AthenaMM Recuperates

AthenaMM

I tweaked my elbow during the last challenge. It hasn't been bad, but kettlebells and other exercises have kept it sore and it still hasn't healed. This challenge I'm going to focus on exercising every day, but leave the type of exercise open so that I can tailor it to whatever I need/am capable of while still letting the elbow heal. I'm also going to do stretching and mobility work because I know that part of the elbow pain is from it stiffening up. I'm going to keep the 10,000 step average quest because that keeps me moving and doesn't affect my elbow.

Quest 1: Exercise 7 days a week. This can be anything, walking, yoga, kettlebells, other strength training or whatever. If I need some down time a 5 min walk or 20 squats also counts.

Measurement: A = 24-26 workouts, B = 21-23 workouts, C = 18-20 workouts, D = 15-17 workouts 

Quest 2: Stretching or mobility work 7 days a week. I want to make sure that I'm doing this enough to actually help so I have to do at least 10 minutes of this.

Measurement: A = 24-26 times, B = 21-23 times, C = 18-20 times, D = 15-17 times

Quest 3: To make sure that I'm moving enough, I want to average 10,000 steps every week.

Measurement: A = Average 10,000 steps all 4 weeks, B = Avg 10,000 for 3 weeks, D = Avg 10,000 for 2 weeks

Life Quest: I'm going to continue the morning routine quest. Doing this every morning makes a huge difference in how my day goes and I got a little off track the last few days. I want this to be a habit that happens every day without any thought at all.

Measurement: A = 24-26 times, F = 23 or less times

• Like 5

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

Of course I'm here, where else would I be?  

What is your morning routine?  

Love the 7 days/wk of movement, whatever it is. Too many people try to set a schedule and when the schedule doesn't allowed the scheduled activity, they do nothing.  There should always be a plan B, C, and D.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

I'll be stepping along with you!!!

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Looks good. I like the plan to  have some freedom in your workouts to give your elbow a rest.

Thanks. Yeah, I tried all kinds of stuff during the last challenge to try to get it to heal, but nothing worked so I'm going to have to actually let it rest.  :tongue:

Followed for rehab work and kettlebells. :)

Thanks! I'm definitely hoping to get back to kettlebells soon.

Of course I'm here, where else would I be?  

What is your morning routine?  

Love the 7 days/wk of movement, whatever it is. Too many people try to set a schedule and when the schedule doesn't allowed the scheduled activity, they do nothing.  There should always be a plan B, C, and D.

My morning routine is kind of long and split into two parts. It includes walking the dog, brushing my teeth and washing my face, emptying the dishwasher, making the bed, picking up in general, doing that day's housework chore, anything on my todo list and exercising. I still do most of those things even if I don't do the morning routine, but if I do it as part of the routine the rest of day goes much smoother. I was doing the 7 days of exercise before and still mostly doing it after I started doing kettlebells 5 days. I got a little lazy once I started the kettlebells and missed some occasionally.

Your challenge goals look good. I'll be following along, too.

Thanks!

Following along again!

Glad to have you!

Following!  I wanted to ask, what do you do to get 10,000 steps in most days?  Do you have an active job and walk as well?  I find I'm on my feet a lot but I don't actually move around as much as I thought.

I'm home every day and I try to be up and moving for most of it. I do have days (particularly when I'm doing a lot of food prep/cooking) where I'm on my feet a lot, but I don't get very many steps. On those days I'll usually hop on the treadmill and watch a tv show I really like to make up the difference.

I'll be stepping along with you!!!

Excellent!

• Like 1

Battle Log

Day 1 - Monday, February 29, 2016

Quest 1: I did the darebee Plan B workout today. I did 3 sets with 1-2 min of rest between sets. None of these bothered my elbow (I used a high incline for the push-ups to be safe) so it seemed like a good strength workout to start with.

