DrFeelgood IX: Course Correction

DrFeelgood

W2D3 - 3/4, improving on the week. So far Week 2 has been a crapfest, but luckily it hasn't taken much of a toll on my fitness. Seems like eating big over the last three days (most of it wasn't junk) stoked the metabolic furnace a little, and my body composition seems to be keeping pace. I'm not going to force the issue, though. Slow and steady increases should get me back to burning my full TDEE by May, and then I can do a "punctuated equilibrium" version of cutting for the rest of the year to reach my leanness goal.

In the meantime, I continue to focus on strength. Yesterday's workout was respectable given how messed up my diet and sleep have been so far this week. I would have liked another rep for each of the bench and deadlift, but I'm content to complain about benching 210 for "only" 8 reps. ;) Cable row at 100 lbs for 5x5 was a cakewalk, and my final set (to failure) went all the way to 25 reps. I'll keep increasing the weight on the stack at a higher rate until I get it closer to my actual max. Planks are getting easier quickly. I like that I do one abdominal exercise at every session now, and my add-ons to the barbells create a good mix of push, pull, and core strength training; plus my gym days are simple, quick, and efficient. I like everything about it.

Without ice cream in the house it was easy to stay on target for calories. In fact, after consuming all of my programmed meals I still needed a handful of pecans and some cheese to top off the day. Yesterday's caffeine boost helped even though it failed my water goal, and it didn't monkey with my sleep at all. I finally got a good seven hours after getting to bed a little early last night. It's good to be getting back on track.

If the weather holds out then I'll take another walk this evening after dinner. It's Boomer's turn tonight. :)

• Like 4

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

Moving is hard on everyone. Even though you chose this, it's still a major life change for you and your family, and it takes a really long time for any person and any family to adapt to such a big change and feel at home again. It's hard to be at your best when it feels like your feet are on unsteady ground. Eventually things settle and you and your family will too. In the meantime, I think it's great that you're still doing a lot together, that you're talking it out when things get bad, and that you're able to recover from those bad weekends. I'm really proud of you for apologizing, for taking a time-out to sort out your feelings and make a game plan for dealing with them and getting back on track.  Finally, I fully support your decision to buy your wife some "I love you" flowers, that's so super thoughtful!

• Like 2

W2D4 - 3/3, that's more like it. Calorie and water goals were right on target. A coworker was distributing cupcakes for her birthday yesterday, but I valiantly declined. I got to bed on time even though I wasn't tired, so I crushed some candy for a while before calling it a night. I've been avoiding the scale this week, but the mirror seems to be lying to me again. I won't be able to accurately assess my progress until I start taking photos again.

Instead of walking I took the whole family out shopping for new bikes. I got everybody matched up to the correct sizes and styles, and I'll pick up all the gear over the weekend. That'll give me some incentive to finish squaring away the garage since I'll need the workspace to assemble all 5 bicycles and then half of the garage for storage. Might as well clear out both halves while I'm at it so MrsFeelgood can start parking the new van inside. Our driveway seems to be a practice bombing range for the birds that live nearby.

I'm looking forward to a weekend of projects. Let's see how much I can cross off my to-do list. :)

• Like 6

multi3-540x288.jpg

I'm jealous you get to do chores all weekend.  I have several last-minute house guests and parties to go to and I was really looking forward to just hiking with my dog and organizing my brewing supplies.  19 year old me is just disgusted at 29 year old me.

• Like 2

Mekong, level 11 Cherek Adventurer STR 37|DEX 27|STA 35|CON 32|WIS 35|CHA 27

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

Current Challenge

W2D5, D6, & D7 - 1/10, kinda took the weekend off. It turned out to be a pretty successful weekend, just not in the realm of fitness. :) Scale weight was back up to 217.7 lbs--no surprises there given the amount of junk I've been eating. I actually quit tracking after dinner on Friday, so the daily totals for the weekend are all just ballpark estimates. And it was pretty much a ballpark that I ate.

With the time change looming (Daylight Saving Time is by far the stupidest thing my stupid government makes me do) I lifted the restriction on sodas for the time being until I can adjust to the summer clock. It sucks. It also completely screwed up my bedtime.

