Eirlys: Finding Resolution

Eirlys

March is going to be about getting my life in order and setting up a routine.  I have a court case to go through and I'm returning to work after over a year on maternity/unpaid leave.

It doesn't suit me to be particularly diet/fitness focused at present, so my goals are ones I think I can meet and will improve my overall quality of life and health.  Internet sayz, when you get your life in order, your health improves as a result.

Finding Resolution: Get Stuff Out

After a massive acquisition binge in Jan/Feb, I now need to purge a heap of things (literal heap) from my home.  

I'm not the type of person that can just chuck stuff in the bin, so I'll be listing them on internet sites, posting them to charities etc.

Specifically:

• Take photos of items to list
  • Post items on ebay/gumtree/freecycle as appropriate
  • Dispatch or allow collection of items that other people want
  • Make decisions on stuff for charity
  • Post stuff for charity
  • For electrical rubbish, research a safe way to dispose of it
  • Actually dispose of electrical stuff
  • Get large cardboard boxes out of house (whether in parents' loft or in recycling is TBD)
  • For things I ordered that don't work, contact manufacturer to resolve

If things haven't shifted by the end of the challenge, then I may have to consider a more drastic way of disposing of them.

Finding Resolution: A Clutter-free, Clean and Tidy House

I've made so much progress, but there is more to do!

• Vacuum regularly - once a week in all rooms with powerful vac
  • Dust/clean regularly with microfibre cloths
  • Unpack all goods acquired and learn how to use them properly, including:
    • new toothbrush
    • oven

Finding Resolution: Earlier to Bed

I want to keep my current goals which have been to shift all the pre-bedtime prerequisites earlier in the evening.
This month is a somewhat experimental goal, but I will try different things and regularly review to see how each approach is working for me.

• I need to figure out a way to limit internet/TV interference with bedtime. 
  • I also need to decide on what I think is an 'ok' bedtime, given that my "only-me-time" night starts at around 8pm.

Exercise: Use Sling Regularly

Goal is to use it at least 4 days a week for short walks.  Will track that here.

Mindfulness: Be Present When It Matters

This is an 'edit' addition challenge.  Today I was reading an article by Leo Babatu of Zen Habits that really rang home, about people who plan plan plan because they seek to control things and reduce their anxiety.  I realise that I am very guilty of this; I recognise planning is my main coping skill, however I do it waaaaay to excess.  So.

Be present when it matters:

• Around baby
    • Notice his beautiful face
    • Notice his cute little curls
    • Notice how adorable he looks in the outfits I have lovingly chosen for him
    • Notice the cute little babbling noises he makes
    • Notice the tiny little person he is now
  • At work
    • Particularly in meetings, I do well when I pay attention & badly when I zone out

There will come times where planning is all well & good, e.g. during my commute into work.

• Like 2

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

I love when challenges concentrate on just getting life in order, lol.  You have a BIG life transition going on, so I think these are some awesome grounding tasks.

Learn how to use a toothbrush?  I recently helped our local dental office have an event for Children's Dental month, and during the research for activities, found out that I wasn't brushing my teeth properly!

• Like 1

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

Hi, Eirlys!

Looking forward to cheering you on. Feel free to let me know when you get a little crazy around the court date. I have been through it and it is harder than most folks admit or imagine. I'm so glad you were able to be on maternity leave for a year -- I only have 4 weeks when Vivian was born and the marriage was going through the shredder.

Remember that you are not alone.

• Like 1

&Heidi
Amazon of the Way

Gypsy Druid Paladin

Ranger Year 1: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 

Druid Year 2: 8 | 9 | 1011  | 12 | 13 |Year 3: 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 |Year 4: 1920 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 |Year 5: 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 |Year 6: 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 |Year 7: 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53| 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 |Year 8: 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | Year 9: 

Local Foods Guru | Financial Freedom Fighter | Minimalism Yoda | Smaug-Slayer
Heidi Chronicles My NF Character Sheet | @theheidifeed | Amazon of Awesome | MySlashdotKarmaIsExcellent

I love when challenges concentrate on just getting life in order, lol.  You have a BIG life transition going on, so I think these are some awesome grounding tasks.

Learn how to use a toothbrush?  I recently helped our local dental office have an event for Children's Dental month, and during the research for activities, found out that I wasn't brushing my teeth properly!

Thanks Leimanu, I appreciate your encouragement :)

I ordered a new fancy-pants toothbrush with loads of functionality (not least UV light to kill bacteria in the toothbrush head) and I haven't even got it out of its box/started charging yet.  Plus I am pretty gutted that I saw it in amazon's daily deals for $55 USD cheaper just 2 days after I ordered it from them.  Dammit!! :)

You're right that toothbrush technique tends to slip through the gaps over the years.  My sister-in-law is a dentist and she gave me advice that I would loved to have known years ago... ah well!  But I think I'll take some inspiration from your post and also try find a youtube video or something on 'how to actually clean your teeth PROPERLY' :)

Hi, Eirlys!

Looking forward to cheering you on. Feel free to let me know when you get a little crazy around the court date. I have been through it and it is harder than most folks admit or imagine. I'm so glad you were able to be on maternity leave for a year -- I only have 4 weeks when Vivian was born and the marriage was going through the shredder.

Remember that you are not alone.

Thanks Heidi.  Yeah I have been warned that this court hearing is likely to be 'traumatic', so I would appreciate support if you are able to offer it.

We are lucky in the UK that maternity leave is much longer than in USA & other places.  A year is what we are entitled to if we want; I managed to extend that with holidays and then unpaid leave so I have been off for 15 months.  Hope my new boss is good!

It is good to know I am not alone :)

• Like 1

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Facebook

On goal 3 (earlier to bed), I think what I need to do initially is:

• aim to be IN BED for 10:45pm
  • monitor what it is I am doing on the internet in the evenings, and how long it is taking, and what the purpose of it is.

I know I was doing a lot of internet shopping & research for expensive one-off purchases in the last 2 months; I now have very few of these left to make, so that is a plus.

-- Facebook

In order to meet my de cluttering 'out' goal, week 1 will mostly be about getting a heck of a lot of washing done. I will need to set up a pipeline of washing so this runs efficiently.

-- Facebook

When you master proper toothbrush operating, would you be so kind as to maybe make an instructional sheet of some kind for those of us who may not be doing it right?  I mean, I just haphazardly apply toothpaste and swoosh it around in my mouth in a scrubbing motion, but it sounds like you might be elevating the art of toothpaste application to a higher level.  :D

• Like 1

Lvl 4 Mystical Taoist Priest

"All teachings are mere references. The true experience is living your own life. Then, even the holiest of words are only words." - Ming-Dao Deng

Challenge #1 2 3 4

I ordered a new fancy-pants toothbrush with loads of functionality (not least UV light to kill bacteria in the toothbrush head) and I haven't even got it out of its box/started charging yet.  Plus I am pretty gutted that I saw it in amazon's daily deals for $55 USD cheaper just 2 days after I ordered it from them.  Dammit!! :)

Sounds like a pretty fancy set up.  It sounds like Sheldon's toothbrush!

391238b699166e13260d6ec22676601d.jpg

tumblr_lvynzoVzyJ1r4vmplo1_500.gif

Hehe Leimanu.  Well I would be upset too if anyone used my toothbrush! :)

I tried the thing tonight as the other electric one had given up the ghost (again!  after 4 brushes on a full charge!) and it made some kind of scary noise when I turned it on, a bit like being at a dentist!  Will read instructions and observe youtube videos later on in the challenge to get full toothbrushing marks from the judges :)

I also tried out my new hoover with its "turbobrush" extension today for the first time - something else that makes a terrifying noise.  Glad the baby was not in the house at the time!  Still, the floors are looking a lot cleaner upstairs.

Bad news: downstairs is already becoming dusty after I defeated the dust a week ago, and the 2-month-old lightweight hoover is pushing crumbs around rather than picking them up.  Will need to debug it :(

~~~

I plan on deactivating my facebook account tomorrow.

I have realised that when I am "present" in my body, I actually notice I have poor posture and correct it.  As well as all the other advantages.

I keep finding myself trying to switch out to The Matrix constantly and will be monitoring my thoughts to dig deeper, Neo-style, to understand why I feel such a need to do so, and what "excuses" I am using to justify it.  It's like a proper compulsion/addiction.  My career choice does not help with this.

~~~

I have been horribly ill in the last 2 days (tummy bug).  Which has made a big difference on the scales - this morning weighing in at 128 lbs.  I know this is no true reflection of my actual weight, but I'm hoping I can use this as motivation & the break from food as a turning point to improve my diet.  I'm pretty sure my current bad health is partly down to lack of fruit & veg.  Will do some measurements tomorrow morning, but preliminary ones seem to suggest some shrinkage :D

-- Facebook

I love your goals! I totally relate to being a person unable to get rid of stuff - it can't just go in the landfill! But then it clutters my apartment instead. 

Sounds like you're tuning into what you need! Congrats on deactivating Facebook! Sorry to hear you've been sick, though.

Also, curious, because you mentioned working in computerland - what's your chosen profession?

Airbending Druid~

------o| Current Challenge |o------

Previous challenges: 1 2 3 4

Congrats on deactivating Facebook! Social media can be a tough one.

I wholeheartedly agree that getting your life/home in order can make it easier to work on your health and fitness. That's my goal for the first half of the year as well.

Thanks WWACH :) When I can, I'll be stopping by to cheer you on too :)  I've heard all the thousands of "things I need to do" being around you constantly causes a "psychic weight" (it was described as, but I guess "emotional/mental burden" would be just as good).  Yay for tranquility and being on top of things!

I love your goals! I totally relate to being a person unable to get rid of stuff - it can't just go in the landfill! But then it clutters my apartment instead. 

Sounds like you're tuning into what you need! Congrats on deactivating Facebook! Sorry to hear you've been sick, though.

Also, curious, because you mentioned working in computerland - what's your chosen profession?

Hi Elk & thanks :)  I envy those people who can just chuck things in the bin.  But it seems so wasteful and environmentally unfriendly.  I think the last one is the biggest issue for me.

I used to be a software developer (mainly Java but I did a year or so of iOS too), but now I manage developers instead, which I greatly prefer & am better at.  I like to fight on their behalf, no late nights dammit!   :D  Edit: forgot to ask, what's your profession then?  Always good to see fellow computery people on here!

-- Facebook

First day of baby being at childcare all day.  Was productive for about 6 of those hours.  I can't wait to post "after" photos of my kitchen.  

I seriously underestimated how long it would take to clean it though.  Restrospective-wise, this was because:

- there was ancient dried food stuck in impossible-to-reach bits of the shelves in the fridge & freezer that I had not anticipated.  I realised I had to deal with this too when I noticed yellow drips plopping onto the draining board

- the sink does not have a plug & my washing up bowl was too small to accommodate the large shelves/drawers etc.  Action: consider buying a plug

- I wanted everything to be *perfectly* clean.  In the end, for some things, I had to settle for "as good as it gets" clean.

I'm mostly done with the kitchen.  I even got my new microfibre radiator duster and swept it under the freezer, which scooped up a lot of dust, and also a dessicated garlic clove.

Unfortunately my body thinks I am now on "holiday" and has decided I am going to get a cold.  :(  This often happens when I stop work and go on holiday.  I guess not looking after baby for a few hours & doing a mega kitchen deep-clean counts as holiday!

-- Facebook

Thanks WWACH :) When I can, I'll be stopping by to cheer you on too :)  I've heard all the thousands of "things I need to do" being around you constantly causes a "psychic weight" (it was described as, but I guess "emotional/mental burden" would be just as good).  Yay for tranquility and being on top of things!

Hi Elk & thanks :)  I envy those people who can just chuck things in the bin.  But it seems so wasteful and environmentally unfriendly.  I think the last one is the biggest issue for me.

I used to be a software developer (mainly Java but I did a year or so of iOS too), but now I manage developers instead, which I greatly prefer & am better at.  I like to fight on their behalf, no late nights dammit!   :D  Edit: forgot to ask, what's your profession then?  Always good to see fellow computery people on here!

Same here - I don't want that stuff going in the landfill!

