British Powerlifting?

Hello all,

Does anyone on this forum know about the British powerlifting scene? I am interested in perhaps going along to my first powerlifting meet - I'd probably come last, but I think it'd be an interesting and worthwhile experience. However, there appear to be about ten different federations, and I've no idea which are reputable and which are run by one guy in his basement. Can anyone cast some light on the situation?

Matt

Hey Matt,

There are at least five British powerlifters on here, all competing with GBPF, I'm one of them. The others are EvaBo, Jaymul, QoB and Tankweazel, who is one of the top female powerlifters in the UK but she's not around much at the moment. 

Where are you in the UK and I can put you in touch with your local GBPF rep?

I don't know as much about the other feds. I know a few people who compete with GPC (untested) and BDFPA (tested) but don't know a huge amount about them.

Hope that's helpful!

Sundae

Hello!

With regards to feds, the main distinguishing factors are drug testing (GBPF/BDFPA are the only two who test their members), equipment allowed, weigh-in period and whether you walk your squats out or not.

This is actually a fairly good guide:

http://www.powerliftinguk.com/UKPowerliftingFederations

Thanks - both of these replies are really helpful. I'm coming at this from an ultra-running background, so I couldn't be more of a fish out of water if I tried. That's part of why I want to give it a go, though!

I'm currently in Central London, but will be moving out to Kent in September. Not entirely sure whether I'll be trying something before then or not. Certainly need a few months of specific training to get to a place where I won't be embarassed.... :)

Firstly, never feel embarrassed about what you lift.

Secondly, if it's anywhere near to where you are in London, check out Bethnal Green Weightlifting Club for some of the best contacts for powerlifting in London and a very, very well-established powerlifting community (90 years of history of weightlifting, powerlifting and bodybuilding in that club): http://bgwlc.co.uk/Even if it's not nearby, they'll be able to help you find someone closer (but it might actually be worth travelling), although if you're happy to PM me what area of London you're in then I could do a wee ask around to see if any of my contacts are closer.

I'll do a wee check around about Kent.

Hey Matt,

There are at least five British powerlifters on here, all competing with GBPF, I'm one of them. The others are EvaBo, Jaymul, QoB and Tankweazel, who is one of the top female powerlifters in the UK but she's not around much at the moment. 

Where are you in the UK and I can put you in touch with your local GBPF rep?

I don't know as much about the other feds. I know a few people who compete with GPC (untested) and BDFPA (tested) but don't know a huge amount about them.

Hope that's helpful!

Sundae

I'm also the second biggest disappointment in GBPF at the moment.

GPC has much more exotic locations for their internationals (Vegas, Porto) some prize money and 24 hour weigh ins so I can supplement natas all day long and still make weight.

Tfw I would place top in GPC too but would get IPF B&

"Gentle means tired."

Battle Log / Youtube Channel / (lol am an..) Athlete Page

Level 4 Halfling Monk: STR - 181 | DEX - 12.5 | STA - 4.5 | CON - 6 | WIS - 4 | CHA - 7