Chris swings the sword

ChrisWithaStick

Now with 1000 Elephants!!! 

err....cuts with the sword....

Read your Pratchett. 

Following hot on the heels of the last challenge.... is the last challenge.  I'm keeping the same primary goals, to whit:

It does you good to get out in the fresh air...

"We have swept well. Let's go to the gardens, for is it not written, 'It does you good to get out in the fresh air'?"

First assignment - get outside.  I have a yard to putter in and clean up during spring, an old, old maple I need to get some more mulch under (probably another 4 yards, if I actually want to get to the drip line), a park with trails under trees nearby, and well, it's Seattle- there's green space everywhere. 

+1 for a walk

+5 for general outdoor activity (cleaning up the yard, tending to some of the beds around the house, etc).

+10 (or more) for any possible big work - like mulching out to the dripline (that might be in the next challenge).

Minimum to pass - +20.

Practice, for out in the world

"We'll slice our way there," said Lu-Tze, and he stopped and turned.  "You think you can do that?"

"I've done it hundreds of times--" Lobsang began.

"Back in Oi Dong, yes," said Lu-Tze.  "But there's all kinds of checks and safeguards in the valley.  Oh, didn't you know that?  Slicing in Oi Dong is easy, lad.  It's different out here.  The air tries to get in the way, Do it wrong and the air is like a rock...."

Second assigment - Kata and Suburi.

This takes on some special meaning to me now.  I'll detail it more throughout the challenge, but essentially I'm receiving a teaching license in my martial art.  My training brother and I have been tasked with setting up the date and event, etc (we're both receiving license), I've got a lot of thoughts going on behind this one. 

In the dojo, with the familiar faces and small number of students we have, things are somewhat easy.  We know each others' faults and strengths.  It's helped learn how to 'see' as a teacher, but there's still so much to learn.  While it's not part of this challenge, a larger quest in this year will be establishing my own school, and navigating all that entails, and being ready for the real world of students I'm not familiar with.

So - Suburi  (cuts only) - +1 per session. Bonus point for naginata suburi, which will have to be outside.

Kata or waza practice - +1 per class or session at home. (certain techniques with the naginata can be done with a bo or don't go overhead, so can be done inside on rainy days).  

"Her house!  So amazing!  A palace!  New sheets every other week!  And cook?  Just to taste her Beans Baked Upon the Toast a man would give up a cycle of the universe!"  (Lu-Tze, expounding upon the Way of Mrs. Cosmopilite)

Third assignment - practice the Way of Mrs. Cosmopilite.  It's spring cleaning time folks.  Closets to empty, porches to clean, bokken to sand an oil, and all that jazz.  There are a lot of little projects to get done, and a few big ones, and it will help keep me from too much couch time.  +5 for project.

Also - cook often and healthy.  I'm not a bad cook.  Not amazing, but I enjoy what I make.  Need to just keep check on this habit.  More veggies, fewer leftovers, and using them up when there are. 

"Ook." 

Fourth assignment... Not sure yet.  Place holder if I think of something else.  Options include kettlebell fun, meditation, and duolingo (Spanish), or possibly something dance related.

Then again, I may just play with any or all of those.  Ook is a very useful language.  Unless otherwise specified, +1 for a useful activity (fun things included). 

I will just be using points for tracking, and may award bonus points as I see fit. 

• Like 2

Human | Plays with Sticks | Monkish Leanings | Rangerish Overtones

Occasionally Updated Facebook

Ooh, a spring cleaning challenge... very tempting.  Maybe I will turn my reluctant challenge goal into a project based challenge.

Also, yay for more Pratchett!

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Awesome challenge. You got the follow from me of course. Looking forward to it! 

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. - Calvin Coolidge (OG MOTIVATOR)

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Hmm, looks good. But will you get up and out this time? That is the question...

"Corporal Nobbs, That was a pertinent remark!"

Excellent question.  I at times have to have something in my head a long enough time that I basically say 'f-it' internally, and start doing the thing.  My free time is adjusting, and I'm having a bit of restlessness/tired of the current condition, and that usually leads to a change in action.   Cooking?  Easy, I have to eat and I'm cheap working on savings.  Suburi?  Also easy.  Walking?  Should be, but as stated, I have to get off my butt and get outside.

