I have failed...But not anymore!!!

Matrim_Cauthon

I have been reading nerd fitness for a while now and decided to join the forums. I could be a complainer about my life the last several years but screw that. I am done with that. The only reason I am over weight and out of shape is because of me. I have never signed up for any kind of health / fitness forum before so we'll see how this goes.

It seems there is a new challenge coming tomorrow so I guess there is no time to prepare. It's just time to get down to business. (war-face)... Right now I don't work out one bit. I do spend a good amount of time at work on me feet and I move heavy things from time to time but that's my entire "workout" right now. So I think some things need to change. There is a gym next to where I work on my way home so I should make that step one.

I am going to follow the suggested guidelines for this and see where it takes me.

For the diet I am going to change my lunches at work. Most of the time I have some sort of processed microwave thing. I am from now on going to make my own lunches out of real food,

I will also try to stop going to the vending machine... its so good but so bad for me...

Exercise... This is something I should do but don't... I will sign up for the gym and work out 2x a week.

Level up your life... I think I'll take the meditation for 5 minutes and turn it into 10. I'll also try to go to bed earlier... I do not get enough sleep so that really needs to change.

PS: I feel like there should be some sort of motivational picture here but I'm not sure what it should be.

• Like 2

Congratulations on joining the Rebellion.  Good luck to you on your first challenge!

"Destiny is important, see, but people go wrong when they think it controls them. It's the other way around." - Terry Pratchett

Lift: 1 of 24                                             Eat Right: 1 of 42                              Stay Sane: 1 of 42   

Welcome Matrim_Cauthon!

First off my normal disclaimer:

In the two-ish years I've been on the forums one very important thing has made itself clear to me. You get out of it what you put in! Saying that, I encourage you to seek out a couple other members here and follow along with them and offer support when and where you can, together we are all stronger!

One of the things I do to cut down on the processed meals at work is make meals at home that freeze well and then bring them to work with me. It doesn't work everyday, but this reduction in my salt intake has made a huge difference in my weight-loss.

Best of luck this challenge!

• Like 1

Race: Halfling     Class: Rebel

Recruit 1st 2nd 3rd 4th  5th 6th  7th  8th 9th 10th  11th 12th 13th  14th  15th

Current Challenge

Writer's Guild

Fictionfirst Used Books (Feel free to like my page!)

Hey, the adjusted lunch plan is a great one. Real food midday involves thinking ahead to have it prepped and ready to go, so there's lots of auxiiliary goodness. My luches often consisted of recipes I got off of nomnompaleo...the roasted kabocha is no joke. Learning to bake kale for crispy saltiness is another good tool to have in your belt.

All the best,

CH

Hi and good luck!  I'm a newbie too - but I definitely suggest meal prep for your lunches.  Roast chicken in one pan, roast vegetables in another pan, cool and divide into 5 portions for lunch during the week.  Easiest lunches ever.

Most of my snacks come from Graze (google it; they send you preportioned snacks) though I know there's other companies out who do the same thing.  The less healthy things they offer I've trashed (ie. they don't send them to me), but I love the variety and the anticipation of "Ooh, what's in my Graze box this time?  What are my snacks going to be the next 2 weeks?"  This, and a few other types of snacks to fill in the gaps have eliminated my trips to the snack stand.

Hey there, how'd week 1 go? Did you find your motivational picture yet?

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

First off I am absolutely amazed at the response I just got!  Thank you all!  I also want to say sorry for not getting on here and posting at least 1-2 times during the week.

Welcome Matrim_Cauthon!

In the two-ish years I've been on the forums one very important thing has made itself clear to me. You get out of it what you put in! Saying that, I encourage you to seek out a couple other members here and follow along with them and offer support when and where you can, together we are all stronger!

One of the things I do to cut down on the processed meals at work is make meals at home that freeze well and then bring them to work with me. It doesn't work everyday, but this reduction in my salt intake has made a huge difference in my weight-loss.

Just like pretty much everything else in life you get out what you put in.  I'll poke around and find 2 or 3 people to follow.  I cant expect much if I don't offer anything.

Welcome to the Rebellion! You got some great goals. Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

Thank you!  And that was one of the best series of books I have ever read... Thus my forum name :joyous:

Hey, the adjusted lunch plan is a great one. Real food midday involves thinking ahead to have it prepped and ready to go, so there's lots of auxiiliary goodness. My luches often consisted of recipes I got off of nomnompaleo...the roasted kabocha is no joke. Learning to bake kale for crispy saltiness is another good tool to have in your belt.

