Lost one "was-going-to-be-good-night's-sleep", which I measure, but luckily it is turning into a nice slow day. It is raining, so no sport (I'm not letting them train in the rain, even if the trainer wants to). Catching up on the piñata, and other party stuff, as well as the normal household rangering.

LOL, hubby got back from a patrol call out this morning @ 3am. Someone had heard their neighbour (a woman) scream! Repeatedly! When hubby and the other patrol guys, as well as the police got there, they were told it was part of a traditional initiation ceremony. Eish Africa!

For finals week, we used to do a 5-minute primal scream (coordinated time and date for all the students) from the dorm room windows .... just to let off stress.  Unfortunately, the neighbors near campus used to call the cops .......  Odd traditions span cultures and continents.  

• Like 2

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

That obstacle course area looks like a lot of fun! And I love those stormtrooper marshmallows!

Hubby said last night he heard about the place ages ago, but never thought I'd be interested. Really? After I told you how many times I am looking for a place with an obstacle course, otherwise I'm going to try and build one in the garden for the boys and I?! Anyway, he is interested in the paintball shooting, but at a much later stage.

I used that photo as example. I'll add photos of our final Storm Troopers and Death Star piñata, in this post.

Wow - wild weather you are having!!  I hope you got a good night's sleep finally.

Everything looks like it is going GREAT with you.  You've come a long, long way and are doing some amazing things!!!  

Yes, we aren't used to this kind of weather this time of the year, or storms this bad actually. The last storm that was this bad was February 2015 (also a freak for the time of the year) and this whole area was severely hit by hail. That was when we struggled to get insurance and a contractor to fix the roof. Took three months to finish. Luckily this time round a lot of wind, rain and thunder. No hail, but a lot of telephone poles, etc. hit by lightning! And yes, rained all through last night, no storm, so we all slept like logs!

Thank you! Things are improving on all fronts, it seems. I'm just trying to go on, going on. When I feel like I'm not in the mood to train or to eat wrong, I think of you guys and I'm seriously not willing to let you all down!

That is awesome that you are able to deal with your mom better, and for the low weight!

With my mom, and also realising that a lot of (unnecessary) emotion comes from the stories that I'm being "fed" from well meaning family. So I'm trying to ignore stories, and just take things one day at a time.

I'm SO HAPPY about the low weight, although I seem to struggle with how much/little food I'm eating. I have a sneaky suspicion it has something to do with how much water/coffee I drink, and not just the training.

For finals week, we used to do a 5-minute primal scream (coordinated time and date for all the students) from the dorm room windows .... just to let off stress.  Unfortunately, the neighbors near campus used to call the cops .......  Odd traditions span cultures and continents.  

We don't have a campus on this side of town though, but it could have been students renting the house. I don't know, and hubby said he wasn't interested in asking or finding out the details, as the police was there and would have taken charge if there was something "off". But why they held the "ceremony" at 3am beats me.

--------------------------------------------------

Our Storm Trooper marshmallows

01 storm troopers

Caught and bagged! Ready to be deported to the unfinished Death Star in the background

02 bagged DS construction

The completed Death Star with emergency dish installed in the part that tore! It is holding the weight of the marshmallows when hung, and the trench is on. Youngest said that was enough, he didn't want me to draw those blocks and sections, thought the rough texture was good enough. Sometimes I'm very glad to have this logical child!

04 Death Star

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Fantastic, that's gonna be one party he is gonna have.

This really resonated with me:

Youngest said that was enough, he didn't want me to draw those blocks and sections, thought the rough texture was good enough. Sometimes I'm very glad to have this logical child!

I'm also always pleasantly surprised when i got these remarks of my kids, adults overthink a lot things, my eldest is particularly good at this.

Seems like you are in a super headspace at the moment! I'm really glad, you deserve it. Enjoy everyday life is a goal on it's own.

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

We don't have a campus on this side of town though, but it could have been students renting the house. I don't know, and hubby said he wasn't interested in asking or finding out the details, as the police was there and would have taken charge if there was something "off". But why they held the "ceremony" at 3am beats me.

Because College.

You can't graduate until the cops have been called on your behalf for a noise violation at least once.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Fantastic, that's gonna be one party he is gonna have.

This really resonated with me:

I'm also always pleasantly surprised when i got these remarks of my kids, adults overthink a lot things, my eldest is particularly good at this.

Seems like you are in a super headspace at the moment! I'm really glad, you deserve it. Enjoy everyday life is a goal on it's own.

Wish me luck on the tie- and x-wing fighters! They are up tomorrow, along with a small Death Star cake. I actually love doing these kinds of things.

You're right: Life is a goal on its own!

Because College.

