Charlie_Quinn - Weakness is for the weak

Charlie_Quinn

I'm kinda making up this challenge as I go so some goals might get edited later!

Like a lot of people here, my goals every challenge stay very much the same, as my main quest is the same each month - get myself ready for all the OCR's and Running races I have planned. The last few challenges have been exactly the same, running, lifting/climbing and mobility work and that's been great (well, except for the running) but it's starting to feel a bit dull having goals for things that I will do anyway. 

The point of these challenges (in my opinion) should be to help work on the things you are struggling with, so with that in mind, my goals this time will be to work on my weaknesses.

original.jpg

Weakness 1

Keeping to a running schedule. 

I love to go out for a run, but with the cold weather recently, I've been finding excuses not to go out and then I have to make up the run later in the week or it gets skipped completely

Solution:

Set a proper running schedule and stick to it.

In the last 2 weeks of this challenge, I'll be starting my Half Marathon training plan which calls for 3 runs a week. So the first 2 weeks will be planning 3 runs a week on set days and sticking to those days.

My running days are going to be Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.

I'm allowing myself to switch days only if something big comes up and I absolutely can't run that day, or if I get sick or injured!

Weakness 2

Lifting my own body-weight

When it comes to OCR's being able to lift your own body-weight is a huge advantage on most obstacles. I tend to neglect body-weight work in favor of lifting weights instead. I want to eventually be able to do cool things like pull ups, one handed push ups and eventually muscle ups! I want to get better at climbing too so being able to comfortably lift my own body-weight is going to be a big help.

Solution:

Work on the following exercises each week

- Push Ups

- Dips

- Body-weight rows

- Chin-ups(?)

I'll be doing each exercise at least once each week. I've put a question mark next to chin ups as I'm only able to do one chin up from standing, not from a deadhang at the moment. So I may do some GtG work here to help me get to finally do a proper chin up and then hopefully, more than one! The last time I did GtG work on chin ups I started getting pain in my elbow so this will depend on how my elbow feels.

Weakness 3

Time management

Quite simply, there aren't enough hours in my day to fit in everything I want to do with the things I have to do.

Solution:

Make more hours in the day! Wake up earlier to workout or run at lunchtime

I used to get up and do my workouts in the morning, but then I got lazy. I'm going to get up early and get my workouts done first thing. It also means I can double up on workouts (run in the morning and lift in the evening) if needs be. Once I start my Half Marathon training plan, I may utilize the park near my work to run at lunchtime - it has some big hills that are great for hill work!

Side Goal:

Take better care of my skin

The cold weather, climbing and lifting has done a number on my skin over the last few months, mostly on my hands. I'm a completely rubbish girl and tend to "forget" to moisturize and don't take care of the callouses that have formed on my hands. The goal is just to take care of my skin better, use body scrub and moisturizer regularly and pumice any callouses that form and moisturize my hands daily. 

• Like 12

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

I'm here for the climbing and pull ups!  And I sympathize with the hand care problems.  I suck at being a girl, too, so my hands are constantly a mess.  

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I'm here for the climbing and pull ups!  And I sympathize with the hand care problems.  I suck at being a girl, too, so my hands are constantly a mess.

Glad I'm not the only one! To be honest I don't care about how my hand look, I just don't want them splitting open cos that looks painful!

Here for awesome!

I'll try my best not to disappoint and deliver some awesome.

Following along.

I think your goals are great!  Following along.

Thanks guys, good to see you again. ☺
  • Like 2

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

Already need to slightly edit my running goal! Nothing major, I just remembered I have a 10k trail/adventure run on Sunday 13th March so that week, my saturday run will be moved to Sunday.

2020 Races: 

I really like your goals. The running schedule one in particular. Once you lock into the schedule, you'll be surprised at the conditions you can deal with. It might be a good time to look at your great. For me, buying warmer gloves made a big difference (along with admitting there were days when I actually need to wear ski mittens). Maybe see if one new piece of cold- or rain-gear would help.

oh...and what is GtG training? I tried google and only got "good to go" I'm guessing something about grip??

• Like 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

OCR prep madness!! Yay!! The goals and the challenge looks fun, CQ ;)

And I guess I didn't realize weakness is for the weak... I thought it was for a-holes and two-bit crack whores? Oh well, when you're wrong, your wrong ;)

Kittens are my "weakness"

20-facts-about-deadpool-that-will-make-y

Wolfie & DP

"Daddy needs to express some Rage."

