tinkerer shoulders his pack

tinkerer

For those who may not know me, I'm tinkerer. I love to make things for our house, fix cars, and weld. I can figure out how most things work and enjoy trying to fix broken items. Over the last five years, I've been drawn in to mountaineering. In an odd cycle, fitness is what got me into mountaineering and now mountaineering is what motivates me to work out. I enjoy all of the individual elements of mountaineering separately as well: hiking, rock climbing, backpacking, snowshoeing, etc.

Intro

It's time to get into the hills!

For the last few challenges (links in signature), I embarked on a mountaineering training program based on the book "Training for the New Alpinism". My overall goals are to improve my aerobic fitness and strength for climbing in a rock climbing sense. During this period, I'm starting to focus on developing muscular endurance. This translates into carrying heavy things for long distances. I need to put in a good deal of time at a low aerobic output (<75% of my max HR) as well as continue some higher exertion hill training and strength training.

As a side note, I have no idea what class to join anymore. I decided to stick with the scouts because I enjoy the company. Also, what I'm shooting for is really endurance - which is a scout-like quality!

Week 4 will be a rest week. There will be no hill climb or strength training, and other work will be decreased.

Outside of my training, I'm also assisting with an introduction to mountaineering class put on by our local club. This means some extra time commitments and some opportunities to meet new climbing friends.

Goal 1: Complete 1 Max Strength / Core Workout each Week
This is made up of 10 different core exercises and then four individual exercises for strength training. Those are weighted pullups, pistol squats, weighted dips, and shrimp squats.

Goal 2: Go Rock Climbing each Week
This can either be accomplished indoors at our climbing gym or, if the weather improves, outside at the local crag. I don't have a specific goal for difficulty or duration of the climbing because the main thing is to focus on actually going.

Goal 3: One Zone 3 Hill Climb each Week
This is something I've been doing for a couple of months now. The goal is to climb at a speed which correlates to 80-90% of my max HR (Zone 3). For scheduling purposes, a Zone 3 run is an acceptable substitute but is not preferred.

Goal 4: One Hike each Weekend
This will be done in Zone 1 (<75% max HR) with a weighted pack. This is a key part of the muscular endurance training in which the legs get a good workout.

Goal 5: Accumulate Zone 1 Time
This will be a combination of descending from the hill climb, running, hiking, and any other aerobic activities. I have a 30 minute run each Thursday morning with my co-workers that will play into this.
Week 1: 250 Minutes
Week 2: 275 Minutes
Week 3: 300 Minutes
Week 4: 210 Minutes

Bonus Points:
As part of the mountaineering class, I'm encouraged to schedule training hikes, runs, etc. for the other instructors and students. I would like to do at least two of these this month.
  • Like 3

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Week 4 will be a rest week. There will be no hill climb or strength training, and other work will be decreased.

This will be done in Zone 1 (<75% max HR) with a weighted pack. This is a key part of the muscular endurance training in which the legs get a good workout.

As always, I'm here.  I feel like flying out to WA to take your class.  Got any airline points you can send me to get a free ticket?

Confused about your goal.  You said "Week 4 will be a rest week w/ no hill climb".  But Goal 4 is to have "One Hike each Weekend".  Can you achieve both or am I missing something.

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Week 1 Day 0 (Doesn't Count): Hiking

Went hiking with friends. I took along a 30 pound pack which was a nice training weight.

7.6 miles

Week 1 Day 1: Rest

Slept badly and used this as an errand, clean up the house day. My plan is to get in my strength workout tomorrow after work, which will be late (not off until 7:00 instead of 4:00).

Those sound like a really well-targeted set of goals. Teaching the class should be a lot of fun, too. I always wind up learning more than I ever expect to when I give instruction to others.

Absolutely! I helped out last year and learned as much as I would have taking a different class. This year they are doing some "side classes" for the instructors which is still another added benefit.

As always, I'm here.  I feel like flying out to WA to take your class.  Got any airline points you can send me to get a free ticket?

Confused about your goal.  You said "Week 4 will be a rest week w/ no hill climb".  But Goal 4 is to have "One Hike each Weekend".  Can you achieve both or am I missing something.

Glad to have you!

I can do both. The "Hill Climb" is a Zone 3 trek up the local mountain. Afterward, the goal is to feel like saying "well, that was an ass-kicker". The weekend hikes are supposed to be done at a moderate pace and so is permitted during week 4. I'm just trying to avoid strenuous training during that week.

Your goals are progressing nicely :). I'll be here to follow your progress ;).

Glad to have you along again!

