Okay! Last challenge was reasonably successful!

I ate more protein for breakfast, tracked most of my meals, and kept up with my workouts.  

Q1: 25 g of protein for breakfast every day. 

I found the whole "Eat protein for breakfast" quest last challenge more confusing than motivating. Like...only protein? How much? So, yay for quantifying things!  25 g of protein to start off every day. 

Q2: Workout 3 times per week. 

I have had this in every challenge, which makes me wonder if, indeed, this counts as a challenge.  But it keeps me accountable to have it here. Three times per week. 

Q3: Check in with other Rebels at least once a week.  

I have felt lonely so I'm going to go to the Accountabilibuddies and see if I can find somebody to hang out with.  I run a business, which means I spend a LOT of time on the computer, and often I just can't make myself stay any longer to check in.  So I'm going to make it part of my challenge!

Life quest: 

I am still working on my business website and feel like I'm making good, exciting progress. My life quest is to have the site launched by the end of the challenge. 

• Like 2

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

Hiya! Also here from the accountabilibuddies thingamajig. 

I have had this in every challenge, which makes me wonder if, indeed, this counts as a challenge.  But it keeps me accountable to have it here. Three times per week. 

Well, if you ever want to mix it up, you could always make your workout goal more specific.

• Like 2

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

- E. Nesbit, The Magic City

Challenges:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

Hey, guys!! Thanks for checking in!  Like I said on the main group thread, it was really surprising and nice to see people in here. I'm going to check out your threads after this.  

Q1: 25 g of protein for breakfast every day. 

So far, so good! I've been at 100% this week. It's been a struggle some days, easy as can be other days.  I'm going to be grocery shopping tomorrow and I'm planning to add greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and more egg whites.  I did try to scramble some egg whites with cottage cheese....it was a dreadful, dreadful mistake. If you want to know what protein soup looks like, I found out.

I've done two of three so far--the next one is scheduled for tomorrow.  I'm up to 60 squats (total) and 38 knee pushups (total). I also threw in a plank at the end, I'm at 34 seconds. 

Q3: Check in with other Rebels at least once a week.  

I literally wouldn't be doing this update today if not for this challenge, so I'm really glad I added it in. 

Life quest: Work on business website every day.

To say I worked on this every day is an exaggeration. BUT I think I've settled on my business name and that is such a weight off my shoulder. 

Sometimes I just get exhausted trying to maintain all the changes I've been building into my life (cleaning every day, walking every day, drinking 96oz of water a day, tracking my finances, etc....) But I feel like these challenges give me such a good excuse to just refocus and remind myself of where I'm headed in the long term.  Makes it less frustrating when I slip.  SO...thanks for being here, buddies!

• Like 1

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

I did try to scramble some egg whites with cottage cheese....it was a dreadful, dreadful mistake. If you want to know what protein soup looks like, I found out.

Sounds like some mad science cooking.

Mad-science.gif

• Like 3

Stealthstitcher

"You see, what you've got to consider is: are you going to be the hero of this 'ere adventure, or ain't you? You can't 'ave it both ways."

Well, if you ever want to mix it up, you could always make your workout goal more specific.

I second this.  If you've firmly established a 3x per week habit, then it might be time to start setting goals for pieces of your workouts - how you want to go about progressing them.  For example:

I'm up to 60 squats (total) and 38 knee pushups (total). I also threw in a plank at the end, I'm at 34 seconds.

How many sets did it take to reach 60 squats?  How much rest time to you have between sets?  How many sets would you like to be able to do it in?  Would you like to decrease your rest times between sets?  Maybe you'd like to try advancing to a more challenging variation of squat and/or pushup in next month's challenge?

There are many specific goals you could set around your training to help you reach your next level.

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

I second this.  If you've firmly established a 3x per week habit, then it might be time to start setting goals for pieces of your workouts - how you want to go about progressing them.  For example:

Ah, I think this is where the rub is--I'm realizing that I'm not convinced it's firmly established. Even though I've been working out minimum 2x per week since July 2015, and have upgraded to 3x per week for at least 3 months--it still doesn't feel like the default to me. So, this conversation makes me realize exactly why I keep putting it on my challenges!  Thank you for your insight--I'll have to keep them in mind as I keep progressing. 

