Waanie

Thank you for your advice :). I feel like I can't think as well when I'm not fit, and this week tells me why it is a bad idea to ignore vegetables/fruits/other fibry stuff. I'm eating terribly at the moment, and my gut bacteria are letting me know that they are hungry for fiber ;).

In general travelling is going well, although it's very exhausting and I work more than is sustainable for me. I expected it on beforehand, but all in all it's a useful trip. A few of the guys here even invited me to go climbing with them tonight, which is absolutely great :D. Otherwise I've been walking a lot, I think anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hours per day. It's not as nice as cycling, but you can't have everything when travelling :tongue:.

I hope I didn't sound preachy as that wasn't the intention...more that you have a lot of company in your feelings. :)

Hopefully you have a great time climbing! To me, it is always a sort of "bonus" if I'm able to get climbing in while I'm traveling. The logistics just seem to be a lot if I'm going to a strange place and don't know anyone.

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

(in this reply, a hyperactive taoist rants....you've been warned!)

THIS, so much.  When our bodies degrade, our minds follow, and it's foolish to have ever assumed that it would work any other way.  Our mind is powered by the same amazing machine that builds our muscles and bones, powering us off through the day to go off and do whatever.  Is it any wonder that when we are too drunk to balance our bodies that we might ALSO make some pretty foolish decisions?  Of course it isn't, but it seems that many people simply assume that there is little correlation between old-age taking both our physical health and often our memories.  If you really sit back and think about it for a second, this is such an obvious conclusion to come to that it's amazing that it isn't emphasized constantly regarding how we're "feeling" or "thinking."  We are what we eat, so the saying goes, but that applies to our thoughts as well as our bodies.

I KNOW I can't think as well when I'm not feeling well.  This should be a constant reminder that the wheel of unhappiness is as tied to health as it is to our situations outside of our bodies.

......./rant

Also, good going Waanie.  Muscular ladies have the same struggles that muscular guys do.  If I get jeans that fit my thighs, they're too big for my waist. :D

I totally agree with your rant ;). Most people only realize it when they are not feeling very well, but mental health and physical health are strongly intertwined. It's why I started bodyweight strength training two years ago in the first place, and I never really stopped training strength through either climbing or strength training afterwards.

And yeah, those jeans are just impossible. I've already heard that this season, my favourite jeans shop won't have any jeans that fit me. Also, my current jeans are getting too small around the legs as well :(.

I hope I didn't sound preachy as that wasn't the intention...more that you have a lot of company in your feelings. :)

Hopefully you have a great time climbing! To me, it is always a sort of "bonus" if I'm able to get climbing in while I'm traveling. The logistics just seem to be a lot if I'm going to a strange place and don't know anyone.

You did not come off "preachy" at all, at least not in my eyes. I think a lot of us struggle with the same problems, both physically and mentally. It makes sense to help each other out :).

The climbing was okay. The climbing centre was quite cold and the routes very un-elegant, in the sense that you had to stay with your nose to the wall and keeping your centre of mass out to get some grip on the wall. Maybe elegance is too much emphasized at my climbing centre, but I felt really clumsy when I was trying to smear myself up. I prefer turning in myself ;). Of course, it is still nice that I could climb and to climb with some people I don't know very well. They are a little far away to climb with regularly, but who knows if we'll climb together again in the future.

Otherwise, I'm very tired and not doing very well on my goals for this week. I'm absolutely shattered and cold, which is quite normal for me after travelling. I missed meditation for 3 days this week already and stretching for 2, it's just so hard for me to make private things happen when staying somewhere with my colleagues. It was a useful week, but I'm glad to be home again :).

• Like 2

The climbing was okay. The climbing centre was quite cold and the routes very un-elegant, in the sense that you had to stay with your nose to the wall and keeping your centre of mass out to get some grip on the wall. Maybe elegance is too much emphasized at my climbing centre, but I felt really clumsy when I was trying to smear myself up. I prefer turning in myself ;). Of course, it is still nice that I could climb and to climb with some people I don't know very well. They are a little far away to climb with regularly, but who knows if we'll climb together again in the future.

Otherwise, I'm very tired and not doing very well on my goals for this week. I'm absolutely shattered and cold, which is quite normal for me after travelling. I missed meditation for 3 days this week already and stretching for 2, it's just so hard for me to make private things happen when staying somewhere with my colleagues. It was a useful week, but I'm glad to be home again :).

Being home again is one of the best parts of traveling! Hopefully, recovery comes quickly for you!

I know what you mean about the elegant vs. inelegant routes. There were many fun, tricky, mentally engaging routes at our last gym but the one we go to now has mostly just straightforward stuff with smaller holds to make it harder. They are both good training but the more technique-heavy routes are what I prefer.

• Like 1

tinkerer

I know what you mean about the elegant vs. inelegant routes. There were many fun, tricky, mentally engaging routes at our last gym but the one we go to now has mostly just straightforward stuff with smaller holds to make it harder. They are both good training but the more technique-heavy routes are what I prefer.

This is exactly what I was trying to say :). The technique-heavy routes are much more satisfying when you manage them, since it's not mostly about strength, but about keeping your equilibrium while trying to reach for the next hold (of course strength makes things lots easier as well).

Week 3, day 1 workout:

Bench press @32.5 kg: 5/5/7

Chin ups:                       3/3/2

Squats @42.5 kg:          5/5/6

Pikes with medicine ball until exhausted 

I did make my goals of 32.5kg bench press and 42.5kg squat for 3 sets of at least 5, but I felt that my form was shaky this time. I will look up some more form cues before next week, to make sure I won't hurt myself.

As for why the chin up numbers are quite low, I think that's because I gained too much weight. I gained 2kg in the past week during travel, and I'm now ~5kg heavier than I was on my lightest last autumn. This is getting too much, so I want to lose some weight in the next few months. I'm planning to eat around 2000kcal/day, which is a 300-400kcal deficit. This can all be done by replacing chocolate/cookies by carrots/rice wafers/banana, so I fortunately won't have to diet very hard. My goal is to get under 60kg again, and then try to keep the amount of chocolate reasonable afterwards ;).

• Like 2

Nice job on the Week 1 Summary...100% "Done!"s. Knowing you, I'm betting you are frustrated about Week 2 but really you still managed a lot considering you were in a completely abnormal environment. It seems like you're already off to a strong start for Week 3!

As for why the chin up numbers are quite low, I think that's because I gained too much weight. I gained 2kg in the past week during travel, and I'm now ~5kg heavier than I was on my lightest last autumn. This is getting too much, so I want to lose some weight in the next few months. I'm planning to eat around 2000kcal/day, which is a 300-400kcal deficit. This can all be done by replacing chocolate/cookies by carrots/rice wafers/banana, so I fortunately won't have to diet very hard. My goal is to get under 60kg again, and then try to keep the amount of chocolate reasonable afterwards ;).

This seems like a solid plan without overreacting.

• Like 1

tinkerer

Nice job on the Week 1 Summary...100% "Done!"s. Knowing you, I'm betting you are frustrated about Week 2 but really you still managed a lot considering you were in a completely abnormal environment. It seems like you're already off to a strong start for Week 3!

I'm now at the point that I can accept that traveling is hard for me, so anything I do is already better than doing nothing. I knew on beforehand that my goals for the second week were optimistic, finding 10 minutes of rest on my own can be quite hard, I think. Week 3 is still on track though :).

Yesterday's climbing was horrible. My leg cramped after cycling, and did not really recover during climbing. Cycling back was one of the most uncomfortable rides I've made in recent history. Does anyone know if it's possible to get those cramps from cutting my sugar intake? If I look at old logging entries, I think I've cut sugar from over 150g to ~50g per day. My saddle is also in a slightly different position than before, since my boyfriend borrowed it Monday. I've read on the internet that that's also a possible source for cramps.

I did keep up the daily meditation, and even though I don't enjoy it yet, I do feel calmer afterwards. This week is listening meditation, and I was not aware before that we have so many kinds of birds flying around here ;).

• Like 1

Today's strength training felt very heavy to me. In the end, I did make all my sets, but I'm wondering if I'll be able to keep up the linear progression for a long period when actively trying to lose weight. I felt lethargic and hungry all morning, even though I ended up eating 6 slices of bread and 4 rice crackers during the morning/lunch.

Overhead press      2x5x10kg, 5x15kg, 2x5x22.5kg 6x22.5kg

Horizontal row         5x20kg, 5x25kg, 5x30kg, 3x5x35kg

Deadlift                     5x30kg, 5x40kg, 3x50kg, 3x60kg, 5x65kg

Hanging leg raises  6/6

All in all, I hope it's just my period and the calorie deficit, and I hope my reps will come more easily next time ;).

One of the main things I noticed when counting calories is that my dinner is usually around 1000kcal, and that it's easy to eat even more then. Next week I'll plan my meals a little more carefully, so that I can eat more during the day. I also need to think of low-calorie snacks other than rice wafers and carrots, I've had enough of those for now ;).

• Like 2

Today's workout:

Bench press: 2x5x35kg + 6x35kg (+2.5kg from last time)

Chin ups: 3/3/3 (+0/0/1)

Squats: 2x5x45kg + 7x45kg (+2.5kg)

Some pikes on a medicine ball.

All in all I was surprised at myself that I actually finished everything, but I did hit my 2x5 + 5+ on both the bench press and squat. For the squat, I might switch to unilateral work such as dumbbell lunges, since my last rep I was pushing up more with my right leg than my left leg. I'm not sure yet, since I do like squats, they make me feel strong :).

My posterior deltoid is still unhappy from yesterday's lead climbing, which is good :). My posture seems to be more upright after lead/overhang climbing than before, it would be cool if my rounded shoulders just fix themselves ;).

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Waanie said:

My posterior deltoid is still unhappy from yesterday's lead climbing, which is good :). My posture seems to be more upright after lead/overhang climbing than before, it would be cool if my rounded shoulders just fix themselves ;).

If you discover an accidental cure for poor posture, please share it with me!

On 3/17/2016 at 11:48 PM, Waanie said:

I did keep up the daily meditation, and even though I don't enjoy it yet, I do feel calmer afterwards. This week is listening meditation, and I was not aware before that we have so many kinds of birds flying around here ;).

I'm kind of sad that you aren't enjoying this. I was hoping that your rave reviews would motivate me to try something similar. I do like the mental image of listening and discovering there are a lot more things happening around you than you realize (birds for example).

• Like 1

tinkerer

Long time!

In a calorie deficit, I'd expect any strength gains to start to slow down, if not stop. No big deal. Just try to maintain until you're ready to throw some more calories at the sitch. And definitely hold back from going to failure. The squats don't sound to worrisome since your dominant side (I guess) took over for the last rep. Maybe take some thigh measurements to see if there is a size difference.

Although, lunges are pretty great. Work the grip. Always worked the heck out of my glutes. And you can work different planes by lunging diagonally or laterally.

• Like 1

Werewolf Druid | Lvl 2

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Character Sheet (work in progress)

My Current Challenge

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

It's time to toss the dice.

On 3/21/2016 at 7:50 PM, tinkerer said:

I'm trying to dig out of my pile of unread posts and now see that you are doing awesome over here! I'm glad that lead climbing is still fun and that your starting to feel energetic and enjoying it again!

Unfortunately, I'm not feeling energetic anymore :(. I don't know exactly what's causing me stress, but I've been having tons of minor panic attacks over the last couple of days... Hopefully it'll get better after the (long) weekend.

On 3/22/2016 at 3:44 AM, tinkerer said:

If you discover an accidental cure for poor posture, please share it with me!

I'm kind of sad that you aren't enjoying this. I was hoping that your rave reviews would motivate me to try something similar. I do like the mental image of listening and discovering there are a lot more things happening around you than you realize (birds for example).

Training my upper back and posterior deltoids seem to work somewhat, especially when combined with shoulder dislocates. Do you incorporate horizontal pulling in your workout plan? Those seem to be essential. There are tons of posture plans on the internet, but I never manage to keep following one ;).

Most meditation-styles are neutral or okay to me, but the listening meditation I did not enjoy. This week's meditation is body- and breath focused again, which feels good to me ;).

On 3/23/2016 at 4:21 PM, Rihor said:

Long time!

In a calorie deficit, I'd expect any strength gains to start to slow down, if not stop. No big deal. Just try to maintain until you're ready to throw some more calories at the sitch. And definitely hold back from going to failure. The squats don't sound to worrisome since your dominant side (I guess) took over for the last rep. Maybe take some thigh measurements to see if there is a size difference.

Although, lunges are pretty great. Work the grip. Always worked the heck out of my glutes. And you can work different planes by lunging diagonally or laterally.

Long time no see indeed :). I'm not eating at a deficit anymore since I did more or less hit my goal weight, and I feel better when I'm eating normally. My mental health takes priority over losing the few pounds that I don't really HAVE to lose at the moment. Thanks for your advice nonetheless, it does explain why my workouts last week felt very heavy ;). The thigh measurements are a good idea, although I already know which side is dominant (my right side is WAY stronger in most things I do).

• Like 1

Over the past couple of days, my mental health deteriorated quite rapidly. I don't know why exactly, although there are some stressful events in the next few days that could make me feel down. Anyway, I decided to eat at maintenance again to feel better, and I have Good Friday and Easter Monday off. I did not invite my family at my place for my birthday, but I will go there instead. That means that I should do plenty of yoga tomorrow and plan my meditation carefully, but I won't have to clean my home, get enough food, etc. etc.

Yesterday I bought new climbing shoes, since there was a hole in the toe of my old ones. Climbing will be quite uncomfortable for the next month, but there's nothing to be done about that. At least my old shoes can be resoled, so I can wear them again next week ;).

On 3/24/2016 at 8:49 AM, Waanie said:

Over the past couple of days, my mental health deteriorated quite rapidly. I don't know why exactly, although there are some stressful events in the next few days that could make me feel down. Anyway, I decided to eat at maintenance again to feel better, and I have Good Friday and Easter Monday off. I did not invite my family at my place for my birthday, but I will go there instead. That means that I should do plenty of yoga tomorrow and plan my meditation carefully, but I won't have to clean my home, get enough food, etc. etc.

Yesterday I bought new climbing shoes, since there was a hole in the toe of my old ones. Climbing will be quite uncomfortable for the next month, but there's nothing to be done about that. At least my old shoes can be resoled, so I can wear them again next week ;).

I'm sorry to hear about your mental health shift! Hopefully the combination of maintenance eating, holiday, and family will help shift things back in the other direction. Avoiding all of the preparations necessary to have family visit also sounds like a great stress reliever!

On the plus side, once you have your new shoes broken in you'll have two pair of nearly-new shoes to choose from. What style of new shoes did you choose?

• Like 1

tinkerer

5 hours ago, tinkerer said:

I'm sorry to hear about your mental health shift! Hopefully the combination of maintenance eating, holiday, and family will help shift things back in the other direction. Avoiding all of the preparations necessary to have family visit also sounds like a great stress reliever!

On the plus side, once you have your new shoes broken in you'll have two pair of nearly-new shoes to choose from. What style of new shoes did you choose?

My climbing centre sells only two kinds of shoes, I went for the "orange" ones, which look like this:

BLA.jpg

They are not very aggressive, but you still have to curl your foot for them to fit nicely and I can stand on small ridges with them.

My weight seems to be almost at 60kg again, which is what I was aiming for. I'd like to lose a little more, but I'm not going to really try hard. Just making a few lower-calorie choices here and there should do the trick :).

Yesterday I did manage to make all my sets (at least 3x5 of OHP@25kg, cable row@37.5kg, DL@67.5kg), but my form was getting sloppy towards the end. Next week I'll lift the same weights and hope for better form ;). Monday I won't be able to lift anyway, since the fitness centre is closed during Easter. I will substitute with bodyweight exercises at home (one legged squat, chin ups, push ups, core yoga). My muscles are getting more visible, which is always cool :).

• Like 1
On 3/26/2016 at 2:48 AM, Waanie said:

My climbing centre sells only two kinds of shoes, I went for the "orange" ones, which look like this:

They are not very aggressive, but you still have to curl your foot for them to fit nicely and I can stand on small ridges with them.

My weight seems to be almost at 60kg again, which is what I was aiming for. I'd like to lose a little more, but I'm not going to really try hard. Just making a few lower-calorie choices here and there should do the trick :).

As long as you are happy with the shoe, that is really the main thing. I view the super-technical shoes as overkill for the climbing I do - they just hurt my feet and don't make me into a super climber (sadly).

That was quick on getting your weight to where you want it! Hopefully you didn't have too far to go, as opposed to a quick dramatic change...and congrats on the improved muscle definition!

• Like 1

tinkerer