fiddle-on

Oh, man, plantar's. I've had my run ins with that (even had to call into work once because my feet hurt so badly I could barely walk). It helped me immensely to make a point of doing some basic foot stretches many times while I was sitting at my desk throughout the day (Such as raising my feet onto my toes while sitting down, rocking your feet side to side on your toes to stretch out your arch nicely), and whenever I got up to go to the bathroom or something giving myself an extra arch/calf stretch against a wall (the image below, hold for at least 30 secs, slowly leaning into wall to get into the stretch more). Lots of people have success with using a ball or roller against their arch, but I never was helped that much. But make sure whatever you do you keep doing it to try and ward it off.

Calf-Stretch-Picture-Wall.jpg

• Like 2

Maeghaan | Assassin

EQ Level 2 | NF Level 4

I started a blog: The Cognitive Itch
"Even in these chains, you can't stop me"

Weight loss goal: Drop from 247 to 160

36%
36%

Oh, man, plantar's. I've had my run ins with that (even had to call into work once because my feet hurt so badly I could barely walk). It helped me immensely to make a point of doing some basic foot stretches many times while I was sitting at my desk throughout the day (Such as raising my feet onto my toes while sitting down, rocking your feet side to side on your toes to stretch out your arch nicely), and whenever I got up to go to the bathroom or something giving myself an extra arch/calf stretch against a wall (the image below, hold for at least 30 secs, slowly leaning into wall to get into the stretch more). Lots of people have success with using a ball or roller against their arch, but I never was helped that much. But make sure whatever you do you keep doing it to try and ward it off.

Yeah, stretches and exercises have helped. I've been doing the foot against the wall stretch, but I think I'll add some of your seated stretches/exercises.

The single thing made a night and day difference, though, was resting it for a month. I was at the could barely walk 100 ft stage at Christmas, and was reading up on surgery (and deciding that with such poor success rates, it sounded like a whole lot of snake oil). But the surgery recovery time was several weeks of almost no walking whatsoever. I tried the no walking bit, but skipped the surgery, and after just two weeks I was able to go on a two hour shopping trip with only mild pain. It's been improving slowly ever since.

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

Just got home from another strength class. It went well, and afterwards, I talked to one of the owners about possibly writing a homepage blurb for them, since their current homepage is blank. She'll be talking to her partner about it, but she was definitely interested. This was my first in-person sales attempt, so I'm pretty happy with myself :star: :star: :star: .

A good end to a kind of bleh day. I forgot my wallet, and while normally I keep a backup change purse in my desk, that's empty right now. I had a Luna bar and some peanuts for lunch instead of buying a salad, so that wasn't particularly healthy. And then I was eating chocolate all afternoon because Sugar!. I should have spoken to the man at the cash register at the work cafeteria about getting the salad, and paying tomorrow. But it wasn't one of the people I know, and I was embarrassed to ask. Oh well. :upset:

New goal for the week: Ignore Kathy's Candy. Kathy has a candy jar on her desk with lots of chocolate. It's way too easy to walk in, say hi, and walk out with sugar, especially between 2 and 3pm, when I'm always crashing a little. For the rest of the week, I want to not do this, not even a single hershey's kiss.

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

Coffee/tea is a great way to get around these sorts of problems!! (Go decaf if you're not really a coffee/tea person) A nice mug of coffee (in my most fantastic dragon-shaped mug <3 ) solves a lot of my cravings at the office.

Level 1 Half-elf Assassin

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 2 | CHA 1

'From flabby geek to Sheik and Mystique'

Instagram: LJaybirdfly

Current Challenge:

You need a game plan for 2-3pm, be it sugar free gum, a cup of black coffee or green tea, or something.

Honestly, what works best is if I take frequent short breaks throughout the day (2-3 minutes twice an hour), and just close my eyes for 10 minutes at my afternoon low point. I might try the gum as well.  I'm trying to get into the habit of setting a silent alarm on my phone every half hour, and taking a quick break when it goes off. Otherwise, I can easily work for an hour or two in the morning without stopping, and I pay for it after lunch and especially when I get home and I'm totally beat.

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Here's yesterday's summary.

Food:Did well on the diet, although I could have skipped the small piece of cake at chorus last night.

Exercise: Walked at lunch yesterday, but I probably shouldn't have (foot hurts). I want to do 10 minutes of strength exercises this evening. The trainer at my class suggested 10 minutes of alternating hollow body holds and Turkish get-ups, which we were doing in the training session.

Edit: Nothing yesterday because of chorus rehearsal. Need to get back to it tonight.

Cleaning: Did my dishes and put away clothes, but other stuff is piling up, sometimes literally. Gonna have to do more than the minimum tonight, I think.

Sleep: Not even close :-(. Got home at 10 from chorus, and immediately went online to research hammock hanging (Goal is no screens after 9 pm). I think I got to sleep around 11:30.

On the plus side, I've figured out how I can hang a hammock in my 9x10 ft bedroom.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

OK, so my foot has been hurting more and more since I overdid the hiking at the end of February. So I'm going back to extreme rest for a week. Rules:

- Walk as little as possible, and avoid extended periods of standing. Wear shoes even indoors.

- Drive Everywhere. No walks at lunch, no walking to the grocery store after work.

- Fill up a water bottle, rather than walking to the water cooler when I want a glass.

- If I need a movement break at work, yoga poses, squats, lunges, and pushups at my desk are all options. Walking around the parking lot is not.

- Avoid a lot of standing around.

I'm going to aim for the 1 hour strength classes to be my longest periods on my feet this week, plus doing foot exercises the same days as the strength classes.

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

On the plus side, I've figured out how I can hang a hammock in my 9x10 ft bedroom.

PLEASE SHARE. My sister brought me a hammock back from Nicaragua and I really want to hang it up in my new place, but I don't know how...

• Like 1

Current Challenge:

PLEASE SHARE. My sister brought me a hammock back from Nicaragua and I really want to hang it up in my new place, but I don't know how...

Start with http://www.treklightgear.com/treklife/sleeping-in-a-hammock-guide/. The writer has more to say about hammocks than you ever imagined could be said.

Then go to http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/ for information on how to space things.

And finally, the hardware is at http://smile.amazon.com/Eagles-Nest-Outfitters-Indoor-Hanging/dp/B00DVE2AW8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1457740794&sr=8-3&keywords=hammock+hanging+kit

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Did a personal training class yesterday, and finished up with lots of swings. I'm actually getting pretty good at them now! I'm definitely not up for doing a third class this week on Saturday, though. I've been a little bit achy all week after three classes last week. I'm happy to be taking these four days to recover. I may do a yoga class tomorrow or Sunday.

My foot hasn't been hurting too much, so I went for a slow walk at lunch because the weather is so nice and one of my coworkers asked me to (our other walking partner is on a cruise this week, lucky girl). The pain was the same afterwards as before, so walking less is helping.

I don't think I've done any writing all week, which is bad. I'll do some after I post this.

I'm over the 10 minute cleaning minumim today because I'm doing laundry. I think tomorrow I'm going to aim for 3 15 minute cleaning sessions, which should get my apartment into presentable shape. I'm also going to get rid of some unwanted furniture, which will let me get a new couch and rearrange everything else (and make space for a hammock!)

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

It turns out my pocketbook is an Endless Bag of Keeping.

I'd noticed that my pocketbook was getting heavy lately. But when I cleaned it out a couple weeks ago, it seemed heavier than I remembered even with nothing in it. I put it down to my mind playing tricks, because of course it couldn't actually weigh more.

Then today I found a hole in the lining. A tube of cover-up was partway poked through the hole. Another good shake, and it would have disappeared completely. So I stuck my finger through the hole, and pulled out a lip gloss. Then I did it again, and came up with my bluetooth headset (I didn't even know it was missing). Then another tube of cover up, a pair of tweezers, two more lip glosses, and a mascara.

At this point, I was just wondering how much more could there be, so I emptied the pocketbook, enlarged the hole, and shook everything down to that corner. I came up with 2 Hershey's kisses, a third tube of cover-up (my summer color, so this has been going on for months), a quarter, an unmatched earring, a flashlight, a usb stick, a coffeemaker, and a puppy.

Well, maybe not those last two. But seriously, I had no idea I could fit that much under the lining. All I knew was that I was misplacing all my makeup somehow.

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

I went to a chocolate and wine tasting at a locale chocolate maker, and boy do they have good chocolates. They had 4 wines and a beer out, and two different types of chocolate with each. I limited myself to one type per wine, which came out to 4 or 5 different chocolates. My favorite was the black raspberry truffle, although the creme brulee truffle was a close second, and I didn't try the amaretto truffle, the praline truffle, or the strawberry truffle, which would have been stiff competition. It helped that the whole event was free, so I didn't feel like I needed to get my money's worth. I also got to try a cocoa nib, which is basically completely unprocessed chocolate, and saw a chocolate tree seed pod. It was the size of a sweet potato, and bright red. Really cool event. I'll be keeping this place in mind for special occasions.

The only one I didn't really like was the chocolate dipped potato chip. Sometimes putting two yummy things together isn't a good thing.

You know, I've got a birthday coming up later this week...

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Fabulous weather today. I went for my first bike ride of the year, and I didn't even need a jacket! Just 6 miles around town at a nice, slow pace. I felt pretty good afterwards.  Plus I found a $20 bill in my bike bag, so that was an extra bonus.

I've been nibbling on sweet stuff all day, mostly fruit, dried fruit, and French Toast for lunch, plus a few chocolate chips. I haven't been overeating, but I need to get back to really watching what I eat tomorrow.

I haven't been writing at all.

I cleaned out my closet today, put away yesterday's laundry, and overall got my bedroom looking better than it has in weeks. After that was done, I ordered a hammock, an indoor hanging kit, and a stud finder. They should be coming later this week! The hammock is an inexpensive blue and gray nylon camping style one. I decided on that one because it will be convenient to take it on camping trips or even on long bike rides, even if I decide it's too much of a pain to have it in the house. If I really like it, and use it indoors enough, I can order a second one in colors that match my decor better.

I've been absolutely terrible about the no electronics at night, and going to bed on time. I've been up til 11 most nights all week, and have been using my tablet in bed. I just uninstalled candy crush from it because it was sucking my life, but I'm considering just getting rid of the whole tablet. I don't use it for anything that I can't also do on either my phone or my laptop, and 90% of the time, I'm just wasting time on it. Tomorrow morning is going to be miserable. I signed up for a 6AM strength class because I was thinking the sun would be up by then. I forgot about daylight savings. Oh well.

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Daylight savings seriously throws off my inner clock. I got to bed around 11:30 last night because I just wasn't tired - it felt like 10:30. But I was still up at 6. Ugh.

Went to a strength class eysterday, ate well, and got a bunch of errands done in the evening. So other than the really bad haircut by the not-my-regular-person in the haircut place, it was a very good day. This lady cut it too short, and then needed me to tell her it was uneven by about half an inch. So technically, she only cut half of it too short. And that's on chin-length hair! At least  it'll grow out, and I know to avoid this lady in the future.

Feeling under the weather today, plus cold and rainy weather = not a great day.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

I agree, Daylight savings time is evil. My clock is so messed up. Your pocketbook is amazing  :D ! The chocolate tasting party sounds delicious. Great job at enjoying it, without over doing it. Looks like you are doing great with your challenge.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Start with http://www.treklightgear.com/treklife/sleeping-in-a-hammock-guide/. The writer has more to say about hammocks than you ever imagined could be said.

Then go to http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/ for information on how to space things.

And finally, the hardware is at http://smile.amazon.com/Eagles-Nest-Outfitters-Indoor-Hanging/dp/B00DVE2AW8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1457740794&sr=8-3&keywords=hammock+hanging+kit

Enjoy!

Thanks!!! Bookmarking all of these! ^-^

Current Challenge:

I've had an upset stomach all week. I was feeling worst on Wednesday, but this morning I had to do an exercise class on three spoonfuls of yogurt as breakfast. I had no energy whatsoever, but at least I got through it. Haven't been getting much done towards any other goals - minimal cleaning, lots of sleeping, and let's not talk about food now.

Hammock update. Well, the hammock is not going up on my bedroom walls. The problem is that I live in an old building, probably 50-80 years old, and the outside is stone. So the construction is non-standard. And the bedroom has three outside walls, and only 1 inner. I think the painted walls inside are plaster rather than drywall. I was hoping it was a stone facing over a wood frame, but the stud finder isn't finding much, which could because of the plaster, or it could be because there is no wooden frame. Since a hammock is a pretty serious load, I'm not willing to just put it up and hope for the best. Maybe I'll put it in the living room, which is normal drywall over wood construction, or maybe I'll figure out a way to set up a frame without taking over the room.

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

So sorry to hear about the upset stomach!  I hope you get feeling better soon, and even more importantly, can stomach some food.  Life without food is just awful.

• Like 1

[Level ?] Altered Outrider (Tech Shaman/Lightning Tempest)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Armor of the First Altered (rare), ECA-AR4 'Space Revenant' rifle (rare), Outrider's pack & Enoch alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

On 3/18/2016 at 1:44 PM, Elastigirl said:

Hope you feel better soon!

On 3/19/2016 at 0:13 AM, Rurik Harrgath said:

So sorry to hear about the upset stomach!  I hope you get feeling better soon, and even more importantly, can stomach some food.  Life without food is just awful.

14 hours ago, redimagination said:

Sorry to hear that you have been unwell. Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for all the well wishes! I'm back to eating like a normal person again, and had a really good workout on Monday. 

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

I'm back to the size I was at the beginning of last year! Another 10 pounds, and I'll be back to my size 10 years ago (and out of the overweight category)  and if I keep working out like I am now, I'll also be in the best shape of my life. So that's really exciting. 

While I was sick, the mess in my apartment built back up. I just got the kitchen back this  morning, and cleared my desk yesterday. That still leaves my bedroom and living room to clean.

Right now,  I'm pretty happy with my diet and exercise routine. Everything else,  not  so much, and I'm just not sure what to do about it. I'm going to try posting more thoughts this evening. 

• Like 2

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges:

Dammit, worst start to a year ever. Upset stomach on my birthday last week, then I just found 2 white hairs. I found the first like 3 years ago, so it's not like it's going white overnight, but I was really hoping to copy my great grandmother whose hair didn't go gray until her 80s. Oh well, I'm still ahead of my older brother, who started going grey in his 20s, and my mother has had grey hair since my earliest memories, when she would have been about my age now (mid 30s)

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

Past Challenges: