• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
67alecto

Matt's Journal

100 Pushup Challenge

Did 20 pushups in the initial "test", so Week 1 will consist of sets of 10, 12, 7, 7, 9+

Starting tonight. *edit* - did 10, 12, 7, 7, 10. Abs and Shoulders are on fire.

Progress since July 14th, 2009:

131lbs lost

Size 48" pants down to size 38"

5X shirts to 2X

July 2009-Jan2010:

Posted Image

Good luck on the pushup challenge.

I gave it a try once. I made it to about week 5 then I pulled a muscle in my neck. I blamed it on bad form. So I started over again, this time using the pushup handles (not sure if there's a better name or not), and really worked on my form. I made it I think 2 or 3 weeks in, then I switched gyms and started the cardio kick boxing class that I'm still in now.

I struggled a lot with the class at first, but whenever we did (and still do) pushups I'm usually better than most of the class thanks to giving the 100 challenge a try

100 Pushup Challenge

Did 20 pushups in the initial "test", so Week 1 will consist of sets of 10, 12, 7, 7, 9+

Starting tonight. *edit* - did 10, 12, 7, 7, 10. Abs and Shoulders are on fire.

Progress since July 14th, 2009:

131lbs lost

Size 48" pants down to size 38"

5X shirts to 2X

Matt, congrats on your progress since July, that is freaking awesome.

Keep it up!

-Steve

Matt,

Thanks for posting your progress! It really helps us see where we will be in a couple of months.

I started the 100 push-up challenge and got about halfway through when I threw out my back helping a friend move. I want to get started again, but I think I'm going to stick with my 28 day challenge first, and then see where to go!

Good luck man!

Topher

February Stats

Daily Averages

Calories 1758

Carbs 247g

Protein 97g

Fat 51g

Sat. Fat 12.3g

Cholesterol 140mg

Sodium 3259mg

Fiber 46g

Sugar 40g

Calorie Deficit -1387

10.0lbs lost 2/3/10-3/2/10

100 Pushups: Went for Day 2 of Week 1...not going to happen. Thought I had recovered from the first 2 days (Test and Day 1), but I managed 1 pushup before my shoulders gave up...I mean, I couldn't even hold a plank position.

Walked instead and finished with an estimated calorie deficit of 1090.

Good exercise today.

Walked a mile at work to enjoy the warming weather (12 minutes, which isn't bad for work clothes).

Did 2.5 miles on the elliptical in 30 minutes at resistance level 17 of 25 (I stay at a resistance level until I can do 3 miles in 30 minutes, and then I up it).

Completed Day 2 of Week 1 in the 100 pushup program - 5 sets in the following order: 10, 12, 8, 8, and 12. Sets 1 and 2 were brutal, easiest was set 5. Hopefully this means I'll be able to do Day 3 on Saturday night.

Got a hike planned for Sunday - ~6 miles over very rugged terrain with several hundred feet of rapid elevation changes. So glad Spring is around the corner, as this will be the first hike I've gone on since the weekend after Thanksgiving.

1870 calories w/ 63g of Fiber

• Like 1

Got a hike planned for Sunday - ~6 miles over very rugged terrain with several hundred feet of rapid elevation changes. So glad Spring is around the corner, as this will be the first hike I've gone on since the weekend after Thanksgiving.

God I'm so glad too! I haven't been biking but twice since Thanksgiving and it's killing me. Yay for warm weather :-D

• Like 1

Another great day as Spring nears...got to 55 today.

Walked the mile path at work again, then did 3 miles on the elliptical in 26:58. Resistance was at 10/25 as I wanted to test my endurance at faster pace. Especially good since I spent 45 minutes trying to talk myself out of going ot the gym after work.

1971 calories in, 57g of fiber.

Day 3 of 100 pushups completed.

Almost forgot and was on my way to bed when I rememebered

11, 15, 9, 9, 13.

2nd set was a killer, but again, the last one was good.

Sweet hike. Took exactly 2 hours and 30 minutes (started at 12:34pm and came back to trail head at 3:04pm).

Did two trails and climbed 2 ridges as we criss-crossed a valley floor. A few small water crossings, but the rainwater-fed streams were all dry so we only had the main stream to cross a few times.

Only bad part was my new boots gave me blisters on both of my achlilles tendon within the first half mile. Finally found a tolerable placement for my socks, but it was pretty bad. The last mile was all switchbacks, and I was moving pretty slow as walking down hill put a lot of pressure on them.

Now the awesome part. We've done both of these trails before, but never in the same day.

Now the awesomer part. I never had to stop to rest. However, I did have to stop several times to let my wife catch up. She's from a woodsy, outdoor family, so hiking is in her blood. I hit those hills and though I was breathing heavily and working up a big sweat, I never felt any fatigue in my legs.

Last fall, I would usually stop to catch my breath at the top of particularly steep sections. This time, I could just push right through.

Are you actually progressing day for day?

I'm having to do 2-3 days of each 'day' of the challenge. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... resting too long? It says "at least 60s, longer as needed", so I normally give it a good 5min or so for arms to stop hurting.

Maybe that's messing up the strength-building?

Are you actually progressing day for day?

I'm having to do 2-3 days of each 'day' of the challenge. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... resting too long? It says "at least 60s, longer as needed", so I normally give it a good 5min or so for arms to stop hurting.

Maybe that's messing up the strength-building?

So far, I have not had to repeat any days, but during Week 1 I was taking 2 days off between. I'm a pretty beefy guy - I still have a lot of strength left over from football, martial arts, and tennis. Plus, I've was doing weight/resistance/bodyweight training 3x a week from July to Jan.

Week 3 looks scary as hell.

I've done nothing for upper body strength before. Used to be an avid cyclist, and still take pride in my quads. But this pushup challenge and working out in general is the first thing I've ever done outside of P.E. class that targets upper body.

I'm probly gonna have to do w2d2 again tonight; I don't move forward until I hit the min on the last set.

Felt like I'm losing my mojo, so I did Week 2 Day 2 of 100 pushups (14, 16, 12, 12, 17) after getting back from the gym.

At the gym, I did deadlifts, inverted rows, bench press, overhead press, bicep curls, and crunches. All but the crunches were 5x5 sets, the crunches were 3x10.

Feel better, but I don't think I'm out of my funk yet.

Almost talked myself out of going to the gym...headed there, but also had other errands to run.

As luck would have it, Megadeth's "Peace Sells" came on, so I pulled in.

A side-effect of this is that loud, angry music doesn't inspire you to hit the elliptical.

So I did 5x5 sets of bench press, shoulder press, squats, and tricep extensions, and then 3x12 weighted crunches.

8lbs lost since March 2nd.

My schedule got out of whack with the 100 pushup challenge. I started Stronglifts 5x5 last week, and I couldn't alternate days with that and the pushups while dealing with DOMS from 2 SL sessions.

So tonight I'll be doing SL followed by Day 3 of Week 3

No pushups tonight. Strained my left arm/shoulder on the last rep of the first bench press set tonight. Forward movement hurts...I couldn't do any more bench press, but I was able to do overhead press.

Did 1x5 benchpress, 3x12 crunches, 5x5 squats, 5x5 overhead press, 5x5 bicep curls, 5x5 upright rows.

By mid-afternoon, my shoulder was feeling a lot better.

I completed Day 3 of Week 2 in the 100 pushups. 16, 17, 14, 14, 20

Up next will be the exhaustion test to determine what level I am at for Week 3.

Weights tonight

5x5 Squats

5x5 Bench (shoulder is still a bit sore)

5x5 Overhead press

1x4 assisted chinups

3x15 crunches w/ 20lbs

5x5 overhead tricep extensions

Just did 30 minutes on the world's oldest, crappiest treadmill at the Hampton Inn.

Had a 1000 calorie plate of spaghetti at the old spaghetti factory, and it was damn good.

Still ended up with a 500 calorie deficit.

continuing my tour of rickety hotel gym equipment.

25 minutes on some weird, golds-gym-branded elliptical, max resistance

good workout, but I thought it was going to shake apart.

Back in town after Spring Break (for my 7-year old son).

Worked out a few times in crappy hotel gyms, and I was able to supplement with plenty of swimming (and even took my shirt off for the pool). On Wednesday, we walked around the Cincinnati Zoo for 5 hours. No back pain, feet started getting a bit sore as we were leaving.

One bad thing about the trip was that I was eating some incredibly good, but incredibly "bad" food. Great barbecue, some hand-made potato chips, beef medallions in peppercorn sauce w/ triple cheese grits on the side. I was able to work in a grilled BBQ chicken breast and fish a few times, but it definitely wrecked my GI tract for 2 days. Spent a lot of quality time in the john, if you know what I mean. I never went above maintenance, with a one-day high of 2500 calories (and I was able to walk/jog for 30 minutes that night as well).

The last night, I was more or less recovered, but still pretty weak. I went ahead and did the Pre-Week 3 exhaustion test for 100 Pushups, and stopped at 31 after feeling like I was going to get an intestinal cramp (still had some gurgling going on there).

I didn't check the results, but now that I have I'm pretty stoked: to continue on level 3, I had to do at least 25.

And here I was thinking about how I was going to have to re-take it for a better showing.

Sign in to follow this