So, we'll see.  Keeping the goal in front of me, though.  Meditation is still somewhat on the back-burner.  Will be working more on focus and concentration with suburi. 

Awesome challenge. You got the follow from me of course. Looking forward to it! 

Awesome to have you along! 

Apropos nothing, I didn't get a walk in, but did get a short body weight set (push-ups/a-t-g squats, which luckily I have the hip mobility for), and extended suburi, along with a dancing warm-up courtesy of Salt-N-Peppa (DeadPool reacquainted me with some 90s hotness). 

So, +2 to start the week.  At some point, I should keep a running total. Would make things a lot easier.

In other news - teaching certificate embu is postponed.  My teacher's new job is being somewhat random with his schedule, including weekends, and it's a heavy project load (Network Infrastructure and installation), so...  since he's the one that has to hand us the certificates, we're kind of in holding.  Took a little pressure off for this spring, though, and I like having a little more time to polish. 

Speaking of...anyone know someone good at Japanese calligraphy, and, importantly, affordable?

• Like 1

Short check-in

Hooray for push-ups and squats!

Got another round in, although I need to warm up better if I'm going to do them in the morning.  +1 on those. 

+2 suburi sessions in the morning as well.

+2 for going to the dojo - Tonight was just me again.  Not that regular of an occurrence lately, so I decided to go and enjoy some personal study time.  Some light sword work (it's nice to do walking cuts, for a change), drills and drills, and a little play with moving from center and how connecting to the same plays into cuts with the naginata. 

Could you say more about sanding and oiling your boken? I have never done anything to mine. One of them is full of black marks from the bottom of my weapons bag and the finish is worn. How do you take care of yours?

Happy to. 

None of my weapons have the lacquer on them.  This includes spear, naginata, kama (for kusurigama) and tachi/bokken.  Our kata have a lot of contact, so our biggest concern is the wood drying out and splintering.  Splintering happens anyway, but oiling delays it.  I really want to experiment with a hickory bokken, since you can sort of temper the wood (flatten the fibers, so they don't splinter), but just haven't made the time to do so, and, well, they ain't inexpensive.

In our class, our naginata are hickory, spear is currently rock maple (we'll be looking for a new one soon), kama are red oak, swords are mostly white oak.  We have a couple of ipe weapons from before I started - we use those as nagamaki (ipe splinters when it ages - I do NOT recommend it). 

If a bokken has lacquer on it, we sand it off.   You want a medium grit paper, since heavy grit will score.  A medium fine can be used for light cleaning.  I would recommend doing this outside or someplace easily vacuumed. If you have any dust allergies, a light mask is your friend (basic woodworking safety applies here).  Sanding the lacquer off takes a little more time/effort - but sand till it's just smooth wood.  I'll see if I can find any left over sand paper, and let you know grit numbers.  I just buy little packs when needed. 

Maintenance sanding covers cleaning, smoothing out divots or damaged spots (not that likely if just dual bokken), and possibly removing the leading edge of a lifting flake (those can be glued down - you just want to sand the glued spot even when it dries).  A medium fine grit is usually good.  You don't want to use a fine or better on the hilt at least, since it can make it too smooth (slippery at speed).  Cleaning is just light sanding to get dirt and hand-oil off the surface (the wood looks more 'fresh').  It helps the oil penetrate. 

After sanding, wipe the excess dust off (re-purposed worn out tee-shirts work well).  Then you oil.  We use basic mineral oil like you find at the drug store (in the laxative section, which I find comical for some reason).  Again - do this some place easy to clean up drips, or get a good drop cloth. I tend to go heavy on initial coats - pour a little in the palm of my and then apply.  Alternatively, you can use a cloth or worn out tee shirt - pour some oil on then apply.  Inappropriate jokes may happen if others are around. 

If you've never oiled the wood, or it's a new bokken, it might soak it all up fast.  If the wood looks dry shortly after oiling, I usually re-apply until I get some to stand on the surface.  I then stand it up in a corner for a while, come back after a couple of hours, and wipe off any excess. 

I do this approximately every couple of months or when the surface feels dry.  If you live in a dry environment, you might need to do it more often.  When you first use the bokken after, a little bit of oil can come to the surface, so I tend to carry a paper towel in my gi to wipe it down as necessary. 

If you don't have hickory or Japanese oak, you might want to look up the right oil to use, or if the wood will even take oil (some don't, especially dense or exotic hardwood, and some tool wood, like hard maple, doesn't either). 

We've found that the weapons get a little heavier with time, especially the hickory long weapons. 

If you have light to no contact, I'm not sure it's necessary, but I'd probably do it for any one that I owned.  Otherwise I suppose you could sand and re-lacquer, or maybe heavy wax (?), but I don't know a thing about that.

The only other thing we do is a safety thing - if a bokken has a point, we chop it off flat.  Trips happen, and we have various tsuki strikes to the face area, so on the off chance of a slip, misstep or other, we remove the pointy bits. 

• Like 1

Thank you!

My boken are red oak. They were inexpensive so they are probably North American red oak. Maybe even some other domestic oak stained red. I had a red oak jo from the same set that really was a red wood. I sanded the jo and oiled it, but it still splintered too much to use. I will put weapons maintenance on my list for a bit later this spring when it gets warm enough to work outside.

Level 54  Viking paladin

My current challenge    Battle log 

Well, as they're oak, they should take oil.  You can always do a test and see if it soaks in. Bummer about the quality of the jo.

Since you're an aikidoist, I wouldn't think your kata to have a lot of contact? Or do you have a sword ryu associated with your particular school?

The librarian shyly held out a small, battered green book. Vimes had been expecting something bigger, but he took it anyway.  It paid to look at any book the orangutan gave you. 

Light on suburi this week, but did have class today (+1).  Amazingly, did some yard work, too.  It's too wet to mow, but had a game of pick-up sticks so that I can mow if it dries a little.  (+5)

While doing so, had that moment where I realized I was hanging out in a full squat, picking things up in a circle around me, comfortably.  Woo! (bonus point!).

Ended up with 14 for the week so far.

• Like 1

Since you're an aikidoist, I wouldn't think your kata to have a lot of contact? Or do you have a sword ryu associated with your particular school?

Our school does several types of weapons work. Most aikido schools (including ours) practice unarmed versus armed using boken, jo or tanto, with the unarmed person disarming the attacker. My previous school also trained the reverse, where the armed defender deals with an unarmed opponent. 

My current school has a set of 12 boken kata and 6 jo kata that are partner practices with both people armed. Lots of strikes and blocks. The katori shinto ryu school trains under Sugawara sensei. He has a set of five kata with boken versus jo that we are learning.

Level 54  Viking paladin

Props for being the first person I have seen on these forums mention Salt-N-Peppa. You've already won the challenge in my mind, haha. 

How is the walking going? I remember I had to get arm surgery a few years ago and couldn't run/lift/train for months (the recovery did not go well), so I put on either podcasts or hair metal on my MP3 player (this was just when smartphones were a thing) and walked to the running track and just would walk for an hour at night. It was actually really nice, and seeing the other people running and working out was inspiring. And it kept me sane. 

I hope all is well! 

Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. - Calvin Coolidge (OG MOTIVATOR)

CURRENT CHALLENGE

Our school does several types of weapons work. Most aikido schools (including ours) practice unarmed versus armed using boken, jo or tanto, with the unarmed person disarming the attacker. My previous school also trained the reverse, where the armed defender deals with an unarmed opponent.

Oooh....interesting.  An armed defender dealing with an unarmed opponent?  Was the task to not kill the attacker?  I can see maybe attacking someone with a jo or bo, but if they had a sharp blade, I'd be running. 

Props for being the first person I have seen on these forums mention Salt-N-Peppa. You've already won the challenge in my mind, haha. 

How is the walking going? I remember I had to get arm surgery a few years ago and couldn't run/lift/train for months (the recovery did not go well), so I put on either podcasts or hair metal on my MP3 player (this was just when smartphones were a thing) and walked to the running track and just would walk for an hour at night. It was actually really nice, and seeing the other people running and working out was inspiring. And it kept me sane. 

I hope all is well! 

Really?  They've not been mentioned yet?  Man...nerds been missin' out, and I'm just a casual hip-hop fan (I'm tend to prefer the tunes that borrow from funk or have a groove to them).