• Like 2

On 3/19/2016 at 8:56 AM, stealthstitcher said:

Still existing? How's it going?

Yes! Still here. Thank you for checking in and getting me back on the wagon. 

Here's how it's been...

Last Thursday (10 days ago, now), I was doing my usual workout and on the next-to-last squat, I definitely hurt something in my back.  Not bad, but a clear popping/twanging sensation in my lower back on my right side.  Tried to finish with my cool-down, etc, but there was definitely soreness and stiffness.  Basically I was rushing through my workout, distracted by a lot of things I needed to wrap up, and voila, injury.  Of course. 

Since then, my back has definitely not been feeling good. Doesn't help that I spent last weekend in Vegas at a bachelorette party, which is not exactly...recuperative.  I've been heating, resting, taking ibuprofen, and I got a massage.  I think we're finally back to ready-to-workout-again territory, though not at the same level.  

I'm going to keep with the current workout plan but I think next challenge I'll be incorporating more overall core strengthening.  And I want to be sure to give my workouts the time they need.  It was a hard week without the workouts (other than walks) and of course now that I haven't been doing it, it seems even harder some how to have to start again.  

Sigh. 

Anyway, I've been clinging by a thread to protein breakfasts--not doing a great job, but still trying to keep it in mind.  

Heading into the last week, I'm ready to finish strong! 

• Like 1

On 3/21/2016 at 2:01 AM, traaki said:

Last Thursday (10 days ago, now), I was doing my usual workout and on the next-to-last squat, I definitely hurt something in my back.  

Injuries are so frustrating. At least you know how it happened, rather than mystery pulled muscles from nowhere. It is hard to get back at it, especially if you feel like you've had to go back a few steps. But it will be worth it, so don't give up!

• Like 1

Stealthstitcher

Agh, that does sound uncomfortable....Good to see you know what you need to do to prevent. I myself was shocked on how easy it was to strain my thighs when I started strength training last Friday (the things we take for granted...)

Give you luck on your breakfasts! Along with this last week!

How has your website been going?

• Like 1

Larger than Average Fairy Druid Level 1

10 STR / 8 DEX / 10 CON / 13 INT / 13 WIS / 17 CHA

(DnD Stats)

Well, I finished strong on the breakfasts! 

I didn't work out this week.  We had company and just...I didn't.  My back is feeling good again.  I'm going to start tomorrow with the BWW Level 1 from the Academy.   I was doing the 100 pushup and 100 squat challenge, which I was keeping up with until I hurt myself. But even before I hurt myself, I was feeling a little overtrained (I guess that's the word?) on those two actions and a little imbalanced overall. I think I have finally realized that I really should just stick with the same workout basically forever more--I switched it up for a while, but it makes it hard to keep in a good habit. 

I did okay about checking in!  I'm glad you guys were here to keep me accountable and cheer me on, especially with the injury setback.  I want to be better next time. 

As for the website, I didn't make a lot of progress over the last week.  Wah-wah.  There are reasons but those are never all that interesting. 

I saw that there's now a week break between challenges.  I think it's a good change, although the start week will be my sister's wedding so I'm a bit nervous about that.  Still! Onward, upward! 

• Like 2

Great you ended well with breakfasts, and had taken your week "off' more to see what you need to be doing.

Give you luck as you prepare for next week! Of course the one time the challenge is changed your busy when it starts.

Followed you so I can check on you, trying to make a better system to keep with all my cool new buddies.

Larger than Average Fairy Druid Level 1

10 STR / 8 DEX / 10 CON / 13 INT / 13 WIS / 17 CHA

(DnD Stats)

Hey, all---I just announced a respawn over on my battle log.  Thank you all for being my buddies during that last challenge in the spring!  I am not participating in the current one but am excited to get back into the swing of things.