All the best,

CH

I will have to take a look at nomnompaleo.  I have also keep hearing about those kale chips.  Are they really that amazing?  I love kale in my salads but I'm trying to wrap my head around them making a good "chip"

Hi and good luck!  I'm a newbie too - but I definitely suggest meal prep for your lunches.  Roast chicken in one pan, roast vegetables in another pan, cool and divide into 5 portions for lunch during the week.  Easiest lunches ever.

Most of my snacks come from Graze (google it; they send you preportioned snacks) though I know there's other companies out who do the same thing.  The less healthy things they offer I've trashed (ie. they don't send them to me), but I love the variety and the anticipation of "Ooh, what's in my Graze box this time?  What are my snacks going to be the next 2 weeks?"  This, and a few other types of snacks to fill in the gaps have eliminated my trips to the snack stand.

Good luck to you as well!  I have actually heard of Graze and now that you mention it I think I actually have code to get a free sample box from them floating around somewhere in my disheveled room..

This last week I ended up working overtime every single day and didn't workout at all during the week.  I do have a membership to a gym now.  At least I got that done...  I did good about making my lunch from real food.  I found a small beef roast cooked it up and made some sort of a spicy garlic Italian beef and vegetable dish.  Yes I ate that every single day for lunch at work except for 1 day when forgot to grab the sack with my lunch in it.   That day was a can of tuna ( I had it in my desk) and potato chips and trail mix from the vensing machine...  I did end up out with the guys twice for dinner.  The craft beer and garlic mashed potatoes probably should not have been consumed but they were so good. :redface:

Now one thing I did do really good at during the week (not so much Friday and Saturday night ) is I got to sleep about 30-60 minutes early Sunday - Thursday.  Its amazing how much better you feel with just an extra 30 minutes of sleep!  I even managed to take 5-10 minutes a couple times before I went to bed, turned everything off and just relaxed.

I am hopeful this week wont be a bunch of over time and I'll have a better shot at getting to the gym.  Also I really am going to try and get on here each week and post 2-3 times a week or more if I can manage it.

I have found a few but I haven't found one I really like.   I remember I had at one point many years ago found a site that actually had lost of motivational pics and gifs but I cant remember what it was and I don't seem to have a bookmark for it.  If any of you have a good source for those kinds of things let me know.

• Like 1

First off I am absolutely amazed at the response I just got!  Thank you all!  I also want to say sorry for not getting on here and posting at least 1-2 times during the week.

Welcome Matrim_Cauthon!

Just like pretty much everything else in life you get out what you put in.  I'll poke around and find 2 or 3 people to follow.  I cant expect much if I don't offer anything.

Thank you!  And that was one of the best series of books I have ever read... Thus my forum name :joyous:

All the best,

CH

I will have to take a look at nomnompaleo.  I have also keep hearing about those kale chips.  Are they really that amazing?  I love kale in my salads but I'm trying to wrap my head around them making a good "chip"

Good luck to you as well!  I have actually heard of Graze and now that you mention it I think I actually have code to get a free sample box from them floating around somewhere in my disheveled room..

This last week I ended up working overtime every single day and didn't workout at all during the week.  I do have a membership to a gym now.  At least I got that done...  I did good about making my lunch from real food.  I found a small beef roast cooked it up and made some sort of a spicy garlic Italian beef and vegetable dish.  Yes I ate that every single day for lunch at work except for 1 day when forgot to grab the sack with my lunch in it.   That day was a can of tuna ( I had it in my desk) and potato chips and trail mix from the vensing machine...  I did end up out with the guys twice for dinner.  The craft beer and garlic mashed potatoes probably should not have been consumed but they were so good. :redface:

Now one thing I did do really good at during the week (not so much Friday and Saturday night ) is I got to sleep about 30-60 minutes early Sunday - Thursday.  Its amazing how much better you feel with just an extra 30 minutes of sleep!  I even managed to take 5-10 minutes a couple times before I went to bed, turned everything off and just relaxed.

I am hopeful this week wont be a bunch of over time and I'll have a better shot at getting to the gym.  Also I really am going to try and get on here each week and post 2-3 times a week or more if I can manage it.

I have found a few but I haven't found one I really like.   I remember I had at one point many years ago found a site that actually had lost of motivational pics and gifs but I cant remember what it was and I don't seem to have a bookmark for it.  If any of you have a good source for those kinds of things let me know.

