointment doesn't start breeding. What I really need to do is forget last year and learn to focus on what's now and ahead.

Ironically, I've built this challenge based on one from last year (15-2) that I enjoyed quite a bit. My barbell program was getting a little stale, and honestly I wanted to shorten my gym sessions a bit so I hybridized it with the Stronglifts 5x5 plan I had so much success with last year. I'll still work up to progressive maxes in the 5/3/1 style, but I've added a couple of sets to the big lifts and nixed the accessory lifts. This should make for a tighter workout that doesn't get quite as repetitive as doing all 4 barbell lifts every Wednesday and Friday.

Otherwise this challenge will be pretty much identical to the last two: I'm going to keep at the same goals until I get them right and ingrain those habits back into my fitness life:

Goal 1: Workout

- Warm-up and stretch at every workout. Use warm-up time to build aerobic capacity with moderately intense calisthenics.

- Continue my barbell regimen with the aforementioned tweaks.

- Progress with my accessory work, i.e. pull-ups, dips, rows, etc.

Goal 2: Eat

- Stick to eating clean, whole foods that are high in protein, natural fats, fiber, and micronutrients. Avoid refined carbs and sugars.

- Log all food and keep weekly calorie total under 13,900 with a balanced macro profile

Goal 3: Drink

- Only water throughout the challenge period: I'm keeping this rolling at least through May.

Goal 4: Sleep

- In bed on time every night. That's 10 pm before work days and 11 pm all others.

- Rolled over from Challenge 16-2: Train myself to sleep on my side and/or back instead of my stomach. I got the new mattress so now I just need a few more pillows for positioning.

- New for Challenge 16-3: Read from a printed hard-copy book for 30 minutes before turning the lights off. I need that time to help settle my mind, but reading on screens just doesn't help. First book on tap is Steve's Level Up Your Life.

Allrightythen, Round 3 is on the schedule. Initial stats will be gathered on Saturday morning. I'm looking forward to some measureable improvement in March.

• Like 9

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Ah, that new challenge smell....  

• Like 3

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Goal 2 – Eat

- Stick to eating clean, whole foods that are high in protein, natural fats, fiber, and micronutrients. Avoid refined carbs and sugars.

Goal 3 – Drink

- Only water throughout the challenge period: I'm keeping this rolling at least through May.

goal 2- how much is 'avoid'? Like what's a good/bad amount?

goal 3 -  Only water? Only?

Moustache+source+hot+fuzz_e899ba_4773721
  • Like 3

goal 2- how much is 'avoid'? Like what's a good/bad amount?

goal 3 -  Only water? Only?

Avoid as in I won't go near them. But if they come near me... ;) Really all it means is that I won't plan any meals with those food items and that I'll try (really really hard) not to eat them if I stumble across them in the wild. The only exceptions are my pre- and post-workout chocolate and ice cream, respectively. Those are fixtures in my weekly eating. I'm a working dad, so I rely on MrsFeelgood to compose our household--including most meals. She's extremely supportive and considerate of my goals, but sometimes we need to punt a plan and roll with whatever punches a day of home-schooling four Minions happens to deal.

For drinking purposes, yes only water. I'm trying to rebuild the habit. Getting adequate sleep will help since my only routine beverage competitors are Coke and Dr Pepper, and those are most compelling when I'm tired. I don't drink tea, coffee, fruit juice, or alcohol at all; and I'm only tempted to drink milk when I eat rich desserts, which are on the no-no list.

• Like 2

Avoid as in I won't go near them. But if they come near me... ;) Really all it means is that I won't plan any meals with those food items and that I'll try (really really hard) not to eat them if I stumble across them in the wild. The only exceptions are my pre- and post-workout chocolate and ice cream, respectively. Those are fixtures in my weekly eating. I'm a working dad, so I rely on MrsFeelgood to compose our household--including most meals. She's extremely supportive and considerate of my goals, but sometimes we need to punt a plan and roll with whatever punches a day of home-schooling four Minions happens to deal.

For drinking purposes, yes only water. I'm trying to rebuild the habit. Getting adequate sleep will help since my only routine beverage competitors are Coke and Dr Pepper, and those are most compelling when I'm tired. I don't drink tea, coffee, fruit juice, or alcohol at all; and I'm only tempted to drink milk when I eat rich desserts, which are on the no-no list.

All that and he can eat peanut butter in moderationMETA.  A true super hero.  

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

That's possible? Jar of low fat skippy.

smile2.jpg

My thoughts exactly.  Moderation and peanut butter do not go well together for me.  

• Like 1

smile2.jpg

...aaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA

Hi Doc!

That is a sexy set of spreadsheets in that there post up there. This is going to be good. You're going to do good. :D

• Like 2

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].

Spreadsheets are pretty cool these days, they're a great way to get to sit at the popular kids' table. The greatest wisdom (amidst a lot of wisdom) in your post lies in realizing 2015 is gone and not comparing it to 2016. You said it yourself, you are past the noob gainz. Now is the time where discipline takes the place of enthusiasm and you build habits of doing what's healthy no matter what.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Following! Also did you get the PM? LETS kick some pancake ass! 

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Start weight is 217.4 lbs. No tape measurements and still no photos since I don't have a good spot to hang the old mirror yet. Friday's gym session included a set of three strict pullups. I intend to have that up to five by end of this challenge. Biceps were sore all weekend.

I was very good about my post-workout ice cream sandwich on Friday. I was terribly awful with the rest of the box on Saturday. :D Then I was awful with its replacement on Sunday. Two consecutive Boxes of Shame have pretty much nuked the possibility of keeping it on as post-workout "nutrition." I still get my pre-workout chocolate though.

Game on.

• Like 6

Start weight is 217.4 lbs. No tape measurements and still no photos since I don't have a good spot to hang the old mirror yet. Friday's gym session included a set of three strict pullups. I intend to have that up to five by end of this challenge. Biceps were sore all weekend.

I was very good about my post-workout ice cream sandwich on Friday. I was terribly awful with the rest of the box on Saturday. :D Then I was awful with its replacement on Sunday. Two consecutive Boxes of Shame have pretty much nuked the possibility of keeping it on as post-workout "nutrition." I still get my pre-workout chocolate though.

Game on.

Well it wouldn't be a Nerd Fitness Weekend Zero without at least one appearance from the Box of ShameTM would it? 

Onwards and upwards, DFG! 

i am curious to this box of shame, tell me more

Lvl 1: Adventurer with monk ambitions

Current weight: 123,3 KG.   Target weight: 85KG

Game on.

This was weekend zero. You are supposed to go crazy with food. 

Now put that box away and kick some ass!

Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

This was weekend zero. You are supposed to go crazy with food. 

Now put that box away and kick some ass!

Agreed the box of shame goes back in the closet of shame for the next 26 days!

• Like 2

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

i am curious to this box of shame, tell me more

The Box of Shame is where Doodlies go to hide when they have... "misbehaved" around food. Normally by eating bad things in vast quantities.

200_s.gif

It's our Weekend 0 Holiday Home.

• Like 7

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

I am gratefull for your explanation

Sent from the past

In my case it was a Matryoshka Box of Shame because of the empty ice cream sandwich boxes nested inside an additional box for collecting trash all with me inside the Doodlie Box of Shame. :D

• Like 3

Came for Doodlies' entertaining gifs, subbed to watch you crush it this month.

Please figure out a way to make ice cream work as a post-workout snack so that I can live vicariously through you.

• Like 2

Mekong, level 11 Cherek Adventurer STR 37|DEX 27|STA 35|CON 32|WIS 35|CHA 27

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

Current Challenge