JessOfAllTrades Wanders

Week Two Experience Points so Far:

1. Wander to Find Inspiration

Hit 10K steps everyday (Weekly goal: 70,000)

36.4%
36.4%

Exercise three times a week (weekly goal)

33.33%
33.33%

Try new things (challenge goal)

• Cycling Class

2. Prepare for Adventure

Track food (daily goal)

28.6%
28.6%

Limit alcoholic drinks (3 per week)

• 0/3 Drinks

Cook new things (challenge goal)

• Fried Avocado Tacos

So whenever the weather gets warmer I find myself wanting Tex Mex. All I can think about are amazing tacos, guac, and cheap drinks. I think it has to do with my living experience in Texas. Not only was the weather almost always balmy in College Station and Houston, but many a days and nights were spent on restaurant decks with good food and a drink in hand, having a good time with friends. There's definitely something I miss about living in that area, even though I prefer my four seasons here in the Mid-Atlantic region. So I wanted to make fried avocado tacos. And I did. They were super tasty and while somewhat labor intensive, they didn't take as long as I thought they would. I sautéd some red cabbage, garlic, and an anaheim pepper, threw in some queso, and made a lime yogurt sauce to dress up the avocado. My partner approved, despite hating red cabbage.

3. Keep Morale High

Take time for non-work hobbies (weekly goal)

• Monday: X (as of now, may read before bed)
  • Tuesday: âˆš (Thanks week gaming tradition)

Work on Work-Life balance (weekly goal)

• Week 1: Leave work before 5 three days this week
  • Week 2: Less than an hour of mindless browsing
    • Monday âˆšâˆš
    • Tuesday: âˆšâˆš

Stop procrastinating on finding a therapist/seeking stable mental help (challenge goal)

• Downloaded list of mental health providers in my insurance network. Baby steps.

4. Flex that Charisma Score

Reach out to friends (weekly goal)

• Monday:  X
  • Tuesday: âˆš (Gaming friends...)

Attend meetups/socialize more (challenge goal)

• N/A

Wander somewhere new (challenge goal)

• N/A

Can I just say working with competitive people has it perks when it comes to step counts. They keep me motivated during the week. Still feeling good at this point, though things are getting a bit more busy now. I have to clean tonight because we're dog sitting (!!!), have rehearsal tomorrow, might be attending a school-related funeral, a murder mystery birthday party in which I get to dress up as a bearded lady (cannot wait to put together that costume!), and we finally are having our new couch delivered.

• Like 2

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

"“You've seen my descent, now watch my rising." ~ Rumi

Both great classes, but bards give you some wonderful role play opportunities that I have found hard to beat. 

Accurate.

What's weird is, I don't like either of those classes on their own. But multiclass and it's...magic. I'd definitely give bard a go if I had anyone to play with anymore.

Werewolf Druid | Lvl 2

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Character Sheet (work in progress)

My Current Challenge

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

It's time to toss the dice.

*Poke Poke* I see you have been like me and not been updating your thread. :D How has everything been going Jess?

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"  - Conan

Quests

What's weird is, I don't like either of those classes on their own. But multiclass and it's...magic. I'd definitely give bard a go if I had anyone to play with anymore.

And see, I'm not a huge fan of multiclassing. But that may be due to most of my campaigns not lasting long enough. 

And I am very lucky to have a group. That includes family members and significant others, but still. Having tried to find other groups I know how tough it can be. Especially when one is busy.

omg. That sounds amaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazing.

IT WAS

med_gallery_12015_403_91424.jpg

The birthday girl and I took a picture together, so I will share that once we find it. Sadly this does not show off how awesome my outfit was - just the orange beard hat I used. Also, I wasn't the murderer!

*Poke Poke* I see you have been like me and not been updating your thread. :D How has everything been going Jess?

Yeah, the end of this week was a little rough. I'm catching up now and will post.

• Like 1

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

Week Two Experience Points so Far:

73%
73%

66.66%
66.66%

• Cycling Class

2. Prepare for Adventure

Track food (daily goal)

42.8%
42.8%

• 3/3 Drinks

• Fried Avocado Tacos

3. Keep Morale High

• Wednesday: X
  • Thursday: âˆš (Rehearsal)
  • Friday: âˆš (Video games, reading, TV)
  • Saturday: âˆš (Reading, making a costume)

• Monday âˆšâˆš
    • Wednesday: X√
    • Thursday: âˆšâˆš
    • Friday: XX

Stop procrastinating on finding a therapist/seeking stable mental help (challenge goal)

• Downloaded list of mental health providers in my insurance network. Baby steps.
  • Took a mental health day

• Tuesday: âˆš (Gaming friends...)
  • Wednesday: âˆš (dinner with my work buddy)
  • Thursday: âˆš (Rehearsal and dinner with sister and co)
  • Friday: âˆš (Touched base with my Boston friends to finalize some spring break plans)
  • Saturday: âˆš (Murder Mystery Birthday Party!)

