tinkerer shoulders his pack

tinkerer

I enjoyed reading your introspective.  Balancing priorities can be so difficult.  I find it hard to balance priorities within my getting fit activities as well as balancing getting fit with other life activities.  Within would be balancing strength vs low body fat, energy the next day vs pushing hard during the w/o, etc.  Outside is the obvious fitness vs family, home projects, etc.  One reason I like NF is it gives me a chance to write my meandering thoughts and get some feedback.  There is usually no "definitive" answer to most of my questions, but it gives me something to think about and sketch out some sort of plan to try.

One thing I sometimes do is use a pareto chart and apply weighting factors to the benefit of various categories.  You probably know what I'm talking about but just in case, it would look something like below.  You then multiply the values across each row and use that to prioritize.  I don't always go with the order it gives me, but just going through the exercise using helps me gain clarity on what categories are the most critical to use, and what my true priorities are.  A lot of times when I start applying weighting factors, it makes me thing about the column heading categories and I find that some of the column headings really aren't as important as I thought.  Then that category gets thrown out.  When I was debating what type w/o's to do, some of my categories were cardio, strength, muscular size, % fat.  When I started applying weighting factors, I got to thinking "I'm 55, is muscular size really of any importance anymore?".  It helped me come to the conclusion that what I really want is high energy.  Any way, its something to try if you want.

fitparetofortinkerer.png

By the way, you mentioned "positive feedback from others" in both your categories.  I was thinking about what it is that draws a person to a website like this the other day.  My term for positive feedback from others was "stroking my ego".

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
Diet is 80% of losing weight, exercise is 80% of motivation.

The only thing I am 100% sure of is my ability to be wrong.

Week 4 Day 1: Running

Went for a 40 minute run before work. I thought it was going to be 40-45 degrees (of course Fahrenheit you crazy Europeans! I'd be dead...) but it turned out to be about 32 and snowed / rained on me the whole run. Oh well, it was still nice to get out.

40:34 and 3.38 miles. 137 bpm.

21 hours ago, Waanie said:

So you did not exercise in a low hart-rate zone because you were doing light exercise all weekend? Sounds fair to me ;).

Seriously though, good job on week 3 :). 8:15/mile for 10km sounds reasonable to me, when will your race be?

Well, a lot of it was just standing there.

My first race (the 10K) is April 3rd. The 12K race (the one I'm really working toward) is May 1st.

16 hours ago, peelout said:

By the way, you mentioned "positive feedback from others" in both your categories.  I was thinking about what it is that draws a person to a website like this the other day.  My term for positive feedback from others was "stroking my ego".

So I've thought about this a bit and I both agree and disagree. That was my initial thought but it's more than that. It's certainly true that the encouragement and validation found here is important to me. But as Talvi said above, it's also the process of thinking through my goals and then ticking them off. This gives me a way to formal pick priorities and then to work toward them.

• Like 1

tinkerer
Level 14 Elven Blacksmith

current challenge - yearlong quest

14 13 12 11 10 9.1 9.0 8 7 6 5 4,2 4.1 4.0 3 2 1

Week 4 Day 2: Rest

Week 4 Day 3: Running and Climbing

Another 40 minute run before work. I made it up a new route so I'm excited about that. I'm also climbing fairly well in the 5.11 range now and feel like I'm not trying to "break into" that rating any more and now I'm just trying to climb better and more strongly on 5.11 routes. 5.11bs remain the top of my ability.

Week 4 Day 4: Running

Although this is technically a rest week, I need to get a lot of running accomplished. Usually, I can use a couple of hours of pack-carrying hikes on the weekend toward my zone 1 goals. This will be a hike-free weekend though so I need to get it all in through running. With the 40 minute run this morning, I'm withing 90 minutes of my goal. That means I can go for a long run Sat or Sun and meet my goal.

Over the course of this week, I've gone on three 40-minute runs on the exact same route. Interestingly, my performance has improved each time. I have no explanation for this.

