Peelout combat rolls over another challenge

peelout

Combat roll - a white water kayak term for successfully completing an Eskimo Roll under duress in a rapid (as opposed to flat water).

I'm into white water kayaking which gets harder to do every year (I'm 55).  My MO is generally to spend 4 months getting in shape (flexibility, drop wt to 164, general strength conditioning) in preparation for kayak season which starts around mid-April for me (when there is still ice on the banks).  In the Jan challenge my wt dropped from 176 to under 173, then if Feb it went from 173 to 168.  During those 2 challenges, I also increased my flexibility through stretching and general strength through wt lifting.

Main quest for this challenge:

Round out my kayak season prep w further wt loss, increased back strength, and improved cardio.

Goal 1 - Big 3 - Same as Jan and Feb, no need to change what works.

Protein shake for breakfast everyday, salad 6 days/wk, and exercise every day.  I've yet to fail at these this year

Exercise will consist of any one of the following:

A) Wt lifting 3/wk + 14 stretching exercises - 

B ) Core + flexibility - 5min tread + 4 core exercises (lying crunch, seated ab machine, decline situps, machine twist, back bends) + 14 stretching exercises.  Add 1 set of pullups which might only be 1 rep.

C) Sport - type depends on season but I like variety (indoor wall climbing, kayaking, hiking, skiing)

D) 10 freebody squat placeholder - a couple times a month life throws a curve that takes up all time so I use a placeholder which consists of just 10 freebody squats.  It has no significant physical benefit but is just to remind my brain that exercise is now a daily habit.

The salad will count as completed on the 1 day/wk I don't eat a salad as long as it is the only day I did not eat a salad.

Goal 2 - Back strength focus during everyother wt lifting workout

My lifting routine for Feb was:

5x5 cable pulldowns

5x5 bench

5x5 shoulder press

20 sitouts

1x10 plate lift/press/reverse curl

15 stretches.

Kayaking (and pullups) require a lot of back work.  So I'm changing my routine to:

On strength w/o days, alternate the following 2 routines:

Routine 1 - same as above.

Routine 2: - starting Feb 28

Cable pulldowns 4x5x77.5, 1x5x120

Bench 1x5xbar&95, 3x5x120, 1x5x135

Seated low cable row 1x10x60, 1x10x75, 1x10x90

High machine row 1x10x90, 1x10x180, 1x5x180

Pullups 1x2

EZ curl bar 1x50

15 stretches

Goal 3 - Wt loss

I don't usually set wt loss goals, preferring to set the goal as diet changes.  But I need to drop 4 lbs this month to reduce my stomach slightly more (stomach fat reduces the ability to roll well).  So my goal is for my 3day average to drop 1lb/wk.

Goal 4 - Cardio improvement - NOS

NOS stands for NO Smoking.  I intend to quit this month.  The first 3 days is the most painful so I got a prescription for Wellbutrin and you take that for a couple weeks before quitting to diminish the side effects of quitting.  So I have to quit at some point during the 3rd or 4th week.  There, it is stated, and therefore it will be.  I'm not into failure.

Edit:  Goal 5 - Add floor straddle progression to core w/o's

Read this on starsaparts thread yesterday where there is a link showing how to do it.  Awesome core exercise.  Added this on 3/3.

Edit Again:  When I did this the second time, I noted some pain in lower back.  The next day the pain was more intense.  I've noticed this on stretches where you bend the spine and now make sure I don't over bend the spine.  So I am dropping this goal from the list.

Grading:

I'm not into the "well at least I tried" mindset.  I'll be grading each category weekly.  If I missed any category on any day, the week was an F.  If I kept every category, I got an A.  Pretty simple.

• Like 3

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Goal 1 - Big 3 - Protein shake everyday, Salad 6 days/wk, Exercise everyday 1/1

Done.

Goal 2 - Back strength focus during everyother wt lifting workout 1/1

Felt good to change up my w/o.  Could definitely feel the effect of the extra back work.

