The Gray Sentinel III: Kyellan Does the Weird Stuff

I got my car back, so I'm going to class tonight come hell or high water! We're supposed to be sparring with two of the kids (who are rapidly becoming teenagers, and so they will likely be joining the adult class come summertime) and there's no way I won't be there! :D

I am irrationally excited for circus class on Sunday. It's gonna be so much fun!

• Like 3

Allowing YouTube's AutoPlay while listening to music at work is leading me to interesting places in German music today. I've already found two new interesting artists to listen to.

The ambient noise drastically increased near my cube in the last couple of weeks thanks to the desks near me suddenly being full of call center support reps. So I bought a pair of studio monitor headphones and I've been listening to a lot of music while I work, which increases my concentration by a not-insignificant margin. But listening to the same few things has gotten a bit repetitive... so now I'm letting YouTube guide me as though it were Pandora. So far, a win!

• Like 3

Allowing YouTube's AutoPlay while listening to music at work is leading me to interesting places in German music today. I've already found two new interesting artists to listen to.

The ambient noise drastically increased near my cube in the last couple of weeks thanks to the desks near me suddenly being full of call center support reps. So I bought a pair of studio monitor headphones and I've been listening to a lot of music while I work, which increases my concentration by a not-insignificant margin. But listening to the same few things has gotten a bit repetitive... so now I'm letting YouTube guide me as though it were Pandora. So far, a win!

I think it's a little funny how differently our languages threat the word "ambient". When somebody in Germany says "Ambient" he usually means "ambient music" At least I would interpret it this way.

That reminds me, that there should be a post it somewhere on my desk with German Band names, that I wanted to recommend to you. Damn. Perhaps I can find it later. For now I'll improvise a few names.

Lacrimosa

Eisbrecher, Megaherz (like Rammstein)

Staubkind (I like "Als ich fortging", although it sounds sad.)

Blutengel

Mono Inc.

Letzte Instanz

Samsas Traum (his lyrics are a bit weird, he is referring a lot to German literature, )

Janus

Deine Lakaien (I'm sure you know them.)

Coppelius

Qntal

Helium Vola (I like to dance to omnis mundi creatura. They are more electronic. I think it's intresting, that they are using medievil lyric.)

Something different:

Lahannya (saw her life and liked her music, armee of freaks is our favorit song)

Wow, I haven't been listening to a lot of these bands for a while. My taste in music changed a lot during the last few years. It's funny how some songs remind you of a specific person or periods of ones life.

• Like 1

I think it's a little funny how differently our languages threat the word "ambient". When somebody in Germany says "Ambient" he usually means "ambient music" At least I would interpret it this way.

That reminds me, that there should be a post it somewhere on my desk with German Band names, that I wanted to recommend to you. Damn. Perhaps I can find it later. For now I'll improvise a few names.

Lacrimosa

Eisbrecher, Megaherz (like Rammstein)

Staubkind (I like "Als ich fortging", although it sounds sad.)

Blutengel

Mono Inc.

Letzte Instanz

Samsas Traum (his lyrics are a bit weird, he is referring a lot to German literature, )

Janus

Deine Lakaien (I'm sure you know them.)

Coppelius

Qntal

Helium Vola (I like to dance to omnis mundi creatura. They are more electronic. I think it's intresting, that they are using medievil lyric.)

Something different:

Lahannya (saw her life and liked her music, armee of freaks is our favorit song)

Wow, I haven't been listening to a lot of these bands for a while. My taste in music changed a lot during the last few years. It's funny how some songs remind you of a specific person or periods of ones life.

A bunch of these I am very familiar with (Eisbrecher & Megaherz I've been listening to for years, Staubkind discovered more recently, my wife really likes Letzte Instanz) but others are new! I will check them out, thanks!

Yesterday I got led from Unheilig to Silbermond, and that was an interesting transition. She has a really nice vocal style. =) A bit more on the pop side than my usual taste, but I did not object.

---------------------------

Ladies and gentlemen... drumroll please. My first weigh-in for the month of March read at:

204.4 !!!

fireworks-animation-46.gif

Measurements also continue to improve. At this rate, I'll definitely hit my goal of doing the Tough Mudder under 200 lbs. My plan works, I just need to stick with it!

• Like 3

NICE! It's a race between you and RP at this point, and I haven't seen how he's done but you've made progress and either way it's awesome!

