CourtneyC vs. The Full Push-Up

courtneyc

I've been there before as far as having partners that I'd really rather not play with. That was a long time ago, though. These days, my dojo is so small that we have to play with everyone we can. Unfortunately, in some ways, I think I've become the guy that nobody wants to roll with - I have a real tendency to counter-throw a lot, which punishes people trying to execute their technique. It makes people gun shy, and it soured me on grappling for a while.

Still, you can avoid them, which is about the best thing you can do, really.

• Like 1

Week 2 Day 2

Push Up/Core Work: 2/6

BJJ: 1/4

Tracking: 2/7 

Plants: 2/7

Weekly Word Count: 1,220

Revision Hours: 0.5/4

Week 2 is off to a rough start...just feeling really overwhelmed at the moment, and it has me struggling to do anything. Today was the first day of a 4 week online writing class. The work load looks like it is going to be intense, so I might adjust some of my writing goals for the remainder of the challenge. Basically, I shelled out some major-ish bucks to take this thing, and I want to squeeze every bit of help I can from it. 

Push-ups progress is slow. I'm really not certain if daily work with the low reps is best or if I would be better served by really exhausting the muscles with rest days in between. Any thoughts on this are welcome. 

Core work is going well. Those shrimps are getting less shrimpy, and my quarter turns on my back are landing closer to 90 degrees on the first try for both sides. Knee side planks on my weakest side are getting much easier. I think next week I'll shorten the time and work on full side planks.

My elbows and knees are increasingly talking to me. Nothing that's forcing time off from training, but it is driving me to figure out what I can do to help address these issues before they possibly turn into something serious. After doing some reading I ordered a theraband stick for the elbows. People seem to have good results doing strengthening exercises with those. As for the knees, lots of sources indicate tightness or imbalances in the hips/IT band can be to blame. I spent a few minutes rolling, really focusing on the umm...posterior with my roller ball. The difference was crazy. I felt like I was standing on someone else's legs and my knees were so relaxed. Clearly that needs to be a part of my daily routine.

Okay, rambled enough for one night. Later fellow nerds!

• Like 1

It's alright to be overwhelmed from time to time. I'm not taking an online writing class, but I'm writing a Master thesis this semester and I hear you. I didn't make and thesis goals for this challenge, because I had no idea what to expect. I strongly suggest you include goals related to this course because this is the perfect place for accountability.

I'm no expert on strength training, but I remember a few NF articles suggesting that the muscle development actually happens on your rest days. Sorry if I'm mistaken, I'm on my phone and can't find the sources right now.

There's nothing wrong with adjusting your writing goals as necessary. The situation changed. You didn't know going in that you were going to have the work load that you are, and you paid hard money for the chance to do this. There's no sense in jeopardizing that in the name of the challenge, not when you have clear benefits that you mean to attain to help the thing that you were originally trying to do.

As to push ups, well... it's hard to say. All bodies are different. In general, when one is first learning a skill, that's the time when it's good to have a practice-based approach. This is where protocols like Greasing the Groove really shine - you're not really looking to burn out the muscle but you are looking to stay relatively fresh and to learn a skill. You take a day, maybe once a week or so, with a day of rest before and a day of rest after, leaving you four days a week to practice, and I think you could reap benefit.

That's not to say that there's no benefit in trying to push the limit and try to build some muscle. Muscle is good. :D But it's like Kunmaar says: training is when you tear down, rest is when you rebuild, and if you choose this route then you're going to have to adjust your training schedule accordingly.

Either way is good, so figure out what you want and attack it.

I'm glad the rest of your stuff is coming along well and that you were able to roll out and get some relief for those knees. Very good!

• Like 1

As to push ups, well... it's hard to say. All bodies are different. In general, when one is first learning a skill, that's the time when it's good to have a practice-based approach. This is where protocols like Greasing the Groove really shine - you're not really looking to burn out the muscle but you are looking to stay relatively fresh and to learn a skill. You take a day, maybe once a week or so, with a day of rest before and a day of rest after, leaving you four days a week to practice, and I think you could reap benefit.