• N/A

• N/A

So once again I had a lovely thoughtful write up that was deleted due to my browser freezing up. Basically, the end of the week too a small nosedive because I have been all out of sorts emotionally. My work environment has been tough the past few weeks. Everyone is stressed out (typical right before spring break), and almost everyone I work with is taking that out on other employees, which is really shitty when you work in a school. So my motivation is at a low point at the moment, which is why I took a mental health day on Friday. I just needed a day away from all of that crap.

Not to mention this week was just emotionally tough. On Wednesday a coworker and I decided to join my work buddy at a wake for one of our parents. My work buddy has been helping the family since the parent passed away, and unfortunately we were not sure who would be able to attend the funeral. So myself, the coworker who teaches one of the children, and the work buddy all went to the wake. Which meant I did not get home till 9:30 and I stayed at work/grabbed dinner with said work buddy since everything was happening in DC. I'm glad we made that choice, but what a tough situation. And on Thursday we ended up being able to attend the funeral after all. So it was just an emotional, tough two days for a lot of people. Professionally it made me face a few questions about my abilities to help a family in this situation, as well as their elementary aged kids. We will see what happens over the next few weeks.

So yeah. I'm feeling a bit better after my mental health day and a fun Saturday. Not to mention dogsitting the best dog ever:

med_gallery_12015_1506_48357.jpg

So we're just chilling, enjoying this rainy Sunday while I drink coffee and he sleeps in our new couch! I hope to get my last workout in today. My second one was a long walk with this furry charge and my partner on Friday, so I would like to get something else in before the end of Week two.

As for my work environment (which I return to tomorrow), I need to do some serious reflection. I know this is a stressful time of year, but I wonder if I want to make my long-term plan to stay in a system that promotes this kind of behavior and environment for people who are here to help kids. I've been half-joking about international school counseling with my partner, and apparently he's open to the idea. So that might be a thing I begin researching over the summer. Truth is it's a little late for me to begin a job search for the next school year, and transferring schools won't necessary change this. I work for a good administrator and have an awesome team. I know other schools in the county aren't as lucky as we are, but transferring to another district? I may have missed my initial window for early job openings.

Anywho, back to coffee and hanging out with the dog.

• Like 4

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

As for my work environment (which I return to tomorrow), I need to do some serious reflection. I know this is a stressful time of year, but I wonder if I want to make my long-term plan to stay in a system that promotes this kind of behavior and environment for people who are here to help kids. I've been half-joking about international school counseling with my partner, and apparently he's open to the idea. So that might be a thing I begin researching over the summer. Truth is it's a little late for me to begin a job search for the next school year, and transferring schools won't necessary change this. I work for a good administrator and have an awesome team. I know other schools in the county aren't as lucky as we are, but transferring to another district? I may have missed my initial window for early job openings.

My brother is in a similar situation with his school. He likes teaching in Loudoun and the commute to the school isn't bad...but he just doesn't like the school. So he's been thinking about a move. Now my mom...she is recently retired, but taught at several schools. From her, "A change in schools can make a world of difference. The administration, who you teach with, the parents, the kids...it's about finding a good fit."

Werewolf Druid | Lvl 2

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

Character Sheet (work in progress)

My Current Challenge

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

It's time to toss the dice.

My brother is in a similar situation with his school. He likes teaching in Loudoun and the commute to the school isn't bad...but he just doesn't like the school. So he's been thinking about a move. Now my mom...she is recently retired, but taught at several schools. From her, "A change in schools can make a world of difference. The administration, who you teach with, the parents, the kids...it's about finding a good fit."

I interviewed with a few Loudoun schools. It's a shame, I initially liked the district, but wasn't impressed during my interviews. In general I would love to get into the NOVA area, but it sounds like if I want to change jobs we're thinking of a major relocation. Colorado keeps calling our name.

And it's so true. I know my last school was a terrible fit. The problem is this school is a great fit. Usually. Most of the time.

My approach this week has been to practice some detachment. I've been leaving as soon as I can (well before 4, my usual leaving time), and enjoying free time at home. It's been good so far. It's making me happier when I am at work and slightly more productive, which is a plus. Unfortunately focusing overall has been tough this week, and it's taking multiple reminders when something ridiculous happens to tell myself I can't control or change what other people do - just how I react to it. 

Week 2 review and this week so far coming soon.

