• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kyellan

The Gray Sentinel III: Kyellan Does the Weird Stuff

4 hours ago, Kyellan said:

Holy epic redesign, Batman! >.>

Not sure how I'm feeling about these new forums yet, but I suppose we'll get used to it, eh?

Yes.

4 hours ago, Kyellan said:

I don't know if it was this ridiculous spring snowstorm

Quoting for the ridiculous accuracy of this statement.  I was not pleased this morning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Quoting for the ridiculous accuracy of this statement.  I was not pleased this morning.

And yet it's already almost gone up here! I can see grass pretty much everywhere that the sun is shining already. That was fast.

• Like 1

Oh, I've got a little victory to share as well. In 2014, I bought a black suit for a friend's wedding. At the time, it fit me pretty well.

Yesterday, I came across the pants in the laundry. I put them on, buttoned them and fastened them... and they fell straight down. There's not even a hint of friction there. :D

There's probably no chance at all I could work with the ones from when I was 295, eh?

• Like 4

Yesssssssss. 

Those moments are always fun. I had a pair of shorts from way back when, and when I found them again I realized both my legs could fit in a single leg. I'll have to see if I can find that picture. It's kinda motivating....

• Like 1

It's a good thing we are resilient critters. Today my entire upper body hurts, thanks to DOMS in my arms and shoulders and rapidly-forming bruises from my wrist to my elbow on both arms. And yet I feel pretty good about this whole thing, despite the aches and twinges.

I think that Facebook post I saw is right... if we ever met aliens, they would be terrified of us.

My tab got approved at Ultimate Guitar! I'm so excited. This is the first time I've ever felt confident enough of one for a song I actually figured out myself, rather than referring to somebody else's tab. But it plays so perfectly along with the live version that I couldn't help but contribute it when I was confident that it worked.

I think I may have finally adjusted to the time change. I woke up before 6AM this morning, way before my alarm, and actually felt okay with that. As usual, it takes a week or slightly longer to fully adjust. I wish they'd just abolish the whole thing already. Pick one! I don't care which =)

• Like 3

Yeah, we humans can be pretty scary.

spacemarine.jpg

--------------

Lightsaber class was pretty good. Interesting techniques and a decent workout. I was worried about blending the adult and family classes, but it's actually been very good. I like working with Sifu's kids especially (they remind me SO MUCH of my brother and I at that age) and they seem to concentrate pretty well when I work with them, which is a good thing.

Got dueling day coming up on Saturday. Should be a good time; we've got two new guys to break in. :D

Haven't made much writing progress since last week. Hopefully will get a chance to do that today, it'll depend on work. It's nothing like it used to be, when I could crank out a book in a couple of months during my downtime. Back then I had a lot fewer projects that I was working on, and it's true what they say: the reward for doing a good job is more work. 

• Like 2

Forgot to add: I've found a way to turn what I know of my new Gung Ji form into a sort of high-tension Tai Chi exercise. Since pretty much everything I have so far is stretching and dynamic tension techniques, I added a resetting maneuver at the end of what I have to make it flow back into the starting position. With everything done slow and deliberately (imagine Tai Chi with EVERY SINGLE MUSCLE AT MAXIMUM TENSION) I am able to do it multiple times in a row without breaking rhythm.

I did this 5 times consecutively after waking up this morning, and then meditated for 10 minutes immediately after, before starting my day in earnest. Haven't felt this good in a while.

• Like 3

Very cool, man! It sounds like you found a way to take your art and make it an expression of yourself. It sounds like a kind of qigong from out here.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kishi said:

Very cool, man! It sounds like you found a way to take your art and make it an expression of yourself. It sounds like a kind of qigong from out here.

That's exactly how I've been working it, yeah. Yes, with the dynamic tension it's a body strengthening exercise, but I'm aware enough of Chinese philosophy and the principles of martial arts to know that the beginning of this form is not just for the body--it is also for the chi, stoking that inner fire in such a very unmistakably Southern Chinese way. :D

----------------------

We had two guys recovering from illness last night, so we did another forms night, and Sifu corrected a few minor things and then added another pretty sizable section to my Gung Ji knowledge. Now I have more to add to my improvised-qigong practice!

