The Gray Sentinel III: Kyellan Does the Weird Stuff

Ah, I was wondering when you were going to get back to work on the Codex. Well, then! Good to see you at it. I need to know what happens next.

Also, super exciting that you get to be an uncle! That's terrific news! And it definitely looks like things are going well overall here, even with having got sick and all. Doesn't seem to have lasted long. Very good, then.

Hope you get everything done that you want to, today!

• Like 2

Had to order in the part for my wife's car from Hyundai, so it won't be in until the middle of the week.

Went running for about 5k on Saturday, but my phone and/or MapMyFitness locked up in the middle of the run, so it logged the time but not the distance past 1.31 miles. Very frustrating. Still, I did the 5k in roughly 40 minutes or so--I'll take it. I'm on the list to run the Boston Athletic Association 5k (the one on marathon weekend) on 4/16, so I'd like to come in at a sub-40 time if I can. Still got some training to do over the next month or so.

I think I'm going to switch back to Runkeeper. MapMyFitness is okay, but it's a bit glitchy and I don't like the interface as well. I switched because MMF is supposed to link with my work insurance program, but it doesn't actually work, so I might as well use the app I prefer! If I want to track for the work thing, I'm just going to have to suck it up and buy a pedometer.

Yesterday I went back up to open gym at the circus school. I did some more handstand progression work, they had me juggling a little, and we worked on some partner acrobatics, which was probably the most fun. At the end of the day, I hoisted by 6' tall sister up onto my shoulders into what they call a 'two-high' with pretty much no difficulty.

Next week we'll do it again, and I'll have somebody take a picture for y'all.

The partner acrobatics is definitely fun. My Kung Fu has turned me into a very solid base for a flyer (the person in the air) for that kind of work. It'll never be a replacement for my martial arts, but it's definitely a fun thing to play with.

Overall a good weekend; mostly relaxing, with a good workout or two in there. Can't ask for more.

EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to add that I weighed in at 204.2 on Sunday (I forgot to check on Saturday). Not down much from last week, but still down about half a pound. Progress is progress!

• Like 4

If I want to track for the work thing, I'm just going to have to suck it up and buy a pedometer.

My pedometers are a unchargeable FitBit, a PokeWalker from purchasing SoulSilver, and surprisingly my 3DS. I don't USE them as pedometers, but I find that part interesting. The PokeWalker was fun though. I imagine you should be able to find a regular pedometer for not that much. 

Sounds like a fun weekend!

• Like 1
EDIT: Oh yeah, forgot to add that I weighed in at 204.2 on Sunday (I forgot to check on Saturday). Not down much from last week, but still down about half a pound. Progress is progress!

Man we are seriously neck-and-neck. :P

Damn creepy twin effect.

Also, in the area April 16th you say?  Odd, that whole, I live in that neck of the woods and always am up for celebrating how awesome Nerds are....  Just saying.

• Like 2

Man, I need to get my ass in gear or you're going to leave me in the dust come June!!  You're doing really well, man.  Love hearing about all the things you have going on! 

I've got my sister teaching me how to climb a rope. She gave me the basics yesterday, so I now understand the principle. I intend to apply it next week and see how far I can get. =) Figure that one might be important!

My pedometers are a unchargeable FitBit, a PokeWalker from purchasing SoulSilver, and surprisingly my 3DS. I don't USE them as pedometers, but I find that part interesting. The PokeWalker was fun though. I imagine you should be able to find a regular pedometer for not that much. 

Sounds like a fun weekend!

I've been considering one of the Polar HR heart-rate thingies for improved accuracy. I'm kind of a data nut, so heart rate tracking is right up my alley. I'd much prefer the accuracy of the HR monitor over steps, which can be vague at best. My Pebble smartwatch has a pedometer in it, but it's very far from accurate!

Man we are seriously neck-and-neck. :tongue:

Damn creepy twin effect.

Also, in the area April 16th you say?  Odd, that whole, I live in that neck of the woods and always am up for celebrating how awesome Nerds are....  Just saying.

Is it possible that we are somehow quantum-entangled? I know that quantum doesn't work that way, but this twin thing is weird! =)

And yeah, if you want to come out on race weekend and cheer me on (I'll be wearing a Team John Hancock shirt, I think) I would certainly appreciate it! :D

• Like 2

I've got my sister teaching me how to climb a rope. She gave me the basics yesterday, so I now understand the principle. I intend to apply it next week and see how far I can get. =) Figure that one might be important!