I did a little more reading on GtG and am intrigued at the idea of making my muscles more efficient at the move. I hadn't been thinking about this concept when I started this challenge, just the idea of a daily habit, but it sounds like GtG is essentially what I'm doing. Just to be clear about what you're saying with the 4-1-1-1 schedule, are you suggesting I keep to my current level of push-ups 4 days, take a rest day, max out on the 6th, and rest on the 7th?

• Like 1

Week 2 Summary 

Push Up/Core Work: 5/6

BJJ: 5/4

Tracking: 7/7 

Plants: 7/7

Weekly Word Count: 1,220

Revision Hours: 0.5/4

Okay, glad week 2 is over. It was rough, emotional rollercoaster, and I'm really, really hoping I can jump off that ride this week.

I'm getting down a little farther on the push-ups...not quite to 90 degrees at the elbows but close. When I started this month I think I could drop down about an inch, so it's progress. The technical core work is doing exactly what I'd hoped it would. My shrimps are no longer shrimpy, and those upkicks are making it easier to practice backward rolls. Also, I look super hard core when I tack on a mini workout after classwork and rolling for an hour. :)

My reading and homework for my writing class took a fair amount of my usual writing time, and this week didn't even involve submitting manuscript portions. I'm not sure what to expect once we are submitting manuscripts. For the remainder of the challenge I'm going to drop the word count and revision goals and focus on completing my assignments and reading/commenting on classmates' work. 

My weight is still hovering around the same number as last week despite a caloric deficit, but that isn't too unusual for me every couple weeks. Things are shrinking, and the number will follow in time. I think I'm feeling a little antsy about it though, because I'm getting close to saying adios to the 200's and good god I want to see that first number change already!! There is going to be one hell of a party on my thread the day that happens. 

Alright, onto week 3! 

• Like 1

I did a little more reading on GtG and am intrigued at the idea of making my muscles more efficient at the move. I hadn't been thinking about this concept when I started this challenge, just the idea of a daily habit, but it sounds like GtG is essentially what I'm doing. Just to be clear about what you're saying with the 4-1-1-1 schedule, are you suggesting I keep to my current level of push-ups 4 days, take a rest day, max out on the 6th, and rest on the 7th?

Yes! I think I must have made a typo or something when I did that and I don't think I was terribly clear. But yes, that is what I would recommend, after having survived some rounds with this.

Also, can I say that I'm super-envious of you being in a writing course? I miss that. I don't know what exactly I miss, whether it's the deadlines or the community or the sense of people trying to make me better and I trying to do the same for them, but I just miss it, and I really envy you your ability to be a part of it. I think you made the right decision to put more of your concentration into the course, and I really hope you get to reap the full benefit of it. :)

I'm glad to hear you're getting stronger and that the push up is getting closer, and that your shrimps are no longer so shrimpy. Good, good. On to week 3!

Womp, womp, womp. Bridge escape went badly tonight. My elbow got locked in place while all my partner's weight dropped down and twisted. There was a grinding sound and yeah...that was it for rolling. Lots of ice, some Advil, and I guess I'll see what this looks like in the morning. 

Week 3 Day 2

Push Up/Core Work: 1.5/6

BJJ: 2/4

Tracking: 2/7 

Plants: 2/7

Writing Workshop HW: 0/1

Thankfully, we can disperse with the sad trombone. I woke up this morning and my elbow was feeling okay. The whole arm is a little sore, but I was able to do some light class work and rolling without trouble. I skipped the push-up training today, because I was feeling nervous about putting that much pressure on my elbow. Maybe I'll ease in to tomorrow's training with some knee push-ups to test the waters.

I rolled with someone I'd seen around the studio but never had the chance to partner up with before. He had some great tips to improve my game and was good about exercising control. One of my biggest take aways from the time was his tips to have one or two moves/escapes that are my go-to's for every position, that way I don't waste precious seconds considering what to do next. Eventually, I'll have the experience to work in more moves, but I think it is a solid suggestion to establish some tried and true ones as a foundation. Another handy suggestion to secure an opponent's arm was to loop through from behind and grab their opposite side lapel. I often lose arm control, and that gi grab sounds delightfully frustrating for my competition. :)

• Like 2

Week 3 Day 3

Push Up/Core Work: 2.5/6

BJJ: 3/4

Tracking: 3/7 

Plants: 3/7

Writing Workshop HW: 0.5/1

The warm up in class involved push-ups. I probably did more than I should have and ended up with pain radiating from my shoulder through my elbow, wrist, and thumb on the side I hurt the other night. Rubbing my shoulder after class seemed to alleviate most of the pain...it figures that I lent out my trigger point therapy workbook over the weekend and now have pain in a new spot to manage. Anyway, push-up training might be iffy for a few days given tonight's results.

In more exciting news I learned I'm up for a belt promotion next week! I'll still be a white belt, but my white belt will have a purdy blue stripe on it. Just have to keep my arm behaving so I can participate in drills for testing next week.

• Like 1

Hmmm. You know, I'm not an expert, and I wouldn't want to diagnose this wrong, but that really and truly does sound like something relating to a nerve. Is it just a general sensation of pain or is it like a straight line from your thumb to your shoulder?

EDIT: to add, congratulations on getting selected to test! Yeah, definitely lay off the extra work to focus on doing class well. Get better!

Hmmm. You know, I'm not an expert, and I wouldn't want to diagnose this wrong, but that really and truly does sound like something relating to a nerve. Is it just a general sensation of pain or is it like a straight line from your thumb to your shoulder?

EDIT: to add, congratulations on getting selected to test! Yeah, definitely lay off the extra work to focus on doing class well. Get better!

I'm thinking nerve as well since the pain runs in a straight line. 

Thanks!

I think you should let your instructors know about the injury so they can go easy on you during the belt exam. There's going to be an exam, right? They were always my favorite part of the training! I bet you'll have lots of fun next week.

Instructors are aware of the situation. Testing consists mainly of rolling sessions since I'm not going for blue belt which requires a separate demonstration. It should be fun so long as my arm is in decent shape, but I am a little nervous at the possibility of getting partnered with one of the cross-fit male white belts. They tend to be on the spazzy side on a regular day...during testing with the entire class watching I worry they might do some serious damage to avoid even the possibility of getting tapped by a female white belt.

• Like 1

Instructors are aware of the situation. Testing consists mainly of rolling sessions since I'm not going for blue belt which requires a separate demonstration. It should be fun so long as my arm is in decent shape, but I am a little nervous at the possibility of getting partnered with one of the cross-fit male white belts. They tend to be on the spazzy side on a regular day...during testing with the entire class watching I worry they might do some serious damage to avoid even the possibility of getting tapped by a female white belt.

*sighs* I hope they keep their ego in check. I know this might sound a bit sneaky and passive-aggressive, but if you get paired up with one of those guys, make sure you warn them beforehand, and make sure others (especially the instructors) hear you warning them. Nothing too obvious, just to make sure you have witnesses. So at least if they hurt you, they'll be the ones who'll get a bad reputation in the dojo. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it, but I just hate all kinds of people who give other martial artists a bad time.

Having said that, I hope you'll get better and not have to think about your arm at all :)

• Like 1

Week 3 Day 4

Push Up/Core Work: 3.5/6

BJJ: 3/4

Tracking: 4/7 

Plants: 4/7

Writing Workshop HW: 0.5/1

Managed to keep myself from going to class yesterday by making sure my gi was in the wash. I rolled around on my own at home and did some core work (no push ups) which was fine. Then my husband full of good intentions offered to hold strike pads for me (a kind gesture on his part because he has described me as both "scary" and "intense" once the gloves go on), and I stupidly jumped at the chance. Big mistake.

Striking is officially off the table, which probably should have been obvious to me, but I wanted something. That bjj/striking high is so addictive. I feel like one of those high energy dogs that needs to be run daily or they'll tear up the house. Someone call Caesar Millan.

• Like 1

Woops, messed up with the new formatting and can't seem to figure out how to delete a post. 

ANYWAY, nice job with everything! How is the arm? How is the writing? I am still very jealous of your progress, but keep kicking butt, I am sending good vibes your way. Sorry I haven't been the best in checking in, this challenge has been tough for me to do that, but you seem to be doing awesome. 

I totally feel you about being a high energy dog, I am VERY similar. 

Keep it up! 

The high is real. It's what keeps me coming back for more as far as my training is concerned. It's hard work, but once you hit that groove, dang.

You should go run sprints or something to burn that energy off. :P

On 3/21/2016 at 1:41 PM, 'BoutThatActionBoss said:

Woops, messed up with the new formatting and can't seem to figure out how to delete a post. 

