BitterOyster Challenges the Champion (pt 1)

BitterOyster

I like your way of thinking, Oyster. Don't think about what you can't do, focus on what you still can do. :panda:

I had a quick look on YouTube and there's a bunch of exercise videos for people in wheelchairs and otherwise limited mobility! The wonders of the internet!

Now that is Rangering! I never would have thought of that. That is brilliant.

• Like 2

Timely article here on resistance bands - I've always been intimidated by them, preferring to use minimal equipment, but now that  I'm thinking outside the box they suddenly become appealing. Lifehacker always seems to post articles exactly when I need them, it's uncanny. Resistance bands might be good for seated workouts but more importantly they might be worth taking travelling if they fold up really small.

I like your way of thinking, Oyster. Don't think about what you can't do, focus on what you still can do. :panda:
Now that is Rangering! I never would have thought of that. That is brilliant.

You know, I wouldn't have thought of it either without Raxie encouraging me to find something to do.

You win today, adversity shall not stop you, you shall kick it in the tenders, defeat it's schemes to stop you, and mock it's favorite sports teams.

:nevreness:  :nevreness:  :nevreness:

eta: Also, since I have so much free time, I bought the connectors online and made this paracord bracelet yesterday. Actually not very difficult to learn.

pgIVWFs.jpg

• Like 2

2017: Year of the Epic Travel Adventure

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Current challenge - Metallica Theme

Previous: 13 12 11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Battle log/inspiration thread

Spr_GS_Red.png
With a string of unlikely critical hits, Charizard has torn through my team. We're not going to win this battle, but I'm rallying my Pokemon so we can at least take down half of Blue's team with us, and leave him worrying about when we'll return. With our main strategy in pieces we have to use all of our cunning and improvisation to make a dent.

DakFrsl.png
Pidgeot - mobility every day, alternating between feet and shoulders.
Maybe look up some videos of exercises for the neck and wrists, since I'll be spending a lot of time drawing in an armchair with a laptop on my lap rather than my ergonomic desk, which isn't as good for my knee. Writing up workouts tomorrow.

o9Xx6eP.png
Gyarados - 3x seated aerobics per week.
I'll try out some videos until I find one I like. My workout buddy has agreed to join me for some of these so we'll connect a computer to the big TV screen and pretend we're in the gym. Otherwise I should be able to do them in my room in the morning.

QCmtOL5.png 
Rhydon - 2x strength workout per week.

Once I can get someone to bring me a pair of 5kg dumbbells from the shed. I can do rows, overhead press, seated deadlifts (are apparently a thing), bench press, bicep curls. They'll be too heavy for rotator cuff exercises but I could use cans of soup - I got that idea from one of the low mobility workout videos :)

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

I'm glad you're finding things to do, too.  :)  It can be tough to come up with good workouts when you can't use a leg.  

Do you have access to or membership at a gym?  I found that the seated cable machines were a great way to work my upper body without even slightly using my knee.  If not, though, resistance band workouts are great, because you can do so many things while seated.  If you rig them up correctly, you can do pushes, pulls, and tons of accessory work at all kinds of angles.  For core, I found that hollow body holds, russian twists, boat pose, and slow leg lifts (while lying on the ground) didn't bother my knee at all.  

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Yeah, I have a year long contract so once I'm driving again I'm planning to make use of the machines and swimming. There's aqua aerobics on almost every day. Holding my leg up was stressing the knee at first but it's ok now when it's strapped so I can do some leg lifts while lying in bed. I love my thunder thighs but I went from sedentary to strong in 6 months so I can do it again when I'm ready and just concentrate on upper body and core now for as long as it takes.

Did my first seated aerobics today. Ended up with very tired arms, it wasn't as easy as it looked but it didn't get my heart rate up much so I'll keep trying different videos. Some include legs and some don't. There's also wheelchair yoga.

• Like 2

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Back to the doctor, no sign of an ACL tear, hooray! Probably going to heal on its own, no MRI needed but getting an Xray and ultrasound just in case, and it's still full of fluid. Not painful to put a little weight on it but I'm not game to walk on it because it feels like it might injure it again and the doc says play it safe and stay off it.

Tried another seated aerobics, this time with the workout buddy and we both liked this one. I added in a bit of simplified leg movement which seemed fine at first but it made it ache and swell up more, so I live and learn. Tomorrow I'll give the weights a go.

• Like 2

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

I've been thinking long term and it may be a long time before I trust my knee with any sort of impact or sideways movements, so with various moving, work and travel planned I might not be back into Krav Maga until I move to Melbourne in 2018. I'm pretty bummed because it was my motivation for so long. But I was thinking about how I could prepare myself for fighting down the track. Particularly I have terrible coordination and little awareness of my body in space.

I don't come from a fitness background at all, in fact I actively avoided exercise as a kid, I thought of my body as a lost cause and my mind as my redeeming feature. When I was a curious teenager testing my resolve and focus I wondered if I could teach myself complex martial arts forms from a book with no teacher, simply as an exercise in concentration because I knew it would be difficult. I found a book in the library on Bagua Zhang, an obscure form somewhat like Tai Chi in that it can be used for non-combat purposes. I slowly taught myself I think 4 movements (no doubt badly) before it became too complicated and I gave up, but it had an influence on the way I moved because I had practically no other physical education other than swimming. When I watched Avatar: The Last Airbender, I immediately recognised the movements in airbending as inspired by Bagua. Although air is the element I relate to least, I wonder if it's worth learning it again to help with coordination and being able to shift direction quickly. Unfortunately there's no teachers of it in my town, but I could set up a circle in my backyard to learn myself with the help of YouTube this time, and also maybe take up Tai Chi.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

First strength workout done! Using two 5kg dumbbells:

2x10 crunches

10 leg lifts

5x5 seated rows

2x10 seated deadlifts

5x5 overhead press

5x10 bench press

Everything seemed much harder with dumbbells, I guess because you're stabilising much more.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

I can put a little bit of weight on the leg and I tried the desk downward dog (can't remember whose thread I saw it on) and I can do it! Also sitting on the edge of my bed and stretching towards a chair gives me a good back stretch like child's pose.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

I'm so glad it's not the ACL!  Do they have any idea what it is, and are you planning on doing any physical therapy?  Also, do you have access to an exercise bike?  Cycling is wonderful for knee rehab, so it might be something for you to consider doing right away.  Hang in there!  Things will get better as your knee heals.  And focusing on strengthening the muscles around your knee will give you enough confidence in your knee to return to Krav Maga down the road.  

• Like 1

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I was reading your ACL rehab thread before and crossing my fingers it wasn't that! Thanks for sharing, it makes me feel better seeing you badrangerassing around now after that long journey.

I forgot to ask the doctor if he knew which one it was, maybe the physiotherapist will know more. I'm really determined to do as much physio as I can and not end up with another dodgy knee, and hopefully improve the dodgy one too. I don't have an exercise bike but I was thinking of starting spin classes at the gym anyway.

Thinking back, the challenge I'm proudest of is the one where I was doing a rucking PvP in addition to a ton of physical stuff (by my body's standards). I was hitting the limit of what my knees could take, but sometimes just limited by exhaustion as well. Once I'm healing I want to try to skirt that edge again, minus the knee stress, just piling on as much as my body can take, schedule permitting. I remember swimming laps without flippers always used to wear me out as a kid. Wonder if I can exhaust myself with upper body strength + spin + aqua aerobics + laps.

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

Aerobics #2, found a more challenging video that got my heartrate up. For mobility, a wheelchair yoga video plus this, 4 minute neck and shoulder stretches - it's four minutes! Who doesn't have time for that?

• Like 1

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

I'm getting a lot of work done but my neck and back are starting to feel less than stellar from sitting all the time. Good thing I'm doing all that stretching. One of my housemates made 2 litres of yoghurt and wants help using it up, so this delight is in the crockpot right now:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/butter-chicken-in-a-silky-sauce/#axzz431GI7dFb

This recipe is soooo good, if you don't do dairy you can just use coconut cream.