It depends on the obstacles they set up (which aren't announced until a few days before the event), but there are a fair few of them that use rope in creative ways.  :P

• Like 1

And yeah, if you want to come out on race weekend and cheer me on (I'll be wearing a Team John Hancock shirt, I think) I would certainly appreciate it! :D

Duh.

Also my house is always open for Nerd crashing.  Which depending on your start time/location, it may also be easier for you to park at my house and then take public transport/an uber to get to the start line.

• Like 2

Ah, I was wondering when you were going to get back to work on the Codex. Well, then! Good to see you at it. I need to know what happens next.

By the way, I have been meaning to thank you for your kind review on CLARITY. So, thank you! =)

It depends on the obstacles they set up (which aren't announced until a few days before the event), but there are a fair few of them that use rope in creative ways.   :tongue:

I'm looking forward to finding out what they have in store for us. Hopefully when the time comes I will be able to manage at least most of the obstacles!

Duh.

Also my house is always open for Nerd crashing.  Which depending on your start time/location, it may also be easier for you to park at my house and then take public transport/an uber to get to the start line.

Thanks for the offer! I'll check it out and see what's up.

-----------------------------

This month is teaching me that I am letting myself get too scattered again. I've got too many things that I want to do (running, weights, Yoga, class, circus, meditation...) that many of them are falling by the wayside, because I'm not able to focus on them. I'm going to take a step back to try and figure out which ones are the most important for me right now, and focus on those.

The biggest one, though, is finishing this book--and to that end, I'm gonna go lay down some words.

• Like 5

Well, we didn't make it to lightsaber class last night because of a minor SNAFU (a simple error that wasn't realized until we were most of the way there that necessitated us turning around). By the time we got the problem sorted, we wouldn't have made it there until more than halfway through class, so we just bagged it for the night.

Not necessarily a bad thing, though. It was kind of nice to have the night off. The wife and I spent a lot of time just hanging out and talking together ( turns out I like her, who knew? :D ), and I took a little quiet time in my office. Ended up being a nice recharge, once I got the plan-whiplash sorted out.

Feeling pretty good today, despite being kind of tired because I was up too late. The time change still has me really messed up. Based on previous years, it's going to take me at least a week to start getting used to it. 

• Like 3

Eek! Well. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Carrying on with fatigue just sucks.

On the other hand, quality hang out time with the spouse is pretty cool. I understand it's a thing y'all unsingle folk do, though I don't really know what it means. Like, what, do you actually talk to the other person?

• Like 2

Eek! Well. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Carrying on with fatigue just sucks.

On the other hand, quality hang out time with the spouse is pretty cool. I understand it's a thing y'all unsingle folk do, though I don't really know what it means. Like, what, do you actually talk to the other person?

Yeah. We spent about half an hour reading Harry Potter und der Kammer des Schreckens (the 2nd Harry Potter book, German edition) and then we just sat on the couch and talked about stuff. She and I share interests, a penchant for thoughtful conversation, and (most of) a sense of humor... sometimes mine is a bit oblique/dry for her (I blame too much British TV as a kid) but overall it goes well.

Plus, we've got 14 years of shared history, so we no longer have basics to talk about. It's all higher-level conversation, for the most part. Politics (we're mostly on the same page here), religion (she has one, I don't, but we still talk about it), psychology, funny stories, dogs, family, working out/running... whatever the topic. She's smart, funny and a very deep meta-thinker.

It's not urbane witticisms and parlor talk... just real sharing of thoughts with another person. I dunno, it's kind of hard to describe, I guess. There's no one else in the world I talk to like I do with her. I can be totally unguarded, she knows things I would never say out loud to another human being, and the reverse is true as well. She's more than just my wife, she's also my best friend, confidant, and anchor.

Sometimes, this depends on your definition of the word "talk".   ;)

Well. And that. ;)

• Like 4

There's no one else in the world I talk to like I do with her. I can be totally unguarded, she knows things I would never say out loud to another human being, and the reverse is true as well. She's more than just my wife, she's also my best friend, confidant, and anchor.

I am legitimately jealous.  Do everything you can to keep her, man!  Seriously.  Go buy her flowers or something.  haha.  

• Like 2

Yes. Yes. That is a level and degree of companionship that makes me have to say that it's okay for me to be single. 'cuz I'm okay being single. I really am. I'm so okay with it that I have to tell myself that all the time.

Really.

I am.

• Like 1

I am legitimately jealous.  Do everything you can to keep her, man!  Seriously.  Go buy her flowers or something.  haha.  

