robozebra gets characteristically ambitious but actually plans things out this time

robozebra

So, last challenge I finished the Couch to 5k program. I may be getting a little ahead of myself, but after talking with one of my coworkers who is planning on this and doing some planning myself, I want to run the LA Marathon next year. The 2017 race will be on March 19. My plan right now is to spend a few weeks doing some speed work and getting really comfortable with running 5k, then doing the Bridge to 10k program, spending a few weeks doing speed work and increasing my weekly mileage and getting really comfortable at that distance, then starting a marathon training program. Something very beginner based and focused on just finishing rather than speed. It'll be my second one, I did the Marine Corps Marathon a few years ago (2013 I think?). It seems appropriate that my first marathon was on the East Coast, very close to where I grew up, and now my second one will be in my new city. I actually want to do the Conquer LA challenge, which would be running the Santa Monica Classic in September, than the Pasadena Half Marathon in January, and finally the LA Marathon in March. Barring an injury or some unforeseen difficulty, I feel confident that if I just pace myself and listen to my body and don't push myself too far too fast, I can do it. I've always preferred long distance running and am itching to get back into it.

So, that's my long-term goal right now. For this challenge, I want to get really comfortable with 5k before moving on, work on my speed, do more cross-training, and work on my diet a bit more. So......

Goal one: Run four days a week. The runs will be a mix of long, slower runs and shorter speed workouts. I haven't quite worked out a training plan yet. I want to say I'll just wing it, but I do much better with a set schedule for my training. I'll figure out a structured plan in the next couple days.

Goal two: One non-running based cross-training exercise per week. This was one of my goals last challenge, and I did it two out of the four weeks, so I'm including it again this time. I just went on my first hike last week and loved it, so I will definitely be doing more of those. I'd also like to do some strength training, especially core-strengthening workouts to supplement all the running.

Goal three: Cut candy and sweets down to one day a week. Last challenge I actually went the whole four weeks without eating french fries, which is still kind of blowing my mind. I have noticed a real issue I have with chocolate though, and that issue is that I always want it. I work at a Walgreens, so those of you who live near them know that in addition to medicine, housewares, and makeup, I am constantly surrounded by candy. Luckily we've finally gotten rid of all the clearance Valentine's candy, so I won't be tempted by giant boxes of chocolate marked down to 30 cents. I may potentially change this goal to sweets only twice a week if I feel myself really going crazy, but I want to at least try for once a week first. I surprised myself with the fries last time, maybe I'll surprise myself with chocolate this time. And while chocolate is my main vice, I don't want to end up replacing chocolate with Starburst or whatever, so it's all candy and ice cream and super sugary desserts in general. Healthier actual fruit-based treats are okay.

Life goal: Daily Spanish practice! Thanks to 18ck's Portuguese goal last time, I've been getting back into my Spanish practice, but I'm still not doing as much as I should. So at least once I day I'll do some kind of Spanish language lesson. I live and work in neighborhoods with large Spanish-speaking populations, so I hear it and get opportunities to use what I know all the time. There's no excuse to not keep up with learning more. No lie, as soon as I finished typing that sentence I got an alert on my phone from Duolingo that says "These reminders don't seem to be working. We'll stop sending them for now." No, Duolingo, keep reminding me to practice! I'm sorry I've been neglecting you!

So, that's what I've got planned. In personal life news, my dad starts chemo for his colon cancer tomorrow. It's a low-dose treatment, and supposed to be easier to tolerate than more rigorous treatments, but still. It's going to be rough for him and rough for me because I live on the opposite side of the country and can't be there to help take care of him when he's sick. He and my mom both said they'll keep me updated but I am 100% sure they're not going to be totally honest with me about how he's feeling all the time. It'll be either five or six weeks, Dad told me five and Mom told me six so I'm not actually sure which. The plus side is he may not need surgery or any additional treatment after this. Fingers crossed!