Cable pulldowns

4x5x77.5

1x5x120

Bench

1x5x95

3x5x120

1x5x135

1x2x145

Seated low cable row

1x10x60

1x10x75

1x10x90

High machine row

1x10x90

1x10x180

1x5x180

Pullups

1x2

EZ curl bar

1x10x50

15 stretches

Goal 3 - Wt loss of 4lbs

Wt 168.6

Breakfast - Protein shake

Lunch - Salad

Dinner - Salad and burger (no bun)

Snacks - 2 soda, 2 pieces small candies, popcorn

Goal 4 - Cardio improvement - NOS starting 3rd or 4th week of Mar

NA

A for the day

Happy getting started on my new back focus.  Ate salad for lunch and a second one w/ dinner to kick start the wt loss.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

As a further incentive, knowing your hate of gif-laden threads, I've stockpiled a bunch of "At Least You Tried" gifs just in case you fail to quit smoking.

Here's a small taste of what in you're in for:

funny-gif-at-least-you-tried.gif

Just trying to help buddy ;)

• Like 5

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Would you rather have people follow here or on the battlelog? I know they are similar, but I haven't followed your challenge threads since you started the battlelog.

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck the difference is.  Last challenge everyday looked the same on here.  I did what I said I was going to do and said done w/ very little additional words.  This time I'm going to put more info on here, and save the battle log more for habit formation discussion and things I learn from audio books.  I'm going to post less in my battle log this time, but when I post there, it will be higher level stuff.

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

As a further incentive, knowing your hate of gif-laden threads, I've stockpiled a bunch of "At Least You Tried" gifs just in case you fail to quit smoking.

Here's a small taste of what in you're in for:

funny-gif-at-least-you-tried.gif

Just trying to help buddy ;)

Oh God, not gifs.  I have to quit.  I must not fail.  For my sanity if not my health.

• Like 4

Current Challenge 

I am here, kayak bro. Do greatness.

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

This is the first time I've seen someone threatened with gifs. Now I have to stay to see what happens.

Good luck!

I am here, kayak bro. Do greatness.

Great to have visitors.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Feb 29

Goal 1 - Big 3 - Protein shake everyday, Salad 6 days/wk, Exercise everyday 2/2

Done.

Tonight was core + flexibility night.  

Goal 3 - Wt loss of 4lbs

Wt 167.4  NEW LOW  Of course, tomorrow will be a rebound, but as long as the new lows keep coming, I'm doing my happy dance

Breakfast - Protein shake, 2 sausage links

Lunch - McD's  (Yes, I intend to address this at a later date.)

Dinner - Salad and burger (no bun)

Snacks - 1 soda, 2 jelly beans

NA

A for the day New wt low of 167.4 started my day w/ a smile (previous low was 168.2).  Can't wait to get to ideal wt so I can eat for maintenance instead of wt loss.  Sunday was a pretty low calorie day and I think I could feel the effect tonight when I did my 5min treadmill.  Either that or all the back work I did yesterday is having an effect.  Only so much energy available at 55.  

Added 5lbs to my back bends on incline and 45deg incline situps.. Need to increase intensity of core work.  When I get flipped upside down in the kayak, I need to be able to explode forward as I bend towards the bow getting setup for the roll.  Sometimes the current works against this motion and a strong core is key to a good setup.  I can't say I'm a great kayaker, so I've compensated by developing a bullet proof roll.  Although ww kayakers always wear helmets, one of my fears is hitting my face on a rock upside down moving fast in the current (helmet only covers top, back, and side of head unless you wear a class 5 helmet which is kind of bulky).  So you want to get up as quickly as possible.

Feeling some extra soreness in my lats from yesterdays extra intense back routine.  That was anticipated.  Strange part and unanticipated is the soreness in my triceps.  I'm attributing that to the extra stretch during the negative portion of the additional back exercises.