• Like 1

Wild Wolf

Class: Vigilante/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 178#

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Gotham Project Pt. 2

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Gotham Project: 1

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

oh...and what is GtG training? I tried google and only got "good to go" I'm guessing something about grip??

Grease the Groove.  It's when you choose to just do a lot of single reps throughout a day, rather than doing 3-5 sets of max reps.  Generally, people use it for pull ups or other exercises where their max reps per set is like 1 or 2, since a GtG approach lets them get a much higher total volume of reps.

I'm planning on taking a GtG approach for my pull ups, too.  

• Like 2

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I really like your goals. The running schedule one in particular. Once you lock into the schedule, you'll be surprised at the conditions you can deal with. It might be a good time to look at your great. For me, buying warmer gloves made a big difference (along with admitting there were days when I actually need to wear ski mittens). Maybe see if one new piece of cold- or rain-gear would help.

I know the running schedule is going to be the hardest thing to implement, but once I get into a routine it will feel a lot easier. I like the idea about some new gear. I've been thinking about investing in a new pair of Under Armour leggings. Those babies are seriously warm, expensive, but warm!

Lifting your own bodyweight FTW !

"Now we know that Trolls also explode."

Everything FTW! 

OCR prep madness!! Yay!! The goals and the challenge looks fun, CQ ;)

And I guess I didn't realize weakness is for the weak... I thought it was for a-holes and two-bit crack whores? Oh well, when you're wrong, your wrong ;)

Kittens are my "weakness"

20-facts-about-deadpool-that-will-make-y

Wolfie & DP

"Daddy needs to express some Rage."

Well DP, it's time to turn your weakness into your strength. Deadpool's kitten army has a great ring to it.

This is going to be good, I can tell!!

tumblr_n2labpo8SR1rqag6xo2_r1_250.gif

*remembers that she should moisturize her hands*

I forgot to do them when I left home this morning. By the time I got to work they looked like a old lady hands. Winter sucks.

Subbed for OCR aqesomeness, and because I need to shamelessly steal whatever wisdom for time management I can glean...

Steal away. Though I'm not sure much wisdom will be imparted.

2020 Races: 

Day 1

I have absolutely no idea how I managed to get up for a run this morning. Last night was not a good night. The Hubs has been sick with a cold/flu/bug/thing for at least the last 3 weeks. It started as a cold, turned into a mucous cough and now his throat has completely swollen up. It's so bad that he spent all night retching. He kept having to get up to go to the bathroom in case he was going to vom. He wanted to sleep on the couch to stop waking me up but I convinced him to stay in the bed and I moved to the sofa instead. This was at about 2am so I was convinced I wasn't going to able to get myself up at 5:45. Luckily my sofa is ridiculously comfy to sleep on so I got a few hours kip in between checking to make sure Stu was OK. 

Amazingly, when my alarm went off, I got straight up, put my running gear on, checked on Stu to make sure he wasn't running a fever (thankfully he wasn't) and went out for my run. It wasn't anything spectacular, only 20 minutes. Just a quick out and back so I can get used to running so early.

Stu is currently sitting at the quacks waiting to see a doctor. I'm sure they'll just have to give him some antibiotics to bring the swelling down but I'm still worried about him. Keeping my fingers crossed.

• Like 4

2020 Races: 

Following! hope Stu gets better soon

Thanks! Just got word from him and it's nothing serious which is a relief.

[emoji253] wish him better soon!

Must have been pretty chilly this morning at 6 am.

It was a bit frosty. But you know what they say; there's no bad weather, just bad gear! Hat, gloves, neck gaiter and thermal leggings and top kept me pretty toasty.

The quack says Stu has pharyngitis, which is just a posh name for an inflamed throat. He's got some anesthetic spray to help stop the retching and has to gargle with salt water for a few days, which will probably make him retch again! At least it's nothing serious, irritating for him, but not serious.

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

Followin!

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

CLIMB EVERYTHING!

• Like 2

[Level ?] Veteran Dwarf Slayer (Path of the Zealot Barbarian/Champion Fighter)

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Equipment: Vanquisher's Leathers, Gridle & War Shroud, Howling War Axe (rare), Adventurer's pack & Dwarven alchemy kit.

Total experience earned to date:  0 / 5000 XP

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.