• Like 2

tinkerer

Week 1 Day 2: Strength

I had a late meeting this evening but was able to get in a strength training workout afterward. I am keeping the same routine that I've been using for the last 2 months with one exception. The training program I've been following has this really convoluted weighted pullup progression. 1x4, 2x2, 2x2, 4x1, 3x3, etc. Never the same, except when it is (to be different :)). You are supposed to choose a weight that is just at the max to complete the prescribed workout for the day. I did that for the last two challenges and just did a standard progression for dips. My dips gains were better and I was always confused as to what weight to use for the pullups. So this go around, the weird progression goes away.

Duration: 57 minutes.

Tomorrow: I get to do a hill-climb hike with a couple of friends.

Oh cool that you're involved in teaching! Sounds like a great way to meet likeminded people.

To be honest, meeting new climbing friends is the #1 reason I'm helping...followed closely as SaltyDragon suggested by the fact that through teaching you wind up learning a bunch!

• Like 2

tinkerer

OK, where I did I leave off here...oh yeah, strength training. I used my HR monitor during my strength training workout to see how that looked. I don't think it changed much as far as my training approach but it was interesting to see how quickly your HR jumps when you are holding an L-Sit or doing pullups. I'm not sure if this is good form or bad form but anyone interested can check it out here:

hr-strength_zpsr8hlgjli.jpg

Week 1 Day 3: Hill Climb Zone 3 Hiking

Well...this didn't go exactly as planned. I met up with my regular buddy and a new friend for the local mountain hill climb. My new friend brought along a 35 pound pack for training purposes. I had a 20 pound pack and my regular buddy just had a small hydration pack. We set off at a speedy clip but part way up we needed to slow down to keep together. I ended up with a Zone 1 workout (even on the way up) instead of Zone 3. That's OK because it was good to hike with someone new but I'll be honest I was a bit disappointed. And then I laughed at myself for taking things too seriously. My new friend said it was great and that he'd do it again so that is good news.

3.73 miles, 1:35 duration, about 1800 feet.

Week 1 Day 4: Running

I had been planning on a nice, relaxing, zone 1 run this morning. However, I also thought I needed some Zone 3 time after last nights hike. As a result, and because I was running with my marathon-training-for coworker, we went at a brisk 7:30/mile pace. It was a less relaxing but still very pleasant way to start the day. And definitely hit Zone 3 HR targets. :)

4.00 miles, 30:07 duration.

In case anyone wants to see where I keep track of all the data, here's a link to my fancy Training Log spreadsheet.

Planning to go climbing tonight, so I'll continue today's entry later.

• Like 3

tinkerer

Hi Tinkerer, sorry I'm a little late to the party but I'm catching up now :)

It is really cool that you got into mountaineering yourself in the last 5 years and now you're able to help others do the same.   HAve you scheduled those hikes/runs for the class yet?

I like the HR data in the spoiler - which exercise made the 156 peak?

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

I love the freezing cold.  I've always wanted to overnight tent camp in sub-zero F weather.  Whats the coldest you've ever slept out?

Not actually all that cold. Probably around 10 degrees F or so...

I don't think HR is a good indicator of form. If what you're doing is hard it will spike no matter if it looks nice or not.

Oh, yeah. I didn't write that very well. What I meant to say is that for strength training I'm unsure if I'm supposed to keep my HR in a certain range, allow full recovery to resting HR, or something else.

Hi Tinkerer, sorry I'm a little late to the party but I'm catching up now :)

It is really cool that you got into mountaineering yourself in the last 5 years and now you're able to help others do the same.   HAve you scheduled those hikes/runs for the class yet?

I like the HR data in the spoiler - which exercise made the 156 peak?

I haven't scheduled any of the group/conditioning hikes, yet. I was hoping to go on an adventure this weekend and held my schedule open for that. However, all of my regular adventure buddies (including my wife) are busy doing other things. I'm struggling with indecision as to how far to go, what hike to pick, how to publish it to the group, etc. I just need to jump on it and get it done.

That particular exercise was a side plank combined with a dumbbell lift. I think the HR spike is because I'm doing 18 reps with each arm (peak HR on the second side) so it is a longer duration than most of the other exercises.

It's cool that you have so many people around you with whom you can exercise :).

8mph sounds like a very fast pace to me, especially if that's your average for half an hour :).

It's fun to have a lot of workout buddies because usually (this weekend being an exception) there is someone to help motivate me to get out there and do things. I'm starting to miss running on my own though...

• Like 1

tinkerer

Week 1 Day 4 Continued: Climbing

I went climbing with my friends. The highlight was seeing some other friends that I haven't been able to catch up with in a few months. My climbing was not as good as it's been in recent trips.

Week 1 Day 5: Rest

Week 1 Day 6: Hiking

A couple of my friends are getting into hiking and agreed to go on a short notice hike. I assumed we wouldn't be going too far so I loaded up a 45 pound pack (that is pretty heavy for me) and we set off. We ended up hiking a little over seven miles and my legs were pretty tired by the end of the day. However, this is exactly the kind of training I need to be doing so it was a great day for training.