Welcome Matrim_Cauthon!

All the best,

CH

• Like 1

I hit the gym for the first time this challenge! Whoohoo :nevreness: ...  I spent about 50 minutes on the treadmill and managed 2.5 miles in 46 minutes at a 2.0 incline.  and the rest was a cool down.  Then I went over and lifted weights for the next 30 minutes or so.  I am pretty sure I am going to regret doing this much my first time there...  I did get a recovery shake thing that I used back when I was in shape and it helped quite a bit with the day after.

The vending machine monster did strike a few times this week in the form of a bag of chips and one of those packs of peanut butter crackers and about 3 bottles of various evil surgery soft drinks.  One the other hand I have noticed that if I have diet soft drinks I bring from home it makes me less prone to go and get a surgery one... Although it's kind of like siding with Lanfear instead of Ishamael...  (Wheel of Time reference.  They are both bad)   I have also tried those little flavored water things that come in a plastic bottle and they help but again with all the artificial stuff in them they cant be good for me. 

It's all about taking small steps, so if diet soda can wean you off regular soda, just start with that. You can quit diet soda for one of the next challenges :-).

Fantastic workout in the gym! Do you plan on making that your regular routine?

Small steps is the way to go!  Trying everything at once has never giving me anything but complete failure.  I do plan on making that my regular routine  except I may go a bit more easy on myself.  Some of my muscles are still a hint soar from working out on Wednesday. 

I'm not happy I only made it once to the gym on week 2 of the challenge but I made it and judging how I felt on the days after I did it I may have put 2 trips to the gym into 1 trip. :mushroom:

I was doing pretty good with my food and and drink this week even though I ended up eating some microwaved junk.  After Wednesday my food went way down hill.. way down hill.  Fried chicken mashed potatoes way way too much craft beer no work outside and late nights etc etc.  Shame on me...    I really have to reign myself in a bit.

That said I will still call what I have done something great.  I am leaning where and how I am messing myself up and that is a big step.  I am also realizing I may need to implement new rules for myself in order to can some of the bad habits.  For example if I have some lovely craft beer in the refrigerator and I am done with work and the required house work is done at night and I still have some time, those beautifully crafted beverages start disappearing at a rate that does not help my goal  At ~ 200 calories a bottle it ads up quick.  I also seem to enjoy them while gaming.  I really don't want to but I think I may have to take a sabbatical from gaming.  I seem to inhale everything bad for me at an alarming rate while gaming right now.  (looks at the empty bag of chips)  Why cant this be easier !?!?

Made it to the gym again today and pretty much did the same workout.  I really hope I am not quite as sore this time around.  

I'm only doing so so on my diet.  I still have only managed to prep 1 weeks worth of meals since the challenge started.  Microwaved junk has made it in a few times but others I have managed to find random things in my refrigerator to take with now.  Mustard and tuna or mustard with hard boiled eggs isn't something all that great.  It was the cheep mustard too.  Maybe a little hot sauce next time will help.  Apples were fine but the frozen peas when I didn't even have salt and pepper at work were not that exciting.  I really need to plan this lunch thing a bit better.

Sleep has been hit and miss with what I would like but I am doing overall better about getting more sleep.  Many nights I have made it in early enough to actually relax a bit and meditate a bit.  That's something I haven't done anywhere in recent memory.

Looks like we're both letting the diet part slide a little bit this week. Let's make a pact to stick to it until the end of this challenge!

As for lunch, I find it easier to plan this for the whole week, and then do my grocery shopping accordingly. Or if you can't plan that far ahead, try having some healthy yet frozen/canned foods around (though they're not easy to find).

Still a week and a half to go, I'm confident you can kick this challenge's butt!

@Marbres The diet hasn't gone great but it is better than it has been. As for the pact... It is sealed!!!  (tomorrow ( friday march 18) may be a bad thing since I am going on a lunch meeting with all the "important people" at my job but whatever I'll deal with that)

I also find that I have to plan for the whole week.  If I don't bad things happen.  That said I have found a few decent options in the frozen and canned areas of me grocery store that I may get a few of just in case.

I was once in shape but then college and life hit. ( I'm sure some of you know what I am talking about ).  I may not have made all my quest goals so far but I don't care.  I have made progress.  I am making myself better.  I have only been to the gym 2x since I have been on here but my body mind and spirit want more.  I have squandered many years of my "good years" but I still have some left and I do not want to do the same to them. 

post-49325-0-17072100-1458273906_thumb.j