I don't want to end this post on that downer note, so I'll just say I'm excited for this new challenge! Yay for healthy lifestyle changes! And eventual long distance running! And learning foreign languages! Let's do it!

• Like 2

Current challenge: Respawn Time!

I think the idea of a long term goal and planned stages along the way is excellent. Also really pleased to see your spanish is progressing well. I think the next version of duolingo has a stick-a-fork-in-you-if-you-forget-to-study feature.

BTW, regarding sweets, weirdly, you might find total abstinence easier than reduced rations. I find if I've had a few days of low carbs I don't have the same intense need to grab a cake and shove it in my face. Each to their own though, of course!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Wow, 5k to marathon in a year sounds pretty intense to me! But since you've already got one under your belt, I'm sure you'll do great. I definitely agree that having something that resembles a fixed schedule = more success in the long run. I'll be excited to see what you come up with!

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Marathon long term goal is impressive. It'll be challenging, but I bet that if you plan your training out carefully and don't get hurt, it'll be easy enough. If you just add 2 miles per month, you'll make it.

As another chocolate lover, I sympathize with the temptation. I've at least got the option of staying out of Walgreens and CVS most of the time!

• Like 1

Karen

Otherwise know as Fiddle

Current Challenge

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/108280-fiddle-eats-less-and-fiddles

Past Challenges:

Jan 2016, Feb 2016, March 2016April 2016, May 2016June/July2016, July/August 2016, Sept/Oct 2016, Nov 2016, May 2017

Didn't mean to disappear for a few days there, oops! So, this week has been... interesting. For my speed training, I have decided to use this plan from Hal Higdon. I've been doing it for the past few days, and actually happened to start on the same day as the schedule so for once in my life the days of the week each workout is assigned match up to the actual day. That never happens.

I think I'm gonna do some yoga for my cross training this week. Work has been stressing me out like crazy so I need some relaxing stretches right now. I've been filling in at a different store than my normal one because a supervisor there quit so they're short staffed and holy hell I can see why they quit. It is super crazy all the time. My store is a high volume store, but it's got nothing on this one. Plus, it's 24 hours. I seriously hope I don't get scheduled for any night shifts, but it doesn't look like that'll happen. I do not get paid enough to deal with the people I have to deal with here. The manager is kind of mean, too. I think this may actually be a good thing because I'm finally starting to look up job postings again. I've been saying I want a better paying job for a while now, but not really doing anything about it, but the idea of going to this store for even just a month is so depressing. Anyway, the point of all of this complaining is that I didn't stick to my candy/chocolate/whatever only once per week. I actually ate chocolate on day one, lol. I had a bag of these tiny Butterfingers squares things and I wanted to get rid of them so they weren't tempting me (plus I just wanted some chocolate). So I just decided that would be my candy for the week. But I was just so upset after work today that I got some ice cream on the way home. I don't want to keep relying on food when I'm upset, but if I'm being honest, it did kind of make me feel better. That and watching a bunch of Broad City episodes. I also had french fries for the first time in over a month yesterday, but I'm not jonesing for any more or anything right now so I guess it's okay (also, legit, I was so so hungry and stuck in rush hour in LA traffic so I wanted to grab whatever I could eat in the car on the way home. It was a i-am-starving-and-still-forty-minutes-from-home purchase, not a giving-into-cravings purchase).

So, yeah. Work is making me hate everything, but nothing makes me want to go to the gym like bottling up all of my rage for eight hours. So at least there's that. My dad's treatment has been going pretty well. Apparently he hasn't been too sick, he just gets tired easily. He has to be in the hospital for like five hours at a time, which sounds pretty awful to me, but he did stress that the chair he sits in while he gets his chemo is very comfortable.

I have been practicing Spanish every day! I'm just doing duolingo when I have a few minutes right now. I need to start adding some more variation in. I signed up for an online Spanish class a while ago and I never finished it, so I'm going to go back to that. I actually helped a customer today using what little Spanish I know with what little English she knows to figure out that what she needed was on la pared, a la derecha. Bam! I assume that means "the wall, to the right" because she understood me.

