Hello all!

Over the course of the last challenge, I kept a list of things that I want to be able to do, primarily inspired my our awesome mini challenge, but also as an extension of my splits and pushup work from last challenge

They are:

• Crow Pose
  • Middle Splits
  • Right Splits
  • Pistol Squat
  • Diamond Pushups

So my goals are going to revolve around getting to these things. I'll do basic training for this month and next month's challenge I'll really push on getting these specific things down.

I have to tone down the requirements for this challenge because we have my husbands family visiting for two consecutive long weekends this month, right in the middle of the challenge. So I'll keep it flexible with short focused tasks that can be done within my standard workouts.

Quest 1: Stretching 4 times a week. With the specific goal of working on middle splits/crow, ie inner thigh flexibility and splits (primarily hamstring for me). Specific stretches to be determined later (probably tomorrow). [+1 DEX, +1 STA]

Quest 2: Crow pose training 1 time a week. Probably a yoga flow to crow video, but may vary or include other hand balance work. [+2 DEX]

Quest 3: Squat training 3 times a week. To include beginner (and maybe intermediate shrimp squats) 15/leg, weighted squats (probably goblet), and attempts at easier forms of pistol squats [+1 STR, +1 DEX] (this might become 2 times a week depending on how the first week feels)

Quest 4: Diamond pushups 4 times a week. I'll start on the 3 step of my staircase the first week and work my way down each week. I'll do 3-5 pushups each time. I'll also do 10 regular pushups to maintain what I have gained the last few challenges. [+1 STR, +1 STA]

Quest 5: Alcohol restriction: 6 drinks or fewer per week. It worked well last time, and I want to do even better this round! Not specifically related to my list of goals, but good for me. [+2 CON]

Grading will once again be P/F on a weekly basis, earning one quarter of the points each round.

Tracking:

Quest 1, 0/4, 0/4, 0/4, 0/4

Quest 2: 0/1, 0/1, 0/1, 0/1

Quest 3: 0/3, 0/3, 0/3, 0/3

Quest 4: 0/4, 0/4, 0/4, 0/4

Quest 5: 0/5, 0/5, 0/5, 0/5

Theme tbd, and I'll post some starting stats tomorrow! 

• Like 3

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Hi!

Crows and splits are excellent things to want to do. :D Following!

Hiiiiiiii! It looks like we have some similar goals this round, also following :) . I may have to post a progress video of crow to get some tips from everyone. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 17 | 16 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Week 1 Day 1

Things are happening! I managed to stub my second toe so hard I knocked the whole nail loose. So it's really not a fan of weight bearing. I can walk, but there's a little limp, so I don't know if shrimp squats will happen this week. But I did some (primarily one legged) pushups and figured out my stretching plan for the month. 

I also did the exercises from this awesome crow video that Greyspeed found, love it! I held crow for a good half of a second :tongue: I think I'll try to do a progress video tomorrow, or Wednesday.

My starting side split measurement is 14" from the ground, so a long way to go.

Tracking:

Quest 1, 1/4, 0/4, 0/4, 0/4

Quest 2: 1/1, 0/1, 0/1, 0/1

Quest 3: 0/3, 0/3, 0/3, 0/3

Quest 4: 1/4, 0/4, 0/4, 0/4

Quest 5: 0/5, 0/5, 0/5, 0/5

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Like the list approach to goals.  Some really tangible things to work towards!

Hope the toe hurries up and heals.

Thanks! It's doing better today after I carefully clipped the toenail (TMI?) Hopefully I'll get squats in tomorrow.

Half a second is an excellent start!

Thanks, I'm not 100% sure it's half a second, that's hard to count :) But there's a definite moment of hovering

Current Challenge

Week 1 Day 2

Pushups (still one-legged) happened, as did stretching.

The big news is I made my crow pose video. I tried to match up the videos (dual-angle, ooooooo) as best as possible, they aren't quite right, but close enough. Bonus, you get to see me almost fall on my face and make my "Owwww, that hurt my toe" face. But my crow looked nicer than I thought it did, so I'm pretty pleased. Time to work on actually balancing

http://youtu.be/UHftnNlyHN8

Tracking:

Quest 1, 2/4, 0/4, 0/4, 0/4

Quest 2: 1/1, 0/1, 0/1, 0/1

Quest 3: 0/3, 0/3, 0/3, 0/3

Quest 4: 2/4, 0/4, 0/4, 0/4

Quest 5: 1/5, 0/5, 0/5, 0/5

• Like 1

Current Challenge

That looks great, and you're so close! The one thing that I can see is that you need to lean even further forward so that the wrists and elbows are vertically aligned. It *could* be that your wrists are a little stiff, in which case I'd spend a bit more time warming them up beforehand. But it looks really nice and I know you'll get it soon!

Thank you for the feedback! I should have mentioned in the post that I definitely could use advice :)

I never even thought of warming up my wrists, I'll add that to my warmup list. I can totally see what you are talking about. I'm thinking looking at my video compared to successful ones I also need to raise my head more, going forward instead of down.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Week 1 Day 3

The big news today is that I actually did squat practice. I did the weighted squats, shrimp squats and even attempted a pistol squat. I'm calling what I did a "weight-assisted, elevated, negative pistol squat". I think I'll do these progressions and see how they help.

I also finalized my stretching routine, I think I got it into a nice progression that doesn't require getting up and down over and over. If anyone has other stretches to suggest, please let me know!

:30 Forward fold with shoulder stretch

:30 deep squat

:30 L/R half-squat

:30 L/R hamstring stretch

:30 left pigeon

:30 left splits

:30 right pigeon

:30 right splits

1:00 butterfly with forward fold

1:00 frog stretch

1:00 wall straddle split

1:00 L/R leg band stretch

Tracking:

Quest 1, 3/4, 0/4, 0/4, 0/4

Quest 3: 1/3, 0/3, 0/3, 0/3

Quest 4: 3/4, 0/4, 0/4, 0/4

Quest 5: 3/5, 0/5, 0/5, 0/5

• Like 2

Current Challenge

We're gonna be a great team! Oooo you're working on splits! I was able to do those once for about a day in the ninth grade when I had to for dance class, but now I'm hopelessly far from them. I also struggle with alcohol restriction!

Looks like we have several goals in common :D

• Like 2

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

We're gonna be a great team! Oooo you're working on splits! I was able to do those once for about a day in the ninth grade when I had to for dance class, but now I'm hopelessly far from them. I also struggle with alcohol restriction!

Looks like we have several goals in common :D

Yes we are, we're going to rock the dark side! I had the left splits for a few months in dance class, but it's been a while :) Oh yes, alcohol restriction has been a goal of mine for a while, I just like the taste as a treat, and I need less treats! Bartending, while in grad school, in England kinda did me in on that bad habit, the trifecta of alcohol consumption.

So excited!

• Like 2

Current Challenge

I love the weissbeirs myself... I did a month-long no-booze-at-all thing and my first beer on Tuesday was the Erdinger weissbeir... so naturally I had a second one oops

Mmmmmm, beerrrrrrrr. My favorites are stouts and porters, I like to chew my beer. But a nice sour or Belgian tripel is amazing on a hot day. Way to go on the month without booze! I should try that...or at least a week...maybe weekdays....It's one of the things that my husband and I bonded over (I pretended to love IPAs for him) so it's hard to go without.

45622985.jpg

• Like 1

Current Challenge

*shudder* IPA's! My face is too expressive to pretend. Can't hide my "that's gross" face for the life of me :(

The only stout I know that I like is Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout (mmmmmm), and I do like the Cuvet sours, and a lot of lambics, and SEVERAL types of tripels, including my absolute FAVORITE beer, Unibroue La Fin du Monde (though only one, because omg 9%+)

Challenge Threads

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

Week 1 Day 4!

Not a super busy day, I've been fighting a sore throat for the past two days. (Full disclosure: I've had several mugs of hot water/honey/lemon juice with a dash of whiskey, but it's so little alcohol I'm considering it medicinal and not affecting my numbers for this challenge.) So I decided to take the day off from pushups and stretching and finish those up on Friday.

I did do my squat training and tried out doing pistols to a box (actually my couch) and it went great! I was able to do 5 each side (in a set of 3 and then a set of 2). It's not that low, just a hair above parallel, but I think I'll do a few more rounds on this and then go lower (to the coffee table!)

Also I got a blender! So excited! I made a delicious, yet ugly, smoothie. Green spinach and red berries don't mix prettily. I even tried out a new (actually my only) protein powder and it's really good, I can't taste it at all! I'm on the hunt for more concoctions to make :)

Kpen6eS.jpg?1

Tracking:

Quest 1, 3/4, 0/4, 0/4, 0/4

Quest 3: 2/3, 0/3, 0/3, 0/3

Quest 4: 3/4, 0/4, 0/4, 0/4

Quest 5: 3/5, 0/5, 0/5, 0/5

• Like 2

Current Challenge

*shudder* IPA's! My face is too expressive to pretend. Can't hide my "that's gross" face for the life of me :(

The only stout I know that I like is Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout (mmmmmm), and I do like the Cuvet sours, and a lot of lambics, and SEVERAL types of tripels, including my absolute FAVORITE beer, Unibroue La Fin du Monde (though only one, because omg 9%+)

Hahahahah, I've learned to appreciate them when they are done well and even like a few, but I'll never order my own. 

I think my favorite stout is the Left Hand Milk Stout on Nitro, it's just smooth beautiful deliciousness. I've wanted to try La Fin du Monde so much! We went on a Montreal walking beer tour and of course the bar we ended up at was out of it (my husband is cursed and the first thing he orders is out, always.) I think I'll have to break down and just buy a bottle here.  Oooo, now that I think about Montreal I also love Aphrodisiaque by Dieu du Ciel!, that may actually be my favorite stout. My favorite sour is probably the Boulevard Tell Tale Tart. No idea what my favorite tripel is yet, gotta try more!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

I HEAR TALKING ABOUT BEER. BEER BEER BEER.

Also dammit Ixaera we have lots of the same ideas on who to follow. Muahahaha. Lol

I do not know you super well Suzaqu and we have similar goals sooo I ch-ch-choose you as my accomplice and shall follow your challenge! :D I am uh..not remotely working on alcohol restriction for this challenge but I am working on pistol squats and diamond push ups.. and pike push ups and standard push ups and any other push up I can and cannot yet do. ALL THE PUSHING. I want to get to a handstand push up someday!

I really should give myself a formal flexibility goal sometime. I want my splits someday!  I get incidental work on it because of the dance and aerial classes I take, but if I'd actually work on it more often.....

• Like 1

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

Also dammit Ixaera we have lots of the same ideas on who to follow. Muahahaha. Lol

I do not know you super well Suzaqu and we have similar goals sooo I ch-ch-choose you as my accomplice and shall follow your challenge! :D I am uh..not remotely working on alcohol restriction for this challenge but I am working on pistol squats and diamond push ups.. and pike push ups and standard push ups and any other push up I can and cannot yet do. ALL THE PUSHING. I want to get to a handstand push up someday!

I really should give myself a formal flexibility goal sometime. I want my splits someday!  I get incidental work on it because of the dance and aerial classes I take, but if I'd actually work on it more often.....

Beeeeeerrrr! Welcome! Actually I posed on your thread a few hours ago asking if you would be my mentor, but I think it got lost in makeup remover discussions :) But I'm up for either mentor or accomplice :) 

What kind of dance do you do? I'm a ballerina who currently isn't taking class, so i want to use the off time to get those darn splits!

Current Challenge

Either of these would be fine for me and my apologies if it got lost in the shuffle of ALL TEH MAKEUPS. Haha :) Woooopsie!

I suppose I don't have a mentee yet, so would you like to be my padawan and I shall be your mentor? :D

• Like 1

Assassin extraordinaire!!

