DrFeelgood IX: Course Correction

DrFeelgood

W1D1 - 4/4, aw yeah! I put the shame back in the box and shelved it for another time, because as Terah and jcsimmons reminded me this challenge is all about discipline. The discipline of kicking ass. B)

First workout under the new regimen is done. I'm not doing that many fewer overall reps, but with only two setups per day I am saving a little time. In all my gym session was about 20 minutes shorter. Barbell lifts were strong, and I finally embraced some anger at not getting the reps I deserve. I think some of my strength regression owes to being a little too careful lately--I haven't really been pushing myself. Well that ends with this challenge. It's time to make the numbers go up again.

Calories were on point with an excellent balance of macros. We're finally settling in to a routine at the new house. One thing I can't seem to get used to is the stovetop. In Iowa I had a gas range, but the stove here is one of those ceramic smooth-top electric jobs and it SUCKS! It's soooo slow to heat up and then it just keeps going after I've eventually reached my desired set point. I hate that I can't control the heat. If it wasn't a life-health-safety code violation I'd just cook on a camp stove. At least I have my new grill. All that is only to say that my standard breakfast eggs have been either over- or under-cooked recently and it's making me angry.

MrsFeelgood found a loose mini ice cream sandwich hiding in the freezer. It must've gotten lost during Saturday's rampage. I can't tell if she's trying to help me or not. ;) I did not eat it. Perhaps I'll leave it there until it spoils/burns so I can mock it for sucking.

I drank WHARGARBL cups of water and then spent the night waking up every few hours to visit the facilities. I might have to consolidate my intake to earlier in the day. At least I got to bed on time after reading a few more chapters of Steve's book.

Yesterday I got the paperwork for a small bonus coming from my old office in a couple of weeks. That was a nice surprise. I immediately spent it (in advance) on a nice new TV--the first one I've bought since the 90s--and a media console to house it and all of my peripherals. I'm crossing my fingers that my legacy game systems will finally be playable again since we got rid of the old CRT screens (stupid!) before the move and our current plasma screen has way too much input lag for gaming.

This challenge is off to a great start. :)

• Like 5

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Came for Doodlies' entertaining gifs, subbed to watch you crush it this month.

Please figure out a way to make ice cream work as a post-workout snack so that I can live vicariously through you.

I don't have the discipline for this yet. I tried and failed so hard it left a smoking crater on the kitchen floor.

• Like 1

I don't have the discipline for this yet. I tried and failed so hard it left a smoking crater on the kitchen floor.

Just save it for weekend 0 then :)

I do ;)

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

I recently went from one of those flat electric stoves to a more traditional electric, which is better. I still prefer gas, but I concur with your evaluation of ceramic stoves.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I recently went to a flat electric stove and it is SO MUCH better than the coils I've been living with for the past like 9 years... I do miss gas... I will eventually get either a nice induction range or pay to get a gas range installed.

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

Induction would be great, but then I'd have to replace all of my aluminum pots and pans and half of the stainless stuff too since not all of it is magnetic.

I made a smoothie for breakfast, so no egg tragedies today. :D

• Like 1

replacing all my cookware is the main reason I'll likely stick with the flat top electric with a confection oven then save up to get everything replaced 5-10 years down the road.

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

W1D2 - 3/3, plus awesome. Normally a rest day would've meant getting home from work and doing a lot of sitting, but since it was my turn for the Waffle's relay I took daughter on a nice long walk after dinner. It was so pleasant that I'll definitely be doing that again with each of my kids in turn.

We've worked a few new dishes into the family meal rotation, but I'd been struggling to quantify them for tracking purposes and relying on MFP analogs and estimates in the interim. Yesterday's dinner was an opportunity to finally pin down one of my recent favorites and to little surprise I've been significantly underestimating it. Now that I've got good numbers for that dish I can see why I was having some of the struggles in the last challenges. I had been overeating on weekends as it was, but now I realize that I'd been overeating even when I thought I wasn't. Somehow I still don't have the skill to estimate my food intake, and at this rate I probably never will. Going forward I'll only eat what's been weighed and measured--that should kick start my return to weight loss.

Water and bed goals were solid. I didn't get any reading done, but I did manage to sleep on my back and side for the majority of the night. Extra positioning pillows really help.

Looking forward to beasting the gym today. :)

• Like 5

We've worked a few new dishes into the family meal rotation, but I'd been struggling to quantify them for tracking purposes and relying on MFP analogs and estimates in the interim. Yesterday's dinner was an opportunity to finally pin down one of my recent favorites and to little surprise I've been significantly underestimating it. Now that I've got good numbers for that dish I can see why I was having some of the struggles in the last challenges. I had been overeating on weekends as it was, but now I realize that I'd been overeating even when I thought I wasn't. Somehow I still don't have the skill to estimate my food intake, and at this rate I probably never will. Going forward I'll only eat what's been weighed and measured--that should kick start my return to weight loss

I empathize so hard.  I'd like to use MFP more regularly to gauge larger eating patterns, but measuring everything while cooking sucks a lot of the fun out of it.  My ability to eyeball is fine for making tasty things, but not so much for being consistent in portion sizes.  I expect you'll overcome with your usual peppy aplomb, though.

• Like 1

Mekong, level 11 Cherek Adventurer STR 37|DEX 27|STA 35|CON 32|WIS 35|CHA 27

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

Current Challenge

I empathize so hard.  I'd like to use MFP more regularly to gauge larger eating patterns, but measuring everything while cooking sucks a lot of the fun out of it.  My ability to eyeball is fine for making tasty things, but not so much for being consistent in portion sizes.  I expect you'll overcome with your usual peppy aplomb, though.

I don't mind weighing and measuring, in fact the nerd in me loves precision. I've been trying not to ask more of MrsFeelgood lately since the move has been pretty tough on us all, and this meal is one of her creations that I love (even though she calls it something that it isn't. ;)) and didn't want to pester her about weighing it all out. But last night she and Daughter were working together so Daughter did all the quantities for me and had good numbers ready to go when I got home. :)

Yeah, I can only eat about half as much as I thought, but even that is plenty filling (I have a slightly larger leftover portion for lunch today because no sides). I was overeating because I liked it and because MFP said I could. :D

MrsFeelgood might contend with your assessment of my peppy aplomb--I've been hitting a foul mood cycle every day right between leaving work and eating dinner, you know, Prime Family Time. I think she's starting to take it personal, so even though it has nothing to do with her or the kids I'd better get it sorted out quick. I'm blaming the drive home since that's when things seem to turn.

• Like 5

Now I'm curious.. What is this dish and what does MrsFeelgood call it?

Is your commute longer now than it was before?   You've probably said once but I don't recall.  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Is your commute longer now than it was before?   You've probably said once but I don't recall.  

My bet is some sort of chilimeta

• Like 7

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

My bet is some sort of chilimeta

Nope, her beefy bean chili-flavored stew has been in the rotation for a long time. ;) I love it, but it ain't chili. It's on the menu for Saturday's dinner, in fact.

It's like a casserole of smothered burritos. She calls it enchiladas, but it's not enchiladas. It is really good, even if it is higher carb due to the flour tortillas.

The drive is shorter, but the other drivers are dumber. I don't actually think my mood is related to my commute, it's just a time of day where my brain struggles to adjust from lone-wolf problem solving in relative silence to the demands of home life. Even though home is where I want to be and my family is who I want to be with, I usually arrive to a pile of stuff that I don't want to do and a bunch of people competing for my attention that's frankly already been depleted. Most days it's just temporarily annoying. I guess I was particularly scowly yesterday and MrsFeelgood got her feelings hurt. In my defense, I thought we were all going for a family walk after dinner but nobody was ready, so I got my feelings hurt a little, too. It's been especially hard since we still don't know anybody here--it's tough to be let down by literally the only other person in your life.

Nothing for it but to keep trying. :)

• Like 1

Nope, her beefy bean chili-flavored stew has been in the rotation for a long time. ;) I love it, but it ain't chili. It's on the menu for Saturday's dinner, in fact.

It's like a casserole HOTDISH of smothered burritos. She calls it enchiladas, but it's not enchiladas. It is really good, even if it is higher carb due to the flour tortillas.

The drive is shorter, but the other drivers are dumber. I don't actually think my mood is related to my commute, it's just a time of day where my brain struggles to adjust from lone-wolf problem solving in relative silence to the demands of home life. Even though home is where I want to be and my family is who I want to be with, I usually arrive to a pile of stuff that I don't want to do and a bunch of people competing for my attention that's frankly already been depleted. Most days it's just temporarily annoying. I guess I was particularly scowly yesterday and MrsFeelgood got her feelings hurt. In my defense, I thought we were all going for a family walk after dinner but nobody was ready, so I got my feelings hurt a little, too. It's been especially hard since we still don't know anybody here--it's tough to be let down by literally the only other person in your life.

Nothing for it but to keep trying. :)

FTFY.  What is the difference between a burrito and an enchilada anyway?   I figured one was baked and smothered and the other was just rolled.  

I suppose you guys have new routines to get used to on top of everything else.  It sounds like you have good perspective on it and it will work itself out soon enough. 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

A big move like this is bound to be stressful for all of you. Try to talk about it with each other. It might not fix the problem, but it might create more understanding. 

Could it help you relax to listen to some music you enjoy on your way home maybe? 

*hugs*

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

- Burrito = large flour tortilla (steamed or lightly toasted), filling layered with multiple discrete items (meat, beans, cheese, potatoes, rice, salsas, cremas, whathaveyou), rolled and served to eat out of hand.

- Smothered burrito = regular burrito served on a plate and topped with a sauce, usually red or green chile based but sometimes a queso, to be eaten with knife and fork.

- Chimichanga = burrito that's been deep fried. Best when served smothered.  Deadpool's version of "Perkele."

- Flauta = flour tortilla with homogenous meat filling, rolled and deep fried.  Served with sauce or salsa for dipping.

- Tacos enrollados = steamed corn tortillas with homogenous meat filling, rolled then deep fried. Topped with cheese and served with guacamole.

- Enchiladas = multiple lightly fried corn tortillas, homogenous filling (meat, beans, cheese, or sometimes potatoes), rolled or stacked and packed tightly, topped with chile sauce (or tex-mex variants use chili con carne) and cheese then broiled (baking makes them soggy). Served on a platter with lettuce and tomato/pico de gallo garnish and eaten with a knife and fork.

Man do I love being back in the Southwest. :D If only my beloved California burrito and carne-asada fries would migrate this way from San Diego.
Any wonder how I got fat again?

What in the world is a hotdish? In nine years of living in the Midwest I never heard that term.

• Like 3

- Burrito = large flour tortilla (steamed or lightly toasted), filling layered with multiple discrete items (meat, beans, cheese, potatoes, rice, salsas, cremas, whathaveyou), rolled and served to eat out of hand.

- Smothered burrito = regular burrito served on a plate and topped with a sauce, usually red or green chile based but sometimes a queso, to be eaten with knife and fork.

- Chimichanga = burrito that's been deep fried. Best when served smothered.  Deadpool's version of "Perkele."

- Flauta = flour tortilla with homogenous meat filling, rolled and deep fried.  Served with sauce or salsa for dipping.

- Tacos enrollados = steamed corn tortillas with homogenous meat filling, rolled then deep fried. Topped with cheese and served with guacamole.

- Enchiladas = multiple lightly fried corn tortillas, homogenous filling (meat, beans, cheese, or sometimes potatoes), rolled or stacked and packed tightly, topped with chile sauce (or tex-mex variants use chili con carne) and cheese then broiled (baking makes them soggy). Served on a platter with lettuce and tomato/pico de gallo garnish and eaten with a knife and fork.

Man do I love being back in the Southwest. :D If only my beloved California burrito and carne-asada fries would migrate this way from San Diego.

Any wonder how I got fat again?

What in the world is a hotdish? In nine years of living in the Midwest I never heard that term.

I will keep this for reference.  So the only differences between a smother burrito and an enchilada is the filling (discrete vs homogenous) and then if it is broiled or ready to eat?

You may have been in the midwest but you must not have been close enough to Minnesota.  Casserole = hotdish.  It's basically any dish with a combination of meat and carb and cheese, and frequently some sort of cream of something soup that is put in a dish and then baked....until hot..and usually bubble and golden brown on top.   

• Like 6

And just like that my afternoon breakfast of fried rice became southwest fried rice.  :P

Taco Seasoning All The Things!

• Like 3

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

A big move like this is bound to be stressful for all of you. Try to talk about it with each other. It might not fix the problem, but it might create more understanding.

Could it help you relax to listen to some music you enjoy on your way home maybe?

*hugs*

We'll definitely talk it out, but not until she's ready. She's pretty introspective, so she won't bring it up with me until she's thought it all the way through. I, on the other hand, like to think out loud and problem-solve on the fly--that doesn't work for her so I've learned to present my cues in a way that lets her know I'm ready whenever she is.

The music might help if I could hear over the sound of my brain screaming at other drivers. :D

In truth I'm usually pretty relaxed when I get home, it's the sudden flood of energy from my kids and the immediate demands from my brain to do something productive at the house that overwhelm me. I can't do much about the kids--I really try to be patient but every now and then I end up snapping at one of them over something relatively innocuous (almost always something left on the floor in the middle of the room)--and I have no idea how to rein in my stupid brain. I'm hoping that it's just a restless vestige of home-ownership that I'll eventually move past; but it's entirely possible that my brain just can't be happy when there are things that I'm not doing, and given the amount of stuff everyday life insists on there's literally always something that I'm not doing.

It's the dark side of lazy perfectionism. ;)

I appreciate the hug. :)

So something else stupid happened today. The job that I've been waiting, hoping, and praying for opened up. That's right, after nine years of keeping my eye out for the vacancy announcement it's finally available--not three months after I took a different job. :rolleyes:

At this point I'm not even sure I want it anymore. The only reason I'd consider it is because we would finally get to move back to Albuquerque where MrsFeelgood's family lives. The job is exactly the same as what I'm doing now, only at a different installation under a different command. There's no promotion and it would require another move of several hundred miles, which this time would be entirely out of pocket. And we'd have to pay to break our lease which would eat up almost everything I have left from the sale of our house in Iowa. We moved to OK with the promise of starting over but with some capital to work with. If we moved to Albuquerque there would be a lot of cost with no offsetting gains. The only upside is family.

To briefly indulge my inner pessimist, I freaking knew this would happen. :lol:

• Like 5

I will keep this for reference.  So the only differences between a smother burrito and an enchilada is the filling (discrete vs homogenous) and then if it is broiled or ready to eat?

You may have been in the midwest but you must not have been close enough to Minnesota.  Casserole = hotdish.  It's basically any dish with a combination of meat and carb and cheese, and frequently some sort of cream of something soup that is put in a dish and then baked....until hot..and usually bubble and golden brown on top.

Nonono - the primary distinguishing characteristic is the tortilla. Enchiladas must MUST have corn tortillas. They can be red, white, yellow, or blue (or dyed any other fancy color), but they absolutely have to be corn. There is no excuse for calling anything made with a flour tortilla an enchilada as all permutations are already covered by their proper terms. :)

I've eaten plenty of those, but I never heard it called anything but a casserole. No one makes them as good as little old church ladies. :D

• Like 3

Nonono - the primary distinguishing characteristic is the tortilla. Enchiladas must MUST have corn tortillas. They can be red, white, yellow, or blue (or dyed any other fancy color), but they absolutely have to be corn. There is no excuse for calling anything made with a flour tortilla an enchilada as all permutations are already covered by their proper terms. :)

I've eaten plenty of those, but I never heard it called anything but a casserole. No one makes them as good as little old church ladies. :D

*scrolls back to check reference document*  I totally missed that.  I'm willing to guess I've NEVER have an actual enchilada then.  I don't think any of the homemade varieties I have had seemed like corn tortillas and from any mexican place (we'll call it that because they do, not because they actually are) I've ever ordered an enchilada from (which is probably not many to begin with) I remember it being a flour tortilla.  I feel like I've been lied to my entire life.  

As for the move, although the financial concerns are real, think about the long game..  If you did use up your reserves and moved, there would be a time when you had your reserves built up again.  Would the future Dr and MrsFeelgood appreciate the effort their old selves put into being closer to family?  On the other hand, would future Dr and MrsFeelgood possibly still be in OK and have more in reserve, retirement and whatnot, but regret not taking the opportunity?

• Like 4

I have never eaten any of those items but wow do I want to. 

Sucks about the job posting going live just when circumstances mean you can't take it but you said yourself you're not even sure you want it now anyway. Having said that, I will shake my fist right along with you at this cruel twist of fate. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

*scrolls back to check reference document*  I totally missed that.  I'm willing to guess I've NEVER have an actual enchilada then.  I don't think any of the homemade varieties I have had seemed like corn tortillas and from any mexican place (we'll call it that because they do, not because they actually are) I've ever ordered an enchilada from (which is probably not many to begin with) I remember it being a flour tortilla.  I feel like I've been lied to my entire life.  

As for the move, although the financial concerns are real, think about the long game..  If you did use up your reserves and moved, there would be a time when you had your reserves built up again.  Would the future Dr and MrsFeelgood appreciate the effort their old selves put into being closer to family?  On the other hand, would future Dr and MrsFeelgood possibly still be in OK and have more in reserve, retirement and whatnot, but regret not taking the opportunity?

summer-work-4.gif

Doc, your coming home problems may be solved with a simple fix. John Grey (The Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus) is the source for where I got this. Maybe you just need about 10-15 minutes of alone time to transition your brain from work to home. You come home, say hi to everyone, then go set your stuff down, get comfortable or whatever, then come out and do family time. In the book he writes it in a way that makes sense to both people, but it may just be that you need that little hack to make family time work better.

• Like 6

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Thanks all for the tips and encouragement. Yesterday was better and I think I can make strides at being more mindful of my attitude.

W1D3 - 3/4, failure with purpose. Workout was good, I pushed all of my barbell lifts to failure and worked hard on the other stuff. I hadn't done planks in a long while, and my core definitely felt every second.

Eating was solid with lots of meat and veggies. I did indulge in that last remaining ice cream sandwich after the gym. Water is still working well, too.

I missed bedtime because I was up late assembling my new TV stand. It's one of those DIY particle-board things with about a billion pieces and an instruction manual larger than the one for my car. It took forever to get it done, and by the time my tools were put away I had missed my goal. On the plus side the assembly job got my heart rate up and I actually broke a sweat, so I'm counting all <redacted> minutes as cardio for the day. :D

Today is a planned higher calorie day, and I have absolutely no idea what to eat. :lol: My breakfast and lunch are low enough that I'll need 1200 calories at dinner to hit my target. Thankfully it's taco night at Casa Feelgood, and I think there should be a ripe avocado or two ready to go with 'em.

• Like 5