checking in.

again.

Had a really bumpy day, not quite ready to be called horrible, because most of it was okay, but we got home, without dinner, around 7:30. My shoulders were screaming bloody murder (Doms and the aweful bag I had carried for the previous 5ish hours) and it was really one of those: if I had a couch that would be were I'll be now... but I don't have a couch (comfy chairs are just fine) and a dear friend of mine is just starting to get into the whole thing and will be there and so I can't just NOT GO. So I went. And I had fun. Got tiny bit of praise, which I am gobbling up, and fun was had, and yeahhh ... Then I played the division with hubby until midnight, so yeah sleep is shot, but domestic harmony needs some pampering...

Just checking in really really quickly.

• Like 4

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

SAT Week 2 - well damn, where did the first half of the challenge go??

(One of the) list(s):

• Buy sh*t with mum for the kids and all of us (stuff for week away (older one), shoes for dancing class (smaller one), hourglass (so I get time off), unspecified other crap.
  • Get the appartment under control
  • Harry Potter Marathon at friend's house (enjoy yourself, but don't eat like a dickhead) 3 p.m.ish
  • Plan next week (at least Monday when the kid leaves)
  • Plan a "cores list" to hang up on the fridge
  • Declutter the fridge inside and out
  • Play more Division, so hubby is happy.
  • Play more Stardew Valley, so I'm happy.
  • Call training buddy and ask about Monday (or about training together at all again - not the "Fitness friend" but the chick I learned forms with (gym intro class))
  • More laundry (as always)
  • Work further on the intro needlework class/workshop I'll be giving in April... look at what I need to buy still (crochet hooks??)
  • While I'm at it: make a list of ressources (where's good shopping for drop spindles, raw wool, yarn cheap or luxurious, needles, hooks, patterns, both online and in town)
  • Play a cardgame or ten with the children: mau-mau, Schwimmen, other games the kid should know for school trip?
  • Vaccum the living room and hall (or have the kids do it).
  • Plan food for the weekend and first half of next week.
  • Bake cookies with little one, because we agreed to do that.

But damn most of that is on the list for today.... tomorrow at the latest. How did I get into this? Do less, it says up there!! meeh. It's almost 10, I've not even had a shower or breakfast yet, and I'm already starting to pile sh*t on my shoulders, awesome start! I'm gonna go do some breathing in the shower. Maybe that clears my head.

This week I did:

• FKS class twice
  • kid 1 babysat kid 2 for the first time, so I could go to class Tuesday when hubby worked late shift
  • Gym long thorough sessions Mon and Thu mornings
  • Training jog at the pond with fitness friend Wed noonish (talked about how it's not a regular thing until I actually meet my weight goal, because that is when PT said I can START, but it was fun. Fitness Friend is a skinny 27ish dude who is getting into it from the other side of the spectrum than I am, it's really interesting to see similarities between us, I'm heavy, he's skinny, I love swimming, bellydancing and FKS, he's really not into swimming, loves ballroom dancing (I think?), and enjoys FKS, and strength training. There is a similarity in mindset, the desire to be able to move in ways that give joy... anyway. Lot's of chatting, no cool aid, some gushing.)
  • apointment Thu, that was annoying (2x40 min bus ride for a 20 min chat - and a new apointment in June), what our apointment was lacking in time intensity, hubby's made up, so there was no checking out the new pizzaria, because when we got there (without reservation) they were FULL and FKS class was only 1h15 away...
  • some days I did get my bottle empty, yesterday was not one of these days.
  • no yoga
  • no mini (still haven't sent in my signup paperwork for the first week battle)
  • almost no keeping up with people on here
  • didn't gym on Fri, knitted and watched kid 2 do dance class instead - no regret
  • so ... overall: mixed bag

Spreadsheet   doing less   half challenge

Hope you are well.

Cheers for the continued support.

Katrin

• Like 3

Katrin the Morag Lvl 22 Cadet, half klingon, c-licensed trainer, mother of two, gaming nerd

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Um, what happened to slowing down?