Also, isn't it uncanny that YouTube provides a greater variety of music than Pandora does despite the fact that Pandora is the music service? Go figure.

• Like 1

Well, I survived open gym at the circus yesterday. Here's the quick rundown of things I did:

1) Forward rolls & forward diving rolls

2) Hung upside-down on a trapeze (oh dear god this was terrifying)

3) Worked handstand basics (likewise--I am not good at being upside-down)

4) Failed miserably at cartwheels

5) Sprang off a mini-trampoline into the air and once did a diving roll that I barely made it out of

6) Managed to get one successful 'seat drop' on an Olympic-style trampoline that felt like it was constantly trying to kill me

Uh... that pretty well covers it, I think. We were there for about two hours. My shoulders and arms will be complaining all day. I will almost certainly be going back again next weekend, because I need more time with the equipment to keep getting comfortable with the whole idea of throwing myself into the air and being upside-down and whatnot.

I did the NerdFitness 'Yin Yoga' bonus session early morning yesterday, and it really helped my feeling flexible for the rest of the day. I think I need to do that more often. The regular Yoga programs are excellent for strength-building and flexibility, but for pure stretchiness the Yin program can't be beat. It's long, about 45 minutes, but it is very, very good for releasing tension and getting better movement ranges.

Kate is an excellent instructor and her explanations are very clear. If anybody's been looking for yoga, I really can't recommend the NerdFitness program highly enough.

• Like 3

Ladies and gentlemen... drumroll please. My first weigh-in for the month of March read at:

204.4 !!!

Measurements also continue to improve. At this rate, I'll definitely hit my goal of doing the Tough Mudder under 200 lbs. My plan works, I just need to stick with it!

WOOT!!!   Go you!  You're doing great!  (And incidentally, you now weigh almost exactly the same as I do)

Also, isn't it uncanny that YouTube provides a greater variety of music than Pandora does despite the fact that Pandora is the music service? Go figure.

I actually prefer Spotify for this stuff.  It's like a cross between Pandora and Youtube, minus the videos.  And you can tell it to play a specific band if you want to hear more of their stuff, instead of waiting for the random playlist to come back around.

Well, I survived open gym at the circus yesterday. Here's the quick rundown of things I did:

5) Sprang off a mini-trampoline into the air and once did a diving roll that I barely made it out of

6) Managed to get one successful 'seat drop' on an Olympic-style trampoline that felt like it was constantly trying to kill me

Sounds like fun!!  Good news: there are no trapese's on the Tough Mudder course.  Though you may end up upside down briefly coming off the obstacles, but it's usually only a couple feet or so to the ground.  

• Like 2

Uh... that pretty well covers it, I think. We were there for about two hours. My shoulders and arms will be complaining all day. I will almost certainly be going back again next weekend, because I need more time with the equipment to keep getting comfortable with the whole idea of throwing myself into the air and being upside-down and whatnot.

This.  This is all awesome.  Freaking awesome.

I did the NerdFitness 'Yin Yoga' bonus session early morning yesterday, and it really helped my feeling flexible for the rest of the day. I think I need to do that more often. The regular Yoga programs are excellent for strength-building and flexibility, but for pure stretchiness the Yin program can't be beat. It's long, about 45 minutes, but it is very, very good for releasing tension and getting better movement ranges.

I should try the Yin Yoga.  I keep looking at it, but since it's so much longer than the others, I just pass.  I gots stuffs to do, yo! >.> <.<  But I should really give that a shot on days I skip aikido.

• Like 2

This.  This is all awesome.  Freaking awesome.

I should try the Yin Yoga.  I keep looking at it, but since it's so much longer than the others, I just pass.  I gots stuffs to do, yo! >.> <.<  But I should really give that a shot on days I skip aikido.

It was intensely cool, and terrifying. I haven't been so honestly scared of anything in a long time, and it's not easy to admit that either.

You really should try the Yin Yoga. Set aside some time and do it. I felt SO GOOD afterward.

I am currently experiencing remarkable levels of pain and stiffness in my arms and shoulders. Not surprising, given the whole circus thing on Sunday, but wow. And then, of course, I did 50 pushups at class last night and proceeded into forms training, so that didn't exactly help the process either.