Freaky amount of crap food brought into work today.  I saw 2 large trays of cookies, and 1 large tray of cinnamon rolls, and 1 large tray of something already eaten.  One of the trays was about 10ft from me and I knew they were good based on past experience.  Fortunately, they were finished off by others around 1pm and I managed to pass by them a dozen times w/o eating any.   Giving myself a "Gets shit done" award for that one.

So who moved there azz and who used if for a cushion today?

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

Definatly out of my guild, but sub'd cause this is motivational as shit man. I hope I am as awesome as you when I hit 55.

I'm pretty happy to be alive at 55.  Glad to have a cross guilder.

Great job avoiding the cookies, etc! 

Loving the gif threat, Sloth!

Nothing more motivating than the threat of gifs.  Wasn't there a movie called "Revenge of the Gifs"?

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

Freaky amount of crap food brought into work today.  I saw 2 large trays of cookies, and 1 large tray of cinnamon rolls, and 1 large tray of something already eaten.  One of the trays was about 10ft from me and I knew they were good based on past experience.  Fortunately, they were finished off by others around 1pm and I managed to pass by them a dozen times w/o eating any.   Giving myself a "Gets shit done" award for that one.

Some sociologist/psychologist should write a paper on the many facets of "work snacks". An accepted disposal method for junk food is to take it to work but then everyone at works pretends to hate and secretly loves you.

A dozen "walk-pasts" is a pretty stout amount of willpower exercises. My max for chewy cookies is around 3.

• Like 2

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Some sociologist/psychologist should write a paper on the many facets of "work snacks". An accepted disposal method for junk food is to take it to work but then everyone at works pretends to hate and secretly loves you.

A dozen "walk-pasts" is a pretty stout amount of willpower exercises. My max for chewy cookies is around 3.

Of course, you probably burn 10000 cal's everytime you run up a mountain.  You could afford to eat the whole tray everyday.  Ever guess how many cal's you burn on a typical w/o trail run?

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Mar 1

Goal 1 - Big 3 - Protein shake everyday, Salad 6 days/wk, Exercise everyday 3/3

Done.

Tonight was  general strength + flexibility night.  Back night is every other w/o and this was the non-back focus night.  Did add 2.5lbs to my cable pull downs and 5lbs to bench.  

Goal 3 - Wt loss of 4lbs

Wt 168.0 

Breakfast - Protein shake

Dinner - Salad and barbecued roast

Snacks - 1 soda, 1 tiny chocolate, 2 jelly beans.  Tummy is really hungry, probably have a small sweet snack later.

NA

A for the day

I was pretty happy w/ my wt this morning.  A rebound of 168.0 after my new low yesterday of 167.4 is a much smaller rebound than usual. I'm hungrier than usual tonight.  There is choc cake and vanilla ice cream in the fridge.  Part of me cries out for that.  There are some jelly beans in a bowl.  A couple of those would suffice my desire for something sweet and be a lot less cal's.  I'm getting so close to the goal, its like a black hole pulling me in.  Just wanting to get under 165 then I can eat for maintenance.  Reminds me of this song.  10 totally useless points to anyone who can name the group that sang the song that ends with these lyrics (w/o googling).

The x-ray is her siren song

My ship cannot resist her long
Nearer to my deadly goal
Until the Black Hole,
Gains control...

Spinning, whirling,
Still descending
Like a spiral sea,
Unending 

Sound and fury
Drowns my heart
Every nerve
Is torn apart... 

Increased my wt on my bench by 5lbs and 2.5 on my pulldowns.  I was happy about that.  I'm forcing myself to limit myself to increasing wts no more than every 2wks and then by only 5lbs on bench and 2.5lbs on cable pulldowns.  In the past, the amount I can lift increases quickly between months 2 and 5 and I always go berserk trying to lift more and more.  Then I get burnt out cause I'm expending so much energy on increasing wts and then try to keep up w/ all my other activities as well.  I'm committed to not letting that happen this time, hence, the limitation.  I have no real use for being able to lift a lot, just want to be generally fit so I can continue to pursue other activities like climbing, hiking, and kayaking.

I do 15 stretches after every w/o.  I've kind of hit a wall on my straight leg toe touches (feet shoulder width).  I am very close to being able to flat palm the ground, but just can't quite get there (w/o a bounce which doesn't count).  Not sure if it will improve w/ time, or if there is a physical reason why I haven't been able to get there (been able to get to where I am for about a month).  

Edit:  Song is Cygness X-1 by Rush

• Like 2

Current Challenge 

Sounds like a good day with good improvements! Congratulations on recognizing the cause of your previous burnouts and taking steps to make sure that doesn't happen this time. It's easy to just blame ourselves for falling off the wagon instead of recognizing that there's a reason it didn't work before and trying something different.

• Like 2

Battle Log

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Fitbit, Epic Quest Character

Of course, you probably burn 10000 cal's everytime you run up a mountain.  You could afford to eat the whole tray everyday.  Ever guess how many cal's you burn on a typical w/o trail run?

Haha...I feel like I've burned 10,000 calories. I try to discourage my companions from discussing where to go for food when we return because I find it really distracts me from enjoying the hike.

According to my all-knowing GPS/HR watch, an "easier" hike of 3.75 miles up the mountain (taking it easy, not an easy trail) burned 640 calories and the same hike at a faster pace burned 869. The 14 mile hike/snowshoe trip a couple of weeks ago lasted 9 hours and supposedly burned 2766 calories. The watch knows distance, elevation, my weight and HR so I imagine it does OK at guessing.

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

According to my all-knowing GPS/HR watch, an "easier" hike of 3.75 miles up the mountain (taking it easy, not an easy trail) burned 640 calories and the same hike at a faster pace burned 869.

So 3.75mi at a fast pace on a non-easy trail burns less than one small McD's meal and makes you very hungry.  God's idea of a joke.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

Mar 2

Goal 1 - Big 3 - Protein shake everyday, Salad 6 days/wk, Exercise everyday 4/4

Done.

Tonight was  general core + flexibility night.  Back night is every other w/o and this was the non-back focus night.  Increased wt on ab machine by 5lbs and added a 5lb wt to my 45deg incline situps..  

Goal 3 - Wt loss of 4lbs

Wt 167.8 

Breakfast - Protein shake, 2 sausage links

Dinner - Salad and barbecued roast

Snacks - 1 soda, 2 jelly beans.  

Taking Welbutrin for 3 wks then quit date will be around the start of 4th week.  Don't want to be punished with gifs so I must succeed.

A for the day

Remembered to buy my spinach.  Kilo's spinach gif was the 1st thing that popped into my mind when I got in my car after w/o.  Salads are great for losing wt.  I have a large salad with supper then just eat whatever meat product my wife makes.  I skip all of the high cal processed crap that she makes or just have a very tiny portion.

I was happy w/ my wt this morning.  I really thought I'd rebound back into the 168's but so far haven't.  Still could, but 167 is staying pretty firm and 168's would just be noise.  I think part of the problem/reason for the rebound is you get the feeling you deserve a "reward" for all your effort after a big drop.  And then the rewarding lasts for a couple days until you get annoyed that the wt is not dropping and you tighten up again.  Wt loss is strategy and consistency, not rocket science (at least in most cases in my opinion).

Added 5lb to the ab machine and 45deg incline situps.  Also added some torturous thing I saw on Startsapart's site where you lay on the floor and bring you knees up to your face.  I'm certainly not in her league on that.  I did learn that the move requires some good padding on the ground, otherwise your spine hurts from rubbing on a hard surface.  I'm adding it to my core w/o's, at least for a while.  My core is going to kick ass.

This song should be the theme song of everyone on this site.

• Like 5

Current Challenge 

Added new goal to my list:

Edit:  Goal 5 - Add floor straddle progression to core w/o's

Read this on starsaparts thread yesterday where there is a link showing how to do it.  Awesome core exercise.  Added this on 3/3.

Remind me to start doing this at tomorrows core routine.

• Like 2

Current Challenge