You can't graduate until the cops have been called on your behalf for a noise violation at least once.

Go figure! I worked full time, studied part-time, never experienced this (thank goodness!). I have heard many tales from hubby about his time at university, but he lived in a hostel. Although he and "The Group" were up to mischief, they never went so far as to end up in trouble (or almost) with the police! The Group are still friends, albeit long distance.

Interesting thing happened this morning: a previous partner of hubby's contacted us to hear if I'd be willing to quote on typing work from home. I did it years ago (typing, transcriptions, etc.) and was so busy that I had to actually show away some clients at that time. This could open a door for me with regards to earning a more stable income for the amount of work/hours I put in, compared to importing the school books. I would still continue with the books I'm currently importing, but I won't have as much stress on me with regards to fluctuations in R/$, prices, etc. I tried to look up the current rates being charged, but people keep that close to their vests, so I estimated according to how fast/how much work I know I can do, and obviously proof reading, spell checking, grammar, etc. are included. Will be interesting to hear their response.

• Like 3

LOL! Well it won't be much of a Star Wars party if there aren't any fighters? Youngest asked that the Tie fighters be small cupcakes, and I'll try to make the X-wings from biscuits. Then I found the cutest tie-fighters made with cheese and salty biscuits. I'll try keep everything gluten-free. Fruit lightsabers and thin sausage lightsabers will round off the battle implements.

• Like 2

I can't be the only one who is immeasurably excited for TIE Fighter cupcakes, right?

• Like 2

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

gladiator-course.jpg

stormtrooper-marshmallow-pop-diy.jpg

I'm trying to catch up on my NFing.  There's a lot here I could comment on, but I'll just say that that playground and those marshmellows look totally awesome.  Your party is going to be super cool.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

That party sounds fun. Good luck with the typing.

It would be great if I can start on that again, but will have to wait and see. What will be, will be.

I can't be the only one who is immeasurably excited for TIE Fighter cupcakes, right?

I'm trying to catch up on my NFing.  There's a lot here I could comment on, but I'll just say that that playground and those marshmellows look totally awesome.  Your party is going to be super cool.

I'll post pictures, but cake decorating really isn't my forté. Baking this afternoon, and will probably start to decorate this evening or tomorrow. Great excitement with Oldest creating a birthday world for Youngest in Minecraft, and we'll buy his birthday present this afternoon after my 2nd visit for the day to the dentist.

I've done my Strength training this morning. Over extended on the tricep kickback, but my elbow/muscle is better now.

• Goblet squats: 3x8 @ 10kg (increase next week)
  • Core air cycle: 3x 1min
  • Tricep kickback: 3x10 @ 2.5kg (increase next week)
  • Stretching as well

Been to the dentist again this morning, and my top jaw is SORE. My teeth literally ache, and humiliating enough my veneers fell off at riding lessons, so I'm heading back to the dentist in 10min. time :redface-new: Luckily I can keep them in place with my tongue, if I can keep it still enough. LOL it is actually hilarious!

• Like 3

Oh my!  Good luck with the dentist and I hope you feel better soon!!  Sounds like a fun day once you get the dental work out of the way. :)

Hope the typing job works out!  That would be pretty exciting.  I'm looking into different work-at-home options for myself.  I'm starting with Data Analytics but that is a long shot.  Transcription is the other idea I have.  Anything that can be done on a laptop is great.  You can still take the kids where they need to go and get work done while they are playing/learning.

• Like 1

Level 23 Assassin

Current Challenge

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted"

Oh my!  Good luck with the dentist and I hope you feel better soon!!  Sounds like a fun day once you get the dental work out of the way. :)

Hope the typing job works out!  That would be pretty exciting.  I'm looking into different work-at-home options for myself.  I'm starting with Data Analytics but that is a long shot.  Transcription is the other idea I have.  Anything that can be done on a laptop is great.  You can still take the kids where they need to go and get work done while they are playing/learning.

Thanks. I'm back from town. Front teeth are still very sore and heat/cold sensitive, so I can't bite anything off with them. It should be better by tonight. Between the dentist and the technician I'm going to have a new smile apparently. I feel like I'm in one of those make-over shows. :playful:

Hubby does a lot of Data Analysis for his clients when he designs new programmes, or sections. Don't know if it is the same thing that you are studying? Along with the typing I did a lot of transcription work. Yip, anything that you can do on the go is really a help. Our friend thinks I got the contract, but the lady hasn't contacted me directly yet. I really need to sit and work out what I want to do going forward.

At least now I can tick off walking for this week as well. Parked a distance from the centre entrances, so Oldest and I walked a bit. He talked my ear off all the way, saying at a stage that he loved being alone with me, so that I just concentrate on him. Made me realise that hubby and I really should try to have one-on-one time with each boy.

