New Challenge

29vnef.jpg

I want to do all the things. All the time.
But my plate is constantly too full.

The plan for March is to make doing-less-but-doing-it-right a thing. This is the last full challenge before I'm here for a full year. I have a lvl 50 25 dream, getting there will require training, training that requires some organisation. Furthermore it encompasses a moderate fluency in at least 2 languages I'm not fluent in yet. Grinding those skills up will have a place too.

I'm in the weight room twice a week (if the kids are in daycare or hubby is home), at FKS class twice a week (except late shift week), and at the pool at least once oftentimes twice a week.

All of these exercises are fun. It's when I have something come up and I feel a workout at home should happen that the plan is not followed by action.

Yoga and walking are not a thing yet either, against multiple challenges to try to implement them.

Food was slipping at the end of February. Need to work that over.

And while we're at it, I agreed to write a commission for a friend's business. It's obvious I can't post work-in-progress stuff here of things that will be sold as exclusive stuff lateron. But I have a history of being too afraid to write because I know someone is waiting for my words. It's actually my favourite way to block myself. So I said yes, before I could find arguments against it and will have to find a way to be accountable here, without actually giving you any of my writing. Sorry.

How is any of this minimalistic? you might ask. That's a good question. I don't know either, but I feel like slowing down is the right next step.

We will have a mini, there's stuff that's not going to need 4 weeks of constant effort. Those will be my mini challenge goals.

• signing up for classes (including all the behind the scenes organisation) will be one
  • research of one fun topic or other will be another. (mead brewing? traveling?)
  • increasing number of lunges and planks every day will be number 3.
  • and 4... I don't know yet.

Everything else will be sorted in one of my favourite things: A Spreadsheet. thank you, @Briniel, for the inspiration (yes, I stole heavily from you, but all the formulae are my own doing).

Good behaviour on this month's challenge will get me a day in the SPA with a dear friend of mine. Workout, sauna, the whole shebang... (no massage though, that I need to save up more for.)

I think it's time for a cut.

TL'DR

Do less. But do it well.

Anyone feel like explaining how to embed this stuff to me?

EDIT Picture and music.

PS There is a weekend event at a small lifestock zoo not too far from here. Stoneage / Equinox Celebration. We'll be there, the whole family: my mom, the kids, hubby and me. It'll be fun, I'll give you pictures.

• Like 4

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Following.

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I, too, struggle sometimes trying to do too much. I lose focus. The NF challenges have helped me in this regard, I really think. Using the minis to target certain activities independently sounds like a good idea. I'm interested to follow and see how it goes. Good luck!

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Got to see how you go this challenge.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

In an effort to keep better track of my water intake I color coded the bottles with a red and a green rubber band: red minimum intake (also people: hands off of my bottles!) and green: bonus.

Finished my red one for today but didn't even open the green. New red bottle set out for tomorrow.

Headache in the pm... did I even eat anything today?!
Frantic food making going on while bedtime alarm went off (extra early because tomorrow 5:34 bus to pool). Ate, calculated food for today, prepped breakfast for tomorrow, packed pool bag, dry towels yay, realised I had forgotten my workout, Kid being home still and all. Did 2×20 situps and 9 legraises between sets (whatever they are called). I'm gonna count that as a partial success. No yoga yet though.

Now sleep.
Headache is finally letting off, thankfully.

Katrin

PS good to see you, Terra.
PPS Strengthened my Danish skillz 20xp "Jeg har ikke hestene!" and learned 2 new lessons of Russian 20xp "Где парке?"

• Like 3

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Tom Baker was always my favourite Doctor, but I am old school. Wurzel Gummidge (John Pertwee) is a close second.

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Cool – my favorite doctor.

That's an interesting idea with the color coding. I wouldn't have thought of that. Did this idea just come to you, or has it helped you before?

I have been color coding the hell outta everything since my uni days... this bottle thing... no, that's a new thing, but having a marker on the bottle means my kids don't run off with them... and it has the bonus of telling me which bottle I was working on... With the plague making another round in our house it's not an entirely bad idea to keep my bottle out of snotty children's fingers. ;-)

Tom Baker was always my favourite Doctor, but I am old school. Wurzel Gummidge (John Pertwee) is a close second.

I must admit I have only started watching his escapades with the nineth. And I don't have "a favorite" I liked the nineth well enough, I adored the tenth, as did I the eleventh, I cherrished the one between 11 and 12, the current Doctor isn't bad, I haven't seen much of the current season, admittedly. But so far every Doctor had something - quality or companion - that made the stories good, and the journey worthwhile.

This thread came up when i searched for "google spreadsheet embed". :D

Then i saw the tagline Barbarian, so i'm carving a tree with my axe to find my way back here!

Oh, carve away. IF you do find a way to make spreadsheets play nice with bb code, do give me a shout, please!

Update:

Pool was delicious, if full of fools.

Had ~ 45 minutes of x laps of breast stroke (no I can't count - especially not when I need to make sure I'm not sunk by annoying people), even tried out my newly aquired back crawl skillz for 2x1 25m lap of it in the big pool (where people could SEE!!!) and noone snickered or laughed or boo-ed.

Followed by ~15 minutes in the small pool (where I had no people try to plow me over) and more back crawl practice 3x2 laps that still send me to 130-140 bpm heart rate, but I am getting the feel for the balance and am chugging water way less.... so I'm getting there... if slowly.