Current Challenge

5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34

35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41

I've wanted to try La Fin du Monde so much! We went on a Montreal walking beer tour and of course the bar we ended up at was out of it (my husband is cursed and the first thing he orders is out, always.) I think I'll have to break down and just buy a bottle here. 

Definitely break down. I WOULD LOVE to have it from tap, but I have no idea if I'll ever be somewhere that has it. It's SO GOOD. (Then again, I would be sad if it turns out we have opposite beer tastes and you hate it, but alas, this is a risk we take)

I was already following you anyway haha. Or trying. I mostly only get to really read stuff on slow work days and sometimes at night if I have time after updating my stuff, so I get behind here and there. I'm a little bit overzealous in my trying to follow people!

• Like 1

Challenge Threads

BATTLE LOG (Current)

MFP | Instagram

...Bartending, while in grad school, in England kinda did me in on that bad habit, the trifecta of alcohol consumption.

OMG, this is too good to be true.  You lived the dream!

Your crow pose looks so amazing.  You are so very close!  Rangers have a variation (Bro Crow which is probably a made-up thing) so it is definitely on my epic quest.  I haven't even mapped out a path there...and you are moments away from perfecting it!

Hope your soar throat is on the mend.  Love your medicinal concoction.

suzyQlou * Ranger    

Old Challenges: #1(2015) * #2 * #3(push ups) * #4 * #5(food) * #6 * #7(2016)* #8(nerdiversary) * #9 * 10(animal) * Battle Log * 11(2017) * 12(garden) * 13 * 14(biking) * 15 * 16  * 17  * 18 * 19(2018) * 20(2019) * 21

The big news is I made my crow pose video. I tried to match up the videos (dual-angle, ooooooo) as best as possible, they aren't quite right, but close enough. Bonus, you get to see me almost fall on my face and make my "Owwww, that hurt my toe" face. But my crow looked nicer than I thought it did, so I'm pretty pleased. Time to work on actually balancing

http://youtu.be/UHftnNlyHN8

I see a You!!!

Love it.  As a suggestion, have you considered working crow first with your feet elevated above your hands, by placing your feet on a few sturdy books?   This simplifies the training some by decreasing how much push is needed to get into the balance, which gives you a chance to focus more on maintaining static arm strength and getting used to the balance feeling.  Then as you improve, take away one book, then another, then another.

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Definitely break down. I WOULD LOVE to have it from tap, but I have no idea if I'll ever be somewhere that has it. It's SO GOOD. (Then again, I would be sad if it turns out we have opposite beer tastes and you hate it, but alas, this is a risk we take)

Okay, next time I see it, I'll jump on it. Trying new beer is fun, the risk is half the fun!

OMG, this is too good to be true.  You lived the dream!

Your crow pose looks so amazing.  You are so very close!  Rangers have a variation (Bro Crow which is probably a made-up thing) so it is definitely on my epic quest.  I haven't even mapped out a path there...and you are moments away from perfecting it!

Hope your soar throat is on the mend.  Love your medicinal concoction.

Hahaha, it was kinda a surreal dream year, lots of warm beer :)

Thanks :) I don't know about perfecting it, but I'm glad to hear it looks okay :) I think I'm going to have to stalk some rangers to discover what this Bro Crow thing is. You should try crow, it's kinda fun. You may be a natural at it, like my darn husband. I explained to him what I was trying to do, and he, never having taken a yoga class, just got into the pose and held it for 10 seconds.

The throat is better, I should be back to full strength this weekend, thanks for asking!

I see a You!!!

Love it.  As a suggestion, have you considered working crow first with your feet elevated above your hands, by placing your feet on a few sturdy books?   This simplifies the training some by decreasing how much push is needed to get into the balance, which gives you a chance to focus more on maintaining static arm strength and getting used to the balance feeling.  Then as you improve, take away one book, then another, then another.

It's a me! Mario!

I love seeing progress video/pics partially since people never look how I expected :) So I figured I needed my own.  Thank you for the book idea, I never thought of that. Static arm strength isn't something that I've really trained, so this will definitely help. I love progressions, so taking away the books will be so much fun!

• Like 3

Current Challenge