I got stupid, stupid lucky. There's no other explanation. Don't worry, I intend to be there for her forever.

Not even death will stop me.

Oh, uh, sorry. Got a little weird there. =)

Yes. Yes. That is a level and degree of companionship that makes me have to say that it's okay for me to be single. 'cuz I'm okay being single. I really am. I'm so okay with it that I have to tell myself that all the time.

Really.

I am.

I wish I had some words of wisdom on this, some sage advice that would resonate the earth in its profundity.

Unfortunately, I've got nothing. See above--I stumbled headlong into something amazing way too young, and had just enough good sense to hold onto it for dear life. From my own little world, however, I might say this:

If you ever find a person with whom you can happily share time, but also comfortably share time apart, 

do everything you can to keep them.

----------------------

Friends, last night was a quiet night at Kung Fu. There were only two of us in attendance: myself, and my eldest Sihing. Because of this, Sifu broke us into forms practice quickly after our warm up and calisthenics.

And this ended up being a very good thing. I am once again honored and humbled by how much trust my Sifu grants me. I am currently learning not one, but two weapon forms simultaneously--and last night, Sifu began my additional instruction in the signature hand form of our style. (The link is actually Chiu Chi-Ling performing the set, who is not directly in my lineage, but he's my great-grandmaster (Chiu Wei)'s biological younger brother, and also the grand master of that school in Frankfurt I want to train with!)

I'm very excited to be finally beginning my Gung Ji training, and let me tell ya, it is murder on the wrists, shoulders and forearms, because everything at the beginning is done with maximum dynamic tension. (It's a good kind of murder though.) 

It also sounds like I will be testing for my white sash very soon. I've sort of gotten over the whole belt thing already, but still, it would be nice to go to my next tournament with something to represent my accomplishments so far.

• Like 3

Had fun playing the Firefly board game last night with my wife and a couple of friends. It's a great game, but it's really easy to play for 2-3 hours and not even get close to the actual game-winning goals. 

I'm hoping to get in some writing time today, but work is crazy busy, so we'll see.

• Like 2
On 17. März 2016 at 1:52 PM, Kyellan said:

If you ever find a person with whom you can happily share time, but also comfortably share time apart, 

do everything you can to keep them.

(The link is actually Chiu Chi-Ling performing the set, who is not directly in my lineage, but he's my great-grandmaster (Chiu Wei)'s biological younger brother, and also the grand master of that school in Frankfurt I want to train with!)

Nice quote and so true. You still are seperate persons, who enjoy time together. And doing things apart. 

Ah, I wanted to ask you abou that today. Cool that worked out. Guess you told me before. My brain is a mess these days.

• Like 1

Holy epic redesign, Batman! >.>

Not sure how I'm feeling about these new forums yet, but I suppose we'll get used to it, eh?

On 3/20/2016 at 1:52 AM, Luciana Valerosa Culming said:

Ah, I wanted to ask you abou that today. Cool that worked out. Guess you told me before. My brain is a mess these days.

I haven't actually locked it down with them yet. I don't want to reach out too early and leave a huge space of time between when I talk to them and when I actually get there. I'm planning to make contact somewhere around May or June--that way there's plenty of time to talk and plan, but it's not a full six months away from initial contact. So right now it's still just a dream =)

------------------------------

My weekend was basically a bust. I don't know if it was this ridiculous spring snowstorm or whether I was fighting off an illness, but I wasn't feeling great all weekend without any real clear signs of anything. I did get the O2 sensor installed in my wife's car on Saturday with the help of my Kung Fu brother (yay things which are actually easy to do on a car!) so I've just got to reset the code now and we should be good to go.

It was too cold to go running (0o C/32o F is my lower limit) and then it turned out that open gym at the circus was not available because they were doing a show up there, so I ended up with kind of no plans and nothing to do. I learned a new song with my guitar (turned out to be pretty easy, so I actually tabbed it out and submitted it to Ultimate Guitar since no one else had done it yet) and hung out, but the general malaise ended up putting me to sleep on the couch in the afternoon, despite having gotten 10 hours of sleep the night before.

And although I'm not feeling totally better today, I got up this morning and pressed some weights.

Bench: 5x5 / 115 lbs

OHP: 2x10 / 45 lbs

Inverted Rows: 2x10

Now my arms and upper back are complaining, but if they didn't want the pain they shouldn't have been attached to my torso, or something. :D

• Like 3