Date Duration Distance Pace HR
3/22/2016 0:40:34 3.38 0:12:00 137
3/24/2016 0:39:08 3.67 0:10:40 136
3/25/2016 0:40:25 4.01 0:10:05 139

• Like 2

tinkerer

It was interesting to read your summary of your fitness/adventure motivations.  At least you now have a good grasp why you are doing what you doing, although it sounds like the "positive feedback from others" was really worrying you as a motivator.  I have thought before about how weird it is that I can enjoy getting support and attention from others so much.  I don't feel like I need the validation for my own goals and I don't do my challenge's in order to get it, but 'positive feedback' can be so satisfying, energising and motivating.   To be honest, I like and agree with how Peelout put it - "stroking my ego".    NF is good for getting me to write down my goals in words and work towards something specific.  I can get satisfaction at the beginning and at the end of the challenge just from setting goals, but I'll admit that the community on NF helps me maintain my motivation during the challenge.  It is a guilty pleasure, but it can be used wisely as a motivational tool so I don't the "ego stroking" bother me :P

Hey, your race is on the same day as mine!  What are you going to be doing for the next week (before the next challenge) to prepare?  Also, your improvement in speed this week are very impressive.  Were you actively pushing yourself harder each time?  Was the last time your maximum effort?

• Like 1

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...

2 hours ago, Talvi said:

To be honest, I like and agree with how Peelout put it - "stroking my ego".    NF is good for getting me to write down my goals in words and work towards something specific.   It is a guilty pleasure, but it can be used wisely as a motivational tool so I don't the "ego stroking" bother me :P

Psychologists probably have a cooler name for ego stroking, like self actualization or reaffirment or something.  

Hey Tink, 

I think this should be your next years challenge - The Barkley Marathons.  I just saw a show about it on Netflix.  Its in the woods and involves running.  Right up your alley.  And totally psychotic.  Have you heard of it?

The Barkley Marathons is a 100 miles (160 km) run and a 60 miles (97 km) "fun run" held annually in Frozen Head State Park near Wartburg, Tennessee in late March or early April.

The course itself, which has changed distance, route, and elevation many times since its inaugural run in 1986, currently consists of a 20-mile (32 km) loop with noaid stations except water at two points along the route and the runner's parked car at the beginning of the loop. Runners of the 100-mile version run this loop five times, with loops three and four being run in the opposite direction and loop five being runner's choice. Runners of the 60-mile "fun run" (considered to be harder than Hardrock) complete three circuits of the loop.

With 54,200 feet (16,500 m) of accumulated vertical climb, the 100-mile run is considered to be one of the more challenging ultramarathons held in the United States, if not the world.

In addition to running, competitors must find between nine to eleven books along the course, the number varies per year, and remove the page corresponding to the runner's race number from each book as proof of completion.[1]

The cut-off time for the 100-mile race is 12 hours per loop, and the cut-off for the 60-mile version of the race is 40 hours overall, which averages out to approximately 13 hours and 20 minutes per loop. Since the race's inception in 1986, only 14 runners out of about 800 have completed the 100-mile race within the official 60 hour cut-off. In 2006 nobody finished even the 60-mile "fun run" in under 40 hours. The best women's achievement is Sue Johnston's 66 miles (106 km) in 2001. More than 30 competitors failed to reach first book (two miles).[2][3]

The race is limited to 35 runners and usually fills up quickly the day registration opens. Potential entrants must complete an essay on "Why I Should be Allowed to Run in the Barkley." The race starts at different times each year and is signaled by the lighting of a cigarette.

• Like 1

Current Challenge 

First, here is a picture from mountaineering class last weekend. I took a picture on my run today but accidentally deleted it so you'll have to visualize a nice path through the woods.

Spoiler

P1020988_zpsxeriydsg.jpg

Week 4 Day 7: Running

This morning I went for a 90 minute run to finish off my running goal for the week. It was kind of a rainy morning but it was still a really nice run. I took a loop through a local wooded area for a total of a bit over 8 miles.

7 hours ago, peelout said:

I think this should be your next years challenge - The Barkley Marathons.  I just saw a show about it on Netflix.  Its in the woods and involves running.  Right up your alley.  And totally psychotic.  Have you heard of it?

One of two things is happening here:

1) You vastly, grossly, hugely overestimate my physical abilities or

2) You hate me and want me to die.

That sounds like a really incredible accomplishment but also like something I'm in no way prepared to tackle.

9 hours ago, Talvi said:

It was interesting to read your summary of your fitness/adventure motivations.  At least you now have a good grasp why you are doing what you doing, although it sounds like the "positive feedback from others" was really worrying you as a motivator.

Hey, your race is on the same day as mine!  What are you going to be doing for the next week (before the next challenge) to prepare?  Also, your improvement in speed this week are very impressive.  Were you actively pushing yourself harder each time?  Was the last time your maximum effort?

This thing that was most worrying to me was the idea that I was pursuing things not for my own reasons but to gain recognition from others. It was a good exercise to realize that, while that is certainly part of the picture, there are other good reasons for my actions as well.

Oh cool! I think your race is substantially more of a big deal but it will be fun to have a virtual race buddy. I hadn't really worked out how to structure the weeks prior to the races. My tentative thought is to go on a couple short runs, strength train, and climb but to decrease my zone 1 volume quite a bit. I really have no idea how to prepare for a race. I'm hoping to run the races at a zone 3 HR (85-90%)

The gains in that week of results aren't real gains. That is just the different in my performance at a similar HR on three subsequent days. I suspect diet, rest, and time of day all play into the differences. In theory, I was putting forth about the same amount of effort on all three runs.

tinkerer

Challenge Summary

I'm pretty happy with the results of this challenge. I mostly met my goals and continued along the path I'd picked out. The summary isn't too exciting...but I am looking forward to the next challenge which will focus on continuing to train hard but making that balance with the rest of life.

Goal 1: Complete 1 Max Strength / Core Workout each Week
Week 1: Done!
Week 2: Done!
Week 3: Done!
Week 4: Not allowed, rest week

Goal 2: Go Rock Climbing each Week
Week 1: Climbed indoors with friends.
Week 2: Climbed indoors twice and finished my project route
Week 3: Climbed indoors once
Week 4: Climbed indoors once

Goal 3: One Zone 3 Hill Climb each Week
Week 1: Done, Accomplished with the combination of a Zone 1 Hill Climb and a Zone 3 4 mile run.
Week 2: Done! New best time accomplished with a 30 pound pack.
Week 3: Done! Zone 2 run (2 vs 3 due to running with coworker)
Week 4: Not allowed, rest week

Goal 4: One Hike each Weekend
Week 1: Completed with a 45 pound pack.
Week 2: Completed with a 30 pound pack.
Week 3: Completed with a 35 pound pack. Also: played with crampons on a snow hill.
Week 4: Went on a "fun" hike (didn't count for training) with family on Saturday evening.

Goal 5: Accumulate Zone 1 Time
Week 1: 250 Minutes Done! Actual: 273 Minutes
Week 2: 275 Minutes Done (enough) Actual: 267
Week 3: 300 Minutes Incomplete. Actual: 227 minutes
Week 4: 210 Minutes Done! Actual: 210 minutes.

Bonus Points:
As part of the mountaineering class, I'm encouraged to schedule training hikes, runs, etc. for the other instructors and students. I would like to do at least two of these this month.
Week 1: No Progress
Week 2: No Progress
Week 3: Assisted with the class but not training hikes
Week 4: Taught a class, but no training hikes
  • Like 1

tinkerer

2 hours ago, tinkerer said:

Challenge Summary

I'm pretty happy with the results of this challenge. I mostly met my goals and continued along the path I'd picked out. The summary isn't too exciting...but I am looking forward to the next challenge which will focus on continuing to train hard but making that balance with the rest of life.

Very specific challenging goals.  I like the way you documented your accomplishments.  Nothing wishy washy.  Incredible challenge and results.

It's going to be very interesting watching how you go about prioritizing and balancing fitness goals w/ the rest of your life.

One of the guys who completed the Barclay 100mile run did it in about 55hours only took 1hr of sleep during his run.  If you change your mind, let me know and I'll drive down to watch.

Current Challenge 

Great work this month. Your goals were specific and easy to measure, which I find to be a big help. I liked the thoughts about seeking recognition, and I think it is perfectly valid as a motivation tactic, as long as no one is pushing you to do something you would not otherwise want to. It certainly doesn't sound like it for you. And that group picture is really cool!

Level 11 Sea Dragon

| Current Challenge: |

| Nov '16 | Sept/Oct '16 | Aug/Sep '16 | July/Aug '16 | June/July '16 | May '16 |

| Apr '16 | Mar '16 | Feb '16 | Jan '16 | Nov/Dec '15 |

Well done on this challenge Tink!   You have really been doing a lot here and I'm constantly impressed that you manage to keep up with all of it.   In fact, I'm curious to know where you feel you have improved the most in this challenge and since January?  In speed, stamina, technique or maybe even fitness philosophy? :P

I'm not sure how to really prepare last minute for races either.   From what I've gathered: you want to have a couple of rest days before the race for peak performance, to eat a high carb meal the day before and not to do anything too abnormal on Saturday or Sunday.   On that last run, you talked about the external factors that probably helped you to improve your speed - keep those in mind for your race :)

Level 11 Morgana Scout

STR 14|DEX 11|STA 31|CON 11|WIS 23|CHA 19

Current challenge:  Talvi makes tactical decisions | Epic quests: 2015, 2016 | Running instalog: new_tracks_to_follow | Previous challenges: -2 -1 etc...