• Like 2

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

Experience Points Week Two:

81%
81%

Grade: B-

66.66%
66.66%

Grade: C+

• Cycling

Grade: In Progress

2. Prepare for Adventure

Track food (daily goal)

42.8%
42.8%

Grade: D-

• 3/3 Drinks

Grade: A

• Avocado Tacos

3. Keep Morale High

• Thursday: âˆš (Rehearsal)
  • Friday: âˆš (Video games, reading, TV)
  • Saturday: âˆš (Reading, making a costume)
  • Sunday: âˆš

• Monday âˆšâˆš
    • Wednesday: X√
    • Thursday: âˆšâˆš
    • Friday: XX

• Got a list!

• Monday:  âˆš (messaged Boston friends about spring break)
  • Tuesday:  âˆš (gaming with my Houston buddies. Gotta love the internet)
  • Thursday: X
  • Friday: X
  • Saturday: âˆš
  • Sunday: âˆš

• N/A

• N/A

Well overall Week Two was pretty good. Again, had a small dip at the end due to a mental health day and a somewhat lazy weekend. Not to mention my fitbit was dead for almost all of Saturday, so I lost some steps.

• Like 1

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

Experience Points So Far For Week Three:

43%
43%

33.33%
33.33%

• Cycling

2. Prepare for Adventure

Track food (daily goal)

42.8%
42.8%

• 0/3 Drinks

• Avocado Tacos

3. Keep Morale High

• Monday: X (Quality time with the partner, watching TV)
  • Tuesday: âˆš (Gaming!)

• Week 3: Make a to-do list the night before
    • Monday âˆšâˆšX
    • Tuesday: âˆšâˆšX
    • Wednesday: âˆšX√

• Got a list!
  • Made a call for a counselor nearby, and it was the wrong number. -.- BUUUUUUUT I took another step. Dialing that number took a lot of courage and I almost talked myself out of it.

• Tuesday:  âˆš (gaming with my Houston buddies yet again)

• N/A

• N/A

Alright week three. Here we go. I went lifting Monday night, and realized I might need to take a break from lifting if my current goal is weight loss. The thought is rolling around in my head and we shall see.

• Like 1

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

All my eggs are in the Colorado basket! Or Hogwart's. That'd be a pretty good school to work at.

I'd be the Hogwart's school counselor in a heart beat.

Sorry to hear about the stressful/emotional stuff at work, but that dog definitely looks like a boost to mental health!

Thank you! He was a good companion for the weekend. :)

• Like 1

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

If you enjoy lifting, don't stop! 

I've got a whole longer bit to go into, but want to ask why you are considering this first?

Clearly I was not thinking when I posted last night.

I do not plan to give up lifting in general. I should have said I need to reconsider my program because it is oriented towards gains. If I want to keep powerlifting I just need to re-adjust a bit because I will be at a calorie-deficit. Which is something I will need help with, because all of my programming has always been oriented towards increasing numbers and getting the calories in to do so. So at the moment it feels like I'm not making progress in either direction because I want to do both. And I need one to take precedence and losing weight is it as of now.

But yeah. I love lifting. I may not be happy with it at the moment (ha, story of my life as of late), but I know weights can be part of my workout plan. Just not what I'm doing right now.

Hope that makes more sense. No more post-work-and-one-beer posting.

• Like 2

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter

On 3/18/2016 at 10:14 AM, JessOfAllTrades said:

Clearly I was not thinking when I posted last night.

I do not plan to give up lifting in general. I should have said I need to reconsider my program because it is oriented towards gains. If I want to keep powerlifting I just need to re-adjust a bit because I will be at a calorie-deficit. Which is something I will need help with, because all of my programming has always been oriented towards increasing numbers and getting the calories in to do so. So at the moment it feels like I'm not making progress in either direction because I want to do both. And I need one to take precedence and losing weight is it as of now.

But yeah. I love lifting. I may not be happy with it at the moment (ha, story of my life as of late), but I know weights can be part of my workout plan. Just not what I'm doing right now.

Hope that makes more sense. No more post-work-and-one-beer posting.

This definitely makes more sense!

This is also the time where I like to ask, are you taking measurements? It's very possible that maybe the scale isn't moving, but you can be seeing results in inches!

So learning the new forums has been fun. Also a little distracted because I'm officially on spring break.

The good news is I have been managing to get up and move a few times a week, as well as track my food. I'm usually good at staying under calories, though my partner can be a negative influence sometimes. Good thing he's cute.

Booze has been staying low, which is something I'm quite proud of - and we're both doing it. I put forward a good challenge for cutting down on dessert that will hopefully follow our alcohol success. No dessert unless we make it. We shall see how it goes.

Anywho, I'm off to PA, NYC, and Boston this week for some R&R, sightseeing, and friend/family seeing. I'm excited. And my booze limit is officially off - though I will still be tracking calories and aiming to eat less calories than I burn. The exercise plan is lots of walking, though I may inquire at my gym about a guest pass to other locations. I know there isn't one close to where my parents live, but Boston may work out a bit better. We shall see.

• Like 1

Storytelling Rebel
| Blog | Twitter