DrFeelgood IX: Course Correction

DrFeelgood

1 hour ago, T2sarahconnor said:

Crazy weather right now.  I am just south of the snow but freezing rain causing havoc this morning.  It was 70 on Monday now in the 30's!  Crazy!  It is nice to hear that you can spend extra time with family.  So important and the kids will be better for it.  Family is so important.  

I spend Christmas break in Texas and fell in love with it.  Still want to explore more.  I wanted to go back this summer but not sure if that will work out.  

I didn't get many political calls but we don't have a land line anymore.  The commercials were crazy.  They have stopped since the Caucasus but I am sure will start up again.  

Texas makes everything better.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

7 hours ago, Terah said:

Def's solution to everything is "yoga"

I'm pretty sure MFG is willing to give you that for free :P

Alas, sharks have occupied the "yoga" mat this week.  It certainly isn't free, but she's worth everything I've got. ;)

• Like 3

He has showed you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of

you but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?

W4D3 - 3/4, nearly got 'em all.  Workout was on point--I hit all of my lifts and even goosed my deadlift a bit (why build up a crazy stack of plates to get to 310 lbs when 315 is just 3 45s per side?) to set my new target levels in the next cycle.  I came up one rep shy of my goal for bench press, but then I rocked the cable row and planks.  More stretching seems to be helping my knee problem.  I think the issue I've been having is related to hamstring tightness.  Whatever's going on, it's finally improving.  I picked up the rest of my family's bicycles at the store last night, so tonight I get to assemble and tune them all up in time for a possible weekend ride.  Should be fun. :)

I managed to keep my eating disciplined, too.  Dinner came with a whopping dose of protein, and even though I was snackish for the remainder of the evening I kept myself occupied enough to ignore it.  When I really felt hungry I made myself drink a glass water--that helped with calories but not so much with sleeping all night.

The only goal I failed was bedtime.  Picking up the bicycle order took much longer than I thought, and when I got back home I decided to do all the dishes and clean the kitchen so MFG wouldn't be stuck with them this morning.  That ran me just past 10:30, so it was a fail but only a small one.  The big problem was that I kept waking up every couple hours to pee. :D

On the plus side this morning's scale weight was back under 220 again. :lol:

• Like 5

W4D4 - 2/3, missed bedtime again.  Calories were also a tightrope, but I managed to (not-quite) walk the line by boiling a few eggs for an after-dinner snack and counting them toward today's breakfast. :D  I was up a little later than planned because assembling bicycles is a right pain when they don't include all the parts in the box.  Oh well, I got two done yesterday and there's two more on tap for tonight.

One more big workout today to close out the challenge and the Doodlie PvP.  I'm looking forward to the off-week--I need to deload at the gym and take a breather from fitness journaling; but I'm still going to log and track calories as I build my metabolism back up to maintenance speed on this reverse diet.  Six more weeks to go until I should be able to start burning fat again.  My next challenge is already assembled and ready unless I get inspired to create a theme for it in the next few days.

Next week I'll get back in the Bod Pod and see how much objective improvement I've managed over two months.  That could be eye-opening.

• Like 5

W4D5 - 2/4, could've been worse.  Today just might be. ;)

Got my final workout done, it went fairly well even though my overhead press stalled two reps shy of my goal.  Squat form on that last rep was a bit iffy, but I put it up so I'm counting it.  :D  I got 5 strict pullups prior to completing the rest of my sets on the assisted machine, so I reached my goal for the challenge.  Now that all the numbers are in I can take a nice week to deload and recover, then get right back at it in the next challenge.

Eating was good, but a few hours in to family movie night I added some snacking that took me well over the daily target but only slightly over maintenance.  Family movie night also trumped bedtime.  At least I stuck to my water goal to end the challenge.

So that's it.  I'm blanking the last two days on my spreadsheet to get a jump on Week Zero.  It's going to be a good one and I sorely need it.  Challenge wrap-up coming shortly.

• Like 4

Challenge 16-3 Assessment - Final Spreadsheets

Let's look back at what I set out to do.

Goal 1: Workout

- Warm-up and stretch at every workout. Use warm-up time to build aerobic capacity with moderately intense calisthenics.  I did not increase the intensity of my warm-ups as originally planned, but I did warm up and stretch at every gym session.  B+

- Continue my barbell regimen with the aforementioned tweaks.  Nailed it.  A+

- Progress with my accessory work, i.e. pull-ups, dips, rows, etc. Got all of my accessory work done and made good progress with each exercise.  My core is feeling strong and my back is finally on track to balance out my front.  A

Goal 2: Eat

- Stick to eating clean, whole foods that are high in protein, natural fats, fiber, and micronutrients. Avoid refined carbs and sugars.  I definitely didn't eat as clean as I could have.  There were lots of nights with ice cream and a few days with soda.   B-

- Log all food and keep weekly calorie total under 13,900 with a balanced macro profile.  Even on days when I did stick to good food there was too much tendency to snack, especially in the late evenings.  I revised this goal to support my current reverse dieting plan; so the weekly calorie limits were completely different than my initial goal, but I kept failing them anyway.  Macros maintained a good balance throughout and I did log most days, but there's a lot of room for improvement here, particularly on weekends.  D

Goal 3: Drink

- Only water throughout the challenge period: I'm keeping this rolling at least through May.  15/26 is a D on any scale.  I'll need to do better with this one.

Goal 4: Sleep

- In bed on time every night. That's 10 pm before work days and 11 pm all others.  11/26 and I was tired all the time.  Big fat F

- Rolled over from Challenge 16-2: Train myself to sleep on my side and/or back instead of my stomach. I got the new mattress so now I just need a few more pillows for positioning.  I actually made decent headway with this one.  Most nights I avoided sleeping on my stomach, as far as I could tell anyway.  B+

- New for Challenge 16-3: Read from a printed hard-copy book for 30 minutes before turning the lights off. I need that time to help settle my mind, but reading on screens just doesn't help. First book on tap is Steve's Level Up Your Life.  Started out strong, but then the book just gathered dust.  It didn't help that I kept failing bedtime.  C-

In bonus challenge stuff I did pretty well with the Doodlie PvP.  I may have been a little too enthusiastic at the beginning though, and some of the PvP tasks conflicted with my fitness goals in minor ways.  I don't think I've ever eaten so many freggies in a single month before.  The extra cardio definitely acted on my appetite, but it also kept me active and moving when I'd otherwise have been sitting.  In all I made a good showing for my team.  Go Waffles!

I've revised my weight management plan for the year.  This is preliminary and will almost certainly be adjusted after next week's body composition check, but it's a good place to start from and it shows how I intend to go about Project Leanness:

large.56f6971c8e421_WeightGraph.JPG.ab70

For this challenge I fluctuated around 218 lbs while trying to bring my calories back up toward maintenance.  The reverse diet plan has me adding 100 calories per day each week until I bring my total levels back up to maintenance.  Ideally I'd continue to do this until I measure some true weight gain, but I'm just going to go by the calculated numbers and keep adding until I reach 2700 calories per day.  Once I've reached that level I'll start running a 30% deficit during challenge periods and eating at maintenance during the interim weeks.  This should induce a nice managed cut of excess fat without completely tanking my metabolism like last year.  The flat-line target is 184 lbs, but that could easily be revised upward as composition measurements dictate.  It also isn't where I'm likely to settle at, but for now the goal is Abs and I can think about my day-to-day "walking around" weight once I've attained abject shredded-ness. :D

That's my ninth NF Challenge completed since starting at the beginning of 2015.  I've come a long way since then, but it really doesn't matter anymore--since the move I don't even associate with anyone who knew me when I was a super-chunk.  All that matters is what I'm going to do next, and Challenge 10 should be another good one.  I'll see y'all there.

• Like 6

I know there are aspects to this challenge you weren't thrilled with but I think you've had a good, solid challenge again DFG and I look forward to following your next one. 

Your weight prognosis is so nerdy, I love it! 

• Like 3

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

I know you really struggled with this challenge but considering it came right as you were adjusting to a huge change I think you did phenomenally.  You did really well to maintain, and even lose some during this last phase of the transition and you've set yourself for success in the next challenge.  

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero | Affiliation: Doodlie and Pancake for Life

Respawn Challenge Arcs: 2021 | 2022

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Original Spawn Challenges 2014 - 2020: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020

Starting weight = 290.4 (2014); Current weight = 241.2; Total pounds lost: 49.2

2 hours ago, deftona said:

I know there are aspects to this challenge you weren't thrilled with but I think you've had a good, solid challenge again DFG and I look forward to following your next one. 

Your weight prognosis is so nerdy, I love it!

I stuck it out and regained nearly all of my strength, so I can't be too upset.  It is tough to do this reverse dieting business when all I want to do is burn fat and make superhero photoshops again, :lol: but hopefully it will work and be a bit more permanent than my last go 'round.

2 hours ago, LadyShello said:

I know you really struggled with this challenge but considering it came right as you were adjusting to a huge change I think you did phenomenally.  You did really well to maintain, and even lose some during this last phase of the transition and you've set yourself for success in the next challenge.  

In looking at my calories for the whole challenge (a little tough since more than a few days were finger-in-the-wind estimates) I should have gained about 1/2 pound over the four weeks, so the +2.5 I actually gained isn't so bad.  It's probably a good indicator that my metabolism is still a little slow but rebounding.  There's also likely been some changes to my lean mass.  I'll know a little more after my Bod Pod check next Friday--that means I'll have to maintain calorie discipline during Week Zero, though. :P

• Like 4

I think we need a celebratory rendition of this after you did so well for the past few months under that much life pressure. You kick ass, Doc. 

Oh wow, videos are enormous now.

• Like 2

Sarah Barr - Level 13 Warhobbit

STR 18 | DEX 7 | STA 17 | CON 38 | WIS 28 | CHA 12

Challenges:  1   2   3   4   5   6   7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19 20  21  22  23  24  25 (Current)

Accountabiddlydoodlies Group                 Current Weight: 106.1kg                      Recipe Book               

"I hold... that a man should strive to the uttermost for his life's set prize" - Robert Browning

Instagram (Things I have painted or made.)

To-Do List
Idiot Jar Limit: £5.00        Current Idiot Jar Total: £0.00     Current Idiot Jar Forfeit: [TBD].