• 20 bodyweight squats
  • 20 calf raises
  • 20 side leg raises
  • 10 incline push-ups
  • 10 crunches
  • 10 bridges

Quest 2: Since I was looking around on darebee anyway, I found some stretching workouts there too. Today I did the one aptly named Stretching! I held all the stretches for 30 sec and did the routine twice for a total of 6 min. Then I spent 5 min trying some arm and elbow stretches that I found online that are supposed to help with tennis elbow. I'm still not sure that's what my actual problem is, but it can't hurt. That gave me a total of 11 minutes of stretching. 

Quest 3: I have around 11,600 steps right now, so on track here as well. It was one of my twice monthly grocery trips today, but one of the stores I usually go to closed a couple of weeks ago so I won't be getting as many steps on these.  :(  I finished the day with 11,832 steps.

Life Quest: Did my morning routine though the first part was before groceries and the second part was after I got back.

• Like 2

Battle Log

Can't remember if you go to a gym.  If you do, the lat machine is a good way to work the chest w/o bringing the elbows in to play.

"Stretching" - Probably would not sell a lot of books w/ that name but it's to the point. 

Many, many people quit working out whenever something stops them from their regular plan or desired w/o routine.  The fact that you came up with Plan B when you couldn't do Plan A shows real commitment.  It's easy to move fwd when everything is going well.  One measure of greatness is the ability to move fwd when adversity strikes.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Day 1 - Monday, February 29, 2016

Quest 1: I did the darebee Plan B workout today. I did 3 sets with 1-2 min of rest between sets. None of these bothered my elbow (I used a high incline for the push-ups to be safe) so it seemed like a good strength workout to start with.

• 20 bodyweight squats
  • 20 calf raises
  • 20 side leg raises
  • 10 incline push-ups
  • 10 crunches
  • 10 bridges

Quest 2: Since I was looking around on darebee anyway, I found some stretching workouts there too. Today I did the one aptly named Stretching! I held all the stretches for 30 sec and did the routine twice for a total of 6 min. Then I spent 5 min trying some arm and elbow stretches that I found online that are supposed to help with tennis elbow. I'm still not sure that's what my actual problem is, but it can't hurt. That gave me a total of 11 minutes of stretching. 

Quest 3: I have around 11,600 steps right now, so on track here as well. It was one of my twice monthly grocery trips today, but one of the stores I usually go to closed a couple of weeks ago so I won't be getting as many steps on these.  :(

Life Quest: Did my morning routine though the first part was before groceries and the second part was after I got back.

That looks like a good routine. Mobility work and stretching are becoming the basis of my workouts.

I hope you find relief for your elbow.

• Like 2

Can't remember if you go to a gym.  If you do, the lat machine is a good way to work the chest w/o bringing the elbows in to play.

"Stretching" - Probably would not sell a lot of books w/ that name but it's to the point. 

Many, many people quit working out whenever something stops them from their regular plan or desired w/o routine.  The fact that you came up with Plan B when you couldn't do Plan A shows real commitment.  It's easy to move fwd when everything is going well.  One measure of greatness is the ability to move fwd when adversity strikes.

Thanks, peelout! I work out at home, so no lat machine. It may take a little trial and error to figure out what will and will not bother my elbow, but I'll get there. One thing I've learned over the last couple of years is that I know how to be persistent. It doesn't matter how many times you fall down, only how many times you get back up!

That looks like a good routine. Mobility work and stretching are becoming the basis of my workouts.

I hope you find relief for your elbow.

I think I'm really going to enjoy the stretching, etc. I'm sure it's going to be part of my normal routine from now on.

Great day 1. Keep up that mobility work.

Thanks!

Battle Log

Day 2 - Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Quest 1: I was a little sore today, so I skipped strength training. Instead I jogged for 20 minutes. Well I jogged for 16 minutes with a 2 minute warm-up and cool-down. I've never been much of a runner and this was probably pretty close to my limit. I was actually pleased that I kept it up for that long.

Quest 2: I think I overdid the stretching of my elbow yesterday, it's a little achy today. It's different than the pain I've been having, though. I also have a sore shoulder that has nothing to do with kettlebells or any other exercise. I sleep on that shoulder most of the time and I also think sitting at the computer aggravates it. So I did the 10 minute Shoulder Mobility session in NerdFitness Yoga. I'm not sure if it will help the sore shoulder, but it felt awesome in general. I'll definitely be doing that one again!

Quest 3: I have over 12,000 steps right now, so still doing well here, too. I finished the day with 12,485 steps.

Life Quest: I did my morning routine as well.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Then I spent 5 min trying some arm and elbow stretches that I found online that are supposed to help with tennis elbow. I'm still not sure that's what my actual problem is, but it can't hurt.

I suffered from the other side, golfer's elbow, last year.  I can't speak to tennis elbow, but in the end the thing that got rid of my elbow pain was just flat-out taking 4-5 months off from challenging pulling exercises.  It sucked to take that time off pulling, but it was better than being in pain every day.  Elbow's all better now.

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

I love that mobility shoulder from GMB, I do at  least part of it almost every day. 16 minutes of jogging is impressive.

Thanks, it felt impressive to me! The NF Yoga shoulder session is definitely awesome. I didn't do it today because my legs were a little stiff so I did a more full body thing, but I'm pretty sure I'm doing it again tomorrow.

I suffered from the other side, golfer's elbow, last year.  I can't speak to tennis elbow, but in the end the thing that got rid of my elbow pain was just flat-out taking 4-5 months off from challenging pulling exercises.  It sucked to take that time off pulling, but it was better than being in pain every day.  Elbow's all better now.

Yikes! I REALLY hope it doesn't take 4-5 months but I'm going to give it as much time as it takes to heal. It's already feeling better and I think I've got a handle on the stretches that help it most. I've been doing those a few times a day and avoiding anything that uses the elbow too much. I don't think I'd realized that it was pulling exercises that cause the problems, but you're right. Kettlebell swings ARE pulling exercises and that's what started it and carrying things is what is causing pain right now. That gives me a better idea of what to avoid, so thank you!

• Like 1

Battle Log

Day 3 - Wednesday, March 2, 2016

After my workout today I was totally worn out. I kind of forgot that I do best when I don't do too many intense workouts back to back. I'm going to keep that in mind when I decide what workouts to do for the rest of the challenge. This also made me realize that apparently my kettlebell workout isn't very intense. That isn't a bad thing, but maybe I should do a more intense one once or twice a week when I start back with the kettlebells.

Quest 1: I did the darebee Plan B workout again today. I did 3 sets with 2 min of rest between sets. This seems to be a good choice of workout right now. It doesn't bother my elbow and it's still challenging. Added to that I'm a little sore the next day so it's working muscles I haven't been working or at least working them differently.

• 20 bodyweight squats
  • 20 calf raises
  • 20 side leg raises
  • 10 incline push-ups
  • 10 crunches
  • 10 bridges

Quest 2: I did a different stretching routine today. I found it online at some point and saved it because it stretches the whole body. It has 10 stretches and I held each one for 30 seconds on each side for a total of 10 minutes.

Quest 3: I finished the day with 10,376 steps. I was too tired to get any extra today. 

Life Quest: I did my morning routine.

Day 4 - Thursday, March 3, 2016

I was really tired yesterday evening, but I couldn't seem to stay asleep last night and I woke up today feeling even worse. I was already planning to take it easy with the workout and I ended up taking it easy with the whole day for the most part. I also took a nap and I feel better this evening. I took the nap early enough that I shouldn't have trouble sleeping tonight (I hope).

Quest 1: I took a 30 minute walk. I needed this to get enough steps today anyway.

Quest 2: My legs were a little stiff from the workout yesterday so I did the same stretching routine I did yesterday. I held all 10 stretches for 30 seconds on each side for a total of 10 minutes.

Quest 3: I have over 10,000 steps right now. I'll have to make sure I get extra the next couple of days. I finished with 10,207 steps.