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

I drove for the first time since the injury today! Not game to go into the city or anywhere busy where quick gear changes might be necessary but quiet back streets to the shops are fine if I'm careful. I can put a fair bit of weight on the leg now, I can probably walk without crutches but I'm still using them to take a bit of the weight off to be cautious.

I think there's going to be a long period of time where I'm able to walk but when large amounts of walking will be bad for the knee. That's a bummer because walking has always been a major pastime for me.  All summer I was itching to get back into rucking and bushwalking and now it's finally cooling down I know I won't have a long training season this year. I guess rucking can wait (sigh) but it's my last year in this town and it has a truly stunning range of natural reserves I wanted to do justice to. Also I wanted to get back into field sketching as I've just launched my personal site and want to keep the blog active.

So, I need to look at what I can do instead of what I can't.

tumblr_inline_o45eysAieS1rrvjdh_540.jpg

• It's not really a massively serious injury, as it could be.
  • I'm blessed to be able to afford a gym membership this year and live where I can get to the gym.
  • I'm blessed to be able to maintain a car. 
  • I can still do multiple types of classes at the gym.
  • I'm most motivated by seeing progress, and I will be able to knuckle down and work on rehab, upper body strength and cardio fitness without risking injury.
  • I still have time. It feels like the year is galloping away, but I still have time.
  • I can experience all the natural wonders of this place, not by taking day-long walks or rucks as I like to, but by finding places I can sit and paint, be present, look at each plant and bird and notice the sounds and smells on the breeze.

Maybe I'll make a little side trip to the Druids and learn to slow the hell down.

• Like 2

Lycan Ranger | Level 13

I'm very proud of how you've maintained a positive headspace despite setbacks. You are a very great Ranger, and the Druids would be blessed to have you visit them for a challenge if you so decide.

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

The gym membership and being able to drive again are great!  You can do so many upper body cable machines without affecting the knee at all.  And if you can carry weights around without bothering your knee, it should be easy to do some DB or BB stuff.  And then there's also cycling (which is used is just about any knee PT protocols) as well as the elliptical (which should be gentler on the knee than running would be).  

Normally for me, regular gyms are a bit boring.  But really, if you're rehabbing something, they're so awesome!  Access to a stationary bike, bosu ball (or some other balance ball), elastic bands, TRX straps, and other things like that are great for knee rehab. :)

My tutorials:

On 27 March 2016 at 1:00 AM, Nymeria said:

The gym membership and being able to drive again are great!  You can do so many upper body cable machines without affecting the knee at all.  And if you can carry weights around without bothering your knee, it should be easy to do some DB or BB stuff.  And then there's also cycling (which is used is just about any knee PT protocols) as well as the elliptical (which should be gentler on the knee than running would be).  

Normally for me, regular gyms are a bit boring.  But really, if you're rehabbing something, they're so awesome!  Access to a stationary bike, bosu ball (or some other balance ball), elastic bands, TRX straps, and other things like that are great for knee rehab. :)

Luckily for me I love the gym, not so much the weight machines but I think I'll get used to them. Not keen on the elliptical but very keen to start cycling on a stationary bike! (As long as I don't have to strap my feet in, ugh). Upper body free weights I think will definitely be an option soon but the temptation will be to start too heavy before I'm ready, so staying busy with everything else will be good.

On 29 March 2016 at 10:55 PM, Raxie said:

A side trip to the Druids sounds lovely.  FWIW I think you are doing AMAZING and completely Rangering your life to accommodate your current situation and are still getting so much done.  And your attitude is so admirable.  You're awesome!

Thanks so much! :flustered:

Even though the circumstances were beyond my control, I'm going to call this challenge a loss as it makes it exciting to look forward to coming back and beating it in the future. Instead I'm going to award myself a couple of wisdom points for everything I've learned (after all, everything's made up and the points don't matter!)

Lycan Ranger | Level 13