Walking is going ok when I go.  Which reminds me, I went for a very nice walk on Saturday.  Spent the morning with the lady friend and then had a nice lunch and walk while she was running some errands.  Decent weather, finally.  So- add another 1 to last week.

Otherwise, walking happens sporadically. I should probably get a dog - that would fix the 'I should go walking' problem, and the dogs I used to sit for are both away - one passed, and one moved to Cali. Might be time.

Going back to music - did get back into lessons this week.  Had an hour long private class with my teacher, and it was good to get moving.  There isn't a class for my level this round, but possibly next, or I'll join the level 1s again. 

This is going to be a light suburi week again.  Will get back to it tomorrow. 

Doing ok with cooking - holding steady with several nights in a week.  I currently have a couple of pounds of pork shoulder braising gently, so I'll have some protein for a few meals...yum.

An armed defender dealing with an unarmed opponent?  Was the task to not kill the attacker?

In aikido, the task is always to not kill or injure the attacker.  It's sort of the defining feature of the art.

(Admittedly, if you're paying attention, they do teach a little bit of injuring, generally beginning with the words, "And don't do the technique like this, or..."  But it's Not Good Aikido.  And it's generally about breaking arms or destroying the shoulder or elbow joint, so it's pretty nasty stuff.)

I can see maybe attacking someone with a jo or bo, but if they had a sharp blade, I'd be running.

Aikido was drifting towards a "protection of the peace" model in the early days, and shifted there pretty sharply during and after the war.  The big current application for it, and likely the originally intended one, is controlling civilian violence with a minimum of force and no escalation of conflict.  Civilian violence is generally pretty irrational, and often committed under the influence.  That still doesn't give a good explanation for why you'd be controlling civilian violence with a sword in your hand, but I guess it's the principle of the thing. :)

I don't know if traditional pre-aikido (pre 1920/1930-ish) training would have even taught the situation.  It doesn't seem like the sort of thing samurai would think about on the battlefield.  But even that might be a stereotype.  The Edo period was a pretty record-breakingly long peace, and the samurai spent several centuries largely managing the civilian peace and developing the ethical codes that pushed aikido in the direction it took.  You read primary sources from the late Edo, and a lot of those guys were the kind of people who'd be pretty ashamed if they injured an unarmed farmer who rushed them.  Maybe they did train that sort of situation from time to time.

(I've trained that scenario, too.  For us, it frequently followed training to disarm an armed attacker.  So one interpretation is that you're rushed by the attacker you just disarmed, or his friend.)

• Like 1

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

I can see maybe attacking someone with a jo or bo, but if they had a sharp blade, I'd be running. 

Going back to music - did get back into lessons this week.  Had an hour long private class with my teacher, and it was good to get moving.  There isn't a class for my level this round, but possibly next, or I'll join the level 1s again. 

Sara gave a great explanation of the context. The scenario for unarmed versus boken starts with the unarmed person grabbing nage's sword arm with both hands. The obvious goal is to prevent nage from cutting uke with her sword. Presumably uke was already too close to run when nage decided to draw the sword. ;)

As for training, one of the skills on my next test is being attacked by three people with shinai. We use shinai instead of boken in a multiple attacker situation because chances are good that nage is going to get clobbered. If things go well, my first move is to disarm one of my attackers. Then I'm facing two armed and one unarmed attackers. I have to be able to deal with both kinds of attacks. I find the sword vs. sword situations scarier because I don't have any advantage. It all comes down to how well I move.

What instrument and type of music do you play?

Level 54  Viking paladin

In aikido, the task is always to not kill or injure the attacker.  It's sort of the defining feature of the art.

I sometimes wonder about that. From my admittedly small amount of reading and experience, it seems more along the line of 'least damage possible to resolve the conflict', which has a slight (but important to how I view it) semantic difference from no injury.  Especially considering if you are in a multi-attacker situation, or weaker against stronger.  What do you do after they are pinned and you have to wait around?  Especially considering the possibility of irrationality.   

Again though, I'm not very versed in Aikido, and the last art I practiced with throws and hold was a family style of Silat, and a hold was to control a person to either bind/disable them or kill them, so that colors my perspective.    

Aikido was drifting towards a "protection of the peace" model in the early days, and shifted there pretty sharply during and after the war.  The big current application for it, and likely the originally intended one, is controlling civilian violence with a minimum of force and no escalation of conflict.  Civilian violence is generally pretty irrational, and often committed under the influence.  That still doesn't give a good explanation for why you'd be controlling civilian violence with a sword in your hand, but I guess it's the principle of the thing. :)

That's where I have some wondering as well, if it's more a training tool.  I have some minor understanding of the situation you describe in the Edo period - I do know that it was bad form to harm a superior if you had to restrain them.  I also sometimes think that the writings of the ethical/moral samurai were kind of like the writings about chivalry - the ideal, but not necessarily the practice. My reading is pretty limited though. Is Japanese history an interest, or part of your job somehow? 

I don't know if traditional pre-aikido (pre 1920/1930-ish) training would have even taught the situation.  It doesn't seem like the sort of thing samurai would think about on the battlefield.  But even that might be a stereotype.  The Edo period was a pretty record-breakingly long peace, and the samurai spent several centuries largely managing the civilian peace and developing the ethical codes that pushed aikido in the direction it took.  You read primary sources from the late Edo, and a lot of those guys were the kind of people who'd be pretty ashamed if they injured an unarmed farmer who rushed them.  Maybe they did train that sort of situation from time to time.

Just to add - I always appreciate your answers/explanations.  I still think you won the internets for your post in the meditation thread. 

Sara gave a great explanation of the context.

Truth.

The scenario for unarmed versus boken starts with the unarmed person grabbing nage's sword arm with both hands. The obvious goal is to prevent nage from cutting uke with her sword. Presumably uke was already too close to run when nage decided to draw the sword. ;)

I could see that as a possibility.  I'd still not want to try against a competent swords-woman.  Good sword work depends heavily on fluid body movement, including the concepts of entering and displacement - or do you accept you'll get cut, and control how badly/where if possible (like knife fighting)?  Still, I can see it would be a great incentive exercise to move fast AND accurately. 

As for training, one of the skills on my next test is being attacked by three people with shinai. We use shinai instead of boken in a multiple attacker situation because chances are good that nage is going to get clobbered. If things go well, my first move is to disarm one of my attackers. Then I'm facing two armed and one unarmed attackers. I have to be able to deal with both kinds of attacks. I find the sword vs. sword situations scarier because I don't have any advantage. It all comes down to how well I move.

Wow - interesting, potentially fun, and yes, nerve wracking.  From my own perspective and practice, I'd be most comfortable having a sword, although multiple attackers are not something I've ever practiced for.  I'd be totally uncomfortable unarmed.  Much respect that you feel the other way. 

I do think this would be a great exercise.  My ryu is pretty strictly kata based, and while I know kata practice has actually produced some excellent and competent swordsmen, I do think the occasional randori type exercise would be highly beneficial.  We do occasionally break the kata, sometimes even on purpose (hah) and it's always interesting. 

What instrument and type of music do you play?

Long ago and far away I played God's own instrument - trumpet.  I'm contemplating guitar (the Devil's own - I mean, c'mon, Keith Richards says it all, yes?).  I was referring to the first part of the discussion about what I've been listening too, and linking that back to dancing though.  Anywho, I saw on your last challenge I think, that you play?  Also that Elf was playing violin, I think?  How's that going?  l have to say, I truly was happy to read about how you took him in, and how he's connecting. 

@Kishi - right now I use the pork shoulder more carnitas style - braised and then crisped off when served.  I will also make soup/stew using some of the meat and the left over broth.  In the braising water this round was a few cloves of garlic, a chile guajillo, a Hatch chile, about a teaspoon of black peppercorn, not enough salt (I'm still figuring that one out, but yeah, needed more) and since it was just about to go bad, the juice of half a grapefruit.  I could probably have upped the garlic and the chile, and used the whole grapefruit.  Still - braised pork is braised pork, and it's pretty tasty, especially adding a little bit of the strained liquid back in the pan after crisping it a bit.  Do you have any personal favorite ways of dressing a nice hunk of braised meat?

At work we do brine and smoke shoulder - right now for a Cuban style sandwich, and later in the summer to use with a gold sauce (vinegar/mustard sauce).  I occasionally think about asking if I can buy a couple of pounds.  That, or buying my own smoker.  I had a couple of bites off a shoulder right out of the smoker a week ago, and damn...It might be possible to eat too much pork shoulder, but I'm not sure.

