Self Improvement/Motivational Books

Okay, so let's be frank here: We LOVE motivation. That's probably why most of us joined this site. Well, I didn't really see anything that dealt with reading good motivational books so I figured I'd create a thread about it. I'm an avid reader of motivational/self improvement books and I can safely say that it is the reason my confidence has sky rocketed in recent years. (Well... applying what I learned from them is the real reason but you get my drift.)  It can be tough choosing a good motivational book too. After all, how hard is it to say a few encouraging words, publish a book and collect the money the people who buy into it? Well I've read several and there are a few that I believe much can be gained from. Provided you put something into it of course! Anyways, here is a list of self improvement/motivational books I would HIGHLY recommend:

1. Level Up Your Life by Steve Kamb - I'm not at all being a kiss up by putting this at number one. This book really inspired me to embrace my inner nerd and take charge of my life. If any of you have yet to read this, it is an absolute must! Ever since I finished reading this book my life has been leveling up slowly but noticeably!

2. Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey - This book is PERFECT for ANYONE who is having MONEY TROUBLE. It goes into great detail about myths regarding the credit industry, the proper way to handle money (if you want to have it), how to get rid of debt, and it gives advice on investing for retirement, kids college, and all sorts of other must know things in regards to personal finance. This is the book that helped me go from being a broke $14,000 in debt student drop out to a more financially stable (and debt free!!!!!)  adventurer looking for the next challenge because money is no longer a MAJOR concern.

3. How to Soar Like and Eagle in a World Full of Turkeys by Robert Stevenson - Tired of putting up with all the nonsensical behaviors of your fellow humans? You feel like you're assimilating into their culture of self destruction. Well after reading this book you'll decide that is NOT the way to go! This book helps illustrate the things that self sufficient, diligent, caring, and wise people (The Eagles) do that makes them more successful and happier than the lazy, self absorbed, helpless and ignorant people (The Turkeys). Definitely a feel good book and definitely worth a read!

4. How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie - Ok, you had to have known I was going to put this on the list. It is required reading for ANYONE who wants to learn how to socialize properly and get along with others in the working world. It's lessons were published in 1936 and they STILL APPLY TO TODAY! Having trouble making friends? Want to get along with your boss? Want to get your employees to actually work? Want to get people to like you? Then this is definitely worth the read!

Honestly, I could keep going here but I don't want to get a tl;dr thing going on. I'd be interested in hearing anyone's opinions on these or any other books! I can safely say that those four books really stood out to me and helped me the most but I'd like to hear about some books that have maybe helped you all out! Or maybe some testimonies for anyone else who has read those books too? The sky is the limit!

• Like 1

I'm training to be (like) Batman physically, mentally, and financially.

Go For No by Andrea Waltz - Reframed how I look at failure and how often rejection/failure is on the way to success.

I'm currently reading Level Up Your Life right now and have a huge list of other books to finish up.

"Live Deliciously"

"Leave everything better than you found it."

"When your why has heart, your how has legs."

NF Character

GoodReads 

Get Off Your "But" by Sean Stephenson

90% Complete

The Willpower Instinct - Kelly McGonigal

Seriously a phenomenal look at how willpower works and how you can work with how our self control is hardwired to get what you want in life. The book is actually structured after a class she teaches and each chapter is intended to be worked individually based on your goal before moving on to the next. 

• Like 3

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Respawn. | #1 | Current Challenge.

I second The Willpower Instinct. There's just so much insight in there as to how willpower and motivation work. If you want to stay motivated, I can't think of a better book.

Another book I'd throw out is The Charisma Myth by Olivia Fox Cabane. Most of the book's advice for being more Charismatic is about putting you in the right state of mind to be Charismatic, and that is a very motivated state of mind to be in.

• Like 1

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg. 

It is recommended by Steve in LUYL. I am almost done. It is about how most of what we do is powered by habit (at least 40%) and to tackle positive changes in our lives we have to develop those changes into habits. The book describes HOW we go about developing habits, in life, business, and society in ways that each of those second two categories also applies to our individual lives. 

If you read it you will discover that Steve actually developed these forums and the challenges in a way to help us develop long-term habits and "level up our lives", based upon exactly how habit formation is described in this book.

Habit trumps willpower. 

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

Alright, now this is my kinda subject. I started reading self help style books about 10 years ago because despite having a good education I was far to shy to get anywhere in the workforce. The books helped me put my self out there and take some chances. There is some really crappy advice out there (The Secret??!!? Just sit around and wish hard enough, yeah right) but I've read many that have changed my whole perspective.

These days I manage a team of 12 people and have just graduated from law school which I did whilst working full time.

I recently discovered https://sivers.org/book which is a gold mine of quality book recommendations. If you don't know who Derek Sivers in then check out his interview on Tim Ferris's podcast or his minimalist designed website.

ANTIFRAGILE, Taleb

I most recently tried to read Antifragile by Nassem Taleb from Steve's recommendation. I love the Antifragile concept but I found the book impossible to read. Maybe law school has made me critical of poor argument, but I found it lacked any structure and read like a loose collection of random thoughts and notes from the guys desk that he just threw together. I also don't have time for authors who claim that unnamed big organisations hate his viewpoint or won't accept it, in this case all academics, big business, risk assessors among others. If you want to convince me of the logic of your point then back it up with explanation not conspiracy.

As I said I still like the premise which you could boil down to "pressure makes diamonds" or "what doesn't bend, breaks" etc.

I'm just starting Born For This by Chris Guillebeau (another Steve recommendation) I'm facing a restructure at work this year which may make me redundant and I've just been admitted as a lawyer, so this one sounds like something I need right now.

What are people's favourite career advice books?

Is there a book that you have read more than once or twice and keep coming back to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD which may explain a lot

Level 10 - Ironborn sellsword        Weight loss goal: 90kg --> 70kg      Endurance goal: non-stop 5km       Power goal: 10 full form pushups

Find me: My Fitness Pal | Fitbit | Feb 16 challenge

"I don't want to have a dozen sons. I want to have adventures" ~ Asha Greyjoy

Currently reading The Art of Non-Conformity by Chris Guillebeau.

It goes through life's common assumptions, how we often fall into society's expectation of what we should do and how we should live our lives and offers arguments about taking on a more personal road. Nothing mind shattering yet worth reading.

This is actually my second read. I got it several  month ago and picked it up again for another look. It's very unpretentious with a friendly, no nonsense tone. I read Mr. Guillebeau's blog as well occasionally and just like his style.

• Like 1

- Level 1 - Water-bending Elf - Aspiring Druid Adventurer -

STR 1/ DEX 3/ STA 1/ CON 1/ WIS 4/ CHA 1

Spoiler

NFA4 - EQ1 - My Character - My Nerd Thing: A Walk Around The World

Current: #3QiGong & Back to Basics; #3Mini(Assassins); #3Mini(Adventurers)

Previous 2016: PVP:Walk of Life(Mar-Apr16) - #1(Apr/Rebel) - #2(May/Druid) -

"We're all stories in the end. Just make it a good one." -- Doctor Who, the 11th

In the interest of full disclosure I should probably say that I publish these kind of books for a living. That said my personal fave (besides level up your life, which I agree is brilliant) is The Idea In You by Martin Amor and Alex Pellew. The authors spent years helping massive corporations launch new businesses and products, and in the book they explain how to use the same principles to launch new things in your own life.  Very readable and funny.

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

The Slight Edge is a little known book that - for me anyways - was absolutely paradigm shifting. I also enjoy reading Stoicism, even though it's a bit faddy these days - A Guide to the Good Life is what's on my bedside table right now, and it is a very practical intro to the practice of stoicism. 

On 22/07/2016 at 1:56 PM, mochac said:

I also enjoy reading Stoicism, even though it's a bit faddy these days - A Guide to the Good Life is what's on my bedside table right now, and it is a very practical intro to the practice of stoicism. 

Ryan Holliday's latest book was all around Stoicism. I forget the title but it's worth a look, I liked his earlier stuff.

Level 2 Warlock

Battle Log | First Challenge | Current Challenge

You're It! by Alan Watts. Exists only as an audio book, but it's probably the best thing ever happend to me. It's a collection of recordings of some of his gigs. It's about finding your true self.

Antifragile by Nassim Taleb. Two major ideas: First, complex systems gain from randomness. He talks mostly about business, but it's easily applicable to other areas. Second, ideas, technologies and concepts are better, the longer they exist. So, e.g. modern dietary plans have to fail, as they are not tested by time.

The Happiness Hypothesis by Jonathan Haidt. What it says on the tin. Explains the psychological reason why things make us happy.

The Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman. A (semi-)biographic novel about Dan Millman's journey to find spirituality and serenity.

Mastery by Robert Greene. Again, what it says on the tin. How to become a master at what you do. With many examples from history.

Level Up Your Life by Steve Kambs. Obviously.

Why Zebras don't get Ulcers by Robert Sapolsky. A rather technical compilation of how (modern) stress makes us sick. Sapolsky explains how stress affects diabetes, cancer, immunological diseases and more.

Currently I'm reading Primal Endurance by Mark Sisson. The next book I will read will be Ego Is The Enemy by Ryan Holiday.

The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way.

Instagram food log

I really enjoyed Year of Yes: How to Dance it Out, Stand in the Sun, and Be Your Own Person by Shonda Rhimes. It's more a book about her personal journey than anything else, but I found it extremely motivational. The writing is Shonda's kind of unique style which some people like and some don't. I could almost hear episodes of Grey's Anatomy in her writing. Highly recommend, especially for fans of Shondaland. 

Currently reading "How to Have a Good Day: Think Bigger, Work Smarter and Transform Your Working Life" - by Caroline Webb.

" based on behavioral research which is then coalesced into concrete advice and approaches that can be applied to real life situations"

Explains in a straightforward manner how certain things in your brain work and what to do with being aware of that. Very useful. Bought it after listening to a podcast where she touched on the topics dealt with in the book. http://www.artofmanliness.com/2016/06/30/podcast-214-how-to-have-a-good-day-every-day/

---------------------------------

'nother one "How to Talk to Anyone" by Leil Lowndes. As my verbal and non-verbal communication skills suck I found a lot of practical advise in that one.

---------------------------------------------------

Both books prolly well known and on reader digest lists and whatnot, but well worth a look nonetheless :)

Remember that sensory deprivation causes hallucinations

On 4/25/2016 at 0:01 AM, Zahirah said:

Daring Greatly, by Brene Brown.  Blew my mind, and started crying on the airplane.  And it's changed my life for the better.

Love love love Brene Brown! That book is a tough read, emotionally, I'm only about half way through because some sections I need a month of recovery after reading! Highly recommended. 

Also, for the maybe semi-anti-self-help person (might be posting this in the wrong topic? haha) Mark Manson wrote The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F***. This book is fantastic (if you can stomach the profanity). Very readable, funny, and counter intuitive. He is by far my favorite blogger, and if you haven't read any of his stuff I'd recommend:

He doesn't cater to your ego, is brutally honest, and forces you to be brutally honest with yourself. 

• Like 1

Level 3 Human | Apocalypse Survivor

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3

Challenge Spreadsheet | Meal Plan Spreadsheet | Workout Spreadsheet

On 11/2/2016 at 1:02 PM, Sandavia said:

Love love love Brene Brown! That book is a tough read, emotionally, I'm only about half way through because some sections I need a month of recovery after reading! Highly recommended. 

Also, for the maybe semi-anti-self-help person (might be posting this in the wrong topic? haha) Mark Manson wrote The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F***. This book is fantastic (if you can stomach the profanity). Very readable, funny, and counter intuitive. He is by far my favorite blogger, and if you haven't read any of his stuff I'd recommend:

He doesn't cater to your ego, is brutally honest, and forces you to be brutally honest with yourself. 

Thanks a lot for completely killing my productivity this morning with this recommendation! I just read Your Goals are Overrated and now I've fallen into a rabbit hole of wanting to read every damn thing on his site. Great stuff!

• Like 1

It may not be considered "self-help," but Born to Run motivated me to think deeply about how I was moving (specifically, running) and affirmed what I think I knew all along: barefoot is better. :-)

• Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

I just finished "Mindset" by Carol Dweck.  This could be the most important book ever written.  It lays the foundation for improving almost literally your entire life.  Identifying the fixed mindset and implementing the growth mindset is arguably the most transformative thing a person could do.  It's wild!  

I got an Amazon gift card for Christmas, so I pre-ordered What Doesn't Kill Us by Scott Carney, Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss, and (of course) Level Up Your Life by Steve Kamb. I'm expecting more money next month, so my plan is to order some other books. Not sure what yet. Maybe some of the suggestions above. :-)

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Enters Spartan Training

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBornWolfDreamer Wakes the White WolfThe Mad Poet Recovers by Keeping it SimpleWolfDreamer Clears His Mind to Find His Wild HeartWolfDreamer ResetsWolfDreamer Strives to Become an Eminently Qualified Peaceful WarriorWolfDreamer Springs ForwardWolfDreamer Returns (For Real This Time)WolfDreamer is RespaWinningWolfDreamer RebootsWolfDreamer Thinks About the Roman Empire

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

On 8/20/2016 at 5:40 AM, Akura said:

The Happiness Hypothesis by Jonathan Haidt. What it says on the tin. Explains the psychological reason why things make us happy.

If you are into this kind of reading I'd also suggest If You're So Smart Why Aren't You Happy? by Raj Raghunathan. He delves into some really interesting concepts and divides them up into 7 Happiness Sins and 7 Happiness Habits.

Just a little blurb of one of his sin-habit combinations is when he is talking about how many of us fall victim to chasing happiness through an immeasurable yardstick(i.e. Trying to justify being famous by having the most twitter followers but not having the most Facebook likes). Instead of trying to always become the best at something it's best to instead pursue the 3 qualifications that lead to a flow state.

Ended up completely changing my views on life.

• Like 1

Challenge Logs:

Current Challenge | Fitocracy Profile | Photo Journal

Crab Stats:

Level 27 Ranger | Level 35 Fitocract | Level 100 Awesome