Dang, that's cool. Lots of respect for championing the rights of developers! 

I work at a company that does online marketing for charities. Lots of Wordpress and sending out emails, and occasional minor styling edits. I'd like to get more deeply into development, though!

Props to you for deep-cleaning the kitchen! Too bad your body assumed this was a holiday, though. It's pretty interesting that the human body can postpone getting sick until you're in a position to rest, but... it's also kind of lame when it happens once you've finally got some spare time!

Airbending Druid~

------o| Current Challenge |o------

Previous challenges: 1 2 3 4

Same here - I don't want that stuff going in the landfill!

Dang, that's cool. Lots of respect for championing the rights of developers! 

I work at a company that does online marketing for charities. Lots of Wordpress and sending out emails, and occasional minor styling edits. I'd like to get more deeply into development, though!

Props to you for deep-cleaning the kitchen! Too bad your body assumed this was a holiday, though. It's pretty interesting that the human body can postpone getting sick until you're in a position to rest, but... it's also kind of lame when it happens once you've finally got some spare time!

wordpress extensions scares me hehe ;)  my company is an advertising agency so I guess we're in sort of the same field... although I prefer yours from an ethical point of view!

I don't know how bodies know that "hey this is the first day of my holiday, time to get sick" - but it's freaky and annoying at the same time!  so many holidays wasted through being ill!  I'm trying to work extra hard to convince my body this isn't a holiday after all :D

-- Facebook

So... day 2 of intense house cleaning and my deep clean of the kitchen is nearly complete.  I am very happy with it, and - like the bit of the lounge that I've completed - I feel so much more relaxed and happy around the area now.

I can now check the following off the "kitchen" section of last month's challenge:

Kitchen

• clean inside fridge
  • clean inside freezer
  • clean inside repaired cupboard
  • wash all items that had been in repaired cupboard
  • declutter and tidy counter tops
  • consider a staging area for recycling and incoming mail/mid-processing mail

I did a lot more than that, including spending at least an hour scraping/wiping grease splatters that were everywhere, even on the walls!  And scrubbing places that people don't see, and running the duster over the tops of cupboards, fridge etc.  I'm not into feng shui but I like the idea of increasing the flow of energy throughout the house and getting rid of the staleness.  I'm sure your subconscious clocks up whether it's a clean or dirty area you're in, based on tiny things you don't even notice.

Still left under last month's kitchen to-do:

• rearrange kitchen organisation with extra cupboard to help
  • organise kitchen cupboards and drawers, buying organisers (that fit - measure first!) where necessary
  • research baby proofing items (for kitchen & for stairs)
  • order baby proofing items (for kitchen & for stairs)

However I will defer these for now.

This evening, my 14-month old walked over to drawer containing baby food, opened it, pulled out a ready meal & handed it to me.  Turns out he was very hungry!  I was impressed that he knew exactly what he wanted though :D

-- Facebook

Just psyching myself up to get on with day #3 of Operation Clean House.

Good news - I weigh 130 lbs.  The last time I weighed this was Nov 2013.  While I have only lost 6.5 lbs since last September, I think most of them have come off this new year, 2016, by virtue of being very busy!

Only a few more lbs to lose before I start reaching my ideal weight - then it will be a case of toning up (massively)!

This week I have been carrying baby out & about in his sling, so that's at least 45 mins of walking with an extra 20 lbs each day.

-- Facebook

Another productive day, I estimate my utilisation rate at at least 80% :)  The lounge & corner of the 'mirrored room' are now almost done!  

Plus, I tackled a Lvl 50 area - behind the radiator in the bathroom.  There was a grill over the top which made accessing it extremely difficult.  However, I could get my microfibre radiator duster up the bottom and then I improvised using a microfibre cloth and screwdriver to painstakingly clean the top.  The dust - OMG.  When I looked through the grill, it made a horror movie set in an abandoned attic look clean.  Anyway I was very grateful also to my new vacuum cleaner for making short work of the stuff spilling out onto the floor.

I don't think I have a cold after all - I think I have a permanent nose stuffiness due to TOO MUCH DAMN DUST again floating about the house, so I must make renewed efforts to reduce this amount drastically as it is making me feel physically ill all the time.

