The One Where Sylvaa Refuses to leave the Adventurers

Sylvaa

19 hours ago, fleaball said:

We can totally party after the Spartan and you can wear your dress. =P And you will rock that exam! And then it wil;l be over and you can have your life back.

I hope they don't go back to 6WC. It seems like there's less burnout with only 4 weeks. But if they're going to keep it 4 they need to figure out a way make it 4 full weeks and give us a few days to a week off in between. Ending abruptly on Friday and turning around to start something new on Monday is a drag, plus you dont' get the chance to reflect on the past challenge, finish a current challenge if you'd planned on like a TRS schedule or something... bleh. It's a mess. I may have written a short novel in the survey they put out at the beginning of this one. >>

Yes! These half-assed week at the end sucks. I told them I wouldn't mind whether it's 4 or 6 weeks (or 5 or 2 or 75 or whatever... although that might become a drag), as long as they are full-blown weeks.

Right now I wouldn't even mind if they just went with the months, so let's say from the 1st to 25th of each month or something, just because it would work better with the way my bullet journal is set up. But I don't think that's up for discussion.

• Like 2

"The way you spend your days is the way you live your life"

Challenges: Current | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

23 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

What are everyone's thoughts on the challenge set up? Next challenge is still up in the air as to whether or not they are sticking with 4 week challenges or going back to 6 weeks. 

Generally I like the 4 week format.  But I also tend to not really "stop" during the breaks when it was 6 weeks.  I just wrote in my BL until the next challenge started.  I do think the 4-week format gives less time to plan a new challenge, but I dunno.... I guess I like it more than dislike it.  

*grumble* what I do dislike is the disconnect between the new forum and the tapatalk app.  Means I can't use the forum on my phone right now. */grumble*

• Like 2

Granny Nogg - Level 10 Warrior

Battle Log| Challenge 8 |Challenge 9 | Challenge 10

My Job | My Epic Quest | Instagram

"Those are not my monkeys."

The 4 week format has actually grown on me a lot, though I agree that it should be 4 full weeks. I like the idea of occasionally having breaks as well, but I don't think I need them after every single challenge. 

• Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

So I don't usually get on my computer consistently over the weekend. Here's an update:

I passed my exam Friday night and got to the gym. It closes at 8 though, so I was a bit rushed to get through 3.1 miles. It was 50% (time wise) HIIT and then 50% heart rate training. I did some bodyweight training on Saturday, but it was primarily a lazy day. Sunday, I did my nice 4 mile run faster than previously. I ran my current normal route backwards and my glutes were definitely feeling it. I also took a break to work on some monkey bars - guess who is able to cross them? That's right; this girl! Yesterday was a nice day - did some body weight work and relaxed.

I am not a fan of the new challenge schedule. I like the fact that they are now actually four weeks (and Sunday to Saturday makes more sense), but if we are only having four week challenges, why do we need a week 0 every freaking challenge? 

My weekly motivation:

36-_-4-e.jpg

Workout-Quotes-and-Fitness-Sayings-27.jp

Motivational-Fitness-Workout-Quotes-27[1

• Like 5

We haven't had a week zero since last year.

• Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We haven't had a week zero since last year.

Completely understood. I don't have an issue with Week 0 in general - in fact I think that breaks on a regularly scheduled timeline is a good thing. I just think that with the smaller challenge time, we don't need a Week 0 after every challenge. I think that it might be counterproductive based upon what types of habits people are trying to form.

Do I think most people are ready for a break after this challenge? Yes. Do I think there are definitely mental health benefits to having breaks? Yes. Do I think we need them after every 4 week challenge? Absolutely not!

• Like 4
53 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Do I think most people are ready for a break after this challenge? Yes. Do I think there are definitely mental health benefits to having breaks? Yes. Do I think we need them after every 4 week challenge? Absolutely not!

I feel like a week after every 2 or 3 challenges would make sense. Or maybe four week challenge, one week optional alternate challenge? 

Congrats on the monkey bars!

• Like 2

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

So, on a side note (because I like tangents), I did some research into habit forming.

The "It takes 21 days to form a habit" came from some anecdotal evidence of a plastic surgeon (Dr. Maxwell Maltz) back in the 1950's. He noticed that it took approximately 21 days for patients to adjust to their new noses (after a nose job) or phantom limb pain (after an amputation). He took that and stated it took a minimum of about 21 days, which then transformed into the 21 days "rule". 

Historically, little research has been done on habit forming and the neurological components that go into it. Two studies (Gardner & Lally and Judah et. al) in 2012 and 2013 respectively showed a correlation between previous habits and current success. The 2012 study hypothesized that the will to change a habit could impact the ability to continue that habit, while the 2013 study kind of disproved that. The second study reflected that more research needed to be done on whether habit forming is based upon the actual habit or the response to said habit (i.e. is it the exercise or the outcome of the exercise) which actually does the motivating.

While most of the other studies I found were kind of common sense (i.e. habits are most likely to be followed when they are set by an individual versus outlined by a third party and the "easier" a person found a habit, the more likely they were to follow it), I did find some research that supports the idea that if people create a ritual around said habit, they are more likely to continue the habit. For example, instead of saying, "I will drink more water" specify, "I will drink 8 oz of water with each meal". I mean, in hindsight, this is totally S.M.A.R.T. goals, but the specificity plays a big part in success.

Also, some research points to the idea that habits, once ingrained, can always reappear. Studies on rats showed that if they were trained two different ways, the training could be manipulated through light on the neocortex. So if one habit was "stopped", then the other one would appear. 

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

So, on a side note (because I like tangents), I did some research into habit forming.

The "It takes 21 days to form a habit" came from some anecdotal evidence of a plastic surgeon (Dr. Maxwell Maltz) back in the 1950's. He noticed that it took approximately 21 days for patients to adjust to their new noses (after a nose job) or phantom limb pain (after an amputation). He took that and stated it took a minimum of about 21 days, which then transformed into the 21 days "rule". 

Historically, little research has been done on habit forming and the neurological components that go into it. Two studies (Gardner & Lally and Judah et. al) in 2012 and 2013 respectively showed a correlation between previous habits and current success. The 2012 study hypothesized that the will to change a habit could impact the ability to continue that habit, while the 2013 study kind of disproved that. The second study reflected that more research needed to be done on whether habit forming is based upon the actual habit or the response to said habit (i.e. is it the exercise or the outcome of the exercise) which actually does the motivating.

While most of the other studies I found were kind of common sense (i.e. habits are most likely to be followed when they are set by an individual versus outlined by a third party and the "easier" a person found a habit, the more likely they were to follow it), I did find some research that supports the idea that if people create a ritual around said habit, they are more likely to continue the habit. For example, instead of saying, "I will drink more water" specify, "I will drink 8 oz of water with each meal". I mean, in hindsight, this is totally S.M.A.R.T. goals, but the specificity plays a big part in success.

Also, some research points to the idea that habits, once ingrained, can always reappear. Studies on rats showed that if they were trained two different ways, the training could be manipulated through light on the neocortex. So if one habit was "stopped", then the other one would appear. 

I read a book called The Power of Habit a year or so ago that looks at this stuff. I've heard that about habits too - they're always there in your brain, even if you replace them with another habit. 

There's an interesting anecdote in the book about a man who has surgery that causes him to lose his short term memory, but the part of his brain that controls habits is still there, enabling him to form new habits and follow old habits. Fascinating stuff. 

• Like 1

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I did my nice 4 mile run faster than previously. I ran my current normal route backwards and my glutes were definitely feeling it.

That's so hard core! How do you avoid running into things?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

So, on a side note (because I like tangents),

Tangent_701.gif

ct8.jpg

tangent-blog11.jpg

• Like 5

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm kinda with you on not wanting an entire week off after each challenge. Maybe quarterly or something.  But hey, four full weeks = yay!