Otherwise, nothing major to report. On with another day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kyellan said:

Southern Chinese

This makes me think of a guy speaking Chinese with a Southern Drawl.  I totally want to hear that!  

• Like 1

Great, now I'm not going to be able to do this at all without picturing myself like this. Thanks, O Fearless Guild Leader :D 

You know, now that I think about it, one of the moves in this form looks an awful lot like this...

12.gif

• Like 2

Well, I mean, you gotta put your mind into it to a certain degree anyway, right? Might as well imagine something fun. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kishi said:

Well, I mean, you gotta put your mind into it to a certain degree anyway, right? Might as well imagine something fun. :)

Maybe it will help build my power levels! I do sometimes wake up looking remarkably like a Super Saiyan (blond hair + bed head!)

1619018_200x130.png

Speaking of building power levels, I had two small but notable victories today.

1) A co-worker offered up free Girl Scout cookies, which I did not touch.

2) Also, work decided to throw a 'happy hour' thing today for socializing, and brought in several varieties of frankly delicious-looking cookies, Dunkins' coffee, and various other snacks. (No booze--FALSE ADVERTISING!) I elected not to go, and focused on my work instead.

Given that I know very well my weakness for free food, it was just easier to avoid it altogether. 

• Like 3

Well, the challenge is over, and apparently has been over for days. Oops.

Once again, I allowed my focus to be too wide--and like a shotgun aiming at a very small target from 100 yards, pretty much everything missed the mark I was aiming for. I ran a couple of times, went to two circus sessions (although that was not my fault, as open gym was cancelled twice: once for a show, once for Easter), weightlifted a couple of times, etc. Too many things resulted in paralysis, as it has every time before when I let my goals wander into something vague and non-specific.

Not that it was a bad month, by any stretch. Just that challenge-wise, it was not the best, as my goals were too broad and non-specific. I'll do better on that next time.

As usual, my focus is and will continue to be on my martial art. The rest is dressing, really. I'm still doing very well at that, making it to 3-4 classes per week with no sign of slowing, and continuing to make progress and learn new things. We've got a confirmed tournament (the Cambridge Wu Dao one which was my first tournament experience last year) the weekend of June 4-5. Our local Pride Day demonstration is coming up in May. In April, I'll be running the B.A.A. 5k on Boston Marathon weekend, and then attending PAXEast the following weekend.

It's gonna be a good month, and I've got some ideas on how I want to spend my focus.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kyellan said:

Well, the challenge is over, and apparently has been over for days. Oops.

All things considered, I'd still say you had a really good challenge.  Even if you didn't quite hit all your goals the way you imagined.  

• Like 1

Well, at least you kept your core curriculum intact. You're still doing the martial arts, which you enjoy, so it's good.

And honestly, as long as you kept your core and had fun, the rest can be adjusted and fixed.

I've found myself there many times before, and I think I might be there again. And it's okay, man. As long as you learn from it and put it together in a way that sustains your life, you'll be fine.

Also, did you ever think you were going to get to a point in your life where this would be an issue? Pretty incredible, huh?

• Like 2

On 3/28/2016 at 11:00 AM, Oramac said:

All things considered, I'd still say you had a really good challenge.  Even if you didn't quite hit all your goals the way you imagined.  

Quite true. And I definitely got my head turned around correctly for April. It's not like March was a step backward by any means!

14 hours ago, Kishi said:

Well, at least you kept your core curriculum intact. You're still doing the martial arts, which you enjoy, so it's good.

And honestly, as long as you kept your core and had fun, the rest can be adjusted and fixed.

I've found myself there many times before, and I think I might be there again. And it's okay, man. As long as you learn from it and put it together in a way that sustains your life, you'll be fine.

Also, did you ever think you were going to get to a point in your life where this would be an issue? Pretty incredible, huh?

This is all excellent and very true. I didn't stop going to class, I added in a few weird experimental things, and nowhere in there was there a backward stumble. It's all forward, just not quite the way I intended.

And yeah, seriously. If these are my problems, I think things could be MUCH worse! :D 

• Like 2