I just finished calling the SHTV office for the still open questions I had about the licence thing. LSV office was closed for lunch though, so I need to call them and get their information. The SHTV classes would bea bit cheaper, only 2-day weekends instead of 3day, meaning less children-juggling, but the basic class would be two weekends in September (it may collide with my race-plans) and the final class would be 5 weekends in the first half of 2017. That is a long wait. I may end up doing it, but first I want to hear the other options. Also it is apparently common practice for sports clubs to send people to get licenced for stuff the club needs instructors in, and then the club pays the licence class fees.... so that is worth looking into as well.

So much for the goals, next I'm going to look up pokemon for the mini, post that and then play some Stardew Valley or Grim Dawn or something, until hunger reapears. Tonight is FKS (Fitness, Kondition und Spiel) class, which I may be late for, depending on when hubby gets off work, but damn it I'm going!

M

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

So. Finished bottle 1 before evening class, did FKS class (1h workout), stayed afterwards for volleyball (another 1 1/2 hours), went home after another long chat with trainer about training and random things, finished second bottle (total of 3 litres today!) did the post-run yoga routine of my yoga app (16mins).

I need to update myfitnesspal with my food for today and my spreadsheet with today's accomplishments.

But first: sleep.

Edit catching up with general chatter and mini thread this morning: signed up for pokemon go closed beta. http://www.pokemonbeta.com/

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

I am really digging your approach to the minis - using them for the stuff that don't require a full challenge worth of effort but you want to get done! Such a smart idea.

This mini really inspired some offbeat solutions to tackling goals and that's exactly the kind of thing I hope for when I dream them up.  Glad it worked out for you too, Katrin!

• Like 1

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

So I have "bad" news. I say " " because there is a lot of heavy stuff going around in the rangers atm and mine seems trivial comparatively. So the date for my september race is out: It's the 24th of September. Looking it up in the two broschures for the courses I am looking to sign up with: it collides with both options! Both training fecilities have classes I would have to take THAT VERY WEEKEND? So what's up with that??

So regardless of which course I take: (Trainer C Turnen Breitensport Fitness & Gesundheit für Erwachsene und Ältere - done by end of June 2017 OR Übungsleiter C sportartübergreifend Schwerpunkt Fitness - done by mid DEC 2016) either way I'm not gonna run this year?? I'm really not happy with that. I am glad the licence thing is not gonna be decided by which course is compatible with the race and which not, but this was not a step I saw coming...

Tue cal a bit low, Wed cal a bit high, not 100% paleo, but feeling okay with it (85-90%?) Class was a blast. Sure the guys are all older men, but I did not expect to ... be useful, playing volleyball, I have not touched a volleyball since school time (~20 years ago in my early teens) when I stopped liking it because everyone was super competetive and I got bruises ALL the time.

Gaming night fell through - flu season - ugh. Child is still at home, combined with hubby's early shift I have not been in the weightroom all week yet. I am planning on doing a home workout later today, then FKS class in the evening and that'll be it.

I kept calling the second course office in the morning, but no answer. I guess I'll go with the 2-day-weekend-done-by-june option then. Maybe?

13366960.gif

There is a train-the-trainer kind of convention this weekend. My trainer is one of the main organisers and since I expressed more than a little interest in "doing more" he got me in as an extra helper! He even made noises about me participating in one of the workshops if there was room. So Friday night I'll help with setting up, and Saturday 9-4 I'll be busy busy busy busy. That is good because the DOMS have been kicking my BUTT and I really need a distracting, mildly active diversion.

Not sure about the courses and races and all that. Gotta put my head together with my mum/sponsor and my trainer... Oh, and sportsclub charged our account with double the fees they are supposed to... not sure how that'll go, but I am hitting the office tonight before class to ask.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Don't know which part of Germany you are in but this one is about 150 km south of your OCR. And it's in October.

http://obstakels.com/obstacle-run/mud-masters-noord-duitsland/

Mud-Masters-Noord-Duitsland.jpg

That website is in Dutch... why???  --- Okay I read (most) of that, my Dutch friend helped a little, and yes, that is a very possible option. I am holding off on signup until just shy of 11.April, because I am silly like that. And I am going to wait for said friend to say yay or nay on him coming over for a visit and the race... that was the original plan for the race here in Kiel anyway... 49€ for the 6km one, it is still a sum. (It's worth it for me, just not sure how our friends will think about that) Woot. Thank you for the alternative... Now I'm gonna look into overnight possibilities...

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

This thread came up when i searched for "google spreadsheet embed". :D

Then i saw the tagline Barbarian, so i'm carving a tree with my axe to find my way back here!

I feel like a lot of us that have been here around a year are needing the "slow down a little" challenge right now. Good luck on your goals, and I hope you get that spa trip!!

(I found you in the Innkeeper tag, nice to meet you!)

This tag thing is really nice, I must say!

Nice to meet you both!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Mud-Masters-Noord-Duitsland.jpg

That website is in Dutch... why???  --- Okay I read (most) of that, my Dutch friend helped a little, and yes, that is a very possible option. I am holding off on signup until just shy of 11.April, because I am silly like that. And I am going to wait for said friend to say yay or nay on him coming over for a visit and the race... that was the original plan for the race here in Kiel anyway... 49€ for the 6km one, it is still a sum. (It's worth it for me, just not sure how our friends will think about that) Woot. Thank you for the alternative... Now I'm gonna look into overnight possibilities...

It's a spin off from a dutch organisation. They are expanding across the dutch borders, with a couple of races in germany a little earlier that year in weeze but it's on the border a little northwest of Dusseldorf.

I found it through www.obstakels.com which is a dutch site which gathers info about all the dutch OCR events (and since this is a spinoff of one of the largest organisations, this also came up).

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...