Theophilus Takes A Mulligan

theophilus

Wow. Totally hosed the last challenge. Not even close that time. Life, sickness, injury, it all got me. So, I'm going with a straight-up do-over.

Quest 1

Run 4x per week 3-4 miles each time. I have a 10k in March, so I may try to get in some longer distance runs toward the end of the challenge. But coming off a half marathon, I'm not too worried about the mileage, just want to stay fresh.

Quest 2

Eat food. Not to much. Mostly plants. I'm shamelessly coopting Michael Pollen's simple food advice for my challenge. Here's how it'll look for me:

• Eat Food - I will make my own food at home whenever I possibly can. (We're doing a pretty strict budget right now, so there's not much room for eating out anyhow. I want to batch prep 1 thing each week, either for breakfast or lunch to make it that much easier. If for some reason I must eat out, it's going to be real food: salads, a good sandwich. None of this fast food processed crap. Same goes for snacks.
  • Not too much - Cut down on snacking. I mindlessly snack a lot at work, and then it's usually one long snack sesh' from when I get home until dinner time. I'm going to plan healthy snacks and eat a designated number of them.
  • Mostly Plants - More veggies, less meat. I'm going to shoot for 10 servings of veggies/fruit per day (using 1/2 c. = 1 serving, except for leafy greens, 1 c. = 1 serving). As for less meat, at least one vegetarian dinner and two vegetarian lunches per week.

Quest 3

No Booze, redux. I tried this last time, and while I didn't fail miserably, I didn't exactly excel either. I want to be 100% booze-free for the next four weeks. I did it during a Whole 30 a couple years back, and I know I can do it again. The last week will be the hardest for this one, as drinking is kinda built into the culture of business trips. I'm hoping to lay a solid foundation the first three weeks so I won't want to screw it up on the final week.

Life Quest

LSAT gets rolling. My second Epic Quest as a NF-er, isn't fitness related but is a life quest. I really want to get into a top 3 law school (Harvard, Yale, Stanford) next application cycle. This would affirm a lot of what I've been thinking carrer- and life-wise over the past few years, really ever since I've been out of undergrad. To do that, I need to crush the LSAT. I did a decent job setting myself up to start studying last challenge, and I'm going fully after it this challenge. My goal these next four weeks: 1 timed practice test per week w/ "blind review." (For the uninitated, it's a way of taking the test and reviewing your answers to identify the areas you need to work on.) Long-term goal on this one is getting a 175+ on the June 2016 test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Chapter 25: Theophilus is Mostly Done

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

Volume 2: The Bar and the Bellwether (2021): 24 | 25

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

I was wondering what happened to you – welcome back! Obviously you've got determination on your side. You'll do great this time, and I'll be following.

btw, I hope you've peeked at my latest challenge...you provided the inspiration, so thank you!!

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Good work picking up where you left off. And good luck in the 10k!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

I was wondering what happened to you – welcome back! Obviously you've got determination on your side. You'll do great this time, and I'll be following.

btw, I hope you've peeked at my latest challenge...you provided the inspiration, so thank you!!

Thanks! And yes, I did spot your latest. Glad to have been of service! I'm truly flattered.

Volume 1: Meanderings (2015 - 2020): 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23

"May your curse in life be that your hard work is constantly mistaken for talent."

Off to a decent start this challenge.

Quest 1: No running just yet. I'm having the hardest time waking up early enough to run. I've been staying up way too late, so that's going to have to change.

Quest 2: Doing well here. We made a fantastic Trader Joe's run yesterday, so I'm stocked up with loads of good, healthy food for the week. I have a salad slated for today, with lots of veggie snacks. Also have snacks planned out, so I wont be going off the rails in that department either.

Quest 3: All good here.

Life Quest: Been drilling individual sections pretty consistently, and I'm starting to see some improvement. My last three sections untimed have gone anywhere from -0 to -2. If I can perform like that under the time constraints, I'll be golden. The next timed test I'll do will be this weekend.

Ooo, good call on the Trader Joe's. That's something I wish I had more of in my life. And yes, getting to bed earlier will help with getting up earlier, but it's also just a habit you have to get into. If I do it every day, it's easy for me. If I sleep in a couple days in a row, I'll revert! :-o

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Hello again! Slacking on the updates, but not totally slacking on the challenge. Here are some wins and losses from the challenge so far:

Wins:

- After a lackluster first week on running (as in, no runs), I'm back on track. I've logged two runs this week so far.

- I'm on travel for work this week, and made a grocery store run to start the week. I've been able to eat well, cut down on costs, and keep my veggie intake up.

- Snack game is strong. Eating mostly fruits, veggies, and nuts for snacks.

- I absolutely crushed an LSAT prep test last week.

Losses:

- Booze front is weak. Had two beers for my dad's b-day last week, and have imbibed two beers this week.

- Aside from the one test last week, I haven't been reviewing stuff daily.

Going to tighten up the tracking/reporting/updates as we move into the second half of week two.

• Like 1

Ooo, good call on the Trader Joe's. That's something I wish I had more of in my life. And yes, getting to bed earlier will help with getting up earlier, but it's also just a habit you have to get into. If I do it every day, it's easy for me. If I sleep in a couple days in a row, I'll revert! :-o

Totally true on the habit piece. My schedule is outta whack this week, so I'm actually trying to leverage that toward building that routine again. So far so good!

Tiny keyboard, clumsy fingers. Blame tapatalk.

• Like 1

Alright, hosed another one. I was able to get out running a bit more this last month, but totally lost track of the challenge. 2016 has been a rough one so far on the health front. I'm going to regroup and try to get back on track next challenge.