• Like 3

Battle Log

Day 5 - Friday, March 4, 2016

I was still really worn out today and I don't know why. When I first got up I felt fine and much better than I had yesterday. But as soon as I started doing stuff I felt totally worn down again. I took it easy again and took another nap. I'm hoping I just didn't sleep all that well last night.

Quest 1: I took a 20 minute walk.

Quest 2: I did the NF Yoga shoulder mobility session again. It's 10 minutes long.

Quest 3: I got 11,971 steps. I didn't need the walk to hit my steps, but it helped me get extra. Now I don't need many tomorrow.

Day 6 - Saturday, March 5, 2016

My energy level was back to normal today. Not sure what was up, but at least it's done.

Quest 1: I did the darebee Plan B workout again. I did 3 sets with 1-2 min of rest between sets. 

• 20 bodyweight squats
  • 20 calf raises
  • 20 side leg raises
  • 10 incline push-ups
  • 10 crunches
  • 10 bridges

Quest 2: I did the NF Yoga Perfect Posture session which was 5 minutes and the NF Yoga Wrist Mobility session which was 6 minutes. I hadn't tried either of these, so I thought I would see what they were like. The posture one wasn't really a stretching or mobility session, but I'm counting it anyway since I didn't know that going in. I think the wrist one might be good for my elbow which was why I tried it. My elbow is sore today actually because I ended up carrying the dog around on that arm yesterday (long story involving an aggressive neighborhood dog and me trying to get mail out of the mailbox).

Quest 3: I have a little over 10,200 steps right now which is all I need to average 10,000 for the week. My fitbit battery completely died today for no reason, so I'm actually missing a couple of hours of steps. I didn't need too many today anyway so I'm just writing those off. I finished with 10,334 steps.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Maybe it was written in one of your previous challenges, but do you have an end goal for where you want you want to be.  I was just curious sense because most people that are consistent over a long period (like you) have some vision of what they are doing this for such as:

Lift really heavy wts,

Reduce body wt so a specific point,

Climb better,

Kayak till they're 80 (me),

etc.

Do you have anything that is drawing you to it or just seeking general fitness. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

I hope you can get your elbow feeling better.

I don't remember if I've mentioned Eric Cressey; he's a trainer who specializes in shoulders, elbows, and wrists. He has a lot of articles on t-nation; you might find something to help.

http://ericcressey.com/

Thanks! I'll check out that website!

Maybe it was written in one of your previous challenges, but do you have an end goal for where you want you want to be.  I was just curious sense because most people that are consistent over a long period (like you) have some vision of what they are doing this for such as:

Lift really heavy wts,

Reduce body wt so a specific point,

Climb better,

Kayak till they're 80 (me),

etc.

Do you have anything that is drawing you to it or just seeking general fitness. 

You know, I think you just made me realize why I've hit such a plateau. I did have definite goals in the beginning. I wanted to have energy and be able to do things again. And I've gotten there, even though I haven't lost all the weight I wanted. So even though I know I want to lose more weight and be able to do other things (like a pull-up) I don't think I've made firm enough goals to motivate me to really go for it. I'm still exercising, moving a lot more and eating relatively healthy because those things are habits now (yay for habits!) but I haven't been putting forth the extra effort that's required to make more progress. So I'm going to be thinking very hard about this and when I have an answer, I'll let you know!

Glad you have your energy back! We have been battling allergies in my house and that can sap your mojo.

Maybe a good Epsom salt soak will help your elbow? I think you use KT tape too. I love that stuff.

I'm also battling allergies and that may very well be my problem. I'll try the Epsom salts, I hadn't thought of that. I have been using the KT tape after you suggested it and it is pretty cool. Taping the elbow is a little difficult, but when I get it right, it definitely helps.

Anything like Duct tape?  Duct tape fixes everything.

Not exactly, but I do think it fixes everything!  :tongue:

Battle Log