On the challenge front - class tonight, and cooked dinner.  Wins on both. 

• Like 1

Wow - interesting, potentially fun, and yes, nerve wracking.  From my own perspective and practice, I'd be most comfortable having a sword, although multiple attackers are not something I've ever practiced for.  I'd be totally uncomfortable unarmed.  Much respect that you feel the other way. 

Long ago and far away I played God's own instrument - trumpet.  I'm contemplating guitar (the Devil's own - I mean, c'mon, Keith Richards says it all, yes?).  I was referring to the first part of the discussion about what I've been listening too, and linking that back to dancing though.  Anywho, I saw on your last challenge I think, that you play?  Also that Elf was playing violin, I think?  How's that going?  l have to say, I truly was happy to read about how you took him in, and how he's connecting. 

Honestly, I am happier facing three attackers when I'm armed. I get aggressive with the shinai, which slows down their attacks and makes them easier to control.

With two attackers it gets dicey once I've disarmed the first one. We train how to disarm a swordsman when you are unarmed. We don't train how to disarm someone when both are armed. The rhythm of the interaction is different with two attackers than with three or more. In some ways it is easier with two and in others it is harder. Less chance to get them tangled up.

I admire guitar players. I tried to learn guitar as a freshman in college and decided it wasn't for me. I can play simple things on piano. Eventually I'd like to be able to play for dancing.

I haven't heard Elf playing the violin recently. Then again, I'm gone most of the time when he's at home. I try to practice when I have the house to myself. He might be doing the same thing.

I appreciate all the support I've gotten from people on NF about Elf. He is an awesome young man. It still boggles my mind that his parents could kick him out. I'm sure they would be appalled if they knew he was happily living with a queer poly family.

Level 54  Viking paladin

"I aen't dead!"

The storm was really giving it everything it had.  This was its big chance.....

And lo, the Lord looked down and said "I thought you were going to do some yard work?  Let me bless you with some motivation...let there be wind!"

Or at least, that's kind of how it felt yesterday and this afternoon.  Yesterday we had a hell of a windstorm. I have 4 pines and a hemlock on the south side of my house, and 3 pines on the east.  Branches were shed.  Luckily, the branches on the south side, while numerous, were small.  On the south side, one of the pines graced my yard with a 24' or so branch, and a dent in my garage (nothing major, along the side of the roof overhang - the heavy side fell straight down, and the light side leaned).  Basic clean up today.  Booyah, I can dead lift a 24' pine branch, and carry it across the yard. 

Last week had a pretty low get anything done rate.  Classes Wednesday and Sunday.  Saturday was a small party organized by my lady-friend at my house which I had forgotten about (calendar mix-up).  It was a casual pot-luck, so besides a quick clean up, there was a little bit of cooking, and otherwise it was a relaxed time.  Many vegetables were eaten.  Many.

Well, hey, at the least the surprise party led to the mass consumption of vegetables. That's not very often. So, you know, good for you. :)

Also, eff yeah, man. Trees and their branches are pretty surprising in their weight. Ain't nothing to sneeze at.

So. Last week is done. Try to get more things done this week?

Well, hey, at the least the surprise party led to the mass consumption of vegetables. That's not very often. So, you know, good for you. :)

Also, eff yeah, man. Trees and their branches are pretty surprising in their weight. Ain't nothing to sneeze at.

So. Last week is done. Try to get more things done this week?

Well... the social group my girlfriend is in is based around positive re-enforcement practices for self-improvement.  They tend to be on the healthy side (granted, the 4th of July bbq doesn't quite fit, but there's always 2-3 large salads brought). So, lucky on that aspect.

And the tree branch - based on experience with 50 lb sacks of flour and how my back felt, I'd put it in the 40-60 lb range (it's pine, so not super dense).  Unwieldy sucker though, especially since it was balanced about 1/3 of the way out from the break point.   

• Like 1

I pretty much made sure it would be sunny this weekend by mowing when I got home tonight.  I figured 2 sunny days in a row, and rain for the weekend, I should get it taken care of. Hoorah for the yard work happening.

Now I really need to get back on track with suburi.  I'm way behind on the 1000 swings of the sword.