ANYWAY, nice job with everything! How is the arm? How is the writing? I am still very jealous of your progress, but keep kicking butt, I am sending good vibes your way. Sorry I haven't been the best in checking in, this challenge has been tough for me to do that, but you seem to be doing awesome. 

I totally feel you about being a high energy dog, I am VERY similar. 

Keep it up! 

Thanks! The arm is kind of meh. I can roll a bit, but by the end the radiating pain is back and my grip is weak. Writing is going fairly well.

On 3/22/2016 at 1:34 AM, Kishi said:

The high is real. It's what keeps me coming back for more as far as my training is concerned. It's hard work, but once you hit that groove, dang.

You should go run sprints or something to burn that energy off. :P

I seriously considered going for some runs, but I was a little nervous putting that sort of impact on my knees and shins. I gave up running a couple years back since the extra weight made it rough on my body.

Week 4

I don't know where week 3 went or what day I'm on with week 4. Thanks to several big things overlapping (I'm looking at you spring break!) I feel like I'm going in 5 directions at once. Weekend obligations have me maxed out in the socializing department. This introvert needs her recovery time, and it's not going to happen any time soon. I swear some sort of pheromone gets released into the air when I get like this and everyone decides it's time to make an appearance or need a favor.

Training is weird this week with belt testing and the arm still recovering. I think the pain is getting less intense when it flares up, but maybe I'm getting better at favoring my good arm? Either way push-ups aren't happening at all.

Writing is going well, I guess. the weekly word count is out the window as is revision tracking. The feedback I'm getting from fellow classmates and my instructor is both enthusiastic and helpful. The novel will definitely be stronger for the work I'm putting in now.

Nothing is absolutely horrible right now, but I feel run down. My routine has been exploded, I need some quiet recovery time, and I don't see myself getting those things back before I become a depleted wreck. 

Sorry to hear all that! I hope you're able to step back and re-charge a bit. I like social contact but too much definitely makes me want to step back and have alone time. 

Great to see that the class is helping with the writing though. These little steps can make a huge difference. 

I don't read fiction too often, but I just bought Infinite Jest and may try to take that on soon. Have you ever read that? I don't know if I know anyone who has read the whole thing. 

I hope the arm heals quickly! Being injured is the worst! 

• Like 1

The introvert struggle is real. "I love you all. Now GTFO."

You don't need to worry about the push ups right now. Right now, you have a grading. Training and recovering very carefully are your present obligations. Nothing else really matters at this point.

Also, if you don't mind my opinion, I think you made the right decision to throw into the class with your writing as opposed to doing extra on your own. With you having paid money for it, you definitely want to get the most out of it that you can. It's the wise move.

And, we do have a recovery week coming up after this challenge. So, at least for our part, things will slow down a bit. Hopefully that helps!

9 hours ago, 'BoutThatActionBoss said:

Sorry to hear all that! I hope you're able to step back and re-charge a bit. I like social contact but too much definitely makes me want to step back and have alone time. 

Great to see that the class is helping with the writing though. These little steps can make a huge difference. 

I don't read fiction too often, but I just bought Infinite Jest and may try to take that on soon. Have you ever read that? I don't know if I know anyone who has read the whole thing. 

I hope the arm heals quickly! Being injured is the worst! 

Thanks. I haven't read Infinite Jest. I tend more towards science fiction and fantasy, but I really should branch out a little from time to time. :) 

8 hours ago, Kishi said:

The introvert struggle is real. "I love you all. Now GTFO."

You don't need to worry about the push ups right now. Right now, you have a grading. Training and recovering very carefully are your present obligations. Nothing else really matters at this point.

Also, if you don't mind my opinion, I think you made the right decision to throw into the class with your writing as opposed to doing extra on your own. With you having paid money for it, you definitely want to get the most out of it that you can. It's the wise move.

And, we do have a recovery week coming up after this challenge. So, at least for our part, things will slow down a bit. Hopefully that helps!

Haha...I wish there was a tactful way to say such a thing to a 5 year old, but, alas, I tend to explode in fits of yelling after she's just said "mommy" for the 7th time in 3 seconds. 

A recovery week? That sounds delightful. :) 

• Like 1