On a good note, I felt so relaxed downstairs this evening that I could focus on baby and enjoy the moment without having a zillion "gotta do this tonight" plans forming in my head constantly.  The peace of mind from living in a clean and tidy house!!

-- Facebook

The clean kitchen looks amazing!  It's just like the Property Brothers, lol.  It's easy for a tiny family kitchen to get cluttered, and you did a great job.

I hate cleaning, so by the time I get around to it, it does take hours.  I always promise myself to do daily wipe ups, but naaaaaaaaaaaaah, I never do :)

Great job!  Keep up the momentum!

• Like 1

The clean kitchen looks amazing!  It's just like the Property Brothers, lol.  It's easy for a tiny family kitchen to get cluttered, and you did a great job.

I hate cleaning, so by the time I get around to it, it does take hours.  I always promise myself to do daily wipe ups, but naaaaaaaaaaaaah, I never do :)

Great job!  Keep up the momentum!

Heh, thanks! :)  I've traditionally saved cleaning "for the weekend" but in practice that's not worked great for me.  Soo many weekends where instead of going out, I've thought, "I'll stay in and tidy up" and guess how much progress I made ;) Am gonna see how I get on with this "little and often" thing, once I've finishing whipping the house into order.

~~~

I've been ill for the last few days (it was a cold after all, followed by a stomach bug AGAIN) so I've lost my ship-steaming-forward momentum, but I have just about managed to keep things tidyish and ok, so hopefully it won't take a great deal to resume.

On a positive note, before the tummy bug kicked in, I found my weight was at 128 lbs (it's currently 126 lbs but that's misleading).  Am liking the downward trajectory :)

Will catch up with everyone properly once I've got over being ill!

• Like 1

-- Facebook

Well my cold of 2 weeks is almost gone (baby has picked up another on Friday so I'm waiting to see if I catch that, too), I suspect I need to up my vitamin take in a future challenge to prevent being laid low for the rest of the year.

I also realised I had committed a schoolboy/schoolgirl error of setting future goals for this challenge while actually working on completing last month's challenge instead.  I should have just focused on completing last month's challenge instead.  I guess my decluttering plan for the rest of the challenge is to try to finish sorting all the rooms bar the spare bedroom (which is full of crap & pretty inaccessible at the moment).  And I should probably shift this month's decluttering goal to next..!

I have been absolutely exhausted for the last week, I fell asleep at my desk at work on my 2nd day back and keep passing out all over the place at home.  So I haven't been able to do any decluttering work this week, which is pretty annoying, but I don't want to prolong this illness!

Catch y'all later.

-- Facebook

Took a rare evening "off" today (still worked for several hours during the day, but mostly on routine housework) watching The Voice and then spending half an hour singing Christina Aguilera in the bathroom.

My gut instinct (which I am trying to help flourish these days) is telling me that I want to shake off the shackles of terrible nerves I feel whenever I sing/play music in front of everyone, and that I'd really love to enter a competition like that myself.

So that was my excitement for the evening :)  I think I may try to find a hypnotherapist or someone who can help me with performance anxiety, which has plagued me ever since I was a teenager (and totally SUCKS).

-- Facebook

Well yesterday I was recovering from my 3rd stomach bug in as many weeks.  I have been more sick (like, literally) in the last 20-odd days than in the last 10 years, and that includes pregnancies & getting rat-arsed once in a blue moon (do you have that word in the US?  I mean drunk :) )

I'm sure I picked up the same bug while I was either: cleaning my toilet/cleaning the plughole of the sink/cleaning poo out of the baby's clothes.

All of these are very high-stress tasks for me due to my OCD, so becoming ill shortly after tackling them isn't helpful! (and I was even wearing medical-grade gloves!)

Tonight I managed to clear out a few things from the kitchen.  I'm not into the beliefs that underlie it but I like the idea of chi in feng shui and the flow of energy through the house, so I was having a go at some stagnant areas.  I'd like my cupboards to be active throughout!  Things that have been removed (and either thrown or earmarked for donation) :

image%2011_zps4g0z3sco.jpg

-- Facebook