• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

PinkNinja

Pink Ninja is Going to Run.

That pretty much sums it up.

Run & stretch. At least 3 times a week, for each.

My brain needs it.

When things calm down a little bit, I may reevaluate. But for right now, I have to be at work earlier than I every have, am commuting further than I ever have (almost an hour), and am working a more demanding job than the last phase (from front desk to maintenence,what a change!)

Just regular life is quite a big adjustment for me right now, albeit temporary. So I'm aiming for easy but important.

• Like 1

Short, sweet, to the point. I like it. Do you think that, with time being harder to come by, that you'll be able to get your run on well?

Short, sweet, to the point. I like it. Do you think that, with time being harder to come by, that you'll be able to get your run on well?

Even with the drive, I start work so early that I get home before I would've even been off before. I think the extra hours of daylight will help. I'm also going to take my run stuff to work and run there before I leave. I think that will make me more likely to do it.I'll be already warmed up and havea new place to explore. Plus I would be embarrassed to bring in a gym bag and not use it in front of the guys I'm working with cause I don't want them to think I'm weak or that they worked me hard enough for me to not run. Being the only female has quickly given mea complex, especially when they acted like I shouldn't use the fire hose. Lol

Its also helping me eat a healthier lunch since I have to eat there with them.

• Like 1

This is THE new job?  That would be quite the adjustment! 

I admittedly have a similar complex.  Oh yeah, I bet I can!

Are you listening to anything interesting on your commute?

This is THE new job?  That would be quite the adjustment! 

I admittedly have a similar complex.  Oh yeah, I bet I can!

Are you listening to anything interesting on your commute?

It's not THE new job. It's just the next phase of my regular one. The one I'm super excited about is STILL in a hiring freeze.

I'm driving a park maintenancetruck on my commute, which is great for my fuel budget because they buy the gas. It is large, loud, and limited in capabilities. I'm spoiled by my ford escape so I haven't found a good way to listen to stuff. It doesn't even have a Cd player. Lol

Awww, good for the budget but so much commute time wasted! 

Ah, still a cool new experience.  Hopefully the hiring freeze is short term?

• Like 1

Challenge addition:

I can't do the Grok squat. I raise my heels of I get very unbalanced. If I get too unbalanced, I would fall on my butt.

So I'm going to start working on the grok squat. I figure I can use my suspension trainer to help balance until I get used to it. I plan on using the squat mobility NF yoga as well. Being able to comfortably squat like that would be super handy.

• Like 1

Awww, good for the budget but so much commute time wasted! 

Ah, still a cool new experience.  Hopefully the hiring freeze is short term?

I am thinking of using an old iPod speaker for my phone to boost the volume.

I don't know how long the freeze will be for. Some have been coming out very quickly , but there was a job at the same level that took 3 months. This one was frozen at the start of Feb., so one month down. Lol

• Like 1

I've ran twice, hiked twice, and started reading some squat stuff. I tried squatting and my toes keep wanting to come up so I've paid attention to what it feels like. I think it's flexibility in my Achilles and calves. I can work on that.

• Like 1

Learning to squat all the way down, calves to hamstrings, is probably one of the coolest things I ever learned to do. It unlocks all kinds of stuff in the hips, and even now at 30 I have better mobility than most of my friends - I can splay my legs out and lay them out on their sides, and I can take just about any position I want in some form or other.

Mind you, it's not a path to yogi-like flexibility, but it is a pathway to a great base flexibility for the lower body that'll serve you very well.

Have you seen this video on achieving the Grok Squat? It might be a fun thing to tack on to your challenge...

• Like 2

Learning to squat all the way down, calves to hamstrings, is probably one of the coolest things I ever learned to do. It unlocks all kinds of stuff in the hips, and even now at 30 I have better mobility than most of my friends - I can splay my legs out and lay them out on their sides, and I can take just about any position I want in some form or other.

Mind you, it's not a path to yogi-like flexibility, but it is a pathway to a great base flexibility for the lower body that'll serve you very well.