Friday's workout was good. I hit my target reps and managed some small increases in strength. If there's a silver lining to my eating it's that I should see some mild strength gains and increased muscle mass from all of the extra calories. I got a ton of cardio in over the weekend with my to-do list. Speaking thereof...

Saturday turned in to a shopping day. There were so many places I needed to go and so many things to acquire that Bubbles and I spent almost 8 hours just jetting around town. A major portion of that was stopping in at the tax-prep office to see if it was worth having them do my taxes. After running through all the information entry and prepping the necessary forms, they wanted $351 to file everything for me. I thanked them for their time and declined, then later that night I used their website to file on my own--total cost, $9.99 on the credit card. Bubbles picked a burger place for lunch, then we went to the furniture store to get a quote on the sofas I want. She decided we needed to visit the neighboring "Dollar" store, too. After that I took her to the craft store that she likes, then we went by the home-improvement store, the liquor store (can't buy wine at a grocer's here in Oklahoma), the office-supply store, the gas station, and finally to Target where I bought MrsFeelgood her new bike. By the time we got home it was nearly dinner, so I spent the evening gaming with the Minions then doing home office work after they went to bed.

Sunday was church, lunch, a little more shopping, then home to knock out some projects. I got the upstairs toilet fixed, hung new blinds in the kids' rooms, helped them put up their posters, then did a little bit of reinforcing of the door hardware on the rental house. We made another trip to Target to take advantage of a new sale on kids' shoes that started yesterday, so four pairs later we were back at home where I (finally) was able to get started on the garage mess. I'd say I'm about 35% done with it at this point--my tools still need to by organized and stored. After dinner we did some schoolwork with the kids and then MFG and I stayed up way too late watching TV, talking, reading, eating ice cream (and other snacks) and just enjoying our time together.

I'm not fully back on track today, but the week should tighten back up pretty easily. I am having no problems with hunger at the moment. :D

• Like 5

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend.  You may have missed some workouts but you seem to have your mental game back in a good place and that pays off much better.  

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend.  You may have missed some workouts but you seem to have your mental game back in a good place and that pays off much better.

Workouts are the only thing I'm doing right at the moment. I haven't missed any in this challenge.

W3D1 - 1/4, still not quite feeling it. I beasted my gym session and saw decent increases in strength with the barbells. Breakfast included a Dr Pepper so the water goal was done in early. In spite of a crazy-big fast-food breakfast I tried to keep my eating under control and was right on target by the end of dinner. The hunger monster emerged from his cave after my scheduled bedtime again and would not be satisfied with my controlled attempts at discipline. 1300 calories and an hour later I finally called it a night and went to bed.

If I'd been asleep on time then I'd have been fine. :D

So far today is off to a better start.

• Like 4

Keep up the good work, you'll be back on track in no time!

• Like 1
Doodlie for life, Pancake by choice
Spoiler

Challenge 12, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 

Challenges 2017: 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28

Challenges 2018: 29, 30, 31, 32, 3334, 35,

Challenges 2019: 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Challenges 2020: 41, 42, 43, 44, 45

Challenges 2023: 46, 47

W3D2 - 3/3, for the most part. Kept my calories on target and managed to avoid snacking by hiding out in my bedroom all evening--giant headache was pretty convincing, too. Stuck to water all day (that had repercussions all night) and steered clear of any and all caffeine in the (vain) hope of trying to get my sleep schedule reset to the new clock hours. Naturally as soon as the sun went down my headache cleared and I got all perky. I stayed in bed awake until just around 2 am. Needless to say I'm dragging arse today.

I've got a good workout on tap for this afternoon. Can't wait to punish some iron.

• Like 5

W3D3 - 4/4, that's more like it. Workout went well even though I stalled a bit on my overhead press. I miscalculated my series and ended up lifting too much weight early on before going for AMRAP on the last set. It'll come back around I'm sure. Squat was nice and strong, rows are progressing well (last set went to 17 reps), and I upped the intensity of my planks by shortening the rest period to only 30 seconds between holds. Some of the older guys (~60-ish) were joshing with me about being a youngster, so I asked them just how young they thought I was? "25, maybe 26?" :lol: I'll certainly take the compliment. On the injury front, my back is still holding up well but my knee is not showing any signs of improvement. It may be time to schedule a check-up--I need to find a new local doctor anyway.

