Elinox's Wicked Welsh Workout

elinox

welsh.png

Helo a chroeso! Dw i dysgu Cymraeg!

Main Quest

To live a healthy and balanced life by exercising and trying to eat healthy.

My motivation

I've successfully dropped weight by counting calories so my diet will mostly be staying the same with 1200 calories per day M-F and then blow meals on the weekends. I've managed to put on some muscle in an effort to become stronger by weightlifting and I’ve discovered that I love lifting heavy things!

In May of this year, my husband and I are going on one of my bucket-list vacations: Scotland and Wales! We’re spending two glorious weeks exploring the highlands and Edinburgh in Scotland and the castles of northern Wales. I’m so excited!!!

Smaller Quests

1.  Walking

I need to be in the best walking shape I can be for Scotland; walking up and down the hills in Edinburgh will require lots of endurance.

My easy/slightly sweaty pace seems to be about 3 miles per hour.

Scoring: x/30 miles in 4 weeks (7.5 miles per week)

Reward: +3 STA & +2 DEX

2. Weights

No matter what else I do in my challenges here, I still always come back to lifting the heavy things. I like it, it makes me feel better about myself and it’s got practical, real-world purposes. Plus, with diving every other weekend now, I need to be in top physical shape to be able to lift the tanks.

I tried backing off on the weights for about 5 weeks to see if that’s what was causing my neck and shoulder pain. I still have the pain, so it’s likely not the weights. So I can get back into increasing my poundage.

Scoring: x/4 (1 for each weight achieved)

• Chest Press: 60lbs → 85lbs
  • Squat Machine: 200lbs → 250lbs
  • Barbell Curls: 25lbs → 35lbs
  • Shoulder Shrugs: ??? → 50lbs

Reward: +3 STR & +2 CON

3. Welsh

Like when I went to Cozumel, Mexico, I want to have a basic understanding of the local language. Enough to be able to communicate in a simple conversation with the locals. In Scotland they generally speak English or Scots-Gaelic, but in Wales, they obviously speak Welsh. I’ve already started studying this language and it's hard! I intend to practice it every week day during the four weeks of this challenge.

Scoring: x/20

Reward: +3 WIS & +2 CHA

Conwy.jpg

• Like 2

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

Past Challenge List: Challenges 1-38

Battle Log: Battle On, Eli!

"You're the best kind of crazy." -Murphy, Dresden Files

"That's wolves for ya; good guys!" -Wolf, 10th Kingdom

Those look like great goals, I'll be following along.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Ah, I'm jealous of your trip!

I'm proud to have a good amount of Welsh blood in me, so I really want to get to Wales myself!

Some practice:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

I'm proud to have a good amount of Welsh blood in me, so I really want to get to Wales myself!

I'm not sure if I'm Welsh, but my Ancestry.com DNA test came back with 19% Great Britain, so there well may be some Welsh in that. I feel a stronger pull towards Scotland though. But my husband has Welsh heritage. 

And yes, I've heard of that town. Not sure my Welsh will ever get me to that level though!

Level 38 Lupine Pirate = STR: 98 || DEX: 91 || STA: 102 || CON: 76 || WIS: 88 || CHA: 75

Current Challenge: 

I lifted weights today and it felt good to be moving heavy things again! I also practiced my Welsh. 

Cymraeg: 1/20

Current Challenge: 

What are you using to study Welsh? A book? Something online?

Duolingo, a free online program. It's in beta for Welsh now. I used it for Spanish a few challenges ago; it's fun and useful.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Duolingo, a free online program. It's in beta for Welsh now. I used it for Spanish a few challenges ago; it's fun and useful.

Sweet! I've used Duolingo for French, but I didn't know it now had Welsh. I'll have to check it out!

• Like 1

Sea Level

Vintage Sea-elf Assassin

Current Challenge: Sea Level I : Respawn
Pro Aris et Focis

"To the Sea, to the Sea! The white gulls are crying, The wind is blowing, and the white foam is flying."

Sweet! I've used Duolingo for French, but I didn't know it now had Welsh. I'll have to check it out!

They just released it at the end of January.

I lifted heavy things today.

Welsh: 4/20

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

I got to level 6 in my Welsh practice today! I also walked 2 miles today over lunch.

Walking: 7.50/30

Welsh: 5/20

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

I got to level 6 in my Welsh practice today! I also walked 2 miles today over lunch.

Walking: 7.50/30

Welsh: 5/30

Swydd da!

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I did weights today and realized that I should switch rows out for shoulder shrugs. I'm a scuba diver and I volunteer at the Adventure Aquarium in NJ, and hauling tanks is hard work. I'm also short so just letting my arms hang naturally while carrying them drags them on the floor. So I need to lift my shoulders to carry them higher. I did this on Sunday and was stiff as a result. So I'm taking out rows and changing them to shoulder shrugs instead. The average weight of an 80cf cylinder is 30-40lbs.

I'm going to aim for 50lbs shrugs, to hopefully make it easier to carry the tanks. 

I may also need to adjust the weight goal for curls, but maybe I'll get there.

Walking: 11.50/30

Welsh: 7/20

• Like 1

Current Challenge: 

Sounds like a good adaptation for real world application.

• Like 1

Nice job finding a useful exercise! I love it when that comes together, don't you? :)

Your trip sounds awesome by the way. My husband and I have talked about wandering around Wales at some point in the future too; hope it's as much fun as it sounds like!

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece's Summer Alliance (Part 1)

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

Nice job finding a useful exercise! I love it when that comes together, don't you? :)

Your trip sounds awesome by the way. My husband and I have talked about wandering around Wales at some point in the future too; hope it's as much fun as it sounds like!

Yes, I do! And real world applications are the most useful. 

I'm so excited for it! Thanks!

Current Challenge: 

Excellent work on finding some function to your fitness!  Awesome work on keeping up with your goals too.

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I reached both my squat and my shoulder shrug goal today! I did 9 reps at 250lbs on the squat machine and then 6 reps with 50lbs for shoulder shrugs. I feel like I could do more weights with the shoulder shrugs, but my little hands have a hard time holding onto them.

Weights: 2/4

Walking: 17/30

Welsh: 11/20

• Like 1

Current Challenge: