Charlie_Quinn - Weakness is for the weak

Charlie_Quinn

Ive done running before without contact lens and only realised after a mile or so that everything's blurry. Luckily i don't drive...

Running OCRs is about the only thing I do without my glasses, mostly out of the fear of losing them in the mud and muck.

I'm getting so impatient for my first OCR of this year. It's been 6 months since my last one and still have 4 weeks till the next. I NEED MUD AND WALLS AND MONKEY BARS!!

Right there with you!  My last one was in July, and the earliest I can get to another if May, and that's if I make the long pilgrimage to Montana!  Otherwise it'll be July.  :(

So do you have to CF with glasses, or just attempt it blind? I can't imagine either being good! I can lift with glasses on but then I don't do any Olympic lifting so no worry of my glasses flying off!

Only speaking for myself, but I don't find CrossFitting in glasses to be much of an inconvenience.  I mean, getting sweat drops on the inside of the lens is a nuisance, or having them slide down my nose after landing from a barrage of muscle-ups or pull-ups is a pest, but it's worth the sacrifice.  I've tried a few workouts without them and I enjoyed it not!  Especially trying to read my time on the clock after the workout was over.  Nope, nope, nope!

• Like 2

[Level ??] Rurik, the Thunderer

Class: Stormborn War-Shaman (Path of Giants Barbarian/Conquest Paladin/Elemental Domain Cleric)

BRUTALITY 11 | FINESSE 10 | VIGOR 11 | INSIGHT 14 | WILL 13

Equipment:  Studded leather armor, war club, plus adventurer's pack containing rations, rope, and nature-based potions. 

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wild Wolf

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager

This challenge has me jonesing for a Spartan race so badly.

Me too brotha, luckily Warrior Dash this weekend...at sub 80% but whatever...

I'm getting so impatient for my first OCR of this year. It's been 6 months since my last one and still have 4 weeks till the next. I NEED MUD AND WALLS AND MONKEY BARS!!

Y'all make me smile.

• Like 2

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

You know I said this morning that my hand were looking better and it looked like protective skin was forming? Yeah, scrap all that.

So now I have a tear on the right hand too. I guess it felt left out.

Sent while a top a wall or lost on a trail. Thanks, Rangerbrain!

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

You know I said this morning that my hand were looking better and it looked like protective skin was forming? Yeah, scrap all that.

attachicon.gifIMAG0528.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0530.jpg

Dislike. 

We just had a discussion about this on our local OCR group page, so, timely, but sucky.

450.jpg

• Like 2

Rebel Scum Current Challenge

It just takes awhile for the hands to toughen up.  And even after that, it's easy to get carried away with the climbing and continue pushing to the point when your hands tear.  I've found with the climbing that I generally tear when I'm compensating for fried forearms by gripping even harder on the holds.  So, hand tearing is a good sign that it's time to stop (after I tape up the hands, climb more, tear more, and then have the tape pull off).  ;)

I hope you at least had a great time with the bouldering.  :)  

• Like 5

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

attachicon.gifIMAG0528.jpgattachicon.gifIMAG0530.jpg

Sent while a top a wall or lost on a trail. Thanks, Rangerbrain!

Sorry it happened but wear the scars proudly, you earned them.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

So do you have to CF with glasses, or just attempt it blind? I can't imagine either being good! I can lift with glasses on but then I don't do any Olympic lifting so no worry of my glasses flying off!

Running OCRs is about the only thing I do without my glasses, mostly out of the fear of losing them in the mud and muck.

[...]

Only speaking for myself, but I don't find CrossFitting in glasses to be much of an inconvenience.  I mean, getting sweat drops on the inside of the lens is a nuisance, or having them slide down my nose after landing from a barrage of muscle-ups or pull-ups is a pest, but it's worth the sacrifice.  I've tried a few workouts without them and I enjoyed it not!  Especially trying to read my time on the clock after the workout was over.  Nope, nope, nope!

I can barely see the palms of my hands without glasses or contacts, so nothing's done without one of the two equipped. That said, sweat drops on glasses and having them slide/bounce around is one thing, but with all the CF movements I risk having them flying off my face, so if I forget to wear contacts one day I either have to *gasp* skip a workout or do something a lot more static (i.e. Oly Lifting)

For OCRs, I buy daily contacts and use cheap sunglasses (ZZ Top reference!). That way I won't mind if either is lost or destroyed, although I'd hate to run part of a race half or no vision. Combining contacts with swimming pool goggles helped me get past underwater obstacles in Legion Run, but back in the finals of the local CF Community Meetup, the goggles became a necklace once I took a dive into the sea and I think I lost a contact, having to do the rest half-sighted.