I am so tired right now and it's not even 8 o'clock. And I still have to do laundry. And I still haven't watched the season finale of Agent Carter, which aired like three days ago! Also my cat is climbing into my lap and rubbing her face on me which is a sign that it's time for me to stop whatever I'm doing and pet her.

• Like 1

Hey, Spanglephone* hero! Well done for speaking to a customer in Spanish. That shows a lot of confidence.

How are you finding Hal Higdon? Mrs 18ck is a fan too.

Soinds like you have a lot if heavy stuff going on in your life at the moment. Stay strong, matey. And give the cat a pat from me.

*=not the right word but I like it anyway.

Posting from a phone. If this doesn't make sense, blame Tapatalk

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

Hey Robozebra! I've had a lot of success with Hal Higdon plans in the past. I stopped running after a half marathon plan (training for a tough mudder), which is why I am here. I want to get back into running, without a race being the end goal. I want to be able to run a race distance, without specifically training for it.

Currently I am working to add back in a Saturday run. I have a great Mon-Thurs routine down, but 3 days off in a row is too much!

Any who it seems you like running longer distances way more than I do - Hal Higdon should suit you really well. Just trust the plan and you'll get there. Make a plan for after the races too to stay strong and unhurt!

Good Luck - I'm going to follow the rest of your March challenge if you don't mind as well!

Current Challenge

"Building a New Normal" - My Character

Walk to Mordor (Hobbiton to Rivendell - Loot = new minimalist shoes)

23%

Adulting in April

18%

Sorry for disappearing yet again. I am actually keeping up with the challenge, just for whatever reason I keep forgetting to post on here.

As much as I hate running 400s, I do like the training program. I feel like I've done something by Hal Higdon before. I may have done a half-marathon program by him a few years ago, I can't remember exactly though. I did realize that it has me running 5 days a week instead of the 4 I was planning on. I was worried that that would mean increasing my mileage by too much at once, but week one went well, and this week and last week I missed a day because I had trouble falling asleep the night before and decided to sleep in to make for it instead, so I'm still only running 4 days. Although my goal is to actually make all five days next week.

I love running long distances, but I've realized I hate running long distances on a treadmill. It's SO BORING. I find myself staring at the time just waiting until I can go home. I keep telling myself I'm going to go running around the Hollywood Reservoir, but it closes early so it's hard to find the time to get there. I just have to get up really early so I can make it before work, I guess. Ugh, I hate mornings.

Last week, I spent one day at work just moving really heavy boxes from one high shelf to another high shelf a few feet away. Why I was chosen for this job I will never know, but I consider it my cross-training for that week. Haven't done this week's yet.

The lack of candy has been going well, too. After I messed up the first week, I did well last week and just got some cookies one day. Yesterday, I got a bag of those mini chocolate donuts, so that's this week's chocolate. It hasn't been too bad so far, I've been wanting candy and came close to buying some extra a couple times but have been able to stop myself. So that's good.

Fun fact: I recently got new health insurance so I went on their website to do a little questionnaire that gives you suggestions about what you could improve to be healthier, and it suggested I take a free online course they offer on handling symptoms of depression. Womp womp. Probably because I answered questions like "How often do you feel stressed or anxious?" with "All of the time." I've started the course, so far I can't say I feel much better, but I'm only on the first skill: "Replacing negative thoughts." But I'll be keeping up with that for the next couple weeks at least. Hopefully I'll see some improvement in my mood. Luckily, one thing that always puts me in a good mood is running, and I've been doing plenty of that.

So, I need to leave for work in like 5 minutes and I'm still in my pajamas. So I need to run, I just wanted to give you all an update since it's been so long. I promise I will do my best to actually keep up with this page, and be better about responding to other people's threads as well!