Salty Lives the Life Aquatic

SaltyDragon

Hey, so I'm still out here. I had a nice little rant typed out about how miserable it is out here, and how I'm not motivated, and seasick, etc, etc. But then we turned and lost internet, so I guess it wasn't that important after all. Anyway, yes it sucks out here, but I'm gonna keep trying, and I promise to try to catch up on other threads soon.

Hope everyone's had a great weekend!

• Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

I was just thinking I hadn't seen anything posted by you recently and came to see how things were going. I hope things start getting better. Down days are allowed, just don't let negativity stick around too long.

YOU CAN DO IT! DON'T LET THE PIRATES WIN! FIND THE SHARK! YOU ARE A STRONG DRAGON AND RESOURCEFUL DRAGON!

Hopefully you can hear me from my shouting from my tiny town in Wisconsin all the way to your spot in the ocean near Alaska. 

Keep going mighty dragon.

• Like 1

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

Since this is nerdfitness, perhaps we could all put our heads together and come up with a design for a gyroscopically stabilized treadmill mount which could be constructed from things commonly found on research ships in Alaska. In the meantime, hopefully the messages of support are helpful when you are able to check in.

I'm hoping the weather breaks at least enough for you to get in a run!

• Like 4

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement, everyone. I'm doing my best to catch up on everyone's posts on the sly right now while we have internet. And it seems that just making the post yesterday made me feel better – I finished a very wobbly 5 miles on the treadmill last night, and some wobblier yoga this morning. Pull-ups, though, do suck on a boat.

Week 1 Summary

Run

Thanks to a hard zero-weekend effort, mileage looks pretty good, and I've stayed up reasonably with my training plan.

26.8 miles, minimum goal of 40.

Push, Pull, Sit

Pushups - 195 total, goal of 720

Crunches - 325 total, goal of 1200

Pull-ups - 6 total, goal of 20

Yoga

10 pts, goal of 24

Weights

4 pts, goal of 16

Volcanoes

Eh, I've lost track. But some people seem to think this kind of thing is pretty or whatever – you know, people who haven't seen it already. What do you think?

Umnak_Island_volcano.jpg

• Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

Since this is nerdfitness, perhaps we could all put our heads together and come up with a design for a gyroscopically stabilized treadmill mount which could be constructed from things commonly found on research ships in Alaska.

In a similar vein, I've devised a gimbaled GoPro camera mount that I can suspend from an overhead fixture behind the treadmill. It should be interesting...

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

That is awesome that you've been able to keep up that mileage despite the rough seas. That volcano is almost as impressive as your dedication and ingenuity, to say the least. Very cool. 

• Like 2

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Volcanoes

Eh, I've lost track. But some people seem to think this kind of thing is pretty or whatever – you know, people who haven't seen it already. What do you think?

Umnak_Island_volcano.jpg

In a similar vein, I've devised a gimbaled GoPro camera mount that I can suspend from an overhead fixture behind the treadmill. It should be interesting...

I honestly can't decide which of these things I'd like to see more: amazing snow-capped mountains from the ocean or a video of someone trying to run on a rolling treadmill. The motivation to see the two items is so different I don't know how to compare them. :)

• Like 2

tinkerer

<3  I love that video - although I have to admit I was imagining what it would look like without the side barriers on your treadmill :P  

Honestly if you can get 26.8 miles in on that thing, then the rest of us have absolutely no excuse.  Well done!

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

That might be the best thing I have seen this week for multiple reasons: the rigged fan, the fact that you're able to run with the upped difficulty level, and Girl Talk! Nice work. 

• Like 2

Level 13 Human Assassin

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

<3  I love that video - although I have to admit I was imagining what it would look like without the side barriers on your treadmill :tongue:  

Honestly if you can get 26.8 miles in on that thing, then the rest of us have absolutely no excuse.  Well done!

Great video! Really impressed that you can crank out the miles like that, that's dedication!

Thanks! To be fair, the first 12 miles last week were on land. By the end of the challenge, though, I expect to have 40+ miles on that thing.

Awesome!

Thanks! Making it was actually kinda motivating, and the only time thus far I wanted to get tossed around a bit. Showmanship, you know.

That video is fantastic! Although it was highly entertaining to me, I'm sure after the first 10 minutes or so the whole "world tilting" thing gets really old. For that, I really admire your perseverance and dedication to getting things done.

Yeah, it doesn't take 10 minutes...

That might be the best thing I have seen this week for multiple reasons: the rigged fan, the fact that you're able to run with the upped difficulty level, and Girl Talk! Nice work. 

Cool. That song is on my new 180 running playlist, and is the first one that came up when I started using it. Seemed kinda appropriate!

--

Well, today started out really really snotty. Like, the kind of bad where just taking two steps across the room gets risky. So I did not accomplish anything so far. However, we eventually gave up trying to get anywhere and have now tucked into a nice quiet bay and dropped anchor. I can go work out today after all. Woo.

Actually, I really am happy about a calm night for a change, because I noticed last night about halfway through a 40 minute tempo run that my legs were getting fatigued much more than they normally would. I hadn't expected this, but it kinda makes sense. We were experiencing a lot of heave yesterday – up and down, as opposed to the rolling seen in the video. This was putting a lot of extra stress on my legs. When the ship goes up, my weight increases and it takes more effort to push off. Then when the ship goes down, I'm sort-of falling, and landing with more impact. This kind of stuff is really interesting to me. I feel OK today, but I see the potential for injury doing this long term. Maybe I should sub in an extra day of cross training. Hmm.

• Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

Actually, I really am happy about a calm night for a change, because I noticed last night about halfway through a 40 minute tempo run that my legs were getting fatigued much more than they normally would. I hadn't expected this, but it kinda makes sense. We were experiencing a lot of heave yesterday – up and down, as opposed to the rolling seen in the video. This was putting a lot of extra stress on my legs. When the ship goes up, my weight increases and it takes more effort to push off. Then when the ship goes down, I'm sort-of falling, and landing with more impact. This kind of stuff is really interesting to me. I feel OK today, but I see the potential for injury doing this long term. Maybe I should sub in an extra day of cross training. Hmm.

It sounds as though you have inadvertently stumbled upon a new training method to train your stabilizer muscles more completely and add in some additional strength training as you run. I predict marathoners will be purchasing rocking treadmills in the near future to capture these benefits. ;)

I'm also glad I'm not the only one with a 180 playlist for running. I need to add some songs to mine, however, as I only have about 50 minutes and have to repeat it on longer runs.

tinkerer

Yesterday was a scheduled rest day for me, but we were still sitting at anchor all day, so part of me felt really guilty about wasting a day of suitable running conditions. But, I also felt like I needed the break, so I did not run. I did however, seize the opportunity to knock out another 100 push-ups, 160 crunches and a good yoga session – all things which are much easier when gravity is cooperating. :tongue:  I also managed three consecutive pull-ups, which is a first for me.

I'm also glad I'm not the only one with a 180 playlist for running. I need to add some songs to mine, however, as I only have about 50 minutes and have to repeat it on longer runs.

This is something new for me – I started it when I started on the treadmill. Mine has about 2h:15 right now, with more to add, so it is growing. There's some good lists on the web.

That is seriously impressive, I can't imagine how aggravating that is...and hurl inducing. 

I appreciate my dry (ish) land runs so much more now!

As do I. :lol: Thanks!

Level 11 Sea Dragon

After watching the video, I'm so glad I'm on land. Your determination during training will definitely help you in any race you enter. You're awesome. 

I think you are missing a golden opportunity here for some scientific research grants. Such as studying are there any benefits to running with the world tilting in random directions? Will a body trained in such an environment perform better in the long run? :)

• Like 1

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

Will a body trained in such an environment perform better in the long run? :)

Long run, indeed! 6 miles on the treadmill tonight, which is the longest on my training plan while at sea, so thankfully that's out of the way. It wasn't too brutal or boring – we were in flat happy waters, and I was glad to take advantage. Actually, this whole week has worked out much better than the first, as far as the treadmill goes. I also got another set of three pull-ups done (just five minutes ago), and another good dumbbell workout yesterday. I decided that I wanted to step up the weights to three days a week from two, so I did a bit of research and came up with a third routine to work some different muscles. I'm nice and sore today – which I always love, for some weird reason – so I'm happy with the choice.

Week 2 Summary

Run

44 miles total, minimum goal of 40

So thanks to the early 12 miles on land, I've already met the minimum goal I set. Let's see how close I can get to the 80ish that my plan calls for. I'm somehow feeling op-ti-mis-tic...

Push, pull, sit

pushups - 340 total, goal of 720

crunches - 560 total, goal of 1200

Not quite halfway on these, but close. Gotta step it up.

pull-ups - 12 total, goal of 20

This one, I got this.

Stretch

16 points total, goal of 24

Weights

9 points total, goal of 16

OK, now that's out of the way, I think we need another fun post...soon...

• Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

I also sometimes get the guilty feelings whenever a rest day comes around. Usually, though, I can find ways to quiet them by stretching or doing some slight exercising, like you did. Keep up the good work. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

So, let me tell you about my boat!

ead521eceeff9907c1244d45265c7b50.jpg

For a few different reasons, I don't want to give too many personally identifying specifics, so I'm not going to name the boat. You're welcome to call it the Belafonte if you like.

This is my boat.

od.belafonte.jpg

We do many different scientific activities on this boat. Right now, we are looking for pollock.

pollock.jpg

These are pollock. They're pretty gross. If you eat fish, you've probably eaten pollock and just didn't know that's what it was – think fish sticks, surimi, or filet-o-fish sandwiches. By weight, pollock make up the largest fishery in the US. That's why we care about them.

wheelhouse.jpg

This is the bridge. This is where our hard working, dedicated :lol: deck officers try to steer us away from the rocks and towards the fish. They're supposedly very intelligent, though I've never seen any evidence of it.*

science_console.jpg

These fancy screens are linked to the sophisticated instruments that help the scientists (actual smart people) find and catch the fish. Look at all those fish!!

back_deck_net.jpg

This is the fishing deck. That's the net just before we put it in the water. It's gonna be so full of fish – I can't wait!

fish_lab.jpg

This is the fish lab. See, I told you there would be a lot of fish. In here, we measure the fish, weigh the fish, and ask them lots of very personal questions. They seem to enjoy it – it is, after all, for science. Everybody loves science!

This is me, hard at work...

bundled_for_business.jpg

...and this is my office, where I read NF and generally idle away my time.

desk_view.jpg

Speaking of which, that's all the time I have today. I hope you've enjoyed this brief tour. Maybe another time I'll share with you some of the other more exciting places on board, like the laundry room, the sauna, or the bar.

*Actual movie quote, about the dolphins. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

• Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

Ooooo thanks for the boat tour!!!   I'd prefer to see the bar over the laundry room, if it is all the same to you :P 

How many people keep you company on board?  Do you know them very well already?  And which film do your gifs come from?

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...