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 3

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Um, what happened to slowing down?

I'm really right there with you.

I am struggling -hard- with the slowing down. Really, really hard. I do less but all the things end up on lists anyway and then they are these damocles swords... ughhhh.

EDIT

Thank you for the poke... that really helped.

*rebooting the "things I'm not worrying about today" list*

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

It's really nice and a novelty sadly to have someone pick up what I'm doing and actually running with it and inspiring back at me (I know that grammar was flawed, moving on).

I love the idea of inspiring at someone/having someone inspire at you. It's a perfect way of explaining that thing when you and someone else start building off of each others' vibes! 

SAT Week 2 - well damn, where did the first half of the challenge go??

(One of the) list(s):

[snip]

This week I did:

[snip]

Wait, this is you trying to slow down?!

• Like 1

I love the idea of inspiring at someone/having someone inspire at you. It's a perfect way of explaining that thing when you and someone else start building off of each others' vibes! 

Wait, this is you trying to slow down?!

For the first line you might enjoy this movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0398842/It's a bit hollywood, but parts of it are definitely usable and it heavily colored my vocabulary.

And on the slowing down front .... Yeah I've been failing at this spectacularly. BUT the challenge isn't over yet, so it's still salvagable.

Today I'm grateful for: Central Heating, the taste of water melons, this community of awesome people (Who care enough to point out when things go sideways). Oh, and kindergarden teachers who have no qualms about carrying around crying children just because the children need it.

Things I will NOT fuss over today: Childrens room, having no key-chip for the gym therefore which meant standing in the cold and then ending up doing home workout afterall, moths nesting in my knitting chest (YUUUUCK! Shudder!) (taken out everything essential, thorough cleaning and desinfecting will happen sometime this week), household account being almost empty even though it's not even the 15th yet, munch I'm not going to go to, because I can't be asked. Cluttered desks or picking up after everyone. All in due time.

Things done: kid 1 to train, kid 2 to kindy, me to gym, me home workout, hanging up laundry,

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Monday, second post: further done today: did some stardew valley, some division with hubby, bought a set of fineliners, made dinner, then colored in my adult coloring book, and now been playing Kingdom Death Monster with our D&D group (my chara just died, so there).

But my fitness friend had a surprise for me in our break earlier: He's half through LUYL and made his way to the rebellion. Check out the challenge he posted: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/79794-casbin-trying-to-get-a-foot-in-here/#entry1847355

Paying more attention to the actual goal of this challenge really helped my overall mood.

Grateful for: friends to play games with, coloring books, good pencils.

Not stressing over: early alarms, child away on school trip, lack of sleep, not having posted any music yet on this page. EDIT PC has my bookmarks, yay.

You folks are seriously the best!

• Like 4

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

You are welcome.

• Like 1

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Okay I better Check in here again, don't I?

First of: music, it might turn out to be a longer read

The slowing down thing is not so easy. As soon as I start slowing down I throw habits out the door I want to keep! That's so stupid, and I do it anyway again and again.

I have another FULL WEEK to figure out, so I better figure it out.

• Food logging, haven't for almost a week now, needs to happen, because if I don't log I eat CRAP.
  • I need to get the paperwork out the door so I can do the training thing, partially it frightens me, partially it is an exhilarating prospect.
  • Pool won't happen at all this week, but I am okay with it. It's not the mimimi that is preventing it, but a ranger foreseeing big obstacles in one case and a planned adventure in the other case. On the adventure more later.
  • Sleep - the thing on which hinges SO MUCH, and I fail, not for lack of trying, ... believe you me I have lain in bed staring at the dark ceiling for so many hours this last 3 weeks it's unreal. I never had trouble sleeping. Sure when I wrote dream diary in my mid to late tweens I would wake up 8+ times a night, write down a dream or a snippet of one, then go back to sleep, BUT I DIDN'T SUFFER THEN. I was rested, it wasn't taxing in the slightest. Now I lay awake for hours, sometimes the ranger brain is trying to get me moving with this or that harebrained idea, but usually just laying there thinking: "why can't I sleep? I'm so tired!" I had started to develop a habit pattern of shutting down F.lux so I could play games without discoloring...  I have introduced a ban on that kind of behaviour. Last night I colored for almost an hour while in bed, I'll show you when it's done, it might take me a while though, and then we turned out the lights and I couldn't sleep, eventually I went on the PC, researched some crochet patterns for the handiwork circle (Handarbeitskreis, for those that know German) and then played Stardew until I went to bed -again- at 2am, when hubby grumbled at me, finally falling asleep around 2:30 - 2:45... Child woke me at 7:30, guess how that turned out? Yeah, exactly, there is a reason I have a 10pm bedtime on weeknights as well as weekends: I need the sleep. But NO, my body/mind/something seems to disagree.
  • Water is good, colored rubber band is an amazingly simple yet helpful tool. Most days I easily finish the one bottle on FKS class nights I often finish two (=1,5L - 3L)
  • I skipped last nights FKS class, I was so cold, and tired and then I couldn't find my way into sleep anyway and it was a waste, should have gone, but I was so cold, and I was undressed and in bed (the first time) before I realised I still had class, and then I realised it, and though it meant I really needed some warmth and sleep and send my "I'll not show tonight" message... Gym: On Monday the door was locked (did I write about this before?) as it usually is, I have mentioned before that it is a tiny and kinda iffy place, but they are cheap, and the logistics are super, and I ACTUALLY GO, so that is what I am going with for now, but Monday I stood in the cold and ended up doing a home workout (I ACTUALLY DID THAT for the first time in forever!). But Thursday morning I went to the gym again, for my regular session and the chicks doing their class in the dance room were at it, so the door was open, I might need to get a door key chip thingy... my weightroom partner is skipping out on me, has for the last two weeks, I finally got a hold of her, she'll be back after easter. *grump*
  • I am a bit apprehensive about the Handarbeitszirkel. They want to crochet. I'm a knitter. I crochet if I must, but I'm a knitter.

This kind of thing makes my heart soar:

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/KatrinJosephina/eliza-shawl

http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Nienke/celestarium

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/children-of-lir-stole

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/selbu-modern

THIS: just baffles me:

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/toothless-5

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ric-rac-headband

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/venus-10

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/daffodil-brooch-pin

I know it won't be so bad once I have a hook in my hands again, but DANGIT!! My brain is not made for crochet! Why did I get myself into this? (yes the one thing is made in tunesian crochet, and I am aware that that works differently, even if I never learned I've seen people crochet tunesian, it's gorgeous I know)

I have a tiny little crochet hook here... it's from my late grandma, and it's so tiny... I can crochet with sewing thread... it is really tiny. and it calls me, but I have not successfully crocheted anything in the last 10 years, even borders for my knitting have been done without crochet. I might need to get started with something A LITTLE easier...

My celesterium project ... the one you see up top, oh whatever have another LINK has been eaten by the darned moths. I thought I had gotten it out in time, but closer inspection revealed unplanned holes...  I can't yet fully process it... I HATE MOTHS

Forgive the stupid chatter at the end of the video, it's the concert that I listened to while typing this monster of a wall text.

Thank you for your time.

KJM

PS and more music for those so inclined:

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Another Monday, another 4th week. This challenge is a tough one.

So I took propper measurements again today, weight is back up to

90kg (+700g),

chest -2cm (but it's a squishy area... measuring errors are common),

waist +1cm,

hips -2cm (yay!),

arms -2cm

thighs =

neck +1cm

So measurements taken, I am still not happy. It's not the measuring or the results I am unhappy with per se, it's the feeling of not having given enough effort in the last 2 weeks. I've barely logged my food every other day, IF THAT, I am struggling with the calorie limit, failing more than adhering to the 1400...

I eat paleo if there is the option, but I have given less and less about it and just eaten what is there... it feels like I picked up my feet and am being washed downstream, and maybe that was not a bad comparison.... I am tired.

Talking about that: Sleep

MON 21.MAR 7h55

SUN 20.MAR 7h59

SAT 19.MAR 9h26

FRI 18.MAR 4h57

THU 17.MAR 7h15

WED 16.MAR 6h10

TUE 15.MAR 8h12

MON 14.MAR 6h57

SUN 13.MAR 8h19

SAT 12.MAR 5h39

FRI 11.MAR 7h46

THU 10.MAR 7h49

WED 9.MAR 6h33

TUE 8.MAR 7h01

MON 7.MAR 5h16

I am now at -7h43m (for the last 14 days) -- the last weekend pushed the number quite down, almost made it bearable. I'm not entirely sure how acurate the weekend data is, beause I don't sleep as deeply or as uninterrupted after the sun is up... or the sons, for that matter. But I can only work with the data I have, trying to make it as acurate as I can when I review the new data in the morning... moving on.

Husband buys lot's of snacks, meaning I am constantly either snacking on crap or depleting willpower... and then snacking on crap.

Yesterdays adventure was REALLY REALLY NICE.

I took my mum and the kids to Arche Warder. Which is a lifestock park for endangered lifestock breeds, an arc of sorts. So we cuddled pregnant goats, fed Jakob-sheep, patted mini donkeys, goats and sheep, of various sizes and coat lengths. In their little stoneage settlement we baked bread on a stick over the fire, shot arrows at a haybale covered with a poster of a young stag, spun wool, watched stone blades being broken into form, talked about hole drilling with a wooden tool, and tried it out on the ground, ground wheat into flour and all around had a really good time. Then, because it's really not that warm yet, we warmed up with warm cocoa and a snack in the restaurant and then took a small walk around the hen houses and geese and such...

The kids did have a picknick with a bit of ball kicking on the playground and mum and I even caught a few rays of sunlight sitting on a bench while the kids munched on their snack... I gifted my mom a little pot of lip balm, as a souvenir, that I hope she'll enjoy.

We're thinking about going back in May when they have a weekend of medieval themed activities in the park... it'll be warmer, and maybe hubby can come along (stupid weekend work/shift work) Mum took all kinds of flyers from the entrance area... looks like a few more day trips in our near future...

So much for me. I have been relearning crochet... Even taught my sister in law the bare basics. I will sit down and write a signup piece to hang up in the family center for the first time the Handarbeitskreis meets in April... Then it's homeworkout again today, I'm not going to the gym, I already have a scratchy feeling in my throat from yesterday, no need to repeat last week's standing in the cold.

I feel like this challenge... Doesn't feel like I am doing well. . . not at all.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Hugs, I know that feeling well. So now you have two choices, give up or keep going. You are a Nerd Fitness Ranger, a Mum, and an awesome woman, so you only have one option. Keep going.

• Like 1

Your adventure does indeed sound like it was wonderful. I've had some really rough week threes on my challenges so far, so I know how it feels to be a bit down around this part. I know you can find the will to finish strong. Take a breath, and don't forget the "slowing down" bit, either.

Besides, ...what Thom said.

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Thank you, all of you. This community in general and the Rangers in particular are such an AMAZINGLY AWESOME place full of healthy, helpful, supportive, genuine people, I'm undiscribably happy to have found my way here and that you allow me to walk along in a similar direction... even if I need to take breaks at the side of the road, or walk where you run. You are so inclusive it DOESN'T EVEN MATTER ANY MORE, how "much better" other people are, because I'm moving in the right direction, and I can't even tell you how much it helps... to not have to work through my own mind to get to a place where moving forward is an option, but to just be able to skip that part. Get over myself. Can be so easy. Thank you.

Have some music...

Water done 3/3 so far. Food within calorie margin 3/3 so far, not paleo, but way less crap, and that's the right direction. No gym because it was frikkin cold and I didn't fancy standing in front of a locked door again... still haven't asked for a key... so I still need to ranger up and find a solution for this. Played more with my kids, cards and boardgames, coloured more of my book... first double page is done...

large.20160323_114824.jpg.717d9d2f779fe0

... working on another already, of course.

May not go to the gym tomorrow, easter breakfast at kindy, plus technically the sports club is on vacation during the school holidays, which start tomorrow... (more standing in the cold)

But I'm hoping to at least have my males so far under control that I can home workout.... General cleaning planned for tomorrow too, because easter weekend of crazy. Did I mention that my family is getting out of hand? So Friday afternoon evening my BF (that is best friend) will come over, my first born will cook a casserole for us, we will hang out, play some cards maybe, and chat and eat, then kids will bed and we will watch something with optional cocktails for us.

Saturday mum will bring me her car, after which the kids and I will bring her home (it's easier than going to her place by bus with the two rascals) then I will put the car where hubby can find it and my sister in law will pick the kids and me up to go to Haitabu and sleep over at my in-laws afterwards (hubby has late shift). Sunday hubby will join us (once he is conscious) for the usual easter madness. We return home with unknown number of children, then Easter Monday after hubby is done with early shift we drive to my mum, for a quieter version of easter madness and car returning. Then home at some point and off to bed "earliesk" because early shift week for hubby.

BUT Tuesday the little one has none of his usual appointments, so I can sleep in and I SO WILL

What would I be doing if I wasn't already trying to slow things down? I mean this is the bare basics I STRIPPED THINGS DOWN TO... I don't even want to think about where I'd be if I had run off with RANGER BRAIN and not given a damn... *shudder*

So I will rest, maybe go to FKS class tomorrow night (depending on if I trust the kids to stay in bed... it didn't work out so well on Tuesday...), colour some more... and yeah, slow down...

Love you folks.

You are the best!

Seriously!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

The best part about helping others here when they are struggling, is that when you fall down you will receive help in turn. In reality in helping you I am repaying the rebellion for the hell I have received. It is something that we all do fantastically on these forums.

• Like 2

Found a nice Flyer about the event I'll be at Saturday with the kids and my sister-in-law... It'll be so much fun.

http://www.schloss-gottorf.de/haithabu/das-museum/download-1/faltblaetter-zum-download/files/flyer-wmh-fruehjahrsmarkt2016.pdf

Anyway. I am not sure how the next few days will turn out, but I'm booking this challenge under achieved some clarity of thought and perspective and generally survived. And I did slow down some.

Even with the RangerBrain going all ballistic on me in the middle there. I'm not entirely sure how to grade the challenge, I'll have a review after the weekend, when I get to have a breather again.

All the best to all of you fine folk,

I like the gratitude log a lot:

I am grateful for Netflix, even though it can turn into a time sink, it has its moments.

My sons who are already grown so big and impress me often with their clever schemes or witty remarks.

Smart phones: Integrated digital cameras, huge storage in tiny SD cards, mp3 players, language training apps and communications apps that span the globe with local wifi and no costs, even digital coloring books to keep small people happy during long bus rides.

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50

Here's to a strong finish, and I'm looking forward to reading your wrap-up!

14 hours ago, Katrin Josephina Morag said:

Anyway. I am not sure how the next few days will turn out, but I'm booking this challenge under achieved some clarity of thought and perspective and generally survived. And I did slow down some.

This is what's going to make it worthwhile. :eagerness:

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Logging in here, to tell you fine folks, I did a couple of pull up negatives this morning before my shower... Only six or seven, but a girl has to start somewhere...

Yay babysteps.

Oh, and I'm going to log off now and get the damned chores list done, or at least the things I set to be getting ahead of today. No hiding on the PC and reading up on people instead of chores. Big Girl Panties, yay they still fit, although I noticed my thighs getting slimmer overall so yeah, mixing metaphor with real, so noone understands a word I'm saying, classic me.

You guys be goot.

Hope you have the bestest of easter weekends.

KJM

PS "homeworkout" consisted of getting the kids to bed, so late that I couldn't even make it to FKS class and doing 10 BW squats, yeahhhhhhhh not so awesome...

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Road map to Level 50