• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kyellan

The Gray Sentinel III: Kyellan Does the Weird Stuff

tumblr_n1kd6pAzLe1qelhdco2_500.gif

No, not that weird stuff!

I'll dress this up later, but here's the basics for March:

1) Need more running. Find more running. Do more running. It's starting to warm up, the trees are turning red (which means the spring buds are coming already!)

2) Use the NerdFitness Yoga program like, at least 2x/week. More if possible. It's really quite manageable. I just need to do it. My flexibility is really lacking and I need to loosen up.

3) Lift more heavy things, at least 1x/week.

4) Write more than twice in the month.

BONUS: I met up with my brother last night, who has been doing circus training (particularly strong man stuff, for him) with my little sister (an aerialist and all-around performer). I was talking about my need to get off the ground and loosen up and learn what I'm capable of, and he suggested that I come with them to their circus gym and learn some tumbling from one of the trainers. This was such a fantastic idea that I'm going to do so, probably at least every weekend in March, and start to get comfortable with what I'm capable of now that I'm approaching a normal weight.

BONUS THE SECOND: I was going through my music folder the other day (not my music library, but my personal music folder) and realized that I have very few actual recordings of myself, despite having all the tools to do so. There are a couple from 2010, one from 2012, etc. I've decided to start a project where I'm going to record myself and my guitar for five songs every couple of years, just to start getting an idea of how I'm changing over the years, musically speaking. I'd like to complete this project by the end of April, so I'm going to work on this and try to get at least two of the tracks completed and the third one started. My song list for this project is:

Vertical Horizon - The Man Who Would Be Santa

Parabelle - No One Looks As Good As You In That

Trapt - Only One in Color

10 Years - So Long Goodbye

[unheilig - Als wär's das erste Mal] - still subject to change, but I think I can do a pretty rockin' acoustic version of this

So that's going to be my March. More endurance, more strength, more Kung Fu, more flexibility, and... tumbling. Maybe somewhere in there will be some time to breathe? Yeah, probably not. :/

• Like 6

2) Use the NerdFitness Yoga program like, at least 2x/week. More if possible. It's really quite manageable. I just need to do it. My flexibility is really lacking and I need to loosen up.

You and me both!

That circus training sounds like lots of fun!! Hope you enjoy it and learn some cool stuff! :D

• Like 1

You and me both!

That circus training sounds like lots of fun!! Hope you enjoy it and learn some cool stuff! :D

I'm sensing a theme with this doing more yoga (one of my goals as well)! Something so simple seems so hard to do at times. 

• Like 2

Oh man, a circus gym sounds incredible.

It's in Portland, ME. My sister has been training there and performing with their troupe for a couple of years now, and my brother will probably be doing his first strongman set for a public performance in the near future. Their head trainer used to run a Moroccan Circus. He is apparently exactly what you would expect from such a man. =) Seems like the perfect place to learn how to get off the ground and fall correctly.

You and me both!

Flex, flex, flex! :D

I'm pretty excited for next weekend, actually! I'm curious to see what they will impart. Plus I have an in with the trainers, since both my siblings attend there regularly, which likely means some good personal attention.

I'm sensing a theme with this doing more yoga (one of my goals as well)! Something so simple seems so hard to do at times. 

I know, right? It's 30 minutes, a couple times a week. How is this so hard??

----------------------------

I did NF Yoga ( Water Series B ) yesterday morning, and then went out for a 3 mile run a little later, so that definitely helped me feel better about stuff. I also worked on some audio production around my 4 hours of D&D playing with my favorite gaming group of all time, and our neighbors/friends coming over for board game night. Was a crazy busy day, but I also did some productive stuff, so that made me happy.

Added a second bonus goal, because I want to get on this recording project. I need more music in my life too.

• Like 2

Maybe somewhere in there will be some time to breathe? Yeah, probably not. :/

Breathing is overrated anyway.  :P

Oh man, a circus gym sounds incredible.

Hell yea it does!  Do they still call it Ukemi in the circus though?  lol

4 hours of D&D

Woot!!  

