Xena: And the other shoe drops

Xena

So last challenge I "threw down the gauntlet' for myself, taking on a big running challenge (training for a sub-4 hour marathon). This time I'm mostly continuing what I started. Was considering throwing the other gauntlet, but "shoes" seemed more appropriate :-)

1. Plan the run. Run the plan.  This is my most important goal. 6 weeks into a training plan aimed toward a 4 hour marathon. The training steps up a bit over this next chunk. Each week, there are 4 possible points (2 speed/tempo workouts, a long run, and being within 2 miles of target total mileage). I get full credit for 14/16 points. Week 3 will be modified due to travel. Full points for one quality run and 2 additional runs of at least 3 miles.
  2. Spring into spring. 100 push-ups, 100 sun salutations. The pushups are all full pushups this time around. The sun salutations can be modified in any way. I’ll try to do some outside each week if the weather cooperates. It’s apparently a tradition to do 100 sun salutations on the first day of spring. That seems excessive for me, so I’m spreading them over the month and welcoming spring in my own way.
  3. 8 times to the gym. Still working very slowly toward chin-ups. Because I can’t do any actual chin-ups yet, I mostly do negatives and use the gravitron as a quantifiable benchmark. Last week I was able to increase a bit and did 3x6 on “11†(still only lifting about half my weight).
  4. Dreaded tasks. I’m still working on my list…mostly household chores and other random things I’ve been meaning to do. Full points for 15 tasks…must include at least 4 tasks left over from last month’s list.
  5. Stretch goal. For the past couple challenges I’ve been regularly stretching my very tight hamstring and trying to rehab it. The stretching seems useful after a run, but I’m not really sure it’s making any progress. To make this more interesting for myself, I’m going to try a stretching program** that Captain Badass pointed me toward. I’m planning to modify this by not doing it every day. Will aim for at least  15 days during the challenge. Also week 1 is a trial…if I don’t like it, I’ll change it.

** It's a splits challenge. I'm nowhere near doing splits, and they aren't particularly my goal. But all the stretches are useful stretches similar to what I would be doing anyway.

• Like 8

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Running, working on chin-ups, household chores and the splits?!

I like it. I've never had the desire to do the splits but thinking of stretching my hips sounds reeeeallllly nice..

D2kRjSK9p7-4.png

Wolf Deadpool

"Daddy needs to express some Rage."

• Like 2

Wild Wolf

Class: Peerless Scarred/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 188#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Intro to Wolflean

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

How could I not follow a name like Xena?

1. Stretch goal. For the past couple challenges I’ve been regularly stretching my very tight hamstring and trying to rehab it. The stretching seems useful after a run, but I’m not really sure it’s making any progress. To make this more interesting for myself, I’m going to try a stretching program** that Captain Badass pointed me toward. I’m planning to modify this by not doing it every day. Will aim for at least  15 days during the challenge. Also week 1 is a trial…if I don’t like it, I’ll change it.

I don't know about you, but the hamstring seems to be the most annoyingly hard part of the body to persuade to loosen up, and the fastest to tighten up when not constantly stretched.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Here for the running, chin ups and push ups!

Sent while a top a wall or lost on a trail. Thanks, Rangerbrain!

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Woot for full push ups.

I'm really proud of them. They were hard-won!

How could I not follow a name like Xena?

I don't know about you, but the hamstring seems to be the most annoyingly hard part of the body to persuade to loosen up, and the fastest to tighten up when not constantly stretched.

Yup, I don't know what's up with the hamstring. I've been nursing it along for about 13 years, so it's obviously "ok", but I'm interested in seeing if I can re-shape my flexibility a bit. I honestly don't know if I can or not. Interesting to try.

Oct/Nov 2016

I like the continued work on pull ups and pushups. The fact that you're making progress while chasing an epic running goal is all the more epic.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Gotta follow the awesome Ranger Princess. Love your goals, and I already know that you have got this in the bag.

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Following for the hamstring flexibility. Mine refuse to budge, and have been consistently refusing since forever... I have a small scar on my shin that I can reach the top of, I once managed to go from the top of my scar to the bottom after months of work, but then I made the mistake of thinking about taking a night off stretching and everything tightened back up again...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Here to cheer! Go kill those pushups!

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Thanks for the support everyone!

Following for the hamstring flexibility. Mine refuse to budge, and have been consistently refusing since forever... I have a small scar on my shin that I can reach the top of, I once managed to go from the top of my scar to the bottom after months of work, but then I made the mistake of thinking about taking a night off stretching and everything tightened back up again...

I don't understand it. Hamstrings are darned stubborn! I'm glad to have a kindred spirit of sorts

------------

Day 1 report

I was SORE from the race yesterday! Had some soreness in my hip that was worrying me, but it felt much better after stretching. Now mostly sore in the calves (normal, completely used-up muscles), which just tells me I ran a good hard effort.

Today was a good solid start. Scheduled rest from running, so I did all my other "random" exercise (3 sun salutations, "splits challenge" stretches, gym session that included 11 pushups).

Tomorrow I have a speed workout, which was an initially daunting thought. Now that I've looked at it carefully, I think it's more of a speed/recovery workout. 12x200 at mile pace. I think it's the kind of workout that gets your legs moving so you can work out the lactic acid (or whatever) and loosen up.

30757-Silver-tabby-kitten-stretching-whi

• Like 6

Oct/Nov 2016

Day 1 report

I was SORE from the race yesterday! Had some soreness in my hip that was worrying me, but it felt much better after stretching. Now mostly sore in the calves (normal, completely used-up muscles), which just tells me I ran a good hard effort.

Today was a good solid start. Scheduled rest from running, so I did all my other "random" exercise (3 sun salutations, "splits challenge" stretches, gym session that included 11 pushups).

I like this.  Ran a race yesterday, rest day from running today so you just went to the gym and did your other w/o.  Your idea of a rest day is quite impressive.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

I agree with peelout, you seem to rest the way that Nymeria rests, ie. by being differently active.

Out of curiosity, how do you know what you 'mile pace' is? I've always had a hard time with self-regulation when running, I always start out fast and then peter out, or I feel like I'm running like I'm being chased by a bear, but when I look at my time, I was really just plodding along. So how do you know how fast to go?

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I agree with peelout, you seem to rest the way that Nymeria rests, ie. by being differently active.

Out of curiosity, how do you know what you 'mile pace' is? I've always had a hard time with self-regulation when running, I always start out fast and then peter out, or I feel like I'm running like I'm being chased by a bear, but when I look at my time, I was really just plodding along. So how do you know how fast to go?

If you know your fastest current(ish) time at any distance, there are various equations that can predict your time at other distances. Here are a couple online calculators (Some ads may pop up on the runnersworld link...but you can click them closed):

http://www.runnersworld.com/pace-calculators/race-times-predictor

https://runsmartproject.com/calculator/

If you don't really know your fastest time over any distance, you have to do the experiment!

Depending on the distance you are training for (most adults tend to be training for things like 5k races or longer, so need to work on aerobic threshold), you will spend a lot of time running right on the edge of your aerobic threshold.

Hey my running friend! Great looking challenge. What race did you run yesterday?

Hi Terra! Good to see you again :-)

Half marathon yesterday. Part of training for a marathon in early May. I know I do lots of races, but I'm training hard for this marathon. Want to see how much I can improve if I really stick to a solid goal-oriented training plan.

• Like 2

Oct/Nov 2016

1. 8 times to the gym. Still working very slowly toward chin-ups. Because I can’t do any actual chin-ups yet, I mostly do negatives and use the gravitron as a quantifiable benchmark. Last week I was able to increase a bit and did 3x6 on “11” (still only lifting about half my weight).

But...but...there's only 7 days to a week!

• Like 2

Lvl 58 Multitasker

8 times to the gym. Still working very slowly toward chin-ups. Because I can’t do any actual chin-ups yet, I mostly do negatives and use the gravitron as a quantifiable benchmark. Last week I was able to increase a bit and did 3x6 on “11†(still only lifting about half my weight).

I'm really interested on seeing how this unravels :) following!

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

Marathon is in early May.

Sadly, came down with "plague" today. Was sniffling for a couple days and didn't think much of it. Now coughing, achy, chills.

Did some stretching this morning, which was good.

Decided to skip morning run, which was smart.

Packed up my running clothes thinking maybe I could run on the treadmill after work. ...Nope. Felt worse and retreated home to pj's and the couch.

There isn't much room in my running schedule for moving things around or making up missed runs. I gotta just give myself a pass. I'll have to take this day by day :-(

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016