Britt Marches On

BLSutherland

Report Thirteen

Still in major write mode and cranky about losing an hour of sleep, so I'm keeping this short and sweet.

Goal One: Red Queen

Today was PENDING.

Goal Two: STREEEEETCH
Today was PENDING.

Goal Three: Write down all the things!

Yup, managed to do that even though I sat like a slug on my couch all day.

Today was YES.

Goal Four: MCM

Today was YES.

Goal Five: What are words?

Wrote, rewrote, rerewrote the introduction to this stupid thing three times. Blergh. (Lest you all think I'm the world's slowest writer, methods and results are in the bag already)

Today was YES.
  • Like 1

Level 1 Dwarf Adventurer - [ STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0 ]

Report Fourteen

A frustrating midpoint to the challenge. I realized that I was not going to be anywhere NEAR ready to present a draft of my paper to my lab meeting. Sent an email to my advisor telling her I've written three versions of introduction to this manuscript and I hate ALL of them. So I'm backing up. I'm retooling my Tuesday meeting to ask some opinions about how I need to frame this story, and THEN proceed instead of trying to force through something shitty. On a better note, I worked out my frustration by having a GREAT workout at the gym!

Today was YES.

Today was YES.

Today was YES.

Today was YES.

So clearly the writer's block hasn't improved. Decided today I wasn't going to force it, so I didn't other things instead. Going to talk to my advisor tomorrow and try again.

Today was NO.
  • Like 1

Report Fifteen/Sixteen/Seventeen

It's been a not great few days on the personal life / work life front. About the only thing that HAS been going right is getting my ass to the gym. I don't know when I became one of those people who prefers using physical exertion to work through life problems, but I gotta admit I kind of like it! A lot of these are going undetailed, because I jotted down the whats, but not the specifics. Anyhoow...

Like I said, exercise has been good for the soul.

YES, YES, and YES.

Likewise!

YES, YES, and YES.

Two days ago I did great, yesterday not so much, today pretty good.

YES, NO, YES.

Where there is lax recording and eating of feels, there lie calories. More than 1900 of them.

YES, NO, YES.

Heh. So lab meeting yesterday completely exposed the soft, weak underbelly of my project. Spent today retooling, but that still count because I've been working my butt off!

YES, YES, and YES.

Here's to feeling good and kicking ass. Y'all have a good night!

• Like 1

About the only thing that HAS been going right is getting my ass to the gym. I don't know when I became one of those people who prefers using physical exertion to work through life problems, but I gotta admit I kind of like it! 

Hey, if it works then that's awesome. Two for one! Sorry things have been rough, but it sounds like you're hanging in there. Good luck on your paper!

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Report Eighteen/Nineteen

Yesterday and today have been kind of meh. Between the personal crap and work, and now I think I'm getting a GERD flare up because I've been an idiot and decided that copious amount of coffee are a good idea. Blergh...going to wean back on some tea, because going caffeine cold turkey sounds like a GREAT way to have a bad weekend. :)

In terms of my gym goals, I've taken the last two days off, because I did three in a row and because lab has been stupid busy. Tomorrow is a day back!

Yesterday was NO.

Today was NO.

Yesterday was NO.

Today was NO.

Yup! Tracking away.

Yesterday was YES.

Today was YES.

Yesterday and today has been easily digestible things and light meals, trying to soothe the cranky GI tract. Hitting a little low, but haven't been hungry. Going to try to hit closer to target tomorrow.

Yesterday was YES (1,584)

Today was YES (1,621)

Finishing touches on Manuscript one before we submit that bad boy!

Yesterday was YES.

Today was YES.

• Like 1

Report Twenty/Twenty-One

Backed off the coffee and now my chest is doing fewer flippity-floppity things (I tend to feel like I'm having palpitations when the GERD gets bad), but I've figured out the sore-throat is just run of the mill allergies. Yay, warmer weather! Saturday was a fairly relaxed day of working on manuscript edits and watching my bracket go down in flames. Stretch session felt wonderfully awful after two days of laziness. Was thinking about going to hike for my cardio, but the weather didn't cooperate much the past two days, so back to the gym for me, cranking away on the stationary bike.

Yesterday was YES.

Today was YES.

Yesterday was YES.

Today was YES.

Wrote down everything, and finally seem to have my appetite back in order.

Yesterday was YES.

Today was YES.

Yesterday was YES (1,815)

Today was YES (1,892)

More finishing touches. Getting sick of finishing touches. When can I fire off this bad boy?!?

Yesterday was YES.

Today was YES.

• Like 1

Report Twenty-Two

Man, today has been a Monday. Long story short, but my morning began at 3 am with me stepping on a thumbtack...

It got better but it was quite busy! Lots of benchwork, lots of computing. Lifting day today, so I completed cardio and stretching in the gym. Cooked a giant pot of colcannon tonight. A little carb heavy, but the carb/fat balance is good and it's super filling. Add some meat and we've got dinner for the week!

Today was YES.

Today was YES.

Today was YES.

Today was Ehhh...I'm calling it yes. (1,905)

Not a ton of writing, but a little bit of work on the methods for paper two.

Today was YES.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2016 at 11:15 PM, Teros said:
I find there are 2 specifics type of people - one that works with quantity and one with quality.  Quantity are macro people- budgeting and balancing macros.  Quality are paleo people - cutting out whole sections and by default having the majority be healthy.  Both can work based on the person's mentality.  Since I'm an all-or-nothing person, the quality works for me.  To each their own.  Go forth and kick ass.

I've been thinking about this very thing lately. Partly because I'm in the Academy and I've been putting off for ages the quests that have to do with recording. I have found in the past that when I record what I eat, I become WAY too obsessed with my food, and then I start playing number games: "Hmm, if I spend another 20 minutes on the treadmill tonight, I can have some fries with my dinner. And for an extra 5 pushups, I can have 3 whole Hershey kisses!" In the long run, it ends up becoming more destructive than helpful. I do tend to be an all-or-nothing kind of person, so I have found that going Paleo(ish) works best for me. Understanding that there are others out there with the same kind of mentality makes me feel much less guilty about putting off (or just plain skipping) the recording quests. Thanks!

Current Challenge: Aug 2016 ~ My Epic Quest

Walk to Mordor: Hobbiton to Rivendell (458/458, arrived 27 April 2016)

Rivendell to Lothlorien (351.11/462)

12 hours ago, BLSutherland said:

Man, today has been a Monday. Long story short, but my morning began at 3 am with me stepping on a thumbtack...

12725134_1586642851595508_74079442_n.jpg

That is indeed quite the Monday. But it's over now!

• Like 2

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Well...three weeks out of four ain't...horrible.

Post-mortem

So, things I have learned this cycle:

1) I can eat roughly the same thing for about three weeks in a row before I go insane. I figured out a basic meal plan before the last challenge and only modified around the edges, which made it easy to keep track of calories, but made things deadly dull before too long. I'm thinking Teros may have been right; I think next challenge I'm going to focus less on numbers and more classes: Eat more veggies and proteins and fewer sugary things just because they under the magic 1900. I'd still like to keep an approximate count, but I'm not going to be so measurement-obsessed. Ain't nobody got time for that!

2) Stretching is HUGE. I'm not quiiiite to where I can do a full squat with my heels down, but damn am I close! and I've noticed improvement in little things, like being less stiff after I sit writing for a long time.

Big accomplishment

I submitted my first manuscript to a journal yesterday! Now begins the review process, which can get hairy, but once this gets published, it'll be my first paper as first author! So, so stoked!!!

Alrighty, time to figure out what next challenge is going to be!

• Like 1