Have you seen this video on achieving the Grok Squat? It might be a fun thing to tack on to your challenge...

I have not seen that. I've been able to watch the first 2 minutes. I'm hoping tomorrow I can watch it before I leave work if I can't get it to load at home tonight. Thanks!

• Like 2

I have been voluntold to be a lifeguard instructor. 1. I don't think I can pass the regular lifeguard test. 2. I REALLY don't want to wear a swimsuit in front of people.

In happier news, I get to go camping AND kayaking next weekend at the state trails symposium. Yay! Also, Trails Symposium!!

The swimsuit thing... always sucks.  I think it just helps to go, "This is part of the deal, and bodies, everyone's got one, so screw it".

It's been a long time since I looked at the lifeguard test (never did it, but spent a long time sort of close to what I would have needed as a teenager).  IIRC, the worst bit is treading water with a brick overhead, with some time and position requirements?  The specifics of that one always seemed like it was an unexpectedly high strength requirement compared to the rest of the test.

I'm in charge of the training coordination and already have the requirements. That's, fortunately, not one of them.

Swim 300 yds, tread water for 2 minutes (sans brick), and then swim 20 yds, retrieve 10 lb object, and return in less than 1 minute 40 seconds.

300 yards is a bit of an endurance challenge if you don't swim much now, but mostly a matter of getting lung and arm conditioning back.  The last could be trickier.  That's gonna be something like a 30-minute/kilometer pace while dragging an extra 10lb.  IIRC, that's not a competitive racing pace, just sort of a strong medium-pace swimmer, is the good news.  Once you've got the conditioning for the 300 yards, you may be pretty close to that pace.

You got a pool to train in?  I'd say it's maybe two weeks of regular training to get the lungs back.  If your front crawl's ever been sorta middling, that'll probably get you into the right range.

• Like 1

Wow, what a tough challenge. Swimming. Still, I imagine, given how tough a discipline it is, by the time you could do the things that they wanted you to do... maybe you would be more comfy in a suit? Just saying, as someone who has similar issues with both swimming and being seen in such attire.

cf2787f3c5a8750febf3e021bfb7f0c8.jpg

So I did that and my tailbone didn't hurt at all. I honestly never expected to be able to ride my bike without hurting. I was so relieved, happy and excited that I got a little emotional.

Unrelated, but starting tomorrow, I'm going to post pictures of my meals on here. Please give me crap if I don't. I think having to fess up what I'm eating will help me.

• Like 1

Woot! Awesome! Congratulations on being able to do a thing that your tail bone should be saying that you can't! That'll show it who's boss!

Well, what about taking the pictures for yourself? Or is it a memory issue in the phone itself?

I mean, 'cuz, you know, you could take 'em and share 'em later, right?

I went for a ride again yesterday. I did a longer one and rode on a trail for over half of it. It felt great. The hills didn't kill me as badly as I thought. I didn't have to walk up any of them, and I had already mentally prepared myself for the fact that it would be okay if I walked up a few. :) The combination of getting outside more and getting moving is really improving my spirits.

f72b1c1c4b029a0b96a83515edc457a7.jpg

I also got my EMT renewal finished, submitted, and approved. That's a stress gone. I'm loving my maintenance phase for work. I'm working with a pretty good group of guys. Only one kind of irks me, but that's only sometimes. And it's always stupid gender stereotyping crap.

Well, what about taking the pictures for yourself? Or is it a memory issue in the phone itself?

I mean, 'cuz, you know, you could take 'em and share 'em later, right?

I was going to post them because I'd be more likely to eat healthy if I knew you guys were going to see my food, so for myself wouldn't help.

And yeah. I could take 'em and share 'em later. You know, i even thought about that. But for some reason, at the time, I thought if I couldn't share them every day, it wouldn't help. But now that I'm not caught up in "What I wanted to do won't work", it would work even if I did it weekly because I would still be showing you guys what I ate. I started taking photos at dinner last night.