• Like 5

Horse-back riding?  IIRC that's a good workout too.

Yes horse-back riding, but these are Oldest's lessons. He is now trotting on his own and will start jumping next term. He loves it and says he "talks" to Aragon (the horse) in his head.

I did riding when we still lived in Sabie (<1998), but Pippa is willing to help me "get back in the saddle" a little later this year. Have to look at finances, but she is willing to take me while teaching Oldest, and I'm willing to start from scratch, just to get some riding time in at first. It is good exercise for your core, butt, and legs. So lower body basically, and if you have a strong-minded horse, then your arms and fingers get a good work out too, but your not supposed to be hard on the reigns.

I know these kind of outdoors things (horse riding and the ob.course) are things I'll likely manage to do during the day in winter, as it will be difficult for me to get up at 5am then. Just because it is cold, dark, and cold... and very dark that time of the morning :playful: . But it also means a total shift in work routine. I'll handle it when it comes, as I'm more motivated this year than last.

• Like 3

I started panicking a little bit this morning, because the air tight containers did not do their job to protect the biscuits from the moisture and they are looking a bit soft. Then Oldest wanted to have a look at all the biscuits, opened the tin and accidentally broke 3 fighters' wings off. I wasn't calm and patient, and although I wasn't ugly, I was very short and cross with him. I did appologise and again (3rd time) explained about the biscuits becoming soft and stale and not nice to eat, and fixed the wings as best I could. Party will start in an hour, and I'm now taking time out to eat and just calm down. It isn't a major thing, and it is a small party, with just closest friends.

Then my mom phoned earlier this morning, asked to talk to Rocco (Youngest). I was sitting next to him and he really tried to tell her about his birthday, friends coming, the gifts we got him, but she just talked over him! I could hear her talking about her tummy virus, that she couldn't come and visit (she's only once been at Oldest's birthday), and how much it was raining by them. In the end Youngest just kept quiet and suddenly told her, "ok granny, have a good day. Here is mom." and gave the phone back to me. She just said good bye and about 10x "I love you", and hung up before I could say "good bye". And now I realise this is what upset me - this conversation. Not the party preps or the food or the soft biscuits.

Ok, better now. Going to have a nice mug of coffee before the people come.

• Like 2

All went well. It was lovely to have our friends over, and the boys had a great time! If anyone ever thought boys don't like bubbles... you're wrong! Photos of the boys, their friends, the eats, and hubby.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154049712087079.1073741844.591067078&type=1&l=112207e9b6

Edited the link to open. Sorry about that.

WEEK 2 SUMMARY:

STRENGTH: 4 of 8 sessions for the challenge (12.5% / session) 2 of 2 for this week

50%
50%

FLEXIBILITY: 5 of 8 sessions for the challenge (12.5% / session) 2 of 2 for this week

62.5%
62.5%

STAMINA: 3 of 8 sessions for the challenge (12.5% / session) 1 of 2 for this week

37.5%
37.5%

WISDOM: 9 nights (Friday incl.) with 7 hrs sleep/night for the challenge (5% / night) 4 of 7 for this week

45%
45%

BONUS: Any extra things I need to do (12.5% bonus each) nothing extra this week

25%
25%
  • Like 3

I was quite curious for the pictures but they aren't open publicly (i think). And when i searched for Elize on FB i found a dozen...

Great you and the boys had a good time. And this thing with your mom, i can just tell you, you are a lot more patient than me ;) (i mean that in a good way btw!) 

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...

I was quite curious for the pictures but they aren't open publicly (i think). And when i searched for Elize on FB i found a dozen...

Great you and the boys had a good time. And this thing with your mom, i can just tell you, you are a lot more patient than me ;) (i mean that in a good way btw!) 

Good self-awareness there with the phone call, can't see the pics yet but I bet the party was awesome.

I edited the link. Sorry didn't use the one open for public.

I nearly panicked this afternoon though, because my friend (privately at the party), my mil (other tel.conversation) and hubby all said they think my mom is going to be dropped off in front of our gate saying "she has no where to go", because of her now not coming to this accommodation place in town, and the mixed messages she is giving to her sister and sister in law.

All i can say is, BE STRONG! Look out for yourself and your own family!

Yes, but what do I do when she stands in front of the gate saying she has no where to go? Hubby also doesn't know, says he thinks it might happen, but doesn't know what he/we will have to do.

You need a plan in place. You can tell her that she is responsible for her choices that led her to this position, refusing to follow through with getting into assisted living, burning her bridges with her other places. If you can don't let them dump her on you, but they may just make her get out of the car without even telling you they are there. She is a grown woman and not your responsibility.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath