Salty Lives the Life Aquatic

SaltyDragon

Ooooo thanks for the boat tour!!!   I'd prefer to see the bar over the laundry room, if it is all the same to you :tongue:

How many people keep you company on board?  Do you know them very well already?  And which film do your gifs come from?

The film is Wes Anderson's The Life Aquatic. Bill Murray plays a sort-of has-been Jauques Cousteau type, bent on hunting down the creature that ate his best friend. It's kind of required viewing for anyone who works at sea. It's also kind of an unexpectedly cool tribute to David Bowie.

tumblr_msyaad7V2v1s9816mo2_r1_500.gif

There can be anywhere from 20 to 40 people on board, depending on what we have going on. Many of them I know far better than I'd care to. :o And just joking about the bar...we definitely don't have one of those, not even for pull-ups!

-------------

An unhappy ending to what I thought was a promising day, today. Conditions were calm and pleasant all day during my shift, but wouldn't you know, as soon as I got on the treadmill for a scheduled 4.5 mile run, things took a turn. This boat has some real nasty ride characteristics, and they came out tonight. A couple miles in, the ride started to get really jerky and erratic, and I was like a pinball bouncing off the rails. Somewhere after three miles, I wound up tripping the safety cut-off (which wasn't even attached to me) and the machine reset and I lost my place. After much cursing, I got it restarted, did another mile and a quarter and called it good.

Yesterday was better. Calm conditions, 3.1 miles, 100 pushups, 160 crunches, morning yoga and a dumbbell workout. Whew. Me sore today!

• Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Keep fighting the good fight. Your running conditions have inspired me to appreciate my own running environment. Whenever I think it's too windy/cold/pretty to run, I just think "If SaltyDragon is running on a treadmill on a boat in choppy waters, then I can run on a road no matter the weather."

Also, I loved seeing pics of your habitat. Go Team Zissou!

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

Introduction Battle Log Current Challenge

Previous Challenges: I, II, III, IV, VVI, VII, VIII, IX, X, XI

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

OuNkxgmqFFzc4.gif

It's been a really busy week for the most part, and all the workouts on top of the 12 days are catching up to me. Sleep is definitely lacking, but there's only five more days to go. Despite the weather, which continues to be lousy, I've been mostly keeping up with workouts, if not keeping up on the forum. This is partly due to the weather being bad enough that we had to spend another day and a half hiding from it. We don't normally have to do that this often.

I'll catch up posting about my progress soon, and hopefully on reading everyone else's threads, too. For now, I thought I'd continue the tour with the best thing on this boat...

THE ESPRESSO MACHINE.

espresso_machine_4364.JPG

Some days, it can be your best friend. I've started to really bond with this thing, so I've decided to make my own little mini-challenge out of it and try to perfect the art of the latte. I've got one week of intermittent internet and unlimited beans. Here's today's attempt. It's my best so far – I think I'm getting the "micro foam" bit figured out. Yeah, this should be fun.

latte01_4363.JPG

Just to be clear, though...

don't ask us where we got the machine.

14fj7d01wG2sw0.gif

• Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

I can't give over the fact that there is even a selection of syrups!  Who decided what to bring on this ship?  :P

Weather is too bad for work, but not bad enough to stop you working out - keep it up!

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

Week Three Summary

As exhaustion sets in...

Run

66.3 miles total, min goal of 40 (ideal target of 80)

There's 15ish miles on the schedule between now and thurs. so 80 miles could actually happen. Then again, I've been working mostly 12 hr days for 22 days straight – and training hard – so I'm not kidding about the exhaustion. Plus, the weather gets fuuugly on Tuesday. I'll do my best.

Push, pull, sit
pushups - 490 total, goal of 720
crunches - 800 total, goal of 1200

pullups - 15 total, goal of 20

Pull-ups are on pace. The rest I'm still behind on. What usually happens is I get a morning set in, but then fatigue, seasickness, weather, whatever...all keep me from wanting to do the evening set. I've got a lot to do in four days – gonna have to push hard.

Stretch
21 points total, goal of 24

Technically all good here, but I feel like I've been slacking. It's getting just too hard to get out of bed early enough.

Weights
15 points total, goal of 16

I'm sooo tired. Also really tired of being on a boat. We're getting close, though. My last day at sea is also the last day of the challenge, so technically only three full days left. Thursday I can run on actual earth. Then I can go eat actual food. I don't know which of those will be better, but I am excited to find out.

tumblr_m28kp3IqFZ1rrfiwuo3_r1_500.gif

• Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

59 minutes ago, tinkerer said:

Maybe it's cheating, but I always give myself four full weeks for a "Four Week Challenge". Would it help you to achieve your goals if you went through Sunday?

Best of luck with the weather tomorrow!

I do think it's weird that the four week challenges aren't really four weeks, but I realized today that the challenge runs through Friday. I was thinking Thursday probably because that's when this cruise ends. Anyway, that gives me another full day – not at sea – so I'm much more comfortable with things. Saturday is a long travel day, so I probably wouldn't do much else. Sunday, though, is a planned 6 mile run (and I finally won't have to worry about the weather!!!).

The thing is, my goals are pretty much things that I want to be doing challenge or not, so I'm still going to keep doing what I'm doing now. The arbitrary deadlines of the challenge just add interest and excitement. I kinda like having to turn up and crank it out in the end!

Level 11 Sea Dragon

I'm catching up on my reading while waiting for gigs of video to load for a client. Might as well multi-task, right? 

I loved the tour of your boat and your job. It answered a ton of questions I had. Your pictures equal 1,000s of words. Thanks for posting that.

I hope the weather cooperates for you. Overall, I think you have achieved superhero status this round because you plowed through many obstacles that literally got in your way. I admire your dedication.

Enjoy land when your feet hit it. I'm sure it'll be a treat to have a ground that doesn't move. :) 

Gotta go. It looks like something crashed. Gotta love tech...

• Like 1

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]

With our mission nearing its end, we got reports today of some fluorescent snapper in the area,

fluorescentsnapper_0148.JPG

which is a sign that the jaguar shark might be close by! We decided to send one of our divers down into the net to investigate. He managed to send the following image back up to us before we lost track of him.

sharkinthenet.jpg

So we set to work reeling in the nets, and before long...

Success!

sharkondeck_1588.jpg

OK, so it's not a jaguar shark after all, but we didn't really care. Unfortunately however, we were out of dynamite. So we shed a few tears, and let the beast go. With our mission completed, we can begin our journey home.

----------

Meanwhile, in the real world, I've accomplished almost nothing towards my goals since Monday. Sure, I can blame it on the intense weather and fatigue. I also lost one of my few spaces to workout – where I was best able to do my yoga, push-ups and such – thanks to a really, really, really disgusting roommate-related incident. Yeah, it's been that kind of trip. But it ends tomorrow, and I fly away on Saturday, so I'm as optimistic as I can be.

I am, at least, honing some mad latte skills. B)

Level 11 Sea Dragon

At least your making gains in some areas. Sorry to hear about the "incident." Even though you say that not a whole lot of progress has been made since Monday, look at how far you've come since just this challenge has started. And congrats on flying out soon. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

"Scars are not injuries...A scar is a healing. After injury, a scar is what makes you whole."

China Miéville, The Scar

Back on land!!! Morning yoga and a 6 mile run this afternoon, all without anything tipping over. I'm way behind now on pushups and crunches, so I've got some work to do tomorrow.

-----------

Also, got my mail today, and this is what came. I'm so excited, and it's just too cool not to share...

DRAGON SHOES!!!!

OMG_DRAGONSHOES%2521_6364.jpg

• Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

On 3/23/2016 at 5:39 PM, Jayniana Jones said:

I'm catching up on my reading while waiting for gigs of video to load for a client. Might as well multi-task, right? 

I loved the tour of your boat and your job. It answered a ton of questions I had. Your pictures equal 1,000s of words. Thanks for posting that.

I hope the weather cooperates for you. Overall, I think you have achieved superhero status this round because you plowed through many obstacles that literally got in your way. I admire your dedication.

Enjoy land when your feet hit it. I'm sure it'll be a treat to have a ground that doesn't move. :) 

Gotta go. It looks like something crashed. Gotta love tech...

Ooooh, I feel your frustration. Now that the cruise is over, I've got gigs of data to upload over vsat internet. It's not going well. :angry:

Glad you enjoyed the pics. It's a lightly fictionalized (for fun's sake) glimpse of what we do out here, though it's not always all fish, all the time. We also do buoys, oceanography, marine mammals, invertebrates and zooplankton. The variety is nice, and most of it is not nearly so messy.

Thanks for the encouraging words. Good luck with your video. What do you do with it, editing? Publishing? (Sorry if you've said and I don't remember).

16 hours ago, Jormungand said:

At least your making gains in some areas. Sorry to hear about the "incident." Even though you say that not a whole lot of progress has been made since Monday, look at how far you've come since just this challenge has started. And congrats on flying out soon. 

Yeah, I've learned a lot, for sure. I'll have more to say on that tomorrow. In the meantime, thanks for all the support!

• Like 2

Level 11 Sea Dragon

7 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

Also, got my mail today, and this is what came. I'm so excited, and it's just too cool not to share...

DRAGON SHOES!!!!

OMG_DRAGONSHOES%2521_6364.jpg

Nice! Are the insoles as cool in reality as they look in the pics? I have a pair of Brooks Ghost 8 that I've been breaking in the past few months. I love mine. I had a pair of Ghost 2 that I wore forever. I'm interested to see how their other shoes handle. 

• Like 1

Level 13 Human Assassin

China Miéville, The Scar

Good luck tomorrow finishing out all of those goals! Regardless of the outcome, I think you can rest soundly knowing that you posted the very coolest (and due to the gimball: nerdiest) treadmill running video on NF this time around.

In all seriousness, I'm really impressed with your dedication over the last couple of challenges. What will the next month bring? Do you head out on another cruise or are you headed for warmer climates and calmer seas?

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Today has been super busy with last-minute work stuff and packing, but I think I managed to finish pretty strong. All day I did 100 pushups, 160 crunches, 6 pullups (a single-day best), and a 4.2 mile run with post stretching. All on 5 hours sleep. I'll post a challenge write-up tomorrow, 'cause right now, I'm just tired.

28 minutes ago, tinkerer said:

What will the next month bring? Do you head out on another cruise or are you headed for warmer climates and calmer seas?

Haven't quite worked this out yet. I'm doing a 10k on the 16th, so there's that, but I will also be traveling the entire time. Not at sea any, so that'll be good, but some activities will be limited. There might even be another epic road trip. Whatever I decide, it will be another adventure, I'm sure.

15 hours ago, Jormungand said:

Nice! Are the insoles as cool in reality as they look in the pics? I have a pair of Brooks Ghost 8 that I've been breaking in the past few months. I love mine. I had a pair of Ghost 2 that I wore forever. I'm interested to see how their other shoes handle.

Oh, yeah...there be dragons on the insoles, too! I can't comment on the Ghost, and I haven't even run in the Launch yet, but I've had a pair of Glycerins for the past year, and I've liked them very much. I'm excited to see how I like some of their other models.

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

OK, I'm finally getting to my wrap-up!

I'm gonna call the whole thing a success. I met or surpassed most of the goals, and didn't give up on anything. The limiting factor in the end was fatigue. I've been working 12 hour/7 day shifts for a long time now, but this was the first time I've kept an intense workout schedule at the same time. I was averaging about 5 hours of sleep a day, which isn't enough, and probably affected my training progress. But now I know more about what's possible.

Here's the stats...

On 2/27/2016 at 8:48 PM, SaltyDragon said:

Run
Stick to the training plan, which will almost all have to be on the treadmill (boo!), sea conditions permitting. The plan consists of about 80 miles in workouts during this time, but it is still winter in Alaska – I've got to play this one conservative. I'll set the goal at 40 miles, and really really hope for better. To help out, I'm gonna get a headstart with a long run this weekend, and as much as I can on land before we depart on the 23 day adventure cruise on Wednesday.

Total 79.7 miles. The breakdown is 22.2 on land, and the remaining 57.5 on the treadmill at sea. So the 40 mile minimum was easily met, and I was also overall very pleased with how well I was able to keep to the training plan. I lost it only on the last week, missing speedwork entirely and subbing in two six-milers, if you include today's (which is not counted in the above mileage).

Push, Pull, Sit
720 Push-ups
1200 Crunches
20 Pull-ups
Just a slight bump to last month's numbers for this one – stick with what's working.

Pushups 620 total

Crunches 1010 total

Pullups 21 total

Success on the pullups, and really only a good day away from the rest. By the last week, I was just tired of having to fight the boat to do something as simple as a pushup. I guess I breaking point is for workouts at sea.

Stretch
Going to make this one more yoga-centric this time. 2 points for 30 min of yoga practice, 1 point for shorter or stretching only. 24 points total.

24 points total. A clear victory, but this one too, suffered at the end.

Weights
2 points for 20 min of weight training, 1 point for a good-try effort. I may look at some new routines, or just stick with what I've been doing and keep increasing the weight. 16 points total.

16 points total, another win, and I'm also happy with the progress I made here. I just started incorporating the weights last challenge, starting small, and adding on weight each week. About midway through this challenge, I had finally worked up to some productive weights, and I can definitely notice a difference.

--------------

Yesterday was really long and my luggage still hasn't arrived. Today has been better. I got in a sweaty six mile run, and what can I say, the dragon shoes are awesome!

So I'm just starting to plan out the next challenge. It'll probably be mostly aimed at maintenance and coping with travel every week. One thing I really do hope I can do better with this time is keep up with everyone else's threads. The work schedule last month made that pretty hard, and I think that's half the fun!

• Like 3

Level 11 Sea Dragon

16 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

I'm gonna call the whole thing a success. I met or surpassed most of the goals, and didn't give up on anything. The limiting factor in the end was fatigue. I've been working 12 hour/7 day shifts for a long time now, but this was the first time I've kept an intense workout schedule at the same time. I was averaging about 5 hours of sleep a day, which isn't enough, and probably affected my training progress. But now I know more about what's possible.

As you should! You've accomplished a lot despite difficult circumstances! Fatigue is a killer though...I get frustrated at our society telling us that working hard and getting in your workouts despite a 12 hour workday and only 5 hours of sleep is commendable. It is, I guess, in the short term but over months or years that kind of thing will seriously affect your life!

16 hours ago, SaltyDragon said:

So I'm just starting to plan out the next challenge. It'll probably be mostly aimed at maintenance and coping with travel every week.

Is there a way to incorporate your goals into your travels? Examples - run XX distance in each of 4 states or find a creative pullup bar option at every location to which I travel?

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

On 28/03/2016 at 5:29 PM, SaltyDragon said:

Oooooh, almost forgot...

latte_skills_4392.JPG

Well this is beautiful, you crazy mad latter!   Well done on this challenge - I can't believe you did so much on 5 hours sleep a night and on a frigging boat the whole time!!!   P.S. Thanks for the boat tour - I thoroughly enjoyed it.  :)

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

On 3/28/2016 at 11:35 AM, tinkerer said:

Is there a way to incorporate your goals into your travels? Examples - run XX distance in each of 4 states or find a creative pullup bar option at every location to which I travel?

This is pretty much what I'm doing. I noticed last year that I had recorded miles in 9 different states. I was hoping to make double digits, but it didn't happen. This year, I'll do it!

18 hours ago, Talvi said:

Well this is beautiful, you crazy mad latter!   Well done on this challenge - I can't believe you did so much on 5 hours sleep a night and on a frigging boat the whole time!!!   P.S. Thanks for the boat tour - I thoroughly enjoyed it.  :)

Thanks! I mostly had fun with it. That machine is gonna be the only thing I miss. BTW, I followed you on instagram, so you can find me (I haven't decided yet if I want my social media links up on this site).

-------

My new challenge is finally up.

• Like 1

Level 11 Sea Dragon

Congrats on your success. I'm still in awe of your workout conditions and how you triumph despite some major obstacles. This next round take care of yourself in the sleep department. See you in the next thread. :) 

BTW: I design websites. My client had a ton of videos made and my job was to post the videos on the site. I didn't have to edit them thank goodness. They were about how to use your TV, your remote, and all the cable features. Very slideshow like presentations. 

Druid - Assassin - Adventurer Level 18

Challenges: [Current
[18} [17] [16] [15] [14] [13] [12] [11] [10] [9] [8] [7] [6] [5] [4] [3] [ 2 ] [ 1 ]