Xena: And the other shoe drops

Xena

Woohoo, the Ranger Princess has returned. Does she bring her kin gifts?

Or to be more blunt, I wants photos of some cool places you saw. You did take some right? Please say you did. Ppppplllllleeeeaaaaaassssee!

Woden uses ravens, I use an iphone.

• Like 2

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

16 hours ago, Thom Ulfhedinn said:

Woohoo, the Ranger Princess has returned. Does she bring her kin gifts?

Or to be more blunt, I wants photos of some cool places you saw. You did take some right? Please say you did. Ppppplllllleeeeaaaaaassssee!

This is kind of funny, but the first pictures I took were (1) of a mini fitness station in the Copenhagen airport and (2) of the outdoor gym near my hotel. I'll post some over the weekend.

13 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Even if it keeps you super busy and partially away from the boards, gotta appreciate a job that lets you travel like that. I remember a visit to Alaska in the past, is there a pattern here? Are you researching something in the frosty northern parts of the globe?

A little pattern, but also a coincidence. I'm trying to do more work in high-latitude environments. This trip was something completely different and new to me. I served as the "opponent" at a Ph.D. defense (many Scandinavian universities bring in an external expert to lead the discussion/questioning). It's pretty intense. A big honor for me, generally terrifying for the student, but also kind of a stressful job for me.

Today was pretty good....I've officially completed my stretching goal. Did 10 pushups and 12 sun salutations (16 pushups and 31 sun salutations to go). Went to the gym and am pretty close to where I was before I got sick. Run planned for tomorrow morning.

I've been trying to fix my garmin and am completely fed up with the thing. It won't upload. Lots of other people have posted similar problems. Hoping I can find my receipt and that it's still under warranty (or that Garmin will help me out). Frustrating!

• Like 5

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

You gotta admire the northern Europeans .... an outdoor gym.  And I assume it is not a playground for kids since they take adult movement seriously.  *drool*

• Like 1

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Past couple days

Thursday Good gym workout, 12 sun salutations, stretching

Friday 6 mile good run at decently hard pace

Saturday not much...1 pushup and 3 sun salutations...my arms had nothing

Sunday 15 mile run on a fairly challenging course. Was hoping for a bit longer, but I was completely spent at the end of it. This is the longest run I've done in a month, so I'm happy enough. Mad scramble to finish some challenge goals...15 pushups, 28 sun salutations and a lot of housecleaning ("dreaded tasks").

Challenge wrap-up

I got really sick starting on the 2nd day of the challenge. Was pretty sacked out for ~2 weeks and traveling in week 3. I did what I could but really only this week has been normal. Therefore...I'm using "Zero week" as "Redemption week". I'll call goals #1 and #2 a win as long as I follow my running plan and go to the gym twice. So here's how the challenge stands:

1. Run the plan...Only week 4 was close to normal, and I still had to scale it back a bit. I think I still have enough time to get into pretty good marathon shape. I'll do my best.

2. Spring into spring...(100 pushups, 100 sun salutations)  Yep, did this exactly. Had to squeeze in a lot on the last day, so the sun saluations were pretty basic toward the end. I'm still doing ok on pushups, but didn't really make improvement this month. Happy to just be back where I was after being sick.

3. Gym...Plan was to go 8x and I only got in 4.5. This is the one goal where I probably could have done a little better. I gave myself permission to substitute at-home workouts while I was traveling/recovering, but I didn't really do it. I did make it to the gym twice this week and was able to do a great job of kicking my own butt. It felt good to be all sore.

4. Dreaded tasks...Goal was 15. Got 17. Win!

5. Stretch...Goal was 15 days of splits challenge, and I'm up to day 16. Win!

Bonus: Got 34:02 on my trail loop (goal was to get below 34:30).

I'm going to have similar goals next time, just mixing up the yoga and domestic goals a bit, and kicking up the pushups another notch.  :-)

• Like 9

Oct/Nov 2016

I think you did great!!  You kept on doing what you could so that you didn't lose ground during the rough spots.  Congrats, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next challenge.  

Level 63 Human ... Oath of Ancients Paladin

"We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less."  - Kurt Hahn

STR: 14 | DEX: 14| CON: 17 | INT: 17 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 14

The SIde Tracked Quest (rough draft)

Zero week (Redemption week!) update:

I had two great days in the gym! I made a kind of break through. I've been working on chin-ups since the beginning of the year, mostly by jumping up to the bar and doing slow negatives. I usually stand on a small plyo box, so there is a slight bend in my elbows. Early in the week, I felt strong and decided to try just lifting off the box. I can do a couple reps like that. It's not a full range of motion, and it's from a stand rather than a hang, but it feels like real progress. And I'll eventually be able to increment the difficulty by removing the box (can reach bar on tip toes) and lifting.

AND on Thursday, I hit my lifetime (so far) one-set max for pushups. I did 6!! At 42 years old, I don't get that many PRs like this anymore.

Running this week I was able to do all my planned runs and ended up with about 10 miles more than last week. Now I have two solid weeks of training after being sick, and I have 5 weeks before my marathon. I did have to cut my 20-miler short today. We were in CRAZY weather (rain, snow, pelting sleet etc), and after a while my hands were too cold (dripping wet gloves). Still got in a solid 16.25 and will try a 20-miler again in two weeks.

Going to post my new challenge now!

• Like 8

Oct/Nov 2016

On 3/1/2016 at 8:51 PM, Xena said:

Sadly, came down with "plague" today. Was sniffling for a couple days and didn't think much of it. Now coughing, achy, chills.

Felt worse and retreated home to pj's and the couch.

Any rotting skin or other zombie like symptoms from your plague? 

Hope you recover soon.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

At 42 years old, I don't get that many PRs like this anymore.

What the what?!?!? You're almost my age and seem to have this never empty pool of energy to draw from? I'm even more impressed than before and a bit jealous.

Way to go on the pulling and pushing! That's great stuff!!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 4

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

On 4/5/2016 at 7:59 PM, jstanlick said:

What the what?!?!? You're almost my age and seem to have this never empty pool of energy to draw from? I'm even more impressed than before and a bit jealous.

Way to go on the pulling and pushing! That's great stuff!!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

I have a little advantage (for finding time to exercise) because I don't have kids! Plenty of advantages to having kids, but extra personal time isn't one of them :-)

• Like 1

Oct/Nov 2016

Personal time??? What is this personal time you speak of?

• Like 1

Where to find me: Current Challenge : Battle Log Facebook : Instagram :

"Each day, just focus on getting 1% better in whatever it is you're trying to improve. That's it. Just 1%." ArtofManliness Article.

"That which is wise and holy helps the health and wholeness of the chain of generations." D. R. Miller. 

"We do not rise to our expectations. We fall to our level of training." Archilochus

Ok caught up on the amazing goings on herein. Xena, do me a favour and update your signature to link to this challenge. The world needs an easy to follow link to what you're doing at all times! The fact that I could have found this on my own without hardly any work is something we won't talk about.

But I'm glad I'm back on the following awesome people habit. I am stoked for your sub 4 hour marathon! And pull up and push up PRs to go along with it? I came back just in time.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."