We got a nice advancement on the Monkey King staff last night, so that's a happy thing. My sword form continues to be frustrating... mentally I know exactly what I need to do, but physically I keep botching it over and over again. Plus the damnable standing reverse tornado kick, which is currently the bane of my progress, along with my simply abysmal stance transitions. I need so much more work, and even though my early morning light is finally coming with temperatures above murderously-cold, where I could actually go into my backyard and work on this stuff (there is NOT enough room in my house to swing a sword, even a plastic one) it's about to disappear again thanks to "Daylight Savings Time". Sigh. I guess I'll have to practice in the dark.

I did surprise myself during one move in my sword form last night... it's a sort of airborne advancing slash, and I ended up a lot higher in the air than usual. Not really sure what happened there. Have to keep an eye on that.

• Like 1

Actually, you might be surprised. You've been able to hit the 50 push ups for a while now, and doing it in an achey-recovery kind of mode can actually be useful for breeding anti-frailty. Note that I said can be, not is.

You are at the stage of imperfect practice. Gotta get the sucky reps before you can get the perfect ones. You'll get there.

• Like 3

Okay, I'm not going to lie. Having twelve students at lightsaber class is weird, gang. All of a sudden I've gone from feeling rather lonely to a bit overwhelmed by just how many people are there. Not to mention the fact that it's actually kind of hard to hear Sifu's instruction over the sound of eight or so sound-sabers.

A couple of the other students and I are going to attempt a lightsaber-glaive by using the Ultrasabers Yari pike extension. We'll see how it goes.

On a totally different note--today I am wearing a fitted dress shirt for the first time ever, a size and a half smaller in the neck (down to a 17 from an 18.5--I probably could have gone down to 16.5). It is leagues more comfortable than my old circus-tent style dress shirts, and looks rather snappy as well. 

Life is weird, y'all.

• Like 3

Life is weird, y'all.

If by "weird" you mean "awesome", then yes, I'd say it's weird.  :D

There's a whole bunch of good in that post.  Even being a bit overwhelmed by the people in lightsaber class is still a good sign.  It means more people are getting interested.  Plus, LIGHTSABERS! 

• Like 3

Okay, I'm not going to lie. Having twelve students at lightsaber class is weird, gang. All of a sudden I've gone from feeling rather lonely to a bit overwhelmed by just how many people are there. Not to mention the fact that it's actually kind of hard to hear Sifu's instruction over the sound of eight or so sound-sabers.

You've been around long enough, maybe suggest to Sifu that sound is distracting, and that training should be done with muted sabers?  Cool for effect, annoying for learning.

On a totally different note--today I am wearing a fitted dress shirt for the first time ever, a size and a half smaller in the neck (down to a 17 from an 18.5--I probably could have gone down to 16.5). It is leagues more comfortable than my old circus-tent style dress shirts, and looks rather snappy as well. 

Life is weird, y'all.

If by "weird" you mean "awesome", then yes, I'd say it's weird.   :D

THIS.gif

• Like 2

You've been around long enough, maybe suggest to Sifu that sound is distracting, and that training should be done with muted sabers?  Cool for effect, annoying for learning.

It's simple enough to fix too.  Just stuff a couple cotton balls in the pommel of the sabers.  It won't totally mute them, but it should be enough to make hearing Sifu a lot easier.  

• Like 1

If by "weird" you mean "awesome", then yes, I'd say it's weird.   :D

I totally concur with this statement, especially since I've been feeling the same lately.

You're doing awesome, btw!

THIS.gif

Note to self: anytime I think the word 'weird' in relation to my life, automatically replace with 'awesome'. Let's see how this goes =)

And yeah, I think I will at least try muting my own saber with some cotton. I always take the front row (because that makes me easily available as Sifu's punching b--er, I mean demonstrator) but it would be nice not to have to strain to hear the instruction.

• Like 3

I ended up some kind of sick yesterday... it came on during class on Wednesday night, where I suddenly felt extremely irritable and not at all myself. It persisted into yesterday, where I slept for a lot of the morning and just generally felt sucky. It slowly got better by the afternoon, and I'm mostly better today. Still have no idea what happened.

I managed to get to my weekly gaming group, and we finished the sixth and final module of Pathfinder Adventures: Rise of the Runelords. Like, finished. 100% complete. It's not my favorite game system in the world, and honestly with three players it was rarely challenging, but still fun. 

I'm going to have to shift my writing priorities. With my current set of life goals and the trajectory in which my life is headed, I have realized that if I do not write the fourth-and-final Arbiter Codex book this year, it may never happen at all. I owe my readers more than that, having led them along for three books with the promise of an explosive conclusion.

To that end, my writing-related energies will have to come away from this little side project here on the NF forums, at least for a while, until I put a cap on this crazy fantasy-horror thing I've got going on. There are dozens, dozens I tell you, of people who may or may not be disappointed if I never finish this series.

Side note: my brother and sister-in-law made the official announcement this morning that they are expecting their first baby in the fall, so I now feel that it is safe for me to likewise mention it here. Sometime around when the wife and I get back from Germany, we will also become uncle & aunt to my mom's first grandchild.

• Like 3

I managed to get to my weekly gaming group, and we finished the sixth and final module of Pathfinder Adventures: Rise of the Runelords. Like, finished. 100% complete. It's not my favorite game system in the world, and honestly with three players it was rarely challenging, but still fun. 

Might I recommend 5th Edition?  I'm still quite new to all of the D&D stuff, but I have played AD&D, Pathfinder, and 5th Edition.  I have to say that of the three, 5e is definitely the best, by far.  

To that end, my writing-related energies will have to come away from this little side project here on the NF forums, at least for a while, until I put a cap on this crazy fantasy-horror thing I've got going on. There are dozens, dozens I tell you, of people who may or may not be disappointed if I never finish this series.

By all means finish it!  I admit I haven't read them all, but from what I have read, I can say I'd be looking forward to the conclusion! 

Side note: my brother and sister-in-law made the official announcement this morning that they are expecting their first baby in the fall, so I now feel that it is safe for me to likewise mention it here. Sometime around when the wife and I get back from Germany, we will also become uncle & aunt to my mom's first grandchild.

Congrats!!  As an uncle myself, I can tell you it's a lot of fun!  My nephew turns 3 in July, and he's a ton of fun to hang around with!  And when he gets cranky, I just hand him back to my sister.  haha.

• Like 1

Don't leave your readers hanging! We totally understand. :)

By all means finish it!  I admit I haven't read them all, but from what I have read, I can say I'd be looking forward to the conclusion! 

Yeah, my (admittedly few) readers definitely deserve better than three books promising a major conclusion, and then nothing. It's already been too long, but I'm going to finish it regardless. Already managed to crank out 1,000 words that I don't totally hate, which is a very good start toward finishing this thing.

I had been considering throwing out my outline and trying to restructure it, but instead I just decided to start in a slightly different place in the story and proceed with my original plan. I've known how the story ends since I wrote the second book way back in 2012, and it's time to just make it happen and stop questioning myself on it.

Congratulations to your brother! :)

Congrats!!  As an uncle myself, I can tell you it's a lot of fun!  My nephew turns 3 in July, and he's a ton of fun to hang around with!  And when he gets cranky, I just hand him back to my sister.  haha.

The whole family (including me, of course) is very excited for them. I'm admittedly a little bit jealous, as I had hoped to be the first one to that particular life milestone, but I'm mostly over it. I think it'll actually work out very well in the long term--they can deal with the fallout and the ridiculous amounts of attention from being first, and then we can coast comfortably along in relative (ha) obscurity whenever we get there. =)

Might I recommend 5th Edition?  I'm still quite new to all of the D&D stuff, but I have played AD&D, Pathfinder, and 5th Edition.  I have to say that of the three, 5e is definitely the best, by far.  

Ah, I had the name slightly wrong. We've been playing the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, just the three of us, and we finished the final adventure pack last night. My RPG stuff is all about 5E now!! =)

• Like 2

Woke up this morning and added another 1100 words to my novel, finishing off Chapter I. I started with about a 1,000 word head-start (a prologue I'd written back on 1/1 of this year) but I'm not counting it toward my goal for March.

The hardest part is still ahead, but I've got an outline (even though I have added a bit of time at the beginning from my original plan, but that will only serve to make the book longer before I get to the planned plot, which is a good thing) which should carry me through to the end, as long as I keep up the momentum.

I'd like to go running today if I can, but fixing my wife's car has got to be a higher priority, so we'll see what the day brings.

• Like 2