Eating is coming back around. I'm still peckish after dinner, but I expect that to even out as I work my calories back up to maintenance. I haven't been weighing with any kind of seriousness, but I've been keeping an eye on the scale just to monitor the impact of my metabolic rehabilitation efforts. After the weekend's craziness I topped out above 220, but following a couple days of measured discipline again I'm holding around 219. The time-frame is too short to draw any real conclusions, but I'm using that as an indicator that my current level is still a slight deficit and that I can keep raising targets without fearing too much weight gain.

I've managed to avoid sodas for two days running now. Hopefully I can keep the streak going through the rest of the challenge, because...

Sleep seems to be coming back around, too. I was in bed on time last night and actually fell asleep before midnight. I still snoozed a little too much this morning, but as far as I can tell I spent all of my sleeping hours on my back or side. I think the hardest part of Saving Daylight is training myself to wake up in the dark again. In my perfect world I'd be getting out of bed each morning just as the sun rises.

Maybe I should've been a farmer. :D

• Like 2

So good to hear things are going so much better!

And it's always nice to hear you look young (after you enter the 30's that is, before that it's more like an insult ;) )

• Like 1
Spoiler

I think the hardest part of Saving Daylight is training myself to wake up in the dark again. In my perfect world I'd be getting out of bed each morning just as the sun rises.

Yes!  I've thought about getting one of those light alarms but really, I think most of my desire to wake up with the sun has as much to do with the other implications of being able to sleep well and wake up on my own schedule than just the gradual light thing, so I don't know how much an alarm would help.  Maybe if it also sprayed aromas like fresh cut grass and citrus to wake me up, that'd be worth it though.

Glad you're getting back on track!

• Like 1

Mekong, level 11 Cherek Adventurer STR 37|DEX 27|STA 35|CON 32|WIS 35|CHA 27

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be."

Current Challenge

So good to hear things are going so much better!

And it's always nice to hear you look young (after you enter the 30's that is, before that it's more like an insult ;) )

It's a blessing and a curse. On the one hand I certainly don't feel like I'm almost 40. On the other hand I have a really hard time initiating conversation with people my age. Then again, I haven't really met anybody my own age recently.

How are grownups supposed to make friends, especially when they don't look like grownups? :lol:

Yes!  I've thought about getting one of those light alarms but really, I think most of my desire to wake up with the sun has as much to do with the other implications of being able to sleep well and wake up on my own schedule than just the gradual light thing, so I don't know how much an alarm would help.  Maybe if it also sprayed aromas like fresh cut grass and citrus to wake me up, that'd be worth it though.

Glad you're getting back on track!

I've tried those gradual light alarms and they're just not quite the same. Plus they're almost always hideous. But I'd buy six and get up every day in a heartbeat if they emulated the smells of bacon and donuts. :D

• Like 2

W3D4 - 2/3, but rougher than it looks. I was on track for a perfect day--after eating my allotted calories and drinking all my water I was in bed on time and ready for a good night's rest. I spent some time after work yesterday getting familiar with my new lawn and planning how much maintenance it's going to need this year, so I got some sun and a bit of exercise which I thought would help me sleep.

Wrong.

I laid there until 1 am and was still wide awake. Finally I had to get up and go downstairs so as not to disrupt MrsFeelgood's sleep. I fired up Netflix and watched several episodes of The Office. In the course of events I began lightly snacking on pecans and peanut butter, and by roughly 4 am I had taken in another 1100 calories of toast, cereal, and cheese. Even though that was technically this morning I'm still counting it against yesterday because if I don't then I'll be ravenous today. It's already going to be rough working on so little sleep, especially since I got in so late and will be staying late. I'll need to be mindful of my expectations for the gym today.

• Like 3

I've tried those gradual light alarms and they're just not quite the same. Plus they're almost always hideous. But I'd buy six and get up every day in a heartbeat if they emulated the smells of bacon and donuts. :D

Than this is something for you.

How are grownups supposed to make friends, especially when they don't look like grownups? :lol:

I joined the local mommy club ;) I do look my age now, but before the second rascal arrived I was still asked for my ID when I wanted to buy liquor (back then you could buy it at 16 years of age)

• Like 1
Spoiler

I joined the local mommy club ;)

I'm guessing this won't be an option for DFG. Or maybe he'll just have better luck than I did when I tried it. :)

• Like 4

~~ VALHALLA, I AM COMING! ~~

Season 1 (2015): #0 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

Season 2 (2016): #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12  #13 #14 #15 

Season 3 (2017): #16 #17 #18 

W3D4 - 2/3, but rougher than it looks. I was on track for a perfect day--after eating my allotted calories and drinking all my water I was in bed on time and ready for a good night's rest. I spent some time after work yesterday getting familiar with my new lawn and planning how much maintenance it's going to need this year, so I got some sun and a bit of exercise which I thought would help me sleep.

Wrong.

I laid there until 1 am and was still wide awake. Finally I had to get up and go downstairs so as not to disrupt MrsFeelgood's sleep. I fired up Netflix and watched several episodes of The Office. In the course of events I began lightly snacking on pecans and peanut butter, and by roughly 4 am I had taken in another 1100 calories of toast, cereal, and cheese. Even though that was technically this morning I'm still counting it against yesterday because if I don't then I'll be ravenous today. It's already going to be rough working on so little sleep, especially since I got in so late and will be staying late. I'll need to be mindful of my expectations for the gym today.

So is this late night snacking your typical watching TV snacking just snack or do you have genuine hunger late at night?   If you are hungry maybe you need to change some of your macros around or do some substitutions in your daily meals to things more filling with the same calories?   

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

So is this late night snacking your typical watching TV snacking just snack or do you have genuine hunger late at night?   If you are hungry maybe you need to change some of your macros around or do some substitutions in your daily meals to things more filling with the same calories?

I honestly don't know. I don't really have a "typical" snack, I just get in these modes where I want to keep eating and then I raid the pantry over and over again looking for small things to eat--all of which fails to curb my appetite so I cave and prepare something bigger. Lately I suspect it has something to do with erratic sleep; I usually seem to want to eat more when I haven't been sleeping enough. Earlier in this challenge I attributed it all the extra cardio I was doing. I haven't really been tracking macros, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've skewed a bit carb heavy. I probably do need more protein.

One of the reasons I'm trying to slowly walk my eating back up to maintenance level is to try and get the snacking under control. The other is so that I can start cutting again by summer.

I honestly don't know. I don't really have a "typical" snack, I just get in these modes where I want to keep eating and then I raid the pantry over and over again looking for small things to eat--all of which fails to curb my appetite so I cave and prepare something bigger. Lately I suspect it has something to do with erratic sleep; I usually seem to want to eat more when I haven't been sleeping enough. Earlier in this challenge I attributed it all the extra cardio I was doing. I haven't really been tracking macros, but I wouldn't be surprised if they've skewed a bit carb heavy. I probably do need more protein.

One of the reasons I'm trying to slowly walk my eating back up to maintenance level is to try and get the snacking under control. The other is so that I can start cutting again by summer.

Maybe use protein to account for as much of the increase up to maintenance as you can.  it might make you feel more sated and less likely to snack.  

Also, someone mentioned that when they felt like they needed to snack on carbs, they ate eggs and it seemed to cure the craving.  Odd, but it's worked for me too.  

I'm not aiming for carbs when I snack, that's just what happens to be in the pantry. Shelf stable protein is expensive. ;) Maybe I'll keep a small pan on the stove to fry some eggs for when the hunger beast comes knocking. We go through 4 to 5 dozen a week as it is, what's another carton (other than fridge space)?

• Like 1

I'm not aiming for carbs when I snack, that's just what happens to be in the pantry. Shelf stable protein is expensive. ;) Maybe I'll keep a small pan on the stove to fry some eggs for when the hunger beast comes knocking. We go through 4 to 5 dozen a week as it is, what's another carton (other than fridge space)?

It can't hurt.  We go through about 2 dozen but we also supplement with egg whites.  My preferable egg scramble is 1 whole egg to 1-2 egg whites.  Doesn't pack as much of a calorie punch, but it's still creamy and nutrient dense.  and takes up less fridge space.

• Like 1