What are some movies or books with good examples of Rangers?

I am excited about the idea of the class of ranger. I have always considered myself a jack-of-all-trades, master of none intellectually and the idea of physically doing all the things also appeals to me. I'd like to get in the mind set by also reading and watching movies that tie back in to my Character's class. 

RANGERS - "A jack-of-all-trades but master of none, Rangers are well-equipped for any situation.  Their weight training revolves around varying the reps, sets, and downtime to continually force those body to adapt to new situations.  Usually Rangers follow a Paleo Diet, eating things that can only be found in nature.  Thanks to this type of training and diet, Rangers have incredibly low body-fat percentages." Reference

• Katniss Everdeen -The Hunger Games
  • Aragon I, Strider - Lord of the Rings

THEY MIGHT BE RANGERS? Let me know if these characters would be considered rangers, or if there are any others!

• Rita Vratasji - Edge of Tomorrow
  • Hawkeye, Clint Barton - Avengers
  • Daryl Dixon - The Walking Dead
  • Like 3

Since Rangers are so varied, that's a tough one. 

But I think Steve Rogers (Captain America) is a Ranger.  

• Like 2

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Apologies, I'm almost always late for dinner.  ;)

On 2016-02-26 at 10:33 PM, Katrina said:

I am excited about the idea of the class of ranger. I have always considered myself a jack-of-all-trades, master of none intellectually and the idea of physically doing all the things also appeals to me. I'd like to get in the mind set by also reading and watching movies that tie back in to my Character's class. 

I've put months of thought into this topic myself, and we've had this discussion ad nauseum over at Ranger HQ.  Judging from your examples, you're more or less adhering to RPG convention rather than NF's definition when it comes to the Ranger archetype, i.e. master of tracking, stalking, archery, etc.  With that in mind, allow me to add...

• Robin Hood (Prince of Thieves ins still a classic)
  • Tarzan
  • Kili from The Hobbit.
  • Merida from Brave.
  • Rambo
  • Guinevere from King Arthur
  • Just about any video game with a Ranger/Beastmaster/Hunter class.

Less conventional individuals who could be considered Rangerly:

• Lara Croft, Tomb Raider
  • Indiana Jones
  • Riddick
  • Anyone, including the titular Predator, from the Predator franchise.

You can stretch the paradigm considerably from there though.  The problem with NF's definition of Rangers being so broad is one can make the argument for damn near any person or character with a broad array of skills and abilities falling under the Ranger umbrella.  For example, I maintain that Boba Fett meets Ranger criteria due to the vast repertoire of talents and skill required of a bounty hunter.  Further, I would nudge Conan the Barbarian into the gap between Warrior and Ranger due to his impressive stamina, conditioning, and survival skills, alongside his prodigal strength and keen mind.

If you've got the time for some serious reading, indulge me and take a look at our lengthy discussion on Ranger skills and heroes from last August.  Seriously, take a look.  You might be inspired to try some new activities out.  ;)

The thing that has always amused me the most about the Ranger guild here at NF is how each and every one of us have our own definition of what makes a Ranger.  It's always a delight to see how people try to imitate and mimic their favorite characters and fandoms, to make themselves fit their own broad example through a carefully curated combination of nutrition, fitness, and life goals.

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager