Harihead Doubles Down on the Death March

Harihead

I'm in the publishing biz. That means deadlines. When wrapping up a major (months long) project, I first get really busy days. Then I start working longer days. Then all I do is work basically 8 to 8, after a restless night's sleep that is consumed by fretting over how much I can get done the following day. 

Some of my peeps call this phase The Death March. It's the nature of the beast; you gotta hit the deadline. One of my fellow managers measures success in how few days her team actually has to do the Death March. (She's gotten it as low as 6.)

The problem, you can tell, is that fitness goes all wibbly during a death march. I get overtired and overeat, then I eat junk, and exercise goes out the window. I can plot my periodic weight spikes all last year against deadlines. 

No more! Thanks to my fellow Rebels, primarily Tanktimus the Encourager, Swampling, and Sloth the Slow and Steady, I have learned that I can get through 1 week of a Death March while doing a super clean diet and increasing exercise. No one was more surprised than I. I want more of this!

So, Harihead is going to punch the Death March right in the nose! This is a bane of my life; it happens 3 or 4 times a year. This challenge is going to be all about surviving a Death March without giving myself a health setback. (We'll worry over the fact that I have no life in some other challenge.)

Life Goal: 
Return to the weight and fitness I had when I worked from home, instead of someone else's office. 

3 Month Goal: 
Lose 15 pounds before I go to France this June. 

4 Week Challenge Goals:

Prove that I can cope with a Death March and lose weight at the same time. That's just crazy talk! But what are challenges for?

Exercise
Cardio = elevate heart rate at least 25 minutes 5x weekly. (This is another bump from last challenge, easy to track in MFP.)
A = >5/week, STA +3, STR +2
B = >4/week, STA +2, STR +1
C = >3/week, STA +1
F = fewer than this, take away 1 earned point!

Diet
Put all that diet prep from the last few months used to lower my cholesterol to good use. For this challenge, I'm going to focus on my 2 worst stress-handling fails: processed food and alcohol
- <=1 processed food/week
- <=2 drinks/week total
By processed, I mean anything that isn't a fruit, vegetable, or natural protein. That includes all breads and all junk foods (like paleo organic potato chips-- just, no).
A = 0 fails/week, CON +3, DEX +1
B = 2 fails/week, CON +2, DEX +1
C = 4 fails/week, CON +1, DEX +1
F = fewer than this, take away 1 earned point!

Refresh:
I am seriously tired. I need to make sleep and stress reduction a priority. Here are my coping methods:
- regular bedtime (tracked by my Jawbone UP)
- Tai Chi or meditation every single day 
A = 0 fails/week, CHA +3
B = 2 fails/week, CHA +2
C = 4 fails/week, CHA +1
F = fail to comply, take away 1 earned point!

Write My Way Out of a Paper Office:
With all the writing I'm doing at work, writing extra hours at home simply isn't healthy. I'm going to modify this challenge to do 1 supportive activity that will help me become independent/week (tracked on spreadsheet 181). We'll get back to writing in April. 
GOAL CHANGE week 1: Considering the recent meltdown at work, I am expanding this goal to include activities related to finding a new job. Therefore, to get out of this particular office, I'm going to permit job-seeking activities in addition to fiction-writing activities. The ideal is 2 of each per week, but I'm allowing myself some flexibility as events dictate. 
New challenge is called Renew:
A = 4/week WIS +3
B = 3/week WIS +2
C = 2/week WIS +1

I have a feeling I'll be investigating work/life balance in April. 
Happy March challenge, everyone!
  • Like 4

Level 9 Ranger

STR 13 | DEX 10 | STA 21 | CON 19 | WIS 20 | CHA 15

ChallengesCurrent 1 2 3 | 4 | 5 6 7 7.5 8 9 | 10 | 11 | 11.5 | 12  | 13 | 14  

Groups:  | Rangers Walk to Mordor

Nerd Fitness Academy level: 0 | Starting over

Eat clean, walk strong, age gracefully with joy. 

Okay, preparing for another "Death March" week. In keeping with that, I'll be tracking my weeks Sunday through Saturday. 

Sunday (today): Super clean diet, lots of water

Aerobics: (bike 11 miles) + yoga meditation

MFP projection = 1.5 pounds/week

Fiction: Updated Twitter & LI profiles, tweeted new story

Mon: Bodyweight workout, cholesterol test

Super clean diet, lots of water

Aerobics: walk + Tai Chi

MFP projection = 3 pounds/week

Fiction: sent out 8 stories to mags

Very upsetting day at work today due to a long-time jerk. Too upset to eat dinner. I cleaned out my desk. The director wants to talk to me tomorrow. I hate meltdowns. 

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

This is great! I'm in advertising and I have some of the same problems. Looking forward to seeing how you handle it.

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

This is great! I'm in advertising and I have some of the same problems. Looking forward to seeing how you handle it.

Thank you!

First, the good news. I passed my cholesterol test!

Congratulations! You dropped your LDL from 139 to 118. Continue to work on healthy diet and exercise to maintain.

I'm going to say the only factor here was diet, because my weight and exercise are about the same as they were 4 months ago. I'm tremendously relieved that the numbers are going in the right direction. I look forward to seeing the whole report so I can geek out on all the numbers. (the message above was from the doctor's email.)

The not-so-good news is that I had a meltdown at work. I work with a fair number of jerks, and the jerkiest of the jerks came out swinging at me yesterday because I reported to a coworker that his server wasn't working (it wasn't). He's the kind of person who is incompetent and likes to use bullying and misdirection to keep everyone else from seeing how incompetent he is. (A normal person would just reboot the server.)

Anyway, with all the OT I've been putting in, this RAGE just took me over and I can't shake it. I confided in one coworker, kept it to myself, but my intuitive boss saw the inflammatory email string this bozo had been bombarding me with, and called me to check in. I didn't have enough emotional reserves to handle her kind call, and started to really yell about this guy with shaking voice et all. Not my proudest moment. She said she'd take it to the director, and then _he_ called. I was still wound up and he got an earful. 

I never want to be a problem at work, I want to be a solution. Normally I can carry it off. But the long OT has worn me down, and this guy hurling unfounded accusations just took the cake. He's a VP in charge of my project, so I can't escape him. He's been a problem for a long time, but the blow-up yesterday helped crystalize a real problem I have with this company. I'm lonely

I'm the sole eLearning developer in this company of 5000+. My courses came out of nowhere to, within 3 years, providing 85% of the company's revenue from training. So all the classroom trainers hate me, because people would rather take my courses than theirs (and a couple have been let go). The engineering group hates me because they feel stupid in comparison (they are; this defensive bozo above is their chief). The developers just ignore me because we're understaffed and no one is allotted time to review or work on my courses.

I'm exceptionally good at my job so I can produce top-quality product with a minimum of input, but this constant fighting for the tiniest smidge of someone's time makes the job a drain. This is what I tactfully call "a conservative company" but really means a lot of sexism and marginalization of women. I can go toe-to-toe with most people; I'm clever and cheerful and they don't get a chance to dig in. But this pervasive company culture that continually undervalues my contribution really bothers me. 

Anyway, to cheer myself up I cleaned out my desk and took all my stuff home. I just have a bare cube there. I took home the computer and I'm going to make sure there's no personal info on there and copy over some samples I can use for interviewing. My boss is supportive, and who knows what the director is? He wants to "talk to" me this morning. Sigh. But even if he comes out in my corner, he's one man. The company culture is not supportive of what I do. If any of you have read "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People", one of the things Covey states (which I believe is true) is you can't change the culture. If they're crisis adrenalin junkies and you're not, you won't ever change them. 

I miss Bell Labs! That was the best job. I worked side-by-side with really smart developers as a true team, and we produced some neat products. The one I'm proudest of sparked an email campaign when the company tried to retire it, so they had to upgrade it to the new OS's. I have worked in good teams where I was respected and valued. This place... I'm not sure I want to give them my hard work any longer. I'm still very unsettled. Not sure what the day will bring.

Poor DJtrippyT is wondering what the heck he wandered into. Sorry, this is my first-ever Rebel rant! Here's what's interesting about it:

- I wasn't even tempted to eat. In fact, I haven't eaten dinner or breakfast since the kerfuffle. In this situation, food is not a comfort! Lots of tea, though.

- and no alcohol. Interestingly, I didn't even want it. Tea, my friends.

- Tai Chi is a magic pill. I went to class last night and it really helped. 

Level 9 Ranger

Sorry you're having such a rough time. It does sound like leaving is a good idea, they clearly don't value you and you are obviously valuable. I'm pretty proud of you for standing up for yourself.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Sorry you're having such a rough time. It does sound like leaving is a good idea, they clearly don't value you and you are obviously valuable. I'm pretty proud of you for standing up for yourself.

Tank, your words are like cool water. I appreciate the vote of confidence. 

I had a chat with the boss by phone and they're making some changes (getting me a replacement contact is top of the list-- he's already outshined this bozo in just 2 emails). I'm going to head back in tomorrow and keep working on my deadline, but my plan will be to wait for any pay adjustment and possible bonuses, awarded in early May, and then move on to my next gig. 2 months should be plenty of time to scare up a more suitable billet. And I won't jump at the first thing that comes along (we can hope). 

Oddly enough, the restricted diet has really been helping me to cope with this stress. I think it's giving me extra strength. :)

Tues: Super clean diet, lots of tea

Aerobics: (bike 5 miles) + Tai Chi

MFP projection = 2 pounds/week

Fiction: 

• Like 3

Level 9 Ranger

And I forgot to mention, congrats on the Cholesterol. 

Thank you! I was hoping for a clear win, and I think I got it. 

I'm suspicious of health-care companies. They had that flag on their records; who knows what they'll try to get out of paying? 

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Work continues to be stressful post-meltdown. The very strict diet is helping. I met a coworker for drinks after work, and while it was a great talk, my head doesn't like me this morning. I want to keep away from alcohol. 

Sleep is another problem. I have been getting to bed fairly regularly, but I wake up around 2-4 and start going over the work problems. I'm trying various tactics such as getting up and reading elsewhere for a while (drugged with tea and valerian). Tonight I'll bring a notepad to write down thoughts. I think I'll feel better once I plot my exit strategy. I'd like to have something new lined up by July. 

Weds: Super clean diet, + 2 red wine (Done for week)

MFP projection = 1.2 pounds/week

Thurs: Very clean diet (some butter)

Aerobics: bodyweight workout + walk + slow Tai Chi

MFP projection = 2 pounds/week

• Like 4

Level 9 Ranger

Sorry to hear about the work complications and the rough spell they're inducing, but it sounds like your headspace is in a relatively positive place and you're handling the situation with a calm, mature mind.  Seconding the notebook, if nothing else.  I've always found that getting my complex thoughts summarized onto paper makes them less likely to race around in my head.  When they're written down, no matter how lengthy, they seem smaller than all of the overthinking we're capable of.

• Like 1

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

Sorry to hear about the work complications and the rough spell they're inducing, but it sounds like your headspace is in a relatively positive place and you're handling the situation with a calm, mature mind.  Seconding the notebook, if nothing else.  I've always found that getting my complex thoughts summarized onto paper makes them less likely to race around in my head.  When they're written down, no matter how lengthy, they seem smaller than all of the overthinking we're capable of.

Rurik, you're very wise. Alas, I have not been calm or mature. It seems every 2 years at this job I have a meltdown. The underlying problems remain. I'll continue working through options with friends. 

they seem smaller than all of the overthinking we're capable of.

Guilty. Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm meeting a friend to discuss work options tomorrow. Since she likes to drink, I'm meeting her for lunch. I'm having too much success with my clean diet to want to break it now. Preparing for tomorrow: 

Fri: Very clean diet + fried chicken (1 processed food= Done for week)

Aerobics: walk + Tai Chi

MFP projection = 0.75 pounds/week

Friday morning update: I FINALLY SLEPT LAST NIGHT. Such a relief.

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Saturday, last day of week 1. Today is the "final roundup". :)

My work situation meant I got 5 hours of sleep or so again. Got to sleep late (intentionally), but woke at 4 AM again. I've been up reading about climbing Everest ever since. The book seems oddly appropriate.

Yesterday after more consultation I finalized the decision to look for a new job. I sent my resume to 3 trusted friends for comment. It's going to be a long road-- I expect it will be 4 months before landing something new. I'm highly experienced, so landing something suitable might be a challenge, despite the market for technical communicators being brisk. We shall see how it goes. 

I had hoped that making the decision would calm me down, but I'm obviously still highly adrenalized. I think I need to meditate more; Tai Chi alone isn't cutting the added stress. Tested bp again yesterday: 130/87. That's work, folks. I'm looking forward to either a bike ride or mountain climb today to swing the balance back. 

Sat: clean diet 

Aerobics: walk only

MFP projection = 0.5 pounds/week

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Week 1 Roundup: 

This has been an AWESOME week, and I have Nerd Fitness to thank. 

I have been under tremendous pressure at work, and the twin combo of clean diet and regular exercise have got me through in astoundingly good shape. The sleep is not working out so well, but I have been actively working to enable good habits. I went to bed super early last night. Still woke up too early today, but I have all sorts of good enabling habits like tea and wind-down time and (an attempt at) regular hours. I believe this will straighten itself out next week as the work situation cools. 

Exercise
Cardio = A+. I have already exceeded my weekly goal per MFP, and I haven't done my hike yet. 
Pounds down = 2 for the week (right on projected target)

Diet
A for the week. I exceeded my goals for clean diet, even less dairy than could be allotted and right on target for alcohol. I intentionally ate a dessert instead of dinner last night as a special treat (after eating super clean all day). This was an intentional choice. My goals are working just the way I want them to. 

Refresh:
B for the week. I did Tai Chi or meditation every day except one, and tried my level best to sleep. I expect as I get the immediate crisis behind me, I'll actually return to sleeping 7.5 hours per night. 

Write My Way Out of a Paper Office:
GOAL CHANGE: Considering the recent meltdown, I am expanding this goal to include activities related to finding a new job. I won't be able to stick out my current situation for 3 years (which is the time I've allowed my new business to take off). Therefore, to get out of this particular office, I'm going to permit job-seeking activities in addition to fiction-writing activities. The ideal is 2 of each per week, but I'm allowing myself some flexibility as events dictate. 
New challenge is called Renew:
A = 4/week WIS +3
B = 3/week WIS +2
C = 2/week WIS +1

Here's what I did this week to earn an A:
Fiction: 12 stories in mail, Updated Twitter & LI profiles, tweeted new story
Job: Consulted with local job maven, sent updated resume to 3 reviewers, read 3 books and devised plan for managing work crisis

First order of business is to calm the work crisis. I'm developing an action plan today. Next is to get the job ball rolling. I'll be filling in fiction goals around my other new-job activities. 

Sun: clean diet 

Aerobics: hike (3 miles, steep) + meditation

MFP projection = -3 pounds/week

Renew: read 3 books (workplace bullying, conflict resolution, legal rights) and developed work action plan 

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

I know the Death March well. Last month, I had to do the Death March while suffering from a cold that normally would have made me take some days off. But Death Marchers don't take days off; they work from home instead. 

Keep it up! I struggle with getting enough sleep too, but it's a worthy battle! 

• Like 2

SHAEON

Jedi Apprentice

Druid Character Sheet

Daily Battle Log: Shaeon Restores Balance to the Force

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Current Challenge: Shaeon Focuses

"With great boots comes great responsibility."

Ugh. 4 hours sleep last night. I hope my anxiety will ease off now that I've actually applied for a job. 

I know the Death March well. Last month, I had to do the Death March while suffering from a cold that normally would have made me take some days off. But Death Marchers don't take days off; they work from home instead. 

Keep it up! I struggle with getting enough sleep too, but it's a worthy battle! 

You darned betcha. I was ill all January, which is part of the reason I'm so far behind now. It took me a while to recover, but now I'm in Death March trim. Gah. I'll be so happy when it's over. 

Mon: Super-duper clean diet 

Aerobics: walk + Tai Chi (class)

MFP projection = -0.75 pounds/week

Renew: Applied for a job!

I'm fading fast. I fall asleep quickly, but I tend to wake up between 2 and 5 and stay awake. Please, oh please, Morpheus, let me sleep in!

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Hang in there, HH! :cheerful:

Congrats on getting a job application in already! Keeping my fingers crossed that you can leave the current unhealthy workplace ASAP! 

I'm fading fast. I fall asleep quickly, but I tend to wake up between 2 and 5 and stay awake. Please, oh please, Morpheus, let me sleep in!

Which reminds me of this song: 

• Like 1

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

LOL! Tank, that cartoon is perfect!

Yeah, that was me last Tuesday. This Tuesday, I'm more subtle. I'm mining the bridge for remote detonation. 

Congrats on getting a job application in already! Keeping my fingers crossed that you can leave the current unhealthy workplace ASAP! 

Thanks, Swampling! It's done my spirit a world of good to start looking "out there" for something that's not quite so unhappy for me. 

Tues: moderately clean diet - dinner with bread, butter, and 1 red wine

Aerobics: yoga + walk + Tai Chi

MFP projection = -1 pounds/week

Renew: Got the names of 2 recruiters

Last night I actually did sleep over 7 hours. That's 2 days of 7+ hour sleep in 10 days! Whahoo, what a champ!

...not so much. But working on it! I've added kava-kava to the meditation/tea/valerian mix. 

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Sleep: 7.5 hours last night, yay!

Weds: pretty clean diet - yogurt + red meat (yak)

MFP projection = -0.5 pounds/week

Renew: looked up artists, reviewed resume

Sleep: 6 solid

Thurs: clean diet 

Aerobics: BWx2 + walk + Tai Chi

MFP projection = -1 pounds/week

Renew: Not a whisker. Worked 10 hours. 

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Argh. The maid moved the scale, and this morning I weighed 3 more pounds. It's a touchy old thing, and the dial must have jiggled, so now I've lost my weight continuity. I will have to reset and go on from the new weight (0 isn't 0, unfortunately). Sigh. 

In better news, I actually slept through the night. Woke up too early, but not vastly early. I'm a little tired from the extended work and low-sleep fest. I hope I can take some naps this weekend. 

Sleep: 7.5 hours, 5.5 solid

Fri: Moderately clean diet (bagel & cream cheese, 2 red wine)

Phys: massage + walk + Tai Chi

MFP projection = -0.5 pounds/week

Renew: 0

Sleep: 6 hours, broken

Fri: clean diet 

Phys: ? + Tai Chi

MFP projection = 0.5 pounds/week

Renew:

Angry & sad. The massage therapist asked how I was doing, and I went through the whole work thing again. I have a rock in my stomach. She says there are deeper issues I have to work through. Right now I just want to punch a wall, as it's against the law to punch the jackass who really deserves it. 

I'm really going to try to relax. That's a stretch goal. 

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Week 2 Roundup: 

Tough week due to the work situation. Still very difficult to sleep. I did back off on everything this weekend and just rested. That seems to be resetting the constant upset I've lived with the last 2 weeks. The exhaustion was creeping into everything. 

Exercise

Cardio = A-. Met my weekly goal per MFP but not by much. REALLY tired, so workouts were hard. 

Diet

C for the week. I went a little crazy this weekend because it was my birthday, so some eating out Tues, Fri & Sun and wine brought the exceptions up. 

Refresh:

B for the week. Starting to calm down, but still choppy. 

Renew:

B for the week. Making steady progress toward finding a new job. 

Level 9 Ranger