• Like 2

Level: 15 Race: Human Class: Adventurer (Sailor Senshi/Aes Sedai)

STR: 14    DEX: 12    STA: 16   CON: 28   WIS: 26    CHA: 15 

(unspent points: 6? challenges worth)

Weight Loss Progress (SW 12/5/15 272)

Mini-Goal: Get back down to my low 152.2 - SW 6/1/17 170.4 - CW 6/10/17: 166.6

regained the last few months - back on track losing in June

My Battle Log|My NF Character Sheet

Challenges:

1/16-2/16-3/16-4/16-5/16-6/16-7/16-8/16-9/16-11/16-12/16-1/17-2/17-

17 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Completely understood. I don't have an issue with Week 0 in general - in fact I think that breaks on a regularly scheduled timeline is a good thing. I just think that with the smaller challenge time, we don't need a Week 0 after every challenge. I think that it might be counterproductive based upon what types of habits people are trying to form.

Agreed. I imagine there'll be a few week 0s over the year to keep the challenges aligned with the months. But maybe that's just wishful thinking ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Briniel said:

Agreed. I imagine there'll be a few week 0s over the year to keep the challenges aligned with the months. But maybe that's just wishful thinking ;)

Teros posted the new challenge schedule in the mini's thread - there is a week 0 after every 4 week challenge.

Yesterday, I took a jog around Horn Pond. It was beautiful! I posted a picture on Instagram because I'm like that. 

7 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Teros posted the new challenge schedule in the mini's thread - there is a week 0 after every 4 week challenge.

Yesterday, I took a jog around Horn Pond. It was beautiful! I posted a picture on Instagram because I'm like that. 

Oh, I didn't see that!! Boo. BOO. But yay for jogging, it sounds really nice! What's your instragram? You can't tell us you posted pics and not tell us where :P

Edit: and they're going to change the starting day to sunday!!! BOOOOOO!! That's totally not how I roll.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Briniel said:

Oh, I didn't see that!! Boo. BOO. But yay for jogging, it sounds really nice! What's your instragram? You can't tell us you posted pics and not tell us where :P

It was really pretty. 

Uh.... Instagram.... mussermegan I had to look it up lol! (It's pretty boring though - don't get all excited).

I will shortly be posting a picture of a water bottle I volcano'd with Emergen-C though!

• Like 2

NF randomly unfollowed your thread! That was very rude of it. But I will not be defeated!

• Like 1

End of Challenge (Boo!) Update:

Hit most of my goals through the challenge - yay!

I need to shake things up. I am doing so via my "pick my workouts" challenge next challenge (claim a week on my spreadsheet!). It's not a pvp; it can be as involved as you want to make it. I'm feeling some frustration because, while I know I am in better shape than I was last year, I don't see as much progress as I want to. I'm going to have my husband help me with measurements to see if there is any change. One issue I am having is food (obviously), so that is going to be a bigger focus for me over the next few challenges. 

Also, looking at adding an October Savage Race in Florida if anyone is in the area and interested! It's going to be a family affair as my brothers might be joining me too!

• Like 6

Totally just creeped on your IG. Don't mind me. 

It's pretty sad that you've seen/done more in the Boston area than I have. istg. I think I may have been to Horn Pond once, when I was like 7.

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Profile photo is ancient but I'm too lazy to change it. 

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Looks like a lot of fun if it wasn't 9 hours away!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE is Moving

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

50 minutes ago, fleaball said:

Totally just creeped on your IG. Don't mind me. 

It's pretty sad that you've seen/done more in the Boston area than I have. istg. I think I may have been to Horn Pond once, when I was like 7.

To be fair, Horn Pond is in Woburn, not Boston. You are more than welcome to hang out - it's pretty lackluster, but sometimes fun happens!