---------------------

Sounds like a great start to the Challenge!  And I still don't have mine up yet.  Bad Oramac!  

Keep it up man! 

• Like 1

It's in Portland, ME. My sister has been training there and performing with their troupe for a couple of years now, and my brother will probably be doing his first strongman set for a public performance in the near future. Their head trainer used to run a Moroccan Circus. He is apparently exactly what you would expect from such a man. =) Seems like the perfect place to learn how to get off the ground and fall correctly.

BRB, running away to Portland to join the Moroccan Circus.

• Like 3

Chiming in for circus gym envy. If you could get your sifu to open up in there with them, that would be so stupefyingly epic.

Also, hi, good to see you again for March!

• Like 2

If you could get your sifu to open up in there with them, that would be so stupefyingly epic.

Lightsabers, martial arts, and the circus?!  Stupefyingly epic doesn't even begin to describe that! 

• Like 1

Chiming in for circus gym envy. If you could get your sifu to open up in there with them, that would be so stupefyingly epic.

Also, hi, good to see you again for March!

I'm not sure I could handle the epic-ness of a combination Kung Fu/circus class :D It's going to be hard enough managing them separately!

And hi! Glad to be back. I love this place.

Lightsabers, martial arts, and the circus?!  Stupefyingly epic doesn't even begin to describe that! 

RIGHT?! 

-------------------

My arms are all bruised up this morning--new student at Kung Fu means straight back to blocking drills. I worked with the newbie, my eldest Sihing, and Sifu... ow. >.>

RP and I are racing to 199 lbs. We've been kind of comparing off and on, but now it's for real. And our approaches are almost entirely opposite, so we'll see how gets there first!

I'm going to be purchasing my first real sword in quite some time--a pair of twin Chinese Dao. (Twinned, as in both fit together into a single sheath). I need a broadsword for practice and performance, and it's only about a $50 difference between having one and having two. Getting a twin set leads naturally into eventually learning the dual Dao form, plus allows for exercising both arms together in the meantime without worrying about a serious weight and balance discrepancy when buying a second one later. These will be combat steel-grade swords, because I would never buy anything less. Weaponry is SRS BSNS y'all.

It'll probably be this set.

broadswords.jpg

• Like 4

Weaponry is SRS BSNS y'all.

Damn right it is!  That looks like a solid set for ya.  Are they edged?  Seems like a waste to not be, but for training I imagine it would be ill-advised.  :)

I'm quite sad there's no place around me that teaches Kali.  Would love to learn more about the karambit.  

• Like 1

Damn right it is!  That looks like a solid set for ya.  Are they edged?  Seems like a waste to not be, but for training I imagine it would be ill-advised.   :)

I'm quite sad there's no place around me that teaches Kali.  Would love to learn more about the karambit.  

They come un-sharpened, but they are thick enough to support an edge. I probably won't edge them because they're really just for practice, but in my experience, even an unsharpened blade is quite dangerous to things with the consistency of the human body.

My Sifu is, however, a metalworker--so if there is ever a reason to put an edge on them, I'm sure it wouldn't take much. :)

Kali seems to be hard to find. The karambit is a cool weapon!

PRETTY SHINY SWORDS I WANT.

Ahem. Carry on.

I have this problem, like, constantly. :D

• Like 1

Now, now. You do Hung Gar. You'd have to kill your fore arms eventually anyway. You should just make a point of banging your forearms against random objects... or do KB Snatches wrong so that the bell crashes down on you. It's necessary.

• Like 1

Now, now. You do Hung Gar. You'd have to kill your fore arms eventually anyway. You should just make a point of banging your forearms against random objects... or do KB Snatches wrong so that the bell crashes down on you. It's necessary.

This is true. And it's actually much better than it used to be. The outside of my left arm and the inside of my right didn't bruise at all. I got a couple on the inner left and outer right, but they're already fading fast. 

I had a remark in my head and than I saw the shiny blades....

O_O

Fine weaponry is so distracting! :D

--------------------------

Lightsaber class was the busiest it's ever been... Sifu decided to merge the classes into one as a trial run last night, plus we had two newbies, bringing the total to 12 students. Just basics to give the new students an intro to what we do, and they seemed to enjoy it. One of the guys has a set of twin Menace Ultrasabers with the Emerald drivers in both (to make a Darth Maul saberstaff)... the damn things are like $1000 worth of lightsaber when combined! Very nice to see some new faces, hopefully they'll stick around.

I've ordered myself a practice Dao for working on my form at home, because now that my yard is clear of snow and we're seeing warmer days, I need to work on it on my own. We don't get enough forms time just in class, and I've still got a long way to go to improve before May rolls around. I'm hoping that if we get a forms night tonight that I can pick up a couple more moves to get closer to the end. I've got about 75% of it now. SO CLOSE!

• Like 2

I'm going to be purchasing my first real sword in quite some time--a pair of twin Chinese Dao. (Twinned, as in both fit together into a single sheath). I need a broadsword for practice and performance, and it's only about a $50 difference between having one and having two. Getting a twin set leads naturally into eventually learning the dual Dao form, plus allows for exercising both arms together in the meantime without worrying about a serious weight and balance discrepancy when buying a second one later. These will be combat steel-grade swords, because I would never buy anything less. Weaponry is SRS BSNS y'all.

It'll probably be this set.

broadswords.jpg

Oooh...shiny (as others have said).  My style is Japanese, but I've always had a fondness for Chinese styled blades, esp. sabers. 

Where are you ordering from?  Also - following because swords....

• Like 1

Oooh...shiny (as others have said).  My style is Japanese, but I've always had a fondness for Chinese styled blades, esp. sabers. 

Where are you ordering from?  Also - following because swords....

Hey, welcome! Thanks for dropping by!

I'll be getting the swords from Wing Lam Enterprises--that's my Sigung's company, and he's the one that carries the swords pictured above.

--------------

Didn't get to class last night--I had loaned my car to my mom (her 15-year-old van died forever last month), and my wife's car threw a check engine light on my way home. Mom didn't make it back in time from her errands for me to get to class, so I stayed in and worked on music stuff instead.

Woke up this morning and did NF Yoga Water Series B again. It was surprisingly difficult, maybe because I wasn't quite awake enough when I started. After a minor setback (no injuries), I got back up there and finished it through.

Stuck working from home today so that I can try to figure out the problem with the car. Joy.

• Like 1

Yay Yoga!  Boo check engine lights!!  Do you know what codes it threw?  Or what symptoms it's showing?  

I've got a friend bringing an OBD/2 reader this morning so I can check the code. No symptoms as far as I've noticed. It's probably nothing, but just in case I decided not to drive on it.

• Like 1

I've got a friend bringing an OBD/2 reader this morning so I can check the code. No symptoms as far as I've noticed. It's probably nothing, but just in case I decided not to drive on it.

Good call.  If it was flashing that's a bigger deal than a solid-on light.  But in either case it's usually best to check it out ASAP.  

Hope it's an easy fix for ya!  Were I up there I'd gladly help fix it.  

• Like 1

vhyfxm.jpg

It's an O2 sensor error. No big deal, and no big surprise given that the car is now 11 years old with almost no problems to date. Should hopefully be a pretty easy fix, and it's still driveable in the meantime.

• Like 1

It's an O2 sensor error. No big deal, and no big surprise given that the car is now 11 years old with almost no problems to date. Should hopefully be a pretty easy fix, and it's still driveable in the meantime.

Good news indeed.  Though I would recommend fixing it sooner than later.  Running on a bad O2 sensor can cause issues with the cat down the road, and THOSE buggers are freakin expensive.  

• Like 2

Good news indeed.  Though I would recommend fixing it sooner than later.  Running on a bad O2 sensor can cause issues with the cat down the road, and THOSE buggers are freakin expensive.  

Oh yeah, definitely going to fix it ASAP! It won't go more than a couple hundred miles more (max, probably less) before it gets repaired.

• Like 2

*cries*

Glad to hear the car issues aren't too terrible. Hope you make it class again before the weekend!

• Like 1