7.1 miles, 2:58 hours, 968 feet of elevation, 104 avg BPM HR.

I think this satisfies my goals for the week. I'll double check and post a summary tomorrow.

tinkerer

Oh, yeah. I didn't write that very well. What I meant to say is that for strength training I'm unsure if I'm supposed to keep my HR in a certain range, allow full recovery to resting HR, or something else.

Oops, totally misunderstood that. Though I'm not sure that HR can be used in that way for pure strength training anyway. But from the graph it looks like your average HR is fairly steady and that you give yourself enough rest time, so as long as you can keep up with the prescribed reps and sets you should be ok.

Week 1 Summary

Wow, that week flew by! I actually feel that my training for this challenge has backed off slightly in intensity from the weeks prior. Probably the cause of that feeling is decreasing the strength training sessions from twice to once per week. Additionally, had my hill climb been zone 3 I would have needed a longer run to finish out my aerobic minutes goal. All in all, I'm feeling pretty good. The hike with a heavy pack yesterday was a good reminder that this training is necessary and that there is plenty of room for improvement.

Goal 1: Complete 1 Max Strength / Core Workout each Week
Week 1: Done!

Goal 2: Go Rock Climbing each Week
Week 1: Climbed indoors with friends.

Goal 3: One Zone 3 Hill Climb each Week
Week 1: Done, Accomplished with the combination of a Zone 1 Hill Climb and a Zone 3 4 mile run.

Week 1: Completed with a 45 pound pack.

Goal 5: Accumulate Zone 1 Time
Week 1: 250 Minutes Done! Actual: 273 Minutes
Week 2: 275 Minutes
Week 3: 300 Minutes
Week 4: 210 Minutes

Bonus Points:
As part of the mountaineering class, I'm encouraged to schedule training hikes, runs, etc. for the other instructors and students. I would like to do at least two of these this month.
Week 1: No Progress
  • Like 2

tinkerer

Outstanding week!

I agree that it's great to have workout partners and friends who like to do activities with you. I do most of my workouts solo out of necessity, presently, but it's nice to have options.

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Awesome job on Week 1.  I'm waiting for you to fail some week so I have an excuse to slack off and fail.  Otherwise, I can't allow myself to fail.

Current Challenge 

Pullup Question:

I have really been wondering about pullups lately. Over the last couple of challenges, I've gone from 5 hanging leg raises to 11, from 3 reps of dips with 30 pounds to 3 reps with 50, and from 25 to 35 seconds of L-Sit hold. Why have my pullups not improved similarly? I got to wondering about form and if I'm recruiting the proper muscles. If I was doing them improperly, would I experience a stall even after switching up my routine? I don't know but I found this article and video (below). The summary is that to match this I would need to extend my chest much more and pull to there instead of in a more vertical alignment. I tried it after my strength workout yesterday and following this method feels very different (e.g. this is not what I'm doing). Does anyone have thoughts or comments on this? I would like to modify my technique if there is something to be gained from it. 

• Like 1

tinkerer

You might throw this on the Warriors site.

Have you gained wt over time lately?  I find the # of pullups I can do increases as my wt drops.  I've also noticed that a slight lean back increases the # of pullups I can do by 1 or 2.

Thats all I got.

Current Challenge 

Outstanding week!

I agree that it's great to have workout partners and friends who like to do activities with you. I do most of my workouts solo out of necessity, presently, but it's nice to have options.

I have conflicting feelings on the subject. Running is a great example: sometimes having that time to myself is amazing and sometimes I enjoy the company.

Awesome job on Week 1.  I'm waiting for you to fail some week so I have an excuse to slack off and fail.  Otherwise, I can't allow myself to fail.

Hmmm...that is the reverse of how I'm viewing this... I see two outcomes. Either we mutually agree to become couch potatoes or this is going to be a pretty consistent training period for us.

Have you gained wt over time lately?  I find the # of pullups I can do increases as my wt drops.  I've also noticed that a slight lean back increases the # of pullups I can do by 1 or 2.

Thats all I got.

No, I haven't gained any weight. Over the last 3 months I actually seem to have lost about 5 pounds.

Or in the bodyweight subforum.

Just a thought, but maybe it's not necessarily a form issue but rather a weakness in a specific muscle or movement that prevents you from progressing? Don't know but I'm very curious about other people's thoughts on the matter.

Excellent week 1 btw.

Thanks for the week 1 comment!

I guess the heart of my question is "why am I improving in other areas and not in pullups despite similar training?". If it was a specific muscle weakness - shouldn't I have been training that weakness through pullups? Again, I don't have any idea...this has been really perplexing to me lately. I posted the question in the bodyweight forum as suggested --> Here.

tinkerer