Adapt! Overcome! Ranger!

• Like 4

Lvl 58 Multitasker

Dislike. 

We just had a discussion about this on our local OCR group page, so, timely, but sucky.

450.jpg

I saw something like this in the pharmacy. Have you tried it? I might invest in some if it's helpful.

It just takes awhile for the hands to toughen up.  And even after that, it's easy to get carried away with the climbing and continue pushing to the point when your hands tear.  I've found with the climbing that I generally tear when I'm compensating for fried forearms by gripping even harder on the holds.  So, hand tearing is a good sign that it's time to stop (after I tape up the hands, climb more, tear more, and then have the tape pull off).   ;)

I hope you at least had a great time with the bouldering.   :)

I said pretty much the same thing to my mum last night when she asked why I didn't wear gloves! Bless her heart.

I may have climbed for longer than I should have after it tore. But despite leaving my blood on the wall, I had a really good time!

Sorry it happened but wear the scars proudly, you earned them.

Oh I will, I already posted those pictures proudly on Facebook! 

• Like 2

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

I can barely see the palms of my hands without glasses or contacts, so nothing's done without one of the two equipped. That said, sweat drops on glasses and having them slide/bounce around is one thing, but with all the CF movements I risk having them flying off my face, so if I forget to wear contacts one day I either have to *gasp* skip a workout or do something a lot more static (i.e. Oly Lifting)

For OCRs, I buy daily contacts and use cheap sunglasses (ZZ Top reference!). That way I won't mind if either is lost or destroyed, although I'd hate to run part of a race half or no vision. Combining contacts with swimming pool goggles helped me get past underwater obstacles in Legion Run, but back in the finals of the local CF Community Meetup, the goggles became a necklace once I took a dive into the sea and I think I lost a contact, having to do the rest half-sighted.

Adapt! Overcome! Ranger!

Disposable contacts are definitely the way to go with OCR. I've never actually lost a lens even on water obstacles. On my last OCR of last year a friend decided to go down a slide into a lake and didn't take his glasses off. He never saw those suckers again!

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

It's so easy to get carried away. :) Glad you have fun, even on your own!

Plus, I wasn't getting picked up for another 40 minutes. What was I supposed to do, stop climbing and sit patiently and wait for my lift? Not a chance!  :D

------------------

Day 4

So other than the hand issues, climbing was fun. A few of the areas were being re-set so wasn't as many problems to try as last time. I decided that it was a good time to do one of my mini challenges (as I hadn't actually specified what challenge I was going to do this week) - attempt some of the Tiger (v2) problems. I tried as many as I could and to my surprise I completed a few! I can tell my grip is improving as I usually really struggle with pinches and slopers but managed a few problems that had some awkward ones. 

Afterwards I used the rings to do some body-weight rows but I was properly spent by then so only managed 2 sets of 5. Probably won't count them towards my BW workout for the week so I'll need to do them again on Sunday. On the way home, I remembered that Friday is a rest day so I could have a beer! Brought myself one of my favorite London Porter's and enjoyed that while watching Agent Carter. Good times.

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

*counter-stalk initiated*

OCR prep is the best. I am in the same boat as you. Which courses do you tend to favour? I am a dedicated Tough Mudder for life now myself.

• Like 1

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

oh... now I know what I'm using my variance on.

I've only just starting drinking dark ale. I'm favoring ones with a chocolaty or licorice flavor. My favorite is a local supermarket brand that is wonderfully smoky with just a hint of chocolate and a licorice finish. Yummy. 

*counter-stalk initiated*

OCR prep is the best. I am in the same boat as you. Which courses do you tend to favour? I am a dedicated Tough Mudder for life now myself.

You can see all my planned races in my signature. Most of them probably won't mean anything to you as I tend to pick the smaller UK grown ones. We have a great OCR community over here which means that there are always so many to choose from. 

I've done 3 Tough Mudders now, I think I'm pretty much done with them. I love what they do and I think they are at the forefront when it comes to obstacle innovation, I just have issues with their habit of charging for absolutely everything on top of the high ticket price. Just for a comparison, I brought a 3 race pass for Dirty Dozen Races for the same price as a standard price ticket for TM and DD won't charge me to park, drop off my bag or for people to come and watch me!

Sorry, I didn't mean to rant and ramble about that for so long! 

• Like 3

2020 Races: 

Sorry, I didn't mean to rant and ramble about that for so long! 

well, it's your challenge so technically you could rant for 3 pages if you wanted. By the way I was cheking your signature and I gotta admit, I love the race's names. They all sound über badass

• Like 1

Instagram/Facebook/Epic Quest

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3(Holiday Mini)| #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9|#10| #11| #12| #13 | #14

Current Challenge: Respawn

I know what you mean about the costs of TM. Not thrilled with that at all.

I wish there were more OCRs in my area. Ottawa is not a hotspot for it though, sadly.

• Like 1

"What doesn't kill me better start running", level 7 Furyan Assassin
My Journey From Fat to Fit: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|CURRENT

A proud member of the Champion House; Targaryen (Assassin's mini), Hufflepuff bravery is forgetting to be afraid because the thing is so important that the risk doesn't even matter (Assassin's mini) , Hellfire Club represent! (Assassin's mini)

well, it's your challenge so technically you could rant for 3 pages if you wanted. By the way I was cheking your signature and I gotta admit, I love the race's names. They all sound über badass

They certainly like to pick the badass names for these things. Rough Runner is a good one, it's more "the fun one" of the OCR family. Lots of obstacles based on Total Wipeout, Gladiators and Ninja Warrior. The last obstacle is running up the travelator from Gladiators. If I can figure out how to upload it, I'll put the video up of me getting up the travelator last year.

I know what you mean about the costs of TM. Not thrilled with that at all.

I wish there were more OCRs in my area. Ottawa is not a hotspot for it though, sadly.

That's a shame. The OCR World Championships are in Canada this year, maybe that will encourage some more events in your area soon.  

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

I just wrote a long update on today and my laptop suddenly decided to restart itself without warning before I could post! Let's try again!

Day 6

I allowed myself a lie in this morning as don't have many plans this weekend, went out for a long run after breakfast. I forgot to charge my running watch though so it died around 40 minutes in! Switched over to Strava on my phone instead for the last 2km. I lost a little data but I'm sure I did 9km based on the distance I was at when I turned around. Happy with the run and how it felt. My calf was a little tight at the half way point but stretching it out seemed to help. I'm feeling good for the 10k run next Sunday.

Going to chill for the rest of today and finish off the week tomorrow with some lifting and maybe a little hike with the spouse if the weather isn't totally naff. He's much better now so time for him to start training for his 100km walk!

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

It's always kind of a victory when you completely wear yourself out like that.

Great job on the long run this weekend!

Thanks! The long run felt really good. I love long weekend runs when the weather is pleasant and you can take as long as you need and not have to rush. It's really freeing.

Following. Hoping to get steal some motivation to train for OCR's. Also jealous that you have a place to climb, I have one expensive climbing wall within reasonable distance

Welcome! That sucks about your wall. Do you still get to go occasionally?

Well, not all OCR's have the best names http://www.toughsht.co.uk/ ' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'> http://www.toughsht.co.uk/

"How eager the hands that reach for love."

Haha! I saw that one advertised last year. It was for WaterAid charity so all the obstacles were toilet themed. Only in the UK!

• Like 2

2020 Races: 

Week 1 Wrap Up

Weakness 1

Keeping to a running schedule: 3/3

Weakness 2

Lifting my own body-weight

- Push Ups

- Dips

- Body-weight rows

- Chin-ups(?)

Weakness 3

Time management

I'm counting this as a pass. I got up for my early morning runs but didn't get up early on other days. But I got up when I needed to so that's a pass.

Side Goal:

Take better care of my skin

Another pass, I've been taking care of my hands and have been moisturizing the rest of me after showering. The tear on my hand the other day has made my hands back to how they were a week ago but I've been taking good care of the tear this time.

Overall

Passes all around on week one. WIN!

---------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I may have pushed myself a little too far yesterday. Went for a long walk with Stu in the morning. We walked about 11km in total and it was really lovely but tiring. I stupidly then did some lifting when I got back and completely exhausted myself! I was so tired I went to bed at 9:30! 

This morning my alarm went off at 5:45 but I couldn't physically move! I felt so bad that I thought that the plague had finally got it's grubby mitts on me. I've worked at home today just in case but I think I was just completely exhausted. Feeling a little better right now so I'm going to go for my